• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Efficient way of unlocking all Characters and Stages ONLY. (updated) *SPOILER*

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
1.) We know how to unlock everything
2.) many unlockables have multiple means for doing such
3.) Many of us are looking to unlock all character/stages as quickly as possible

My proposition: Let's try to deduce the most efficient way to get all the characters and stages through a combination of SSE, Classic, Vs., and Event modes. After all, with multiple means for unlocking everyone, one has to be the easiest/quickest.

as a reference, here's some threads with all the unlockables:
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=141216
http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=136080

Now, I want to figure out the most efficient means to produce the full roster of characters(35) and stages(41), and that's it...everything else can be done at one's leisure as far as I'm concerned.

Update: first off, I want to mention some details that have come into question. Any clarification on the following would be great:
1.) Can J.Puff be unlocked in classic mode? Special qualifications, i.e. difficulty or character?

2.) Only 19 events are available at the start of the game, and R.O.B. is needed to unlock 20-28. Truth? Half-Truth?

3.) C.Falcon can be unlocked by completing classic on Normal difficulty. Is there a time constraint? Can this be done on the first run-through? and what keeps you from receiving a challenge from Marth first?

If you have first-hand knowledge of these unlock methods, please share what you can.

Now, now onto the gameplans (still a little messy in places, due to the above mentioned need for clarification /apology)

Here's what I'm thinking so far:

PLAN A: QUICKEST

[450 vs. Matches] - all hidden characters, Green Hill Zone2, Flat Zone2, Pirate Ship
- Stamina against CPU with a 1HP handicap w/ Flowers on
- 10 on melee stages (Jungle Japes)
- 10 on Poke Stadium 2 (Poke Stadium 1)
- 20 with Kirby (Green Greens)
- 10 with DK (75m---classic DK stage)
- 3 with Luigi (Luigi's Mansion)
- 10 with C.Falcon (Big Blue)

[3 Event Matches]
- Event 19 {Mario Bros.}
- Event 25 {Mt. Dengan Spear Pillar}
- Event 28 {Electroplankton}

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN B: SSB:SSE ALL THE WAY (almost)

[Subspace Emissary]
- 1 run through - all hidden characters except ToonLink, J.Puff, Wolf?
- after clearing SSE return to these stages
- Iseki いせき (Wolf) iseki = ruins
- Shicchi しっち (J.Puff) is this supposed to be shichi しち?? that would mean "seven"
- Mori もり (Toon Link) mori = woods or grove

[3 Event Matches]
- (see above)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN C: COMBINATION -----UNDER CONSTRUCTION

[1 Classic run]
- under 20 min. on Normal {C.Falcon}

[35 vs. matches] {Ness, Marth, Luigi}
- 15 on Moses Island {Snake}
- 10 on melee stages {Jungle Japes}
- 10 on Poke Stadium 2 {Poke Stadium 1}
- 20 with Kirby {Green Greens}
- 10 with DK {75m}
- 10 with C.Falcon {Big Blue}
- 3 with Luigi {Luigi's Mansion}

[2 Classic runs]
- 1 as Link or Zelda on Hard (Ganon)
- 1 as Link or Ganon (Toon Link and Pirate Ship) disputable

[event and multi-man]
- Event 19 {Mario Bros.}
- Event 25 {Mt. Dengan Spear Pillar} character specifications to open these two events?
- 100-man melee or 15 more Vs. matches {Falco}

[SSE] {Lucario, G&W, Flat Zone 2, ROB}
- Beat Lucario with Meta Knight
- Play until ROB joins (about 50%) edit: I just watched a playthrough of the SSE, and it looked like this takes about 4 hours. Clarification on this would be great.)

[1 classic run]
- Complete Classic as ROB {Sonic and Green Hill Zone}

[SSE} {Wolf}
- Finish SSE, find Wolf in Iseki Ruins, take 2nd door while being lowered into pit (have to complete SSE, and go back to this level)

now the only reason I put the SSE at the end of this list, is because I don't know in what possible order characters can be unlocked through it. The placement of the needed Event matches could probably go anywhere, too.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PLAN D: COMBO W/O SSE ------ALSO UNDER CONSTRUCTION

[1 Classic run]
- under 20 min. on Normal (not with Ike) {C.Falcon}

[35 vs. matches] {Ness, Marth, Luigi}
- 10 on melee stages {Jungle Japes}
- 10 on Poke Stadium 2 {Poke Stadium 1}
- 10 with DK {75m}
- 3 with Luigi {Luigi's Mansion}

[9 Classic runs]
- 1 as any character any difficulty {J.Puff}
- 1 as Link or Zelda on Very Hard(Ganon and all 5 Target tests)
- 1 as Link or Ganon (Toon Link and Pirate Ship)
- 6 more as anyone else (Sonic and Green Hill Zone)

[Target Tests]
- lv.1 Target test with 30 characters (G&W, FlatZone2)
- all 5 difficulties with one character, Snake is preferred (Lucario)

[10 vs. matches]
- 10 on melee stages OR poke stadium 2 {Jungle Japes or Poke Stadium 1}
- 3 with Luigi {Luigi’s Mansion}

[event and multi-man]
- Event 19 {Mario Bros.}
- Event 25 {Mt. Dengan Spear Pillar}
- 100-man melee or 15 more Vs. matches {Falco}

[110 VS. matches]
- to total 160vs. matches (ROB)

[290 VS. matches]
- to total 450vs. matches (Wolf)

thoughts? Feedback? Come up with your own Road to Success with 35 Characters and 41 Stages. Also, anyone who is able to offer up more insight as to how quickly or easy characters are unlocked through SSE would be very helpful.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
bump aswell.
also want to see where this leads.

such a good post there. love the guide

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I cleaned it up a bit, as well as add some discrepancies I've been finding. Clarification on
how many Moses Island matches to unlock snake, and which event unlocks J.Puff
would be very helpful.

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
15 on Moses. I also need that event clarification - heard 8 & 20, did both on all three difficulties, and nada. Also, is the method of beating classic with Link confirmed for TL? Because I did so, and nothing. Specific difficulty, or no continues, maybe?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
BTW, for Sonic clearing classic 10 times (different characters) on easy is quicker than playing SSE to ROB, and then going through with him; SSE drags on.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
thanks for the snake clarification. I really wish this could get more attention from people who can help clarify some of these unlock methods.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
BTW, for Sonic clearing classic 10 times (different characters) on easy is quicker than playing SSE to ROB, and then going through with him; SSE drags on.
awesome so that rumour is true.
can i do all 10 chars on easy mode?
does it matter what difficulty?

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
btw; are there other ways to get G+W and ROB aside from SSE?
since if it does, then character (not using 450vs matches)
is unlocking without SSE

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
yeah, but I figured you'll have to play that far to get ROB and G&W anyways... and this leads to only 4 total classic runs instead of 10. That was my thought behind that.

@Mosk
I've seen 160 vs. for ROB and 250 for G&W. I think SSE is the way to go for that.

also...do I even need the spoiler tags as a courtesy? There is an entire forum for spoiler-free content, so I feel like the tags are just redundant and annoying.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
ok thank you.
so everything won't take very long.
considering easy mode on classic is quite quick.
(hopefully it hasn't changed since meelee, killing everythjing fast without continues, and feeling pro lol)

, keep the spoiler tags, since they make this thread look secreative. :)

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Difficulty doesn't matter. I did Zelda first on very hard to unlock Ganon and the target tests, then 9 others on easy. Capped it off with Mario for a nice, dramatic fight.

By the way, if you do ten runs on easy and do the first target test every time, you're also a third of the way to unlocking G&W. Complete the 1st target test with 30 characters - once again, I thought easier than SSE.

And yeah, all 5 target tests are a breeze with Snake's Nikita missiles.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
awesome thank you.
so i can unlock G&W by doing target test with everychar? or playing classic mode with every char?

so 5 target test with any character, the easy target test , i can get lucario?

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
The SSE may drag, but it seems the easiest way to unlocking ROB. I figure going through more classic runs, plus target-tests, plus SSE anyways for ROB...would take longer than just trudging through the SSE to that point. Why not just do everyone that way? Because some characters have very easy vs. mode unlocks, and you have to do that to get stages anyways, so why not pull double duty.

I wonder if I'm being too ambitious in thinking this could be done, possibly, in under 12 hours? Doing things like Classic on Easy when applicable, and one minute vs. matches (or even 1-stock race for the suicide vs. matches) could really cut away at the time. Not sure how long events would take, and obviously the most time is going to be spent on the SSE. Someone estimated about 4-6 hours to acheive the 50% mark, so I'm guessing 8-12 hours total on the SSE?

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
awesome thanks.
i'll do like 10 classic mode on easy (with a v.hard), and then complete 50% of SSE :D
that will take alll day yerr?
haha

btw answers to this question i asked
so i can unlock G&W by doing target test with everychar? or playing classic mode with every char?

so 5 target test with any character, the easy target test , i can get lucario?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
No - do the easy target test with 30 different characters to get G&W. Lucario is each difficulty of the target test, once. I recommend Snake for that. Takes about 5 minutes.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
No - do the easy target test with 30 different characters to get G&W. Lucario is each difficulty of the target test, once. I recommend Snake for that. Takes about 5 minutes.
ohh
wow 30 different char on easy target, that wudn't take too long =]

awesome snake doing target 1-5?
how do i get the target levels?
and where in the JP menu is target?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
One very hard clear on classic unlocks all 5 target tests. I recommend doing so with Zelda as it unlocks Ganon, but your choice. In the menus choose one-player modes, then it's the middle option next to the little weights... I think. Can't check right now, I'm doing my run on SSE.

SGX

Smash Journeyman
Since I currently only have the japanese rip, this is what I'm doing.

Stamina Brawl. set CPU's handicap to 1HP.

Knee to the face.
Game set

Repeat.

I've already got Sonic and G&W.

J18

Smash Journeyman
so to get sonic you do classic with ten different characters (difficulty?), or play a bunch of versus matches(number anyone?)

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
One very hard clear on classic unlocks all 5 target tests. I recommend doing so with Zelda as it unlocks Ganon, but your choice. In the menus choose one-player modes, then it's the middle option next to the little weights... I think. Can't check right now, I'm doing my run on SSE.
awesome thnaks.
so very hard wtih zelda and then five target test and i shud get lucario and ganon ^^

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
so to get sonic you do classic with ten different characters (difficulty?), or play a bunch of versus matches(number anyone?)
it doesnt matter diffuculty with sonic on classic.
i think its 300 v s matches for sonic

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman

Knee to the face.
Game set

Repeat.

with this method, how long could we estimate doing 450 vs. matches this way? That would unlock every character?

5 Ness
10 Marth, or classic with Ike
22 Luigi, or classic on Easy
50 Falco, or 100-man melee
70 C.Falcon, classic under 20 min
100 Lucario, 5 target tests with one character
130 Snake, or 15 vs. on Shadow Moses
160 ROB
200 Ganon, classic with Link/Zelda on Hard/Very Hard
250 G&W
300 Sonic, classic with 10 Characters, classic with ROB
350 J.Puff, classic with any
400 Toon Link, classic with Link
450 Wolf

also, what would be quicker for unlocking ROB? SSE until about 50%, or 160 vs. matches?

montyalbo

Smash Apprentice
for completing classic mode
are you allowed to use continues after you lose all your lifes?

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I'd like to include music and ATs... I might get around to that. I just figured characters and stages are of the utmost priority...and I'd like to get more feedback and clarification from people that have used these unlock methods before I think about going further with this idea.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
bump. because I believe it's worth it to discuss actual Brawl content rather than continuing to speculate and complain and be redundant

SD3

Smash Rookie

Knee to the face.
Game set

Repeat.

My brother and his friends, who have access to the Japanese game, did this with a slight twist: stamina brawls with the addition of flowers in special brawl mode. Because the flower does damage, the CPU player died instantly. Using this method they unlocked all of the characters within two days of getting the game, without playing it nonstop.

PS: According to gamefaqs, to unlock stage builder parts, you must: Play 10 matches on created stages (Parts set A), Create 5 stages (Parts set B) and create 15 stages (Parts set C). Their cheats & secrets section also lists a ton of unlockable music.

RedMage8BT

Smash Lord
I didn't read the OP post carefully, is this just for characters or is this actually EVERYTHING? Like music, trophies, stages, stage builder parts, and event matches.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I'm trying to get the most efficient and quickest means for unlocking all the characters and stages only. I want to to get into VS. matches at their full potential as soon as possible. If I expand on this list (which I don't want to do until this first one is done), I will want to include some more of those unlockables. Also, I'm going to get rid of the spoiler tags, as I'm sure it just redundant and moot at this point.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
such a good thread.

question: with 'vs mode' and unlocking all charactrers, does special brawl with 1HP enemys count?

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
btw; got some info

1. jigglypuff is event#20
2. ganon is unlocked with either link or zelda on HARD (continues allowed)
3. toonlink is unlocked by classic mode with link or ganon

hope this helps

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Unlocked 'em through SSE earlier today, but thanks. Also, SSE unlocked a ton of music, which is a plus for me, dunno about you guys.

Goldkirby

Smash Ace
Just wondering, say you have a bunch of friends, can you just do a bunch of 1 stock matches and have everyone suicide to end the round quickly to unlock characters?

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
that method would work. People have even suggested stamina matches with a CPU. Set the CPU with a handicap of 1hp, and then turn on the flower in special brawl. The CPU dies immediately. This could probably be done 450 times in the matter of a few hours.

Looking at this, I'm a little conflicted between how fast I want to get this done, and how much I want to enjoy doing it. Doing hundreds of VS. matches like that doesn't seem very fun to me.

@mosk
thanks for the info, updated

Losnar

Smash Journeyman
^^^
Using the above technique..

At 2.5 rounds per minute you could get done in 3 hours.

pika-power

Smash Apprentice
Sorry, but may I ask what is wrong with running through the SSE? You can get stickers, trophies, music and characters. VS mode will soon come after that. I am sure you will be playing enough as it is, no need to suck fun out by doing stamina 1 hp, flower. Also, before someone yells at me "But that IS fun!" I highly doubt that doing this would be high class entertainment.

Jinx

Smash Journeyman
I dunno about most efficient way, but running through 450 vs matches with friends (the matches rack up) & then running through Event Mode was pretty easy/enjoyable/somewhat quick for me (few days & no classic mode/SSE required)...

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
that's why I like my first method (original post). A combination of Vs., Event, and Classic to unlock a bunch of characters and stages, and then do some SSE for the characters with longer Vs. unlocks.

I'm a little torn, though. I want the characters and stages quickly, yet I don't necessarily want to rush myself through the SSE.

Moldy Clay

Smash Journeyman
NNID
frothyjazz54
3DS FC
3050-8737-8491
I was wondering...

If you tried to unlock Captain Falcon first (in SSB64 one time when my data got erased, I unlocked him BEFORE Jigglypuff, so I'd assume you could unlock him before Luigi or Marth probably?) would you not be able to throw Big Blue and Luigi's Mansion (since Luigi would be unlocked near the end of the 25 match cycle) into the first set of things you can do?

Um... meaning:

[1 Classic run]
- 1 under 20minutes {Captain Falcon}

[25 vs. matches] {Ness, Marth, Luigi}
- 10 on melee stages OR poke stadium 2 {Jungle Japes or Poke Stadium 1}
- 10 with DK {75m}
- 3 with Luigi {Luigi’s Mansion}

And would that be more efficient?

Top Bottom