More Than That River City Ransom / Super Dodge Ball Guy: Kunio-kun for Smash Support Thread!

Oddball

Smash Journeyman
He could be a fun character, but I'd much rather him keep the shirt closed. it's his more well known look.

This is Kunio-kun much more than

than this is.

Although to be perfectly honest, I'd still end up using this far more

But as long as his moves involving hitting people with nondescript sticks, trashcans, and tires, I'm cool.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Realistically, I have to agree with Oddball even if I like the added personality of Kunio's new look. If Kunio gets in I think the most likely palette choices would be something like several different colors for the closed shirt uniform and several different colors for Alex's clothes, maybe alongside an extra bit for the open shirt (since it seems to be the design they stick with in-game nowadays, but oddly enough not in any promotional art, likely to say "HEY GUYS REMEMBER KUNIO?!") and his sports uniform from Super Dodge Ball. To generate more excitement, I don't think it'd be too shocking to see Alex's clothes used in a special trailer for the west but hopefully still call him Kunio.
If anything though, even if Kunio had the open shirt as his main look first, it kinda makes him look too much like Kiryu Kazuma. I like this clothing design the best, personally.

I think if Kunio gets in, there's a chance we'd also get Riki as an echo or alt costume.

And since Riki also wears his shirt open, having Kunio do the same means they don't have to do as much alteration to the model to do both of them.

To generate more excitement, I don't think it'd be too shocking to see Alex's clothes used in a special trailer for the west but hopefully still call him Kunio.
I don't think they'll even reference Alex, as even in NA they don't call him that anymore or use that appearance.

ArcSys seems to want to forget about it, and since Kunio is the Japanese original, I can't imagine much push from Nintendo's end to use it.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Apparantly Double Dragon's confirmed to be on Kunio-kun: The World Classics Collection, alongside the release itself being multi-language. That's pretty damn swell if it's true, especially if it comes with translated ROMs.

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
I hope this is still a thing. I'll be keeping an eye on it! :)
Gonna be a thing for as long as we're all around, the train don't stop won't stop. There's still hope for DLC if Nintendo of Japan's handling at least some of the DLC choices and Arc Sys isn't just hogging Kunio for Cross Tag Battle, as sweet as that would be, though for a game like that I'd prefer the Double Dragons.

Last edited:

BigShad

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0602-6501-8253
Oh crap I forgot to mention; the world classics released in Japan some time ago, it's about everything you'd expect. Fortunately it's multi-language so you should be able to grab it on your Switch and understand what's going on.

Oh crap I forgot to mention; the world classics released in Japan some time ago, it's about everything you'd expect. Fortunately it's multi-language so you should be able to grab it on your Switch and understand what's going on.
Even the games that never came out in English are in English now?