• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most technical character?

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
:4shulk::4sheik::4ryu::4peach::4tlink:
Top 5 (not in order)
Technical is about inputs and techs, (Rosa isn't here because she doesn't requiere to many inputs, she may be in high skill cap but not here, I know she has some good and difficult techs but still).

Last edited:

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
:4sheik: Most advanced character in the game because everyone plays her.
:4shulk: His game literally revolves around AT's and monado's.
:4peach: Generally agreed upon.
:4mewtwo: There is a lot of Very technical things about Mewtwo.
:4ryu: Pretty obvious
:4duckhunt: Interesting projectile game
:4megaman: Same, plus interesting mechanics and AT's.
:4pacman: Same, plus AT's.

This list isn't in any particular order.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
I can understand that Mario might be an actual technical character, but most of his combo are like easy bake one, I mean some chars have much harder combos difficult to execute, like the Greninja crazy combos, Ryu's one and Sheik one also.
So for me I easily agree that Ryu, Sheik, Mega Man, Pac and Greninja are quite technical and difficult to master.

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
This might make me seen bias since I main bowser Jr but when you only see tweek doing something then that tells you he's an incredibly hard character to master competitive wise.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
It's hard to narrow it down to one category, so I'll make two-
In terms of physical difficulty (Inputs, etc.):
:4ryu:(Why the hell did they even put in like 50 different attack inputs for this guy? Seriously. Seems so out of place in Smash.)
:4peach:(Everytime I pick up Peach I cannot for the life of me get her floating mechanic to work in my favor...)
:4pikachu:(I hear Pikachu is pretty hellish to get right, dunno how apt that is.)
:4sheik:(I feel that if I can play Sheik well, she can't be that hard. Still, her inputs are intensive.)
:4fox:(Arbitrary Fox.)

In terms of mental difficulty (Techs, strats, etc.):
:rosalina:(LUMA LOL)
:4duckhunt:(Shooter shenanigans etc. Duck Hunt basically relies on pressuring with specials to even recover.)
:4megaman:(I've never seen a good MegaMan player make it look simple. Correct me on this if you feel the need to.)
:4olimar:(Just because of Pikmin Management.)
:4shulk:(Monado management and things like MALLC. Plus poor frame data.)

Special mentions to:
:4ness: for being neither of the above. (Kappa.)
:4littlemac: for being deceptively difficult to play well. (None of that FG rushdown BS. I s2g.)
:4pacman: because its god-damned Pac-Man and his strats are... Kind of insane and usually impractical.

Why are a lot of people saying Peach?
Have you seen Peach combo vids? Combine her floating mechanic with strict timings, turnip throws, etc, and it's quite the nightmare.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I'd say it's Peach. In order to optimise your performance with her, you need to know exactly how her float mechanic works and be able to register the myriad of precise inputs and techniques that come with it. Her main gimmick is the fact that she has an entire movement option that's unique to her - I think it's fair to say she's one of the most technically demanding characters in the roster, if not the most.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
I'm near one of the best Olimar mains playing the game, and you'd be surprised. If you're just throwing your pikmen out randomly then you're playing the character wrong. There's a lot of pikmen management involved.
Precisely this. Even in Brawl, Olimar is a tough character to use right, all because he needs the right Pikmin to be able to quickly KO stuff. In fact, Olimar has often been one of my least favorite characters to use in Smash Bros., all because of the Pikmin management that's heavily involved with his battle style.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Just saying guys, technical characters are characters who usually have A.) a ton of options available to them, more than most if not all the characters in the cast and B.) tons of freedom to do a variety things to a opponent and a high skill cap, because it's hard to optimize their play style when they have so much freedom to utilize. With that being said, I would say Ryu, peach, rosaluma and sheik off the top of my head.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
See, I think people aren't clear on their definition of "technical".

When I hear "technical", I think of characters that have actual techs. How many you need to learn and how difficult they are. In that instance, I would easily say :rosalina: is the most technical, since being able to be in two places at once and having to literally understand two entirely different movesets and use them simultaneously is something that opens up literally endless possibilities. She has no forseeable skill cap, this is a character that you can keep pushing and pushing with and is as good as your understanding of her is. I believe she doesn't have any lopsided or notably bad MUs for that reason (closest one IMO is Shulk). This is also the reason why when speaking to Rosalina mains, they all have trouble with different MUs from my experience. I find :4falcon: to be one of the easiest MUs in the game with her, yet I've met some Rosalina mains who think he's one of the worst. Which is due to wide amount of different ways people play her. Rosalina is without a doubt the most technical, open-ended character in the game. She will be as good as you are willing to make her.
Following her in no order, I think :4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4shulk: are the most technical. That'd more or less be my top 5.

However, if we talk about characters that NEED their tech to even be half decent in casual play, and in competitive play, then the rankings would change.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
See, I think people aren't clear on their definition of "technical".

When I hear "technical", I think of characters that have actual techs. How many you need to learn and how difficult they are. In that instance, I would easily say :rosalina: is the most technical, since being able to be in two places at once and having to literally understand two entirely different movesets and use them simultaneously is something that opens up literally endless possibilities. She has no forseeable skill cap, this is a character that you can keep pushing and pushing with and is as good as your understanding of her is. I believe she doesn't have any lopsided or notably bad MUs for that reason (closest one IMO is Shulk). This is also the reason why when speaking to Rosalina mains, they all have trouble with different MUs from my experience. I find :4falcon: to be one of the easiest MUs in the game with her, yet I've met some Rosalina mains who think he's one of the worst. Which is due to wide amount of different ways people play her. Rosalina is without a doubt the most technical, open-ended character in the game. She will be as good as you are willing to make her.
Following her in no order, I think :4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4shulk: are the most technical. That'd more or less be my top 5.

However, if we talk about characters that NEED their tech to even be half decent in casual play, and in competitive play, then the rankings would change.
Techs would Imply options, so we can have a universal definition. It's simply the characters with the most options to do stuff and utilize.

Got4n

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Dalil50
Why are a lot of people saying Peach?
many many technics with his float and that thing is really hard to control, you can do fast fall float (you gotta press down at exact moment) and nair to do a fast lagless nair :p

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Peach requires a lot of tech skill.
RosaLuma requires good control of spacing and tech skill.
Shiek requires fast inputs, tech skill and AT knowledge
plus the rest of my previous list.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
Most Technical top 5 in my eyes in order are... :rosalina::4peach::4ryu::4sheik::4olimar:

:rosalina: Controlling an entire other entity, and managing it's spacing and attacks is a very intensive objective. Adds theoretically limitless methodology to your gameplay, and being very mindful with all of your movement options to keep Luma/Rosa safe. Mastery of these techniques can truly catch your opponent off guard and make them feel powerless if you keep your Luma in play as long as possible.

:4peach: As an individual character no one really compares with Peach's abundant options regarding using her float mechanic and combo ability. Ive seen potential combo's that would make Street Fighter aficionados blush. Add onto that mixing up jumps and floating into attacks with ideal spacing and peach is highly technical to play, with arguably one of the greatest skill ceilings.

:4ryu: With multiple combo and mix-up options Ryu has so many options open to him that he is undoubtedly the Combo Master of smash, and utilizing those tools to your greatest efficiency takes highly technical mastery of his tool-set. In order to set up for these moves you need to react well to your opponents options to approach, which layers into how you utilize Ryu best. While this apply's to the entire cast, Ryu benefits from catching your opponent at opportune times more than most.

:4sheik: She is all about combo strings and setting up favorable spacing which guarantees her frame Data can strike first compared to her opponent. Ive played Shiek very little but if you do not play to her strengths in this way with superior spacing and combo efficiency she becomes no more a threat than most of the cast. With alot of forethought and reads Shiek can completely outmatch her opponent with combo pressure and has arguable the greatest punish game like no other. "Wish her Fair wasn't UnFair.. but i digress"

:4olimar: Sorry Oli i know how intensive pikmen are to manage/use for attacks and projectiles, but i just don't know enough about you to be presumptuous enough to write something about why you are worthy of #5 in technicality.

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
:zelda: Zelda
You have to be very precise with her.

Last edited:

_SoRa_

Smash Cadet
Most Technical top 5 in my eyes in order are... :rosalina::4peach::4ryu::4sheik::4olimar:

:rosalina: Controlling an entire other entity, and managing it's spacing and attacks is a very intensive objective. Adds theoretically limitless methodology to your gameplay, and being very mindful with all of your movement options to keep Luma/Rosa safe. Mastery of these techniques can truly catch your opponent off guard and make them feel powerless if you keep your Luma in play as long as possible.

:4peach: As an individual character no one really compares with Peach's abundant options regarding using her float mechanic and combo ability. Ive seen potential combo's that would make Street Fighter aficionados blush. Add onto that mixing up jumps and floating into attacks with ideal spacing and peach is highly technical to play, with arguably one of the greatest skill ceilings.

:4ryu: With multiple combo and mix-up options Ryu has so many options open to him that he is undoubtedly the Combo Master of smash, and utilizing those tools to your greatest efficiency takes highly technical mastery of his tool-set. In order to set up for these moves you need to react well to your opponents options to approach, which layers into how you utilize Ryu best. While this apply's to the entire cast, Ryu benefits from catching your opponent at opportune times more than most.

:4sheik: She is all about combo strings and setting up favorable spacing which guarantees her frame Data can strike first compared to her opponent. Ive played Shiek very little but if you do not play to her strengths in this way with superior spacing and combo efficiency she becomes no more a threat than most of the cast. With alot of forethought and reads Shiek can completely outmatch her opponent with combo pressure and has arguable the greatest punish game like no other. "Wish her Fair wasn't UnFair.. but i digress"

:4olimar: Sorry Oli i know how intensive pikmen are to manage/use for attacks and projectiles, but i just don't know enough about you to be presumptuous enough to write something about why you are worthy of #5 in technicality.
Mm, I'm pretty sure ZSS has the best punish game, still I liked what you said about Sheik

Last edited:

Z1GMA

Smash Hero
Ehhhhhhhhh........
That's not being technical, that's execution.
Hmmm, yr right.

As for most technical, It's kinda hard to answer imo.
Lots of ppl say Ryu, but I second main him and don't think he's that to do tech-stuff with.
Maybe because I've got Street Fighter in my spine.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Hmmm, yr right.

As for most technical, It's kinda hard to answer imo.
Lots of ppl say Ryu, but I second main him and don't think he's that to do tech-stuff with.
Maybe because I've got Street Fighter in my spine.
A character being technical I think has to tie in with options and the reason why I say this is because if you look at the rest of the competitive fighting games, you will find a common pattern with their respective technical characters.

• SF4 series- c viper: has ridiculous mix-ups, being called the "50/50" character. Has on-hit/block special cancels on her normal moves.
  • Melee- fox: known as the quintessential technical character. Wave shiningf, triple shining, along with the ridiculous game-based techs the game has to offer.
  • Mvc2- magneto: magneto is huge on ROMs, tri-dashing and his attacks from where he can hit his opponent (low front, front, high front, high back, back, low back and throw).
  • Brawl- ICs, diddy: ICs were huge on chain grabbing and desyncs. They had multiple ways to do it, on top of the desyncs employed to get that grab. Diddy had nana locks and dribbling, along with added defensive options with nana in hand. A character made for creative people
It's generally the characters with the most "free-form" style of play that gives them the description as "technical" since with so many options at your fingertips, doing very specific commands in a world of options (like in real life) requires very very specific coordinates.

Last edited:

TimeChain

Smash Apprentice
NNID
777brawlfan
3DS FC
4484-9816-4641
:4shulk:- IMO, the most technical character in the game. You have to understand all of his five Monado Arts and when to use them. He does have deadly combos, specifically when he's in his Speed, Jump, and Buster Arts, but they're very difficult to pull off consistently. He also has poor frame data so you have to watch your spacing. He does have a remedy to his high ending lag called the Monado Arts Landing Lag Cancel (MALLC), but it's very difficult to pull off.
Some other characters I find very technical are: :4robinm::4greninja::4megaman::4peach: :4zelda::4pacman::4duckhunt::4olimar::4ryu:

Treedot

Smash Journeyman
I think the obvious answer is Ryu, since he's got all of that Street Fighter nonsense built into his kit.

Other than that, Rosaluma, Duck Hunt, Pac-Man, aaaaaaaaand... I wanna say Peach? But she can be played like a normal fighter too really...

Poopysandwich

Smash Rookie
User was warned for this post
Peach because she isn't that great without all of the tec you have to learn for her to be amazing. as just moving around with her can be incredibly difficult. she may have one of the highest skill caps in the game if used correctly and correctly is the most exhausting part physically and mentally.

Ryu and pacman are quite difficult to along with rosa luma shulk and pikachu do pikachu's quick attack tech.

possibly sonic too depending on how your playstyle is with him

this doesn't sound right but he requires a lot of demand the way my brother plays the he does.

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom