• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

most technical charakter in smash 64

fatman.spam

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0920-1985-1832
Hi
who is the most technical charakter in smash 64?
I have trouble finding a main, and I like technical charakters.

Kirbstomper

Smash Apprentice
You cAn be technical with any character, the difference between my Kirby and kero's is huge because of how much more technical he is. That being said I think fox is the most technical, but just because the other characters aren't as technical doesn't mean they aren't both fun and worthwhile to play with.

Last edited:

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
It semi depends on whether you include technical as just well techniques or as being much harder to combo with/use on a high level.

If I had to tier it, though I am not sure about some of the order.

Without any question the top 3
Fox/
Yoshi
Ness

Semi:
Link
Falcon (Technical)
Mario
Pikachu

Not really:
DK
Jiggles
Kirby

Nope:
Samus
Luigi
Falcon (Basic)

In terms of Bottom:
Luigi is on the bottom for basically being not technical at all ouside of down b mashings. Samus has a teleport but it isn't as useful as Jiggles/Fox. Basic falcon is up air/up b and pray not to get hit.

In terms of not really:
Kirby has pivot up tilt at least, DK has u-air platform shenanigans/weird down b cancels/charge b reverses. Jiggles has the most useful teleport and can do some weird pound gimmicks/some weird hitbox gimmicks that are slightly technical.

In terms of Semi (not sure about order:
Pikachu has all the different up b angles as well as up b ledge cancels, f-air auto-cancels (see Dex3r vs. Isai for a good examples) and otherwise. Mario has harder down b mashing as well as that annoying to input d-air to u-air string. Falcon is just fast and pivoting/other movement options add. Link is just difficult to use.

In terms of top, Ness has DJL for movement and fast DJCs. Fox has ridiculous shine usage and is similar to Link as he is plain hard to use. Yoshi has DJC, slight DJL usage, and parries which in terms of hand speed edge him on top. However, his combos are frankly easier than Fox so I would put Fox as slightly harder to use.

Last edited:

Shears

Smash Master
It semi depends on whether you include technical as just well techniques or as being much harder to combo with/use on a high level.

If I had to tier it, though I am not sure about some of the order.

Without any question the top 3
Fox/
Yoshi
Ness

Semi:
Link
Falcon (Technical)
Mario
Pikachu

Not really:
DK
Jiggles
Kirby

Nope:
Falcon (Basic)
Samus
Luigi

In terms of Bottom:
Luigi is on the bottom for basically being not technical at all ouside of down b mashings. Samus has a teleport but it isn't as useful as Jiggles/Fox. Basic falcon is up air/up b and pray not to get hit.

In terms of not really:
Kirby has pivot up tilt at least, DK has u-air platform shenanigans/weird down b cancels/charge b reverses. Jiggles has the most useful teleport and can do some weird pound gimmicks/some weird hitbox gimmicks that are slightly technical.

In terms of Semi (not sure about order:
Pikachu has all the different up b angles as well as up b ledge cancels, f-air auto-cancels (see Dex3r vs. Isai for a good examples) and otherwise. Mario has harder down b mashing as well as that annoying to input d-air to u-air string. Falcon is just fast and pivoting/other movement options add. Link is just difficult to use.

In terms of top, Ness has DJL for movement and fast DJCs. Fox has ridiculous shine usage and is similar to Link as he is plain hard to use. Yoshi has DJC, slight DJL usage, and parries which in terms of hand speed edge him on top. However, his combos are frankly easier than Fox so I would put Fox as slightly harder to use.
I think Luigi and Samus are both more technical than Kirby or standard Falcon. Luigi in order to get upb kills needs to do a lot of fast falling with uairs and running uairs to avoid usmash which are much harder than closing your eyes and pushing up and a with Kirby or Falcon. Also, Samus requires a degree of technique since shield dropping and rising dairs as soon as possible can result in very punishable grabs if off by a few frames and doing them late makes them much less effective. Bomb setups and run off dair to reverse neutral b to upb is more technical than anything Kirby or Falcon have. Falcon can be played more technical than either but his success does not depend on it and any technical use is purely flash, while with Samus and Luigi, if they want to be formidable they have to have much better tech skill. Additionally, any missed Z cancels by Luigi or Samus are far more costly than a missed Z cancel by Kirby or Falcon meaning the technical consistency and precision is much more important.

Last edited:

Yobolight

Smash Lord
Is Link really "technical" or just complicated? Serious question.

He certainly has some atypical properties (his slow jump frames) that make him difficult for a non-Link player to pick up and use effectively, but I can't think of any essential techniques that require a lot technical prowess.

Last edited:

Fireblaster

Smash Lord

He certainly has some atypical properties (his slow jump frames) that make him difficult for a non-Link player to pick up and use effectively, but I can't think of any essential techniques that require a lot technical prowess.
ledge cancelled upB's is practically the only thing that makes him viable at the highest levels of smash.

MrMarbles

Smash Lord

i find anything involving his boomerang to be difficult for me

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
His strings are also weirdly technical. You don't see many really good links for a good reason.

Shears

Smash Master
Yeah I would say complicated in a way is technical. His combos require a great deal of precision especially if they involve his boomerang or bombs and fast fall uairs, weak hits of nair, etc. If the demand for precision and accuracy isn't technical then you will have to tell me what is. Micro timing and finesse is as technical as high apm. For example, high jump is considered a very technical event in track and field but does not require a lot of strength or speed, instead it just requires a lot of finesse and form. This form and finesse is called technique and is what makes it technical.

It is a good point to bring up that complicated does not necessarily mean technical and vice versa. Although when it comes to smash, I think the two are synonymous more than they aren't.

Combo Blaze

Smash Ace
Linking weak moves and boomerang isn't that hard. It ain't standard but it ain't hard.

His strings are also weirdly technical. You don't see many really good links for a good reason.
I'd say it's because Link requires good spacing and control of the stage. If you can't keep an aggressive player at bay you're gonna get bodied since lots of Link's moves are slow to come out.

KoRoBeNiKi

Smash Hero
Writing Team
Slippi.gg
KORO#668
I added all three on top as they are easily the most technical. I add ness to the same technical high level as he has the fastest DJCs as well as DJC rushing for movement.

weedwack

Smash Journeyman
ness is most difficulty to operation

Rushing is the hardest competitively relevant technique in the game

D

Deleted member

T. Yoshisaur Munchakoopas

Last edited by a moderator:

Earthward Bound

Smash Cadet
Maybe not everyone has the same idea in mind when they think of "technical" but when I consider what this encompasses i think of not only technical single moves like shield parry, shine cancell, djc, sh double uar, pivot utilt ect but I also think it should include how moves flow and the proficiency to excute them ie. a characters complexity like tech chase / rushing with ness and then following up for a 0-death or continuing combos / strings with characters like link or fox.

Im not going to go into everything in an effort to keep this short but but I think fox is the clear winner for this title/category. He has an array of some of the single most technical moves which are pretty much vital to his success including shine shenanigans, sh double laser (properly), more of a demand for proficiency, timing, and spacing in everything Including things such as sourspotting aerials and reverse hitboxes. He might not have djc but I'd argue sh z-cancelled aeriels are pretty technical as well.

All of this stuff is pretty technical **** but the craziest thing about fox is your pretty much stringing all of this together non-stop requiring quick percise reactions with a cool finesse touch with probably a higher penalty of failure.

Fox is like a technical marathon whereas characters like yoshi and ness are more like going for short technical sprints.

Top Bottom