• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More than a feeling.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
This game shows people how not to run a band.

You do not pay band members based on performance. You divide the check evenly among your members. I mean, if it's based on performance, who gets to decide?

Not a really big deal, just another reason I have found not to give a **** about these games.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
sounds like someone got made fun of a little bit too much for being bad at guitar hero

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
sounds like someone got made fun of a little bit too much for being bad at guitar hero
Actually, all of my friends have been really supportive whenever I pick the game up. Granted, most of the time when I do, I can cite alcohol johns, so I don't really give a darn about my performance anyway.

I like how any distaste for a game obviously comes from a bad experience, and can't come from a genuine dislike for the game's premise.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Actually, all of my friends have been really supportive whenever I pick the game up. Granted, most of the time when I do, I can cite alcohol johns, so I don't really give a darn about my performance anyway.

I like how any distaste for a game obviously comes from a bad experience, and can't come from a genuine dislike for the game's premise.
lol swf-tier damage control

only a brawl player would even care about how how guitar hero divides your band cash

Pi

Smash Hero
the games premise is pressing the right buttons and doing the...bar thingy at the right time...
getting more money for better performance is merely an incentive to do better
sports players get payed based on their performance, if they mess up they make less, if they're vip they make more

why are you even turning this into a serious thread

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
the games premise is pressing the right buttons and doing the...bar thingy at the right time...
getting more money for better performance is merely an incentive to do better
sports players get payed based on their performance, if they mess up they make less, if they're vip they make more

why are you even turning this into a serious thread
Like I said, I don't like the premise.

Ask ama why he's the one who's butthurt that I don't like the game.

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
i've FC'd Scatterbrain, The Number of the Beast and Cliffs of Dover.
get at me.

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Someone been surfing NGG before they came to swf. Lol.

Also - Guitar Hero was dead to me after 3. It's when the series decided "MONEY" Although that's how all businesses run . . . . it's just more obvious.

Guitar Hero 2 - You were so awesome, you made my day on all my consoles. WHY ARE YOU GONE!?! **** trade-ins.....

Handorin

Smash Hero
Easy song is easy. >_>

get at me.
Cliffs of Dover- Impressive
Number of the Beast- O.o
Scatterbrain- WTF?

Seriously?

Someone been surfing NGG before they came to swf. Lol.

Also - Guitar Hero was dead to me after 3. It's when the series decided "MONEY" Although that's how all businesses run . . . . it's just more obvious.

Guitar Hero 2 - You were so awesome, you made my day on all my consoles. WHY ARE YOU GONE!?! **** trade-ins.....
2 was legit. 3 was the best. Metallica is pretty beast, and I'm pretty sure Van Halen will be as well. The other games post3 are subpar music where you won't like 98% of the songs, more like 70%. (Please more people with some stuff, not some people with everything =/ )

Strong Badam

Super Elite
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Guitar Hero was dead to me after 3. It's when the series decided "MONEY" Although that's how all businesses run . . . . it's just more obvious.

inb4 obvious mentioning of a transfer of developers as Red Octane moved on to Rock Band being cause of GH's decline in quality.
imo, GH2 was the best. GH3 had popular songs and ridiculous difficulty but it got to the point where it was difficult to be difficult (Raining Blood? Seriously? Not even fun to try to 5*. and of course... TtFaF, which isn't difficult anymore and is just boring <_<), rather than difficult to be fun and challenging (Free Bird, Hangar 18, etc., which are timeless and always fun to play even if you can FC them.)
that, and GH3's HO/PO system is stupid and encourages really sloppy fretwork :/

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
Like I said, I don't like the premise.

Ask ama why he's the one who's butthurt that I don't like the game.
quick someone find the first post which isn't along the lines of "lollllllllll" and maybe more like "**** THE PREMISE I HATE THIS GAME"

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
quick someone find the first post which isn't along the lines of "lollllllllll" and maybe more like "**** THE PREMISE I HATE THIS GAME"
I'm ashamed for your sake that I need to spell this out:

My first post in this thread is like, "lolllllll."

I don't like the game, and am amused and, admittedly, bemused by its unconventional interpretations of reality. You seem to be offended by this, and I'm at a loss as to why. Should I simply have withheld my opinion for your sake? Maybe I should do so in the future.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I'm ashamed for your sake that I need to spell this out:

My first post in this thread is like, "lolllllll."

I don't like the game, and am amused and, admittedly, bemused by its unconventional interpretations of reality. You seem to be offended by this, and I'm at a loss as to why. Should I simply have withheld my opinion for your sake? Maybe I should do so in the future.
or maybe it's because it isn't actually comparing to reality but has it's own system because it is a game and they expect people to realize that.

If you go to more stats, it shows you get graded on certain things and get money based on that.

exarch

doot doot doot
Usually not playing Brawl. Location: Enterprise
get at me.
On drums?!? Holy crap I didn't think that was possible! lol
That's pretty crazy though.

Easy song is easy. >_>
Then let's see you do it, too! I've only played this song a handful of times.

And I am in no way a hardcore GH player. This just kinda happened randomly (as you can see from my brother playing with me,) I figured I'd share.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Challenge accepted. I'll at least get around to it after my 360 gets back from repairs in a few days (or I go use Chad's 360).

I wish you could play Cliffs of Dover on drums though. =(
They left out so many good songs in Smash Hits.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
or maybe it's because it isn't actually comparing to reality but has it's own system because it is a game and they expect people to realize that.

If you go to more stats, it shows you get graded on certain things and get money based on that.
You seem to think I don't realize all of this. Grading you based on performance aspects is a part of beat-matching games in general. I just find these games' attempts to gain authenticity by forcing real world analogs amusing at best and pathetic at worst. The points = money issue is on the amusing end.

It all just makes me wonder what the point of all the dressing it up is, when Pop'n Music is a better game anyway.

ama(m/t)

Smash Lord
You seem to think I don't realize all of this. Grading you based on performance aspects is a part of beat-matching games in general. I just find these games' attempts to gain authenticity by forcing real world analogs amusing at best and pathetic at worst. The points = money issue is on the amusing end.

It all just makes me wonder what the point of all the dressing it up is, when Pop'n Music is a better game anyway.
do you even read what you write before you post it

ZIO

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Quick ridin' his rooster, Ama. It's so obvious you want it hardcore.

Pi

Smash Hero
Lol...so...ph00tbag...you don't like the game because they've added $ after a number instead of 'points'?
Or do you juss not like the gameplay?

exarch

doot doot doot
Challenge accepted. I'll at least get around to it after my 360 gets back from repairs in a few days (or I go use Chad's 360).

I wish you could play Cliffs of Dover on drums though. =(
They left out so many good songs in Smash Hits.
It'd probably be like the Satch Boogie/Play with me charts: very disappointing.

Yes they did. And put ****ing Raining Blood back in. What the hell?
Raining Blood over Cliffs of Dover and 3's &7's??

My cousin broke the wire which connects my yellow cymbal to the rest of the drum set. The cymbal was already testy and worked questionably well in the first place... but now I gotta fix the thing. Frickin little kids.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Lol...so...ph00tbag...you don't like the game because they've added $ after a number instead of 'points'?
Or do you juss not like the gameplay?
I don't like the gameplay. Whenever people break it out at parties, I get bored after the first song or two, but everyone else wants to keep going. I honestly couldn't give any specific reason I don't like it, though. It just doesn't appeal.

But it's obviously a phenomenon, so they must be doing something right.

Pi

Smash Hero
I don't like the gameplay. Whenever people break it out at parties, I get bored after the first song or two, but everyone else wants to keep going. I honestly couldn't give any specific reason I don't like it, though. It just doesn't appeal.

But it's obviously a phenomenon, so they must be doing something right.
It's spose to be mentally stimulating, I guess

I like those type of games because the idea is so simple yet it's very hard to perform

It's like, logically, you see the colors, you press the colors, you strum the thing, easy right?

But then there's so many of em...

And...in the future...should you develop a disdain for a game which is liked by the general populous, and you are unable to pinpoint the reason you dislike it, you might not wanna post about it because I can't foresee any positive outcome

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
I guess I should say that I used to be really into DDR, until I started to get good at it. I realized I wasn't better at reading the colors or anything, when I found that I could do the songs I was good at without even needing to see the screen. I began to feel like it was more about muscle memory than anything, and If I'm going to devote my time to developing muscle memory, I might as well focus on a real instrument or something.

I'm going to stop being so demeaning about the game, though. Now I'm starting to mean the mean things I'm saying.

you might not wanna post about it because I can't foresee any positive outcome
I consider lulz a positive outcome.

nevershootme

Smash Master
I only play for the challenge... DDR, Beatmania IIDX, Pop'n Music, Guitar Hero / Rock Band... every single music game i've played has a challenge to each it's own... it's more of a test of hand-eye or feet for ddr case coordination...

exarch

doot doot doot
Actually, most things require muscle memory to get good at. Some are more applicable (sports, musical instruments, writing/typing,) while others are less so (guitar hero, smash brothers.)

As someone who used to play a musical instrument, and then quit, I really enjoy GH because it uses the same parts of the brain which are necessary for sight reading.

Muscle memory is developed so you can execute patterns without having to read every note. So since you did get good at DDR, you could have gone into other songs and applied the same patterns from the songs you could play without looking. In this way, you get better at reading the colors on the screen.

The brain can only process so many pieces of information so quickly, so making the chunks of information larger is how you get better at sight reading.

I also like GH because I was able to develop limb independence on my own without having to buy a drumset. But the drumming on those type games is far more realistic than guitar.

ph00tbag

C(ϾᶘϿ)Ͻ
Actually, most things require muscle memory to get good at. Some are more applicable (sports, musical instruments, writing/typing,) while others are less so (guitar hero, smash brothers.)

As someone who used to play a musical instrument, and then quit, I really enjoy GH because it uses the same parts of the brain which are necessary for sight reading.

Muscle memory is developed so you can execute patterns without having to read every note. So since you did get good at DDR, you could have gone into other songs and applied the same patterns from the songs you could play without looking. In this way, you get better at reading the colors on the screen.

The brain can only process so many pieces of information so quickly, so making the chunks of information larger is how you get better at sight reading.

I also like GH because I was able to develop limb independence on my own without having to buy a drumset. But the drumming on those type games is far more realistic than guitar.
I agree with all of this. Ultimately, I felt like the more applicable ones were more rewarding to me. In my case, I learned a few foreign languages.

Criosphinx

Smash Lord
You know... responding directly to a person with the intent of direct antagony is considered trolling last time I checked.

Which, in addition to being annoying and stupid, is really starting to make you look like a giant tool.

Top Bottom