• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More on the F.L.U.D.D.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
Recently, I've been using Mario more and more, thanks to the "useless" F.L.U.D.D. which my friends keep making fun of. After using him for about a week, I've come up with some interesting uses of it.

Some of the bigger characters have some attacks which have a ton of lag, or charge-up time. For example, Ike's Eruption attack. I killed Ike the other day right when he started charging Eruption while I ran at him; I quickly stopped and pulled out F.L.U.D.D., and it pushed Ike straight off of the edge. He didn't have enough time to finish the attack and recover.

Another example: I was fighting against a Kirby when he attempted to use the rock-fall on me near the edge. I quickly dodged then pulled out F.L.U.D.D. again, and within half-second Kirby was rock-falling to his death off the edge.

Basically, it's incredibly useful when your opponent is near the edge, and he thinks you're going to dash attack/SHFF him, I'd guess nearly 70% of the time they pull out a shield... I usually stop for a second (mind games ftw,) then pull out the F.L.U.D.D. right when they drop the shield and respond with an attack, which ends up causing them to fall to their doom in the middle of an attack. Or, if they're expecting a grab, fireball to F.L.U.D.D. works pretty well too (or cape to F.L.U.D.D.)

It doesn't ALWAYS work, but it works very well for getting your opponent off of the edge, which is something Mario loves with his spike. It's great for mindgames, despite doing no damage. All-in-all, I'm seconding Mario now, thanks to F.L.U.D.D.

stingers

Smash Obsessed
Interesting...

Thanks for the applications! Mind getting a few videos to show us some examples though? The first one against Ike in particular is something I'd like to see.

DKpunch!

Smash Cadet
NEW UPDATE

The F.L.U.D.D.'s direction can be controlled after release, so it doesn't just go straight out. You can aim it up, down, wherever, making it a MUCH better edgeguarding technique.

SK8orDIE

Smash Apprentice
hehe....u should maining mario for other better reasons...go check this thread....http://smashboards.com/showthread.php?t=142771
It can't hurt to have people exploring different nuances of a character. That's how you expand the public knowledge base.

Great find, by the way. If this use of FLUDD can be applied consistently, it will fit in nicely with the passive, devious nature of the cape edgeguard. Please post some videos so we can see FLUDD used effectively against some different characters!

Crazy_mofo213

Smash Lord
That's pretty cool and could add some strategy to slow opponents with lag but i'm still kind of dissapointed that they replaced Mario's tornado with fludd

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
i've played around with fludd as well and found some more proactive ways to use it.

i've killed a Ganondorf at > 20% using fludd, i got video but no capture card so if someone wants me to post the video as a brawl file i wont mind.

you can use fludd to stall people while they do their air attack and then counter this is quite fun to do it also makes people coming back from the stage mind their position and leave themselves open for a cape. basically use fludd as a Cape companion.

i need to post some videos bad.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
Thanks for some positive input on flood. I can see uses for it now.

Vidd

Smash Cadet
So say Bowser does his down B and you shield-roll it. You could push him off the stage? Nice.

Rhubarbo

Smash Champion
The FLUDD is awesome! It's a shame that Squirlte has the same attack...

skullkidd

Smash Ace
I hate FLUDD.
Anyway, would it be useful to use on Ness or Lucas while they might be PK Thundering/Freezing/Flashing, when their in that constipated position?

What about when you shoot the water during an opponent's ^B? Like what happens when Snake is Cyphering on stage, can you use the water to steer him back away from the edge?

Mike Hawk

Smash Journeyman
with cypher you actually give snake some vertical gain as for ness and lucas i've yet to try them but i can tell you that if you are in a constipated position and you get fludded you will die

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
dr. mario is better. RIP
WTF get out! Dr. Mario is not as good as Mario (don't believe the tiers on that one. Mario is technically superior by a bit used correctly. People just don't give him enough credit competitively). And the plumber owns. The Doc's ONLY game unfortunately sucks.

Cosmonaut213

Smash Rookie
thanks for the find man...I was sticking to mario from the beginning Now I this determines me even more when I play with Mario as my main

Top Bottom