• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Most Efficient way of unlocking all Characters and Stages ONLY. (updated) *SPOILER*

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
awesome thanks.
all is goood
i'll use ur guide, to make it fun.

i wont be doing this striaght away but just when i want to unlock chars

classicc mode and SSE seems so awesome

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
oh btw;
you can also unlock C.Falcon, by beating Classic mode on just normal.

:)

pirkid

Smash Lord
Subscribed. This is excellent.

You've just planned my Spring Break, good sire.

EDIT: Does an online Friend match OR an online With Anyone match count as a Vs. match for unlocking?

Kruton

Smash Ace
Okay, this needs to be pointed out that to unlock Jigglypuff, you don't clear event mode number 20, you have to clear 20 event mode matches...

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
oh, 20 events, eh? that's way different. I guess the Jiggly unlock would be way easier if you did the classic run for him.

@moldy clay,
that's a great idea. I'll update

gastro54

Smash Rookie
This is the best way: I tried it and got all characters unlocked while watching some TV, all you have to do is spam the start button.... ALL characters can be unlocked just playing in vs mode. Wolf is the final unlock at 450 matches.

"Fastest Way To Unlock All Characters: SSBB

Snake.Link.Smash.jpg
We've had a Japanese copy of the new Smash Bros. Brawl game for less than 24 hours, but we've already unlocked all the hidden characters. Toon Link, Snake, Sonic and R.O.B. are now our marionettes fighting at our fancy.

So how did we do it? It didn't involve the Subspace Emissary or any of the Challenges. And we certainly did not unlock Snake by playing on Shadow Moses Island ten times, like some gaming sites are reporting.

Continue reading to find out how to unlock all the hidden characters.

The following method might not be the most glamorous...okay, it's down right boring...but it works. And with just a couple hours of dedication and patience, you'll be playing with Star Wolf (the final unlockable character) in no time.

1. Start by changing to Stage Select rule. You'll want the fourth option, "Junguri."

2. Now return to the Brawl menu and select Special Brawl. It's the one that shows an image of a Mario hat with bunny ears.

3. Next change the first category (the one with the % symbol) to Tairyokusei and and the third category (the one showing the bunny ears) to Hana (it's the first option). Hit "okay" at the bottom of the screen. The game should take you immediately to the character select screen.

4. Now select your character and a character for the computer. When you select the computer's character, you'll notice the number 150 appear next to the image at the bottom. Move the pointer over the 150 and hit "A." Now push up on the control stick to reduce the computer's HP to just 1.

5. Start the match. The battle should last all of one second.

6. Repeat step 5 until a new challenger appears. Defeat the new challenger (Luigi, Sonic, etc.) to unlock him. After about two or three hours of this, you'll have all the characters unlocked including the final hidden character Star Wolf and his obscure sidekick Star Bear.

Granted, watching paint dry is more exciting but this method is a hell of a lot faster than playing through Subspace Emissary.

Bonus Material:

What?!?!?! You call yourself a Nintendo fanboy, but you've never heard of Star Bear. Be sure to check out the upcoming Pink Godzilla podcast in which we cover all things Star Bear! Prepare to be enlightened."
http://www.pinkgodzillagames.com/pink_godzilla_news/fastest_way_to_unlock_all_char.php

EDIT: The part above concerning Star Bear is BS - ignore it.

Crackerz

Smash Rookie
im not bothered about getting all the caracters quik, but im definitly getting sonic before i even play vs. so wats faster, doing 10 classics, or playing sse and then doing 1 classic when im about half way? or should i just do the boring way and sit for 2 and a half hours pressing a randomly and doing abou 15 actual fites in that time?

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
OP, i don't think it has to be under 20 minutes if you play it on normal.
But someone can maybe clarify this.

Doing 10 Classics on Easy would be quicker than finish SSE for sonic.

pyrotek7x7

Smash Ace
Does one stock super sudden death Vs. Matches count as one vs. match?

Because that's what I did for Melee, and it worked great.

ruel

Smash Cadet
There are a few mistakes...

ALL characters can be unlocke through SSE.

and Marth is NOT unlocked by playign through classic with Ike... he is unlocked by playing classic on any difficulty (it says so on the dojo).

MajinNecro69

Smash Ace
Um...the quickest way to do all that is just to play Vs. Matches until you puke :D Then just do events for Spear Pillar and Electroplankton...

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
I'm not sure about the "with anyone" counting as VS. matches. That would be a great answer to find.

@Ruel
I have not read or seen of anyone unlocking ToonLink through the SSE. As far as I've learned from posts and vids, he is the only character that isn't unlocked through SSE. Wait...I haven't seen a SSE unlock for J.Puff either.

I also just spent a while watching a playthrough of the SSE...I just watched Lv.31, and at the end of the video, the save was at 64% and 4 hours 23 minutes (gametime), and all characters except J.Puff, ToonLink, Sonic, and Wolf. I can't find any video of a lv.32 (is it just the final boss fight after that?)

Dustero

Smash Journeyman
I"m probably going to unlock most of the characters in SSE, but I will defianely unlock Falco threw 100 man melee becuase it will be quicker. I might unlock Sonic on Classic Mode.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
Just Download a Game Save with everything unlocked if you are in such a rush... if not just play the game and enjoy it the rewards will come later...
to that extent, I don't really care about speed. I just thought it was a fun idea to take all the various unlock methods, and try to map a quick route with the availability we have naturally in the game. It's more about calculating and comparing one means for unlocking X character against the other means.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
i'm going to do a few vs matches first (learn out to play), then a few classic mode, few more vs matches. target tests :D
unlock 11 chars this way (not getting ROB, wolf or G+W)

and then finish SSE when im good, so i don't struggle to much to get G+W, ROB and Wolf

:D
going to be so fun

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I just noticed a few things on that list, having just done all that myself.

You don't get Jigglypuff through classic, or at least it requires a specific character.

There's been 3 ways revealed by sakurai to unlock characters, yes?

1) SSE
2) Vs Matches
3) Variable.

You get Jiggly from Finishing Event Match 20 on any difficulty after finishing SSE once.

Also, you get Marth just from finishing Classic once, you don't need to use Ike (I used Dedede after all).

Thirdly, you need to unlock each individual level of target test over 1. TT2 = Classic (Normal or Easy2x)
TT3 = Classic (Hard or Normal2x)
TT4 = Classic (Very Hard or Hard2x)
TT5 = Classic (Intense or Very Hard2x)

Just something to keep in mind for speed's sake.

Fourthly, to get Event 20+ you need to unlock ROB.

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
Hmm, I just noticed a few things on that list, having just done all that myself.

You don't get Jigglypuff through classic, or at least it requires a specific character.

There's been 3 ways revealed by sakurai to unlock characters, yes?

1) SSE
2) Vs Matches
3) Variable.

You get Jiggly from Finishing Event Match 20 on any difficulty after finishing SSE once.

Also, you get Marth just from finishing Classic once, you don't need to use Ike (I used Dedede after all).

Thirdly, you need to unlock each individual level of target test over 1. TT2 = Classic (Normal or Easy2x)
TT3 = Classic (Hard or Normal2x)
TT4 = Classic (Very Hard or Hard2x)
TT5 = Classic (Intense or Very Hard2x)

Just something to keep in mind for speed's sake.

Fourthly, to get Event 20+ you need to unlock ROB.

Oh wow, you know alot
So to get Lucario for example, i need to complete Intense (or vhard x2) Classic any character (continues allowed)? And then i get the 5 Target Tests, in which to beat for Lucario?

A New Challenger

Smash Apprentice
Uhm , that's not correct about the target test. I beat Very Hard once with Zelda and it unlocked all 5. So... no.

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
so, no Classic Jiggly unlock that we know of yet?

I've also heard the event unlock for her is to complete 20 event matches (rather than event match #20). That's good to know that you need ROB to get event 20. I'll have to re-work some things. I'll update later today. thanks for all the input everyone.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Uhm , that's not correct about the target test. I beat Very Hard once with Zelda and it unlocked all 5. So... no.
Ah, I did them in sequential difficulty. It would make sense that doing it on Intense would give you them all. :p

mezbomber

Smash Journeyman
updated. I've tailored a few different options from what people are saying in here. I've also placed some of our discrepancies at the top...I probably missed some, but these were some of the most frequently mentioned. That first page may look a little messy until more of these things get cleared up.

Xenesis

Smash Journeyman
Events 29-40: You need to have all characters
Sonic: You get him at the very last part of SSE, by which I mean before the final boss

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
you don't get toon link if you do classic mode with link btw
i just tried.
and im unsure about ganon. but i think you can get toonlink if you finish SSE and do the hidden stage or completing SSE and doing a run of classic.

someone comfirm this?

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
Ok
do special brawl with flower and curry.
that way as soon as you start you die.
and just keep pushing start.
and you'll do 450 in no time

mosk123

Smash Journeyman
Ah ok.
thats how you do it speedy