• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most technical character?

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
For you who is it?
For me it's definitely Ryu, his moves are pretty much technical. :p

pershona

Smash Journeyman
Pac/Greninja/RosaLuma/Sheik/Peach are all some of the more technical characters, though i'm not really which is the most technical.
Ryu isn't honestly that technical if you know really basic SF footsies/fundamentals.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Pac/Greninja/RosaLuma/Sheik/Peach are all some of the more technical characters, though i'm not really which is the most technical.
Ryu isn't honestly that technical if you know really basic SF footsies/fundamentals.
Well the problem is that he can do a lot of combos that are precise, but I also agree when you say that Sheik, Rosa and Peach are technical :)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Probably Rosalina, though have heard of Ryu having a lot of difficult techniques. Even so, the amount of tech Rosalina has, and pretty much needs, like Lunar Landing is about as technical as this game's going to get.

Dark Dr. Pink-Gold Pit Jr

Smash Apprentice
NNID
bloxxed
In order from least to greatest, these are my top 5:

:4ryu::4littlemac::4pacman::rosalina::4megaman:

Ryu mostly relies on execution, making him not terribly technical, which is something people exaggerate heavily.
Little Mac because you make one or two mistakes and you're down a stock.
Pac-Man because Pac-Man.
Rosalina because getting Luma into place is no easy feat with how sluggish neutral B is.
Mega Man because land anything other and Metal Blade and you need to reset.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In terms of versatility, Rosalina is probably #1, all thanks to her Luma partner adding to her combat options.

D

Deleted member

I'd say:4pikachu:, if I'm going to be rather honest. There's so much you have to do to play this character optimally, especially with his deadly combo and edgeguarding game. That, and you're not going to master a move as unwieldy as Quick Attack overnight.

D

Deleted member 269706

For me it's between Peach, Rosalina, and Ryu. Ryu has so many options and funky combo options, Rosalina has the luma shenanigans, and Peach has the float ability which can be used in really interesting ways.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
In order from least to greatest, these are my top 5:

:4ryu::4littlemac::4pacman::rosalina::4megaman:

Ryu mostly relies on execution, making him not terribly technical, which is something people exaggerate heavily.
Little Mac because you make one or two mistakes and you're down a stock.
Pac-Man because Pac-Man.
Rosalina because getting Luma into place is no easy feat with how sluggish neutral B is.
Mega Man because land anything other and Metal Blade and you need to reset.
Well, execution with Ryu is kinda technical too, when you see Trela or Mr R doing a dair to true shoryuken, you're like D1, saying "HOLD DA PHONE"

a dog

Smash Cadet
Well, execution with Ryu is kinda technical too, when you see Trela or Mr R doing a dair to true shoryuken, you're like D1, saying "HOLD DA PHONE"
That sounds pretty simple to me tbh, execution-wise. SF special move inputs aren't hard if you've had experience with them in the past.

What seems tricky to me is doing the correct tilts you want in the heat of battle. It'd suck you accidentally pressed A for too long and ended doing a heavy attack instead of the lighter one you wanted, ending up with a heavy punish from your opponent. Even worse if you're having to play a lagged match online, that could get frustrating fast.

Note that this is only my speculation, since I don't own the character, sadly.

Last edited:

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Agree with most of these, especially Duck Hunt and Little Mac (Big surprise, I know)

Duck Hunt players have already gotta think about how and when to use their projectiles like how Pac Man players have to decide which fruit/item will work best for them in the heat of battle, but Duck Hunt has the added stress of being the weakest character in the game, so you've constantly got to be thinking "How am I going to take off their stock" when literally your only options are grab set up into can or up air and hard read a forward smash (Pray all the hits line up too)

Little Mac is just as stressful, cause one wrong move means you're losing your stock at 20%. You can not afford to mess up anything, especially since pretty much none of Mac's moves are safe on shield, it's not even about whiffing as it is "I need to hit the opponent with this move or else". Of course recovery is a ***** too, having to make split second choices on whether to recover high or recover low, and even if you do your best to read your opponent you'll still have to end up eating a Falcon dair or a Villager fsmash just because "Oh yeah I'm Mac I can't do **** about that"

It's really what sucks about technical characters who end up being lower tier, you can work your ass off trying to make something work and you'll still get killed when your opponent is at 150% when you were at 80% and they managed to kill you with something way easier than what you could do. Mac can perfectly space a ftilt and still get killed from a Mario gimp that anyone can do in their sleep. Duck Hunt can set up as many obstacle courses and try their hardest to land that up air only to eat a Falcon bair because of one misstep.

TL:DR: Little Mac and Duck Hunt are pretty technical

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Little Mac is just as stressful, cause one wrong move means you're losing your stock at 20%. You can not afford to mess up anything, especially since pretty much none of Mac's moves are safe on shield, it's not even about whiffing as it is "I need to hit the opponent with this move or else". Of course recovery is a ***** too, having to make split second choices on whether to recover high or recover low, and even if you do your best to read your opponent you'll still have to end up eating a Falcon dair or a Villager fsmash just because "Oh yeah I'm Mac I can't do **** about that"
Let's also not forget that Little Mac has arguably THE worst recovery of any fighter. Jolt Haymaker hinders Little Mac's horizontal mobility upon ending, and Rising Uppercut hardly offers any horizontal movement. And the custom variants of those moves don't make things any better either.

Little Mac is heavily screwed when it comes to long distance recoveries, since his air mobility is only average, and he falls quite fast as well. And of course, the flaws that Jolt Haymaker and Rising Uppercut have add to the problems.

DashGarnett

Smash Rookie
As a Rosalina & Luma main I would say that she is very technical and has a very very high skill cap. However with the basics down unless you want to get further into the character it is not that hard to be okay/good with the character. Peach to me definitely is one of the most technical characters. To me it seems as though she is one of those characters that in order to be good with you constantly have to keep up the practice because of how technical her float techs and follow ups on moves are. Her turnips also provide high skill level sets ups which are hard to master. I am trying to learn her but its hard and a little weird at times.

Lag Chan

Fastfall Nair Everyday
NNID
BlankaHondaShrek
Eh, I wouldn't really agree with :rosalina::4pikachu::4ryu:. They're all extremely good even if you don't have an extremely technical playstyle, I mean Rosalina has one of the best movesets in the game with how good the hitboxes are, Pikachu is so easy to approach and combo with and literally everything Ryu does hits like a truck. They're still characters that have really high skill ceilings, but the effort it takes to use them is nowhere near some of the other characters in the game.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
Pikachu's Quick Attack can be tricky to utilize just right though, but at least Quick Feet is a manageable alternative for Pikachu if you're just not able to handle the two warps very well.

DashGarnett

Smash Rookie
Eh, I wouldn't really agree with :rosalina::4pikachu::4ryu:. They're all extremely good even if you don't have an extremely technical playstyle, I mean Rosalina has one of the best movesets in the game with how good the hitboxes are, Pikachu is so easy to approach and combo with and literally everything Ryu does hits like a truck. They're still characters that have really high skill ceilings, but the effort it takes to use them is nowhere near some of the other characters in the game.
Of course not using hem is the easy part the hard part is to be able to use their certain techs. Using and applying the other techniques take a high skill cap. For example, lunar landings with rosaluma, ryus more technical and precise combos, making good use of pikachus quick attack like edge canceling it for instance. These techniques are hard to learn and apply therefore making the character more technical.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Ya'll are saying :4olimar: is technical because of Pikmin management, right? Hmm..

Anyway, definitely :4peach:, :4megaman: and :4pacman:. I also want to point out :4shulk: , he's a very technical character with all of his options. I've seen some amazing things pulled off by some good Shulks (and had them pulled off on me xD)

Last edited:

Harb

Smash Cadet
NNID
Harb323
Switch FC
SW-2002-6569-6711
I think that Peach, Toon Link, and Pac-Man are very technical.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Ryu might hit like a truck but its main problem is that its moves are really short

False

Smash Lord
NNID
Falsified
'Pac isn't honestly that technical if you know really basic fruit set ups and hydrant gimmicks'
'Greninja isn't honestly that technical if you know really basic footstool set ups'
'RosaLuma isn't honestly that technical if you know jab'

...see what you might be doing? ^w^

Top Boss

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PizzaMonkey24
3DS FC
2449-5103-4580
I honestly don't think Ryu is that technical.

GooberGaming

Smash Apprentice
Let's also not forget that Little Mac has arguably THE worst recovery of any fighter. Jolt Haymaker hinders Little Mac's horizontal mobility upon ending, and Rising Uppercut hardly offers any horizontal movement. And the custom variants of those moves don't make things any better either.

Little Mac is heavily screwed when it comes to long distance recoveries, since his air mobility is only average, and he falls quite fast as well. And of course, the flaws that Jolt Haymaker and Rising Uppercut have add to the problems.
His Rising Uppercut is also pretty useful when you use it to recover below the stage because the hit box will go through the floor of some stages.

Also, his counter can be used to recover since you do move forward in the air after a successful counter. Although it is very situational, it is indeed very handy to use and it can be a life saver in a situation where your opponent tries to do disrespectful gimp even though you do not have a chance to recover back to the stage. PLUS... even though you know you won`t make it back to the stage and will lose the match... at least you got the last hit in the match... :p

TIL

Smash Rookie
NNID
SDMdom
Toon Link is easily among the most technical.

ghWyPakDzVvPncx76h2J

Smash Cadet
Most Technical? Undoubtably the mighty master of combos Ryu.
Personally here's my list of what I believe are characters that are the most technical characters and require some form of technical skill in order to be proficient with them (greatest to least):
:4ryu::rosalina::4sheik::4shulk::4greninja::4peach::4megaman::4duckhunt::4diddy::4fox:
Why Ryu?
Well one it's not whether you have to be technical to use the character, but look at all the serious timing and the combos you have to do. Ryu is a character that uses his sour spots for combos (weak fair is a good example) and seriously just take a look at all the advanced techniques he has and how APPLICABLE (Key Word here) they are. You can have as many character specific techs as you want, but they still won't be that apply-able to an actual competitive setting. Shaku Hovers, all the Focus Attack tech, b-reversing true inputs (a b reverse, but with inputs on top of that) and footstool combos. Then you mix all that into getting stuff like descending dragon (look up hooded's video of that) focus attack onto someone then start off a long foot stool string starting with sourspot fair into footstool then into sourtspot nair to extend the lock considering they didn't tech now you could let them get up, but then decide to b reverse a shakanetsu hadouken knowing they will shield as soon as they get up then run up to collarbone breaker thus getting a shield break then starting another footstool string. There is just so much with this character and it's hard arguing that a character with 2 times more tilt/jab attacks is not technical. There is just so much to this character that any technical savvy person would have fun enjoying him, he's far from a character you can just learn in one day. Yes he is pretty good even if you aren't really trying to be technical, but he is input heavy and has very APPLICABLE techs.
Why Rosalina & Luma?
This is a character that strives off of very strict inputs and being aware at all times, but really doesn't make you technical, I do not consider olimar that technical or even mid tier, but having to work with two entities it a lot of work and something that requires work to the point where she is heavily reliant on careful inputs after all she doesn't have quick frame data so whatever you can make due with is great enough.
Why Sheik?
Quick frame data doesn't garner you wins, you also have to have the technical skill of just meshing together combos, planning out fairs, and this character is very bread and butter. You pretty much have to know how to use combos to play this character. For the record combos that require you to have quick inputs and at the right time do make a character very technical (good example would be Evil Ryu from Street Fighter 4: Arcade Edition). Now as if that wasn't enough you have some trouble killing and as a result you're going to have to form combos like nairs to up smash or fair to bouncing fish in order to really get those kills and are not something that is easy to pick up and immediately know as soon as you just play the character.
Why Shulk?
Much like the same case with Rosalina and Luma you have terrible frame data, make due with what you have so as a result of this you have to be technical to some degree in order to perfect your Shulk. Not every shulk uses MAALC (Monado Arts Auto Landing Cancel), but it is there and requires a hefty amount of technical know how to get it to work and as a result adds another layer to this character.
Why Greninja?
Like Sheik he has bread and butter combos and unlike Sheik his movement is much different being very high traction. This is a character I don't have 10+ hours of playing experience so I can't fully speak for him, but looking at his footstool combos really requires some serious inputs and even then you have to have full control over your character in order to utilize.
Why Peach?
I don't have much experience, but this character is honestly bad if you aren't playing that technical with and this character has a hover, literally they should immediately make this character technical, look at Mario Tennis Ultra Smash or any other mario game, Peach is labeled as Technical and in this game she is made to be technical, because wow that moveset is not something I could just pick up and use to a competitive potential in just a day.
Why Megaman?
He doesn't play like a Smash Character, like Ryu you have to just utilize a certain way to get that potential into the character and you want to get the opponent to be playing your own game and that is much more necessary with megaman.
Why Duck Hunt?
Duck Hunt is a character that requires you to try and get the most out of everything. He is a character that has poor autocancel frames (his fair my god) so just like Shulk he has to utilize whatever he can, and the best way to put his technical skill comparison would probably be to Guile in Street Fighter. You want aerial control, and ground control, the cans are your flash kicks, and the gunmen + frisbees are your sonic booms. Use them to gain stage control then when you have them in shield go in and mix in grabs and carefully placed aerials and ground attacks much like Guile in Street Fighter when he has the opponent where he wants him.
Why Diddy Kong?
Yes, diddy kong is technical and requires strict inputs. I don't think this is debate-able that much honestly because if you remember pre hoo-hah patch he was argue-ably the most technical character at that time and true to that he still is, but with the nerf of his combo throw and the nerfs to his up air he has became less reliant on trying to perfect his down throw combos and has essentially became less technical because of it.
Why Fox?
Like Greninja he requires strong control over your movement and is fast and historically speaking fast characters are technical, in this game he is pretty technical for example timing that down air to lead into down tilt to up air or his great combos that can shield break and yes you need to be technical to really just expand upon your moveset. Some good examples are fast fall fair to foot stool (Very great and non-situational at that too!).

Now the word technical is thrown around a lot, but let's ask ourselves? What defines a technical character? Well for me and historically it has been fast or very combo orientated characters as well as input heavy, having non-situational techniques and advanced techniques that prove to be useful with the character. Good examples to remind ourselves of what constitutes a technical character is Melee Fox, Evil Ryu in Ultra Street Fighter 4 (one frame links), Guile in Street Fighter, and a good example of a character that has to be technical is ice climbers in brawl or any other character that has to rely on infinites in any fighting game in order to stay viable. Also keep in mind there is a DIFFERENCE between TECHNICAL CHARACTERS and MOST TECHNICAL. Ryu isn't not technical because he doesn't seem like he has to use his techniques to win. There's a difference between the two phrases. Now that's my take on what I believe are the most technical smash 4 characters in top 10 order.

VPTurnip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Turnip
3DS FC
0920-3141-8524
Why Sheik?
Quick frame data doesn't garner you wins, you also have to have the technical skill of just meshing together combos, planning out fairs, and this character is very bread and butter. You pretty much have to know how to use combos to play this character.
I might be wrong, but this whole part here seems to contradict itself. Maybe I'm reading it wrong? In any case, I disagree with Sheik being more technical than Shulk, Duck Hunt, and most of all Peach. Peach has a lot more combo potential and requires a lot more skill to pull off her combos in general than Sheik does.

Yes, you have to be fast with Sheik to effectively string, but her options simply don't require just as much thought as Peach's do.

That said I do agree Sheik is pretty technical, and takes skill to use well, but as you said, a lot of the stuff they do is "very bread and butter" and comes a lot more easily than Peach. On the other hand, Peach has an easier time killing than Sheik does, I think? Usmash, Dsmash, Bair, Fair, and Fsmash are all good kill moves for Peach, and yeah she has a lot more kill options overall, especially with her turnip game. If you like I can provide links to some videos showcasing the two, always fun to watch! ^_^

Oh, and other than that I agree with your entire post! I enjoyed reading what you said about Ryu. You make a good case for him.

Toon Link is easily among the most technical.
Honestly I don't know. TL's metagame is a little lacking, he definitely has more potential than you usually see.
I think TL has a lot more to show off on the competitive scene than we know.

Last edited:

Vyrnx

Smash Ace
:4peach::4zss::4pacman:

Maybe :4metaknight::4greninja::4ryu::4duckhunt:

Don't think anyone else is really that technical in this game.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

I'm surprised that not many people have mentioned :4shulk:.
Shulk is the most technical character in the series in my eyes.
His moves have terrible frame data, meaning that his moves have some start up and have terrible endlag.
Then we get to the Monado Arts, which you need to know what Monado Art to use and when. This is not very easy to do and sometimes you will go past the Monado Art that you want.
Finally, we get to MALLC (Monado Arts Landing Lag Cancel), which is basically required if you want to master Shulk. If you are not good at it, you might not make it far with him.
For these reasons (and perhaps more), Shulk is the most technical character in my opinion since he demands so much in competitive play. He requires a lot of knowledge, timing, and perhaps even patience.

After Shulk, I say that it would be :4ryu: with his intricate combos, tilts, and command inputs and :4peach: with her Turnips and floats. In my experiences with Ryu, I say that he is technical, but he is easier to play with compared to Shulk.

Last edited by a moderator:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
The contrast between a green Rosalina and a knowledgable is Rosalina is wide enough that she deserves to be called one of, if not the most technical character. Same with Ryu.

Goolloom

Smash Apprentice
If you're speaking of technical level, Top 5 most technical would be Sheik, Rosalina, Ryu, Pac-Man and Shulk.

Zi^

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThaLegundOfLonk
3DS FC
2767-0988-1706
Shulk.
You must know when to use the right Monado, cancel Landing Lag with them, his moves are pretty laggy, and he's REALLY FEELING IT.

Onorable Mention cuz why not
Peach, with her floats, turnips, and footstool combos.

Top Bottom