• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most hated match up?

great_navi

Smash Rookie
When playing for glory or computers, which character(s) do you hate playing most and why?

(Extra) Who do you main and how do you beat this hated match up.

For me I main toon link mostly and if I had to name 3 match ups that are no fun for me it'd be

Luigi- down throw combos are OP and I don't think he takes much skill to be good with (no offense Luigi mains) which frustrates me when losing to him

Link- i feel that 90% of link players do NOT play link as he was intended or to his full potential and just end up camping and spamming projectiles. Which is boring.

Robin- thunder thunder thunder arch thunder, forward smash

Rinku リンク

Hero of "Likes"
NNID
JinnyK
As a Link main:

:4fox::4falco:- Now that F-smash with a bomb in hand is gone it's a bit more difficult to get around the reflector. Fighting up close in general isn't exactly what you want to do against these two either. I usually resort to mind games and using my projectiles sparingly to win.

:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:- Up tilt up tilt up tilt did I mention up tilt? Let me throw in some up airs as well. Most FG players just spam tilts and smashes in your general direction and tend to get away with it. I usually have to space carefully in order to win.

:4wario:- I feel like I may be the only one but his Bike just has way too much priority. He's very annoying to fight against in general as most players will be in the air majority of the time. Being patient is what wins me this match up.

Last edited:

Frizz

Will Thwack You At 0%
I main Robin, and I really don't like Robin dittos. It's pretty much playing against myself, so I just go all out. Tip the scales, y'know? Show the imposter who the better Robin is.
I also hate Sheiks, but there's nothing I despise more than Robin dittos. I typically tend to avoid them at all costs.

Kenobi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ben016
I main about 12 different characters. I have lots of favorable and unfavorable match-ups, but my absolute least favorite characters to fight are Little Mac and Sonic.

Nargacuga

Smash Rookie
NNID
WiseHorror
3DS FC
4811-7984-6827
I main about 12 different characters. I have lots of favorable and unfavorable match-ups, but my absolute least favorite characters to fight are Little Mac and Sonic.
I main Zelda, but I second this. Little Mac and Sonic are insanely annoying to me.

Nah

Smash Champion
I have a strong dislike of fighting :4ness::4tlink::4link::4yoshi:.

I don't care how punishable people think PK Fire is or how gimpable people think Ness's recovery is, I ****ing play :4robinf:, I'm too slow to punish/gimp your ****. And online there's nowhere for me to escape because no platforms (the smarter ones will not keep running at you immediately after PK Fire connects once you start rolling backwards or jumping up to get out of it).

With Link and Toon Link I just find it frustrating that I can't navigate the ****storm of bombs and boomerangs (and arrows) they fling at you, and then when you get close it's just Hookshot/Clawshot and Usmash city and I can't land because, again, no platforms and Robin has zero landing mixups.

Yoshi is just more I don't understand why the damn thing's such a pain in the ass to fight.

Oh, and then there's :4pikachu:, but it's really only cuz there's always the chance it's gonna be one of those Pikas that spams Thunderjolt like it's his job. It's not even that they're spamming T-jolt (it's easy enough to powershield and it's not gonna get them very far), it's just hearing "PIKA-CHU, PIKA-CHU" over and over and over again that is so obnoxious....

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
:4zss:: Her moves are so predictable yet still so hard for me to punish. No matter which character I choose, I always have trouble fighting her.
:4link:: I hate fighting spammy 's, especially while playing as :4luigi: while under lag. His low friction makes it tough to get close to Link's projectiles.
:4ness:: PK-fire -> F-airs for days. Whenever I get got in pk-fire as :4ganondorf:, I'll almost always die due to Dorf being a giant punching bag.
:4littlemac: and :4sonic:: Both characters are insanely quick and hard to punish (aside from Mac in the air). They also have the most obnoxious taunts which doesn't help matters.
:4olimar:: Most Olimars I fight just run away and throw Pikmin.

Kenobi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ben016
:4zss:: Her moves are so predictable yet still so hard for me to punish. No matter which character I choose, I always have trouble fighting her.
:4link:: I hate fighting spammy 's, especially while playing as :4luigi: while under lag. His low friction makes it tough to get close to Link's projectiles.
:4ness:: PK-fire -> F-airs for days. Whenever I get got in pk-fire as :4ganondorf:, I'll almost always die due to Dorf being a giant punching bag.
:4littlemac: and :4sonic:: Both characters are insanely quick and hard to punish (aside from Mac in the air). They also have the most obnoxious taunts which doesn't help matters.
:4olimar:: Most Olimars I fight just run away and throw Pikmin.
How do you do those heads? Id like to use them. Im new here.

Sari

Editing Staff
Writing Team
NNID
Villager49
Switch FC
SW-2215-0173-2152
How do you do those heads? Id like to use them. Im new here.
When making a post, click the little smiley face icon above where you're typing, then choose which ever icon you want.

SherrdreamZ

Jubilant Adept Princess
NNID
SherrdreamZ
As a :4lucina:/:4zelda: Main... :4zss: Is one of the worst because many players are so highly predictable, however ZSS's highly superior Frame Data makes it very hard to Punish as often as their Spam eventually connects. Zero Skill Spamus for a reason. She can whiff more often than most and still just try again unless you get a decent read to counter the Spam. Thankfully most of the players i find using her have a one track mind which makes punishing possible, or else it's rather hopeless against a good player.

:4sonic: is probably the most annoying to fight as he dictates the pace of the match, and is harder to read. His speed lets him mix up between Grabs, Baits, and what else? "Running Away" Proper Spacing is less valuable against Sonic as you need to be prepared from all sides and guess where he will be after a spin-dash to capitalize on his whiffs. This one is harder when Im playing with :4zelda:/:4robinf: as you literally are outmatched in speed x3 and are forced to play an extremely defensive game to have a chance.

:4sheik:Many of the same reasons as ZSS, however even harder to punish then Sonic/ZSS against a competent player.. What she lacks in the extra punch she more than makes up with with F-Air F-Air- F-Air Bouncing Fish and Dashing through your attacks to grab you and set up for the 50% KO opportunity. Thankfully ive seen only a handful of Shiek players that make her that unbeatable. But her Skill Ceiling potential is Superior, and Frame Data is Far Superior to anyone but ZSS.

No other matchups are particularly annoying to me, i find everyone else in the cast relatively Enjoyable. :)

Last edited:

ArcanaXIII

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ArcanaXIII
I pretty much hate fighting :4sheik:, :rosalina:, :4mario:, :4luigi:, :4littlemac:, :4zss:, :4sonic:, :4ness:, :4lucas:, :4villager:, :4pikachu:, :4duckhunt:, and :4yoshi: in general, no matter the matchup. Don't really mind anybody else.

Tino

Smash Hero
NNID
FaustinoRojo10
3DS FC
5284-1678-8857
Switch FC
SW-6232-2426-8037
No matter who I play as, I hate fighting against :4dk:, :4luigi:, :4mario:, :4pikachu:, :4sonic:, :4yoshi:, :4zss:, :4jigglypuff: and, worst of all, :4falcon:. The rest are nothing to me.

D

Deleted member

As a :4dedede: main, :4ness: and :4lucas:are the banes of my existence. I also cannot stand fighting :4mario:, :4fox:, :4pikachu:, :4falco:, :4samus: or :4feroy:.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
On a more serious post, my most hated match ups are :4luigi:, :4lucario:, :4marth::4lucina:, :4feroy:, :4sonic: and :4littlemac::4ganondorf::4bowser:

:4luigi:'s moveset is ****ing obnoxious. I love the character, but fighting against him usually makes me so salty.

:4lucario:'s aura is just... sigh.

:4marth::4lucina:... It is so frustrating to be outranged by their swords :(

:4feroy: He hits really hard and the fact I don't have the character doesn't help.

:4sonic: Who doesn't hate fighting Sonic?

:4littlemac: :4ganondorf::4bowser: I struggle a lot with characters that rely heavily on punishing mistakes. I want to cry when I take one of them to their 50% only to have them take me to my 70% with three moves >_>

great_navi

Smash Rookie
As a Link main:

:4fox::4falco:- Now that F-smash with a bomb in hand is gone it's a bit more difficult to get around the reflector. Fighting up close in general isn't exactly what you want to do against these two either. I usually resort to mind games and using my projectiles sparingly to win.

:4mario::4luigi::4drmario:- Up tilt up tilt up tilt did I mention up tilt? Let me throw in some up airs as well. Most FG players just spam tilts and smashes in your general direction and tend to get away with it. I usually have to space carefully in order to win.

:4wario:- I feel like I may be the only one but his Bike just has way too much priority. He's very annoying to fight against in general as most players will be in the air majority of the time. Being patient is what wins me this match up.
Hahaha yes. So much yes.

great_navi

Smash Rookie
On a more serious post, my most hated match ups are :4luigi:, :4lucario:, :4marth::4lucina:, :4feroy:, :4sonic: and :4littlemac::4ganondorf::4bowser:

:4luigi:'s moveset is ****ing obnoxious. I love the character, but fighting against him usually makes me so salty.

:4lucario:'s aura is just... sigh.

:4marth::4lucina:... It is so frustrating to be outranged by their swords :(

:4feroy: He hits really hard and the fact I don't have the character doesn't help.

:4sonic: Who doesn't hate fighting Sonic?

:4littlemac: :4ganondorf::4bowser: I struggle a lot with characters that rely heavily on punishing mistakes. I want to cry when I take one of them to their 50% only to have them take me to my 70% with three moves >_>
I too struggle with Luigi and little mac. Ganon and bowser on the other hand I tend to enjoy because of their big hit box.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
(Insert character here) vs. Sheik.
(Insert character) vs. Sonic.
(Insert character here) vs. Yoshi.
It doesn't get any more cancerous than these three. After that it's Ness and Lucas. They're not fun to fight against, but I'd take them over the Unholy Trinity.

Last edited:

Reila

I too struggle with Luigi and little mac. Ganon and bowser on the other hand I tend to enjoy because of their big hit box.
Yeah, they are big and sort of easy targets. The issue is that I am too reckless, so I end up being punished by silly mistakes here and there.

D

Deleted member

Y'all underestimate Bowser. One that can space well with him is rather deadly and can take your stock in a short amount of time if not careful.

Underhill

Smash Ace
NNID
Chase47
:4sheik:: I hate fighting her as :4luigi:. The MU just frustrates me and makes me switch to :4mario:or:4pikachu:to body the s*** out of this stupid character.
:4littlemac:: I hate fighting him. Hard to punish and a pain of my d*** existence.

The rest, I don't have a problem with anybody else. Just Little Mac and Sheik.

Peff

Smash Cadet
:4duckhunt: is annoying as heck, all the time.
:4metaknight: can be impossible to fight if the player is good enough.

Oh, wait. I forgot about the Devil herself, :rosalina:

Last edited:

Mrdiscount

Smash Rookie
:4duckhunt: You almost never find a good duck hunt, like 99% of them just spam side b and neutral b.

Turrin

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Turrin
3DS FC
4425-1919-5126
It seems like any match up I hate isn't actually bad for Fox, I just don't do well against them personally.

Like :4link: for example. Fox has all the best tools for the matchup - he can get in hitting range in a split second and has a reflector, but I always end up getting caught by jabs and uptilts when I try to approach. (btw if someone wants to fight and teach me this M/U I'd be your best friend)

:4ganondorf: and :4dedede: are two characters I really have no excuse being bad against but I just am. It's like as soon as they set foot on the stage my brain goes out the window and I'm running straight into raw F-smashes for no reason.

:4robinm::4robinf:. I love Robin as a character and am honored to get beat by players that know what they're doing... But in FG, the majority of Robins I meet are worse than the average FG Link. Roll, jab, repeat - it's hell. I'm not bad against the character or anything, it's just super tedious and annoying to deal with.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
There's a hell of a lot of them for me, but if there's any character that ticks all the boxes for "I should hate this character.", it's :4zss:, which is a shame since I really don't hold any particular grudges against her. It's just that she's overused, usually wrongly used, and just generally dull and irritating to fight 90% of the time. I totally lose all effort to fight because I just seriously can't be bothered chasing her around - and you can bet if you're fighting her, the player will make you chase them. I would mind less if people were good as her, but a good portion of players choose her for her tier status and frankly spammy/simple style and powerful killing moves/set-ups.

Maybe in a later patch or meta we'll see ZSS drop in power or popularity but until then the countless games of "Catch the stun-spammer." are really starting to make me want to strangle myself for bothering with online.

It seems like any match up I hate isn't actually bad for Fox, I just don't do well against them personally.

Like :4link: for example. Fox has all the best tools for the matchup - he can get in hitting range in a split second and has a reflector, but I always end up getting caught by jabs and uptilts when I try to approach. (btw if someone wants to fight and teach me this M/U I'd be your best friend)

:4ganondorf: and :4dedede: are two characters I really have no excuse being bad against but I just am. It's like as soon as they set foot on the stage my brain goes out the window and I'm running straight into raw F-smashes for no reason.

:4robinm::4robinf:. I love Robin as a character and am honored to get beat by players that know what they're doing... But in FG, the majority of Robins I meet are worse than the average FG Link. Roll, jab, repeat - it's hell. I'm not bad against the character or anything, it's just super tedious and annoying to deal with.
C-can I hug this post? I feel ya. I have all the same problems, and I'm not even a Fox main. I don't even really play Fox. Yet I still have all the same problems. lol

Hell, I'm a Robin secondary, and even I'll agree that most Robin players online are tedious as balls and have no idea how to use them. It was "By book, blade, and crest of flame." for a reason, stop running away and spamming tomes, please. You have a sword for a reason.

Last edited:

Nah

Smash Champion
....I admittedly have problems vs Dedede too. I don't hate the MU or anything but it gives me more problems sometimes than I feel it should, especially when Dedede is everything Robin likes: fat and slow with mostly poor frame data.

There's a hell of a lot of them for me, but if there's any character that ticks all the boxes for "I should hate this character.", it's :4zss:, which is a shame since I really don't hold any particular grudges against her. It's just that she's overused, usually wrongly used, and just generally dull and irritating to fight 90% of the time. I totally lose all effort to fight because I just seriously can't be bothered chasing her around - and you can bet if you're fighting her, the player will make you chase them. I would mind less if people were good as her, but a good portion of players choose her for her tier status and frankly spammy/simple style and powerful killing moves/set-ups.

Maybe in a later patch or meta we'll see ZSS drop in power or popularity but until then the countless games of "Catch the stun-spammer." are really starting to make me want to strangle myself for bothering with online.
They really play the run-away game with you? Usually when I fight ZSSs online they're thirsty as **** for the dash grabs and paralyzer shots and tend to rush me.

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
They really play the run-away game with you? Usually when I fight ZSSs online they're thirsty as **** for the dash grabs and paralyzer shots and tend to rush me.
Well, most do the roll thing because they're totally thirst for those kinda rushing set-ups, but they usually overcompensate and carry on rushing even after a horrid whiff, it takes them forever to go back to the neutral game; AKA "Rolling away and neutral-B-ing like they're playing Link", but they do. lol

Kenobi

Smash Rookie
NNID
Ben016
Really any spammy characters are annoying. People use Link, DHD, Lucas/Ness, Falco, etc. and they just roll to one side, spam. Those are the matches I hate playing. If you've got skill, I don't mind losing. But losing cause I have 400% from ur lazers is just friggin stupid.

telex

Corrin and Robin <3
NNID
tellex1
:4robinf: main
I have quite a few lol

:4pikachu: is really just awful for me. I always feel helpless in this MU. My solution is to train :rosalina: so I can switch characters :ness:
:4ness: I really struggle with Ness. Offline and online, I feel like I always get bodied. But I do play against some good Ness players so maybe that's partially why.
:4dedede: Oh my god, I hate fighting Dedede with any character. No idea why. He's so huge and should be just be combo fodder, but I can't deal.
:4link::4sheik::4zss: are all hard too.

Ze Diglett

Smash Champion
Writing Team
NNID
ZeDiglett
Fighting:4dk:,:4bowser:,:4myfriends:,:4ganondorf:, and:4shulk:online is absolute hell since their normally punishable moves suddenly become super impossible to punish with even the slightest bit of input delay or frame drops. Roll-n-smash:4littlemac:and:4link:are super annoying as well since their smash attacks are so stupidly good.:4kirby:in general is annoying to fight due to his ridiculous frame data and combos, and that's not even accounting for the Stone-spammers...
Overall, I'd say the most cancerous matchup to play is definitely against:4mario:. I absolutely despise fighting him with every fiber of my being. He's so ridiculously good while also being the most braindead character in the game, so whenever I lose to somebody using him, I feel like I lost to the character rather than the player. Sucks that he's seemingly the most common character in the game. :ohwell:

Last edited:

Fluorescent

Smash Apprentice
NNID
NeoRashi
3DS FC
2122-7596-1415
This guy :4falcon: this guy :4littlemac: and this guy :4mario:

I main :4tlink: myself and in this game (or the way I play it); shielding and grabbing are essentially necessary mechanics and good options when playing this game.

The problem with these match ups against these guys with Tink are because 1) They have a far better ground game 2) Have a far better aerial game 3) Are just way too fast.

Tink can't do much if he can't get a read or a punish, the characters mentioned above ^ can punish you faster than you can before you can even react. Not to mention that Tink's grab is slow, can whiff, and is HIGHLY punishable once missed. While in good hands, you can essentially win any match up with any character against x character. The problem here is Tink can just get pressured to heck if he's not able to keep up with the tempo and momentum of the opponent and the game.

Annihilat®

Smash Journeyman
As a :4lucina:/:4zelda: Main... :4zss: Is one of the worst because many players are so highly predictable, however ZSS's highly superior Frame Data makes it very hard to Punish as often as their Spam eventually connects. Zero Skill Spamus for a reason. She can whiff more often than most and still just try again unless you get a decent read to counter the Spam. Thankfully most of the players i find using her have a one track mind which makes punishing possible, or else it's rather hopeless against a good player.

:4sonic: is probably the most annoying to fight as he dictates the pace of the match, and is harder to read. His speed lets him mix up between Grabs, Baits, and what else? "Running Away" Proper Spacing is less valuable against Sonic as you need to be prepared from all sides and guess where he will be after a spin-dash to capitalize on his whiffs. This one is harder when Im playing with :4zelda:/:4robinf: as you literally are outmatched in speed x3 and are forced to play an extremely defensive game to have a chance.

:4sheik:Many of the same reasons as ZSS, however even harder to punish then Sonic/ZSS against a competent player.. What she lacks in the extra punch she more than makes up with with F-Air F-Air- F-Air Bouncing Fish and Dashing through your attacks to grab you and set up for the 50% KO opportunity. Thankfully ive seen only a handful of Shiek players that make her that unbeatable. But her Skill Ceiling potential is Superior, and Frame Data is Far Superior to anyone but ZSS.

No other matchups are particularly annoying to me, i find everyone else in the cast relatively Enjoyable. :)
Lucina and Marth beat ZSS.

SM980

Smash Rookie
I hate fighting a good :4zss: because I honestly just feel like I got dunked on WAYY too hard. She's SO INCREDIBLY POWERFUL in the right hands that there was a time I literally only DI'd and dodged and just watched what kind of ridiculous combos this ZSS could pull on me. It was shocking.

:4rob: Is just... wow. Anyone who even remotely knows what they're doing can wreck me so hard. I can't pick up the gyro correctly with input delay, so if I wanted to I'd have to walk slowly to it and press A leaving me super open. Also his n-air to down tilts shove me all over the place, and if I spot-dodge he grabs, and if I shield, he grabs, and if I roll behind him then it's a terrifying up-smash punish, and he's already got my back to the ledge. There's just SO much going on with ROB.

:4luigi: who gets away by winning with ridiculousness. Having mained luigi for a while (before the nerfening) I PREETTY MUCH knew that dash-attacking without any plan was gonna get you whooped. I just... assume that no other luigi online would do that. It's just not smart. But I end up getting pummeled by it anyway because I just. can't. expect it.

:4sonic: and :4littlemac: kill me. They're both super fast and I just cannot punish them for whatever reason. Sonic dash attacks? well he went right through your shield and came out the other side and if you try to turn around and attack he's already rolled out of range. Sonic does like, literally any move? Well he's already flown long past you and good luck trying to chase sonic. Little mac? Same situation only like, if he haymakers then he ends up behind you (like sonics dash attack.) And the moment I try to leave shield after one of his tilts or smashes, he's already throwing out another one.
Also about :4littlemac:? Cannot stand the super armor during smashes. Roll behind and downsmash to victory.

Dokokashira

Smash Journeyman
I cannot express how much I UTTERLY DESPISE fighting heavyweights or characters that can get KOs effortlessly. Sealing the KO is a massive weakness of mine, so usually these battles end up with my opponents regularly living past 130% and me dying at 80% (or sometimes even earlier).

:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4myfriends::4mario::4yoshi::4falcon::4lucina::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4feroy::4marth::4fox: :4peach: are the characters that fit this criteria for me. (Yes, there's a lot)

ixos

Smash Apprentice
NNID
coolniceae27
3DS FC
2766-9576-6857
I absolutely hate playing against zoners. They annoy me so much because my mains basically cannot get to them at all, being either too slow, melee oriented, or not having a projectile of their own or a reflector. Tink is definitely my most hated matchup, because of how fast he is and his projectiles, followed by all the other zoners.

D

Deleted member

I cannot express how much I UTTERLY DESPISE fighting heavyweights or characters that can get KOs effortlessly. Sealing the KO is a massive weakness of mine, so usually these battles end up with my opponents regularly living past 130% and me dying at 80% (or sometimes even earlier).

:4bowser::4charizard::4dedede::4dk::4myfriends::4mario::4yoshi::4falcon::4lucina::4ganondorf::4littlemac::4feroy::4marth::4fox: :4peach: are the characters that fit this criteria for me. (Yes, there's a lot)
>tfw I'm a :4dedede:, :4bowser:, :4myfriends: and :4yoshi: player

i cri

Real talk though, I feel you. Playing as :4kirby: against somebody with disjointed hitboxes or somebody who outright outspeeds me is just... sigh.

Last edited by a moderator:

Reila

I absolutely hate playing against zoners. They annoy me so much because my mains basically cannot get to them at all, being either too slow, melee oriented, or not having a projectile of their own or a reflector. Tink is definitely my most hated matchup, because of how fast he is and his projectiles, followed by all the other zoners.
You just need to learn a way to get to them. It is not impossible. When you get close to a zoner, all they can do is cry in despair and I say this as someone who usually main zoners/keep away/etc in Smash games.

Top Bottom