• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most popular char played in Japan so far?

AttackstorM

Smash Lord
3DS FC
2122-8193-6919
I think based on youtube thus far ike is played the most. IKE IKE AND MORE IKE. the Japanese can't get enough ike. hmmm wonder who it will be the few days after the NA launch.

DraginHikari

Emerald Star Legacy
NNID
Draginhikari
3DS FC
4940-5455-2427
Switch FC
SW-7120-1891-0342
From what I understand, Fire Emblem has always been fairly popular in Japan.

S2

Smash Lord
Yeah, given FE's popularity its not surprising.

Also, Ike is a very popular amongst FE Lords (main characters) worldwide.

Given his popularity and the fact that he's slow but powerful (easy to pick up and play) isn't surprising. Roy got a lot of initial Smash play because he was easy to learn on. He wasn't a great tournament character, but unlike say Marth, it didn't take a lot of skill to make him immediately usable.

Revak

Smash Apprentice
In almost every video you will either see Ike or Pit. Seems to be the biggest trend right now.

sfox8

Smash Journeyman
Not the Ice climbers that's for sure. I can't find a single video with a human using them.
I know. That really sucks. But it's okay. It's fun to main the underdogs. And now that Kirby's back in business, I can main him again too (though I expect more people will pick him up now that he's been buffed).

But yeah, considering FE's popularity, Ike seems to be an accurate choice for most popular character in Japan.

It looks like Pokemon Trainer is the first runner up. Dedede also seems to be pretty popular.

Revak: Really? I haven't seen that much Pit actually. I've seen much more PT and Dedede than Pit.

Igneous42

Smash Ace
That's because Ike dominates with anyone mode. He has good range and can kill easy. So when it's a 4 player free for all based on how many kills you can get it makes him look great. He can KO a lot of people at 40-50%

Rick88

Smash Journeyman
FE is fairly popular in Japan, it's not that surprising to see Ike being used. Other than that, I've seen that Meta-Knight and King De De De are among the favorites.

S2

Smash Lord
Not the Ice climbers that's for sure. I can't find a single video with a human using them.
Lol, the IC is a duanting character if your new at Smash. They have a learning curve. Plus, they are retro and vets, so I can see why many aren't initially jumping on them.

Maybe I'm wrong here, but a lot of the good IC players were in America. Much like how I've heard Peach (while still very popular here) is more popular as a Melee pick in Japan.

WolfCypher

Smash Lord
NNID
WolfCypher
Switch FC
4999 6039 1484
Every video I've seen always have Ike, Dedede, & Ness and/or Lucas.

The StarFox characters, Pikachu, and Link are the second most reoccuring.

I hardly see Luigi, Captain Falcon, Ice Climbers, and Bowser, now that I think about it.

Srules

Smash Apprentice
Ive seen some matches with more than 1 IC.... Not sure why.

I have watched a lot of matches and Ike does seem to be a popular character, also a ton of the veterans.

Most surprising is the lack of sonic users. This could be because of the learning curve of the character.

Bottom line... Every character has been used, everyone has their preference, no sense in getting caught up on character popularity.

Machineking1313

Smash Cadet
Not to mention in a poll, Ike was voted as to having the flashiest Final smash in the game! Ike is awesome!

Top Bottom