• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More than four players this time?

Thunderslf

Smash Journeyman
In the greatest country (it's really ****ty) of the You-Es-and-Aye!

Only, in the USA. Everywhere else besides here, the GC did better then the 'box.

And regardless...give me 10 titles on the 'box that are worth playing. I'll help you out:

Halo
Halo2
Fable

....give me 7 more. And bonus points if 7/10 of them aren't racing or FPS.
Halo
Halo 2
Fable
Morrowind (Expansions included)
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Conker Live and Reloaded
Kung Foo Chaos
Ninja Gaiden Black
Psi-Ops
Psychonauts
Oddworld

There, 12 great games on the X-Box, none of which are racers or FPS games (Besides Halo, but those are good games anyway). Arguabbly, Conker is, but only for two parts of the single player campaign and the full multiplayer. Other then that it's a platformer. I can name more if you want ;) And for the record, Morrowind had 2 expansions, both of which are longer than most average games, especially when combined with Morrwind originally. All of these games are exclusive too ;) Also, not counting Oddworld just because you haven't heard of it is stupid, that's like saying "Eternal Darkness sucks because I never heard of it!", FYI, Eternal Darkness is a great game that is quite obscure.

Back on topic please, I think 8 players at once is entirely possible and would make Brawl alot more fun, especially at parties to alot of people can play, not just 4. I'm not entirely sure if Nintendo would do it, but like others have said there are already Virtual Console games that use 5 controlers, so why not 8 for Brawl? They would have to make some extra big stages though, or limit fighting to bigger parts of stages, because some stages seem to "grow" (The Halberd stage starts out on the tiny platform, but ends up on the giant ship).

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I like that fact that MS is in the mix, because instead of people being stuck with just 2 choices they have 3. I don't really hate any companies because without them other companies wouldn't learn from the mistakes they made which leads to higher quality games.

P.S. how can you hate Halo 2 and like Halo 1? I've played them both and apart from Halo 1 having no online, an overpowered magnum and semi-repetitive mission locations, they are both the same. I think Halo 2 executes multiplayer a helluva a lot better than 1 too.

Sensai

Smash Master
Thunderslf said:
Also, not counting Oddworld just because you haven't heard of it is stupid, that's like saying "Eternal Darkness sucks because I never heard of it!", FYI, Eternal Darkness is a great game that is quite obscure.
I didn't say it sucks, and I said right afterwords that I'd add it if it was considered a good game. I wouldn't count Smash as a good game if I'd never played it, 'cause that'd be dumb...haha.

And good point with the list of games. I've heard of 10 of those, and they're all pretty good (although neither Halo tickled my fancy). I take it all back.

lex.aut

Smash Apprentice
um.. okay, and why was my thread about the same topic (which i started on 4th january - 4 days before this one) removed?
-.-

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
Alright this thread should reach 10 pages so ill try to answer this from BOTH sides.

The game COULD be 4-8 players. ( just look at mario kart DD)
I'm pretty sure if YOU had a bunch of friends over to play SSBB and there were 8 of you total.
You KNOW you would not pick a stage like FD or Dreamland.

MAYBE there will be more than 1 HUGE stage in SSBB.
MAYBE there will be more team colors in SSBB
MAYBE the Wii will have more LAN support than the GC.

I don't know you don't know "that guy" doesn't even know.

------------------
The meaning of Melee (webster.com) = a confused struggle; especially : a hand-to-hand fight among several people

The meaning of Brawl = a noisy quarrel or fight
------------------

Alright, If brawl, Super Smash Brother Brawl, lives up to its name ( Like it already hasn't) it will be the same crazy team matches 2v2.
HOWEVER! If the game was to become 3v3 or even 4v4 LAN ONLY then the game would REALLY require team work/ more than one TV.

Maybe they will include some Lan only levels in Lan mode if they were to include it.
Levels that are either enhanced to support such an amount of players/lag/commands.
It's possilble. You should look at it from both PoV.

SPEAKING of PoV

From the side that would think its a good idea.
Yeah It's a good Idea. It's possible since IT IS NINTENDO for cripes sake.
I'd play 8 players unlike the people aginast the game I have a bunch of friends that would play 4v4, 2v2v2v2, or 8 man FFA.

I mean come on who wouldn't like a (speaking of melee characters that might return DO NOT FLAME THIS COMMENT) match between EIGHT Bowsers?!?!

From the people that don't like the idea...

Why would I want to have 16 ICs in FD?
When do things like these ever happen to the MAJORITY of SSB players?
I would have to either have a HUGE family, KNOW A LOT of people with free time, not want to play good games with alot of players like Halo ( again DO NOT FLAME ME ON THESE POV COMMENTS)(I think Halo is overrated and slow).
Look at games that had Lan connection and games that were silly.
Final fantasy CC, Zelda four Swords, Mario kart DD lan, Need I say more?
It's a silly idea you phail.
---------

Alright I like the Idea, as a college student ON CAMPUS I'd know LOTS of smash players that can't wait for brawl ( over 40). We could easily own a Wii for Lan partys lol.
I like the idea. It's should at least be put into the game even if it might not be used. ( again look at mario kart DD).
If it was to be used BOY would I be up on a school night.

:O I support Lan SSBB

Red Exodus

Smash Master
"I would have to either have a HUGE family, KNOW A LOT of people with free time, not want to play good games with alot of players like Halo ( again DO NOT FLAME ME ON THESE POV COMMENTS)(I think Halo is overrated and slow)."

I'm not flaming you, but if you play Killzone you will see slow. Everything is over animated to the max =/ the poor frame rate doesn't help either, especially since it's a pop-out-from-behind-cover-and-shoot-until-your-opponent-is-dead type game.

P.S. I agree.

Keige

Smash Journeyman
Halo
Halo 2
Fable
Morrowind (Expansions included)
Knights of the Old Republic
Knights of the Old Republic 2
Conker Live and Reloaded
Kung Foo Chaos
Ninja Gaiden Black
Psi-Ops
Psychonauts
Oddworld

There, 12 great games on the X-Box, none of which are racers or FPS games (Besides Halo, but those are good games anyway). Arguabbly, Conker is, but only for two parts of the single player campaign and the full multiplayer. Other then that it's a platformer. I can name more if you want ;) And for the record, Morrowind had 2 expansions, both of which are longer than most average games, especially when combined with Morrwind originally. All of these games are exclusive too ;) Also, not counting Oddworld just because you haven't heard of it is stupid, that's like saying "Eternal Darkness sucks because I never heard of it!", FYI, Eternal Darkness is a great game that is quite obscure.

Back on topic please, I think 8 players at once is entirely possible and would make Brawl alot more fun, especially at parties to alot of people can play, not just 4. I'm not entirely sure if Nintendo would do it, but like others have said there are already Virtual Console games that use 5 controlers, so why not 8 for Brawl? They would have to make some extra big stages though, or limit fighting to bigger parts of stages, because some stages seem to "grow" (The Halberd stage starts out on the tiny platform, but ends up on the giant ship).
Psychonauts isn't exclusive.

And I hope there's 8 players. It would make Temple actually an OK level.

AlPhAsTaTuS

Smash Rookie
8 players would be fun!!!!

if anyone doesn't think so, then he doesn't have to play with 8 players but just with 4

it isn't hard to do that :)

FireBomb

Smash Lord
I always thought of 4 as being the perfect number in everything. Yeah, I suppose if they want to truly live up to the name of "Brawl" then they may make it so that more than 4 people can play at once. Crew battles being 4 vs. 4, for one thing, would go a lot smoother and be taken care of in one fell swoop. As long as there's still a minimum of 4 players, I'll be happy with the outcome whichever way it works out.

Sensai

Smash Master
Haha, FireBomb...I don't think they're going to make Smash a 1v1 game. It wouldn't go over to well, except to us that enjoy having 1v1s.

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Does anyone know if it would take more than a firmware update to allow 8 wiimotes to sync to a wii? After the first four, there could be three ligts on the wiimote. No light in the leftmost would be player five, no light in the rightmost would be player 8, etc...

Sensai

Smash Master
Interesting observation, EnFerris...

Sadly, I have no idea. And doubly sadly, I doubt that Brawl will use Wii Remotes.

However....Classic Controllers might be worth thinking about.

FireBomb

Smash Lord
With that in mind, the easiest solution would have to be 4 Gamecube controllers and 4 classic controllers all at once. I wonder if the little thing can handle that many at once. . .

FireBomb

Smash Lord
Well, JEEZ, why bother thinking of more than 4 players when it may not be possible to have that many on one Wii console without having to resort to hooking it to another Wii? :dizzy: Nintendo, answer my prayers...

Sensai

Smash Master
That's the thing, though...I envision the 8 player (rather, more then 4 player) combat to be seperated onto at least 2 Wiis. Either by wireless LAN or by the Internet.

The Wii can definitely take 4 people...so 8 is possible between 2 Wiis.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
It would probably work on LAN but what about bots? Would you be able to go 4 humans vs 4 bots?

Sensai

Smash Master
Ah...see, that I would not see much use for. Having more space for bots would be a waste of time. Sure, you and 3 friends with 4 other computers might be entertaining...but I doubt I'd see myself using a 1v7 anytime. Ever.

Although, I could set up some awesome 4v4 matches. UPPER TIER VS LOWER TIER!

Aeramis

Smash Ace
4v4 would be fun or maybe 2v2v2v2 but other then that no need for 8 players on one stage. That would cause more lag. Not like the stages are all that big anyway. I think if they did add anything with 8 players it would more then likely be a minigame in brawl with Wii remotes or something along those lines.

Eric the Lone

Smash Journeyman
Sounds like a fart ripping good time to me. Just provide a few stages big enough (a little larger than temple)...oh, my yes. Teams would be...dayum.

ohnoitschris

Smash Rookie
I seriously think they're going to let you use the classic controller, since a Wii game that only allows you to use Gamecube controllers is a bit... odd.

Then again, Smash would feel weird with anything but the Gamecube controller. Who knows, maybe the classic controller will work well. :D

Zeee

Smash Journeyman
2v2v2v2 is by far the best thing they could do for brawl.
and putting shiek back in.

I vote for more colors for everycharacter....

Like green red blue and.... black/white/yellow w/e.

It could be like halo in madness

EnFerris

Smash Journeyman
Then again, Smash would feel weird with anything but the Gamecube controller.
Perhaps you're too young to remember this, but once upon a time, tere was a smash brothers game for the Nintendo 64(!) It's true! And I would say that the transition from N64 controller to Gamecube went pretty well, so it stands to reason that a change from a gamecube controller to aClassic controller will go just as well.

Seriously, I didn't mean anything personal. I just couldn't stand to not retort to that idea any longer.

felix45

Smash Lord
I dont think there will be more than 4. otherwise it would probably lag. even if they stuck w/ melee graphics and put 8 in that would be pretty laggy methinks (dont even begin to mention items as well...heh)

I kinda hope they stick with 4 just for the sake of lag. but I mean if they can pull off 8 without lag why not, I like to mess around in free for all matches sometimes :)

edit:
It could be like halo in madness
dont even compare SSB to that. its a crime, seriously.

Sensai

Smash Master
felix45 said:
dont even compare SSB to [Halo]. its a crime, seriously.
You win.

And I think that Classic Controllers would be fine. The transistion from 64 to GC was fairly difficult, but we all got it. But now that I've done it, I cannot play on the 64 worth a ****....

Who knows?

AceMoney

Smash Apprentice
Yeah, same here. Aren't there more buttons on a classic controller as well? I think so but I can't quite remember. However, I can see a new wii-mote attachment coming down the road that'll suprisingly time well with the release of Brawl. How do I know this? I don't...but I know Nintendo's tricks. Haha, anyways....yeah. I think there would have to be more colors for team melee if there were 8 people. That's a given. But I hope there's a more clear distinction this time. Playing green vs. blue team is very frustrating in melee.

ºOblivionº

Smash Journeyman
Yeah, same here. Aren't there more buttons on a classic controller as well? I think so but I can't quite remember. However, I can see a new wii-mote attachment coming down the road that'll suprisingly time well with the release of Brawl. How do I know this? I don't...but I know Nintendo's tricks. Haha, anyways....yeah. I think there would have to be more colors for team melee if there were 8 people. That's a given. But I hope there's a more clear distinction this time. Playing green vs. blue team is very frustrating in melee.
I second that, Like a white vs black team. When both teams carrys white, black, and grey.

Top Bottom