• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

More Of My Yoshi (CRT Recordings)

Did you enjoy the Videos

• Yes, Educational

Votes: 4 57.1%
  • Yes, Entertaining

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No

Votes: 2 28.6%

• Total voters

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
NOTE: Tampa Smash considers METAL CAVERN a Legal counter-pick, Therefor we give the winner 4 bans instead of 3.

Me vs ToonLink: http://www.twitch.tv/taerknet/c/4135745 (vs DoomChickens)
Good set vs DoomChickens (picture breaks up a bit at first, but comes back after about 30 seconds or so)

Me vs Mario: http://www.twitch.tv/taerknet/c/4135853 (vs Wilson)
This particular player is relatively new and has little experience with actual players. But This is an example of my movement being on point and dominance of the match.

Me vs DeDeDe&ROB: http://www.twitch.tv/taerknet/c/4135825
I know both match-ups thanks to friends. This player obviously played both differently than my friends, but I got a handle on his habits and took the set for it. (picture breaks up a bit in second match, but comes back after about 20 seconds or so)

Me vs Lucas: http://www.twitch.tv/taerknet/c/4136034 (vs TreeTrunks)
I can usually get the better of this player, but He out-spaced me very well, knocking me out of the tournament and in 3rd overall.

Me vs Sonic: http://www.twitch.tv/taerknet/c/4136108 (vs Sartron)
Please ignore the first match where I play snake, I'm still learning him.
This particular player has a far better neutral game than I do, and I don't know the Sonic match-up well. I found that Garb-Parries kept him off me a good amount of the time. I use a ton of Egg-roll in my game, and I intend to perfect that, not change it. I think I played well and my movement was solid, I did myself in by wrong DI or stupid decisions. Anyways, It was a good set of matches.

Overall, I got 3rd after losing winners then losers finals. It was a good tournament and I got outplayed. I need to play more and learn more. I hope you guys enjoy these matches.

Please Give me some feedback! I would like constructive criticism, as long as it doesn't imply me changing the way I play my game. Yes, I need to work on my ledge game, I need to work on rising aerials off the stage/from the ledge. And I need to work egg-lay into my game. Anything other than what I've mentioned, please let me know what you see!

Last edited:

didds

Smash Lord
I love your use of egg roll. One thing that I didn't see too much of was some low to the ground DJC aerials, more specifically nair. I love it for shield pressure since it's really hard to counter when you throw out jabs after. It's also nice to have as a mixup from the usual jab >jab, for example, if they're getting used to the double jab then you could do a jab >djc nair > jab > jab or whatever. Granted I only watched the Mario match and you usually made the right decision to just grab him, he seemed overwhelmed and was shielding a lot. I would suggest more bair as a zoning tool, but you definitely seem to have more of a "get in" style of play so I get how that would have less utility.

I do like dash away > short hop to avoid an attack, and then immediately punish their wiff with a DJC bair in the direction you came from. That's just my two cents, you do really well with actually using most of Yoshi's tools aside from egg lay which you already mentions. I really only use that move against heavy zoners and DD'ers anyway. I love it against charizards and marths.

Scatz

Smash Champion
I implore that you use the video thread to dump your videos. That way the boards doesn't get cluttered with older, more obsolete threads.

Also, if you want me to critique, please let me know which match you feel best represents you (mistakes made or not).

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I implore that you use the video thread to dump your videos. That way the boards doesn't get cluttered with older, more obsolete threads.

Also, if you want me to critique, please let me know which match you feel best represents you (mistakes made or not).
Ok, I'll do that. I didn't think about that, sorry.

As for critiques, the one vs Sonic shows me when I'm outclassed (a few mistakes in there) and the one vs mario. A critique of both would be great.

Scatz

Smash Champion
Ok. I only did your match VS Sonic because the match vs Mario wasn't applicable for me to actually pull apart considering that you and him have a fairly huge disparity in skill level.

Learn to DJC your aerials. That provides you an ability to mix up your aerial spacing and can often make you safer since you land on the ground faster. Yoshi is terribly slow in PM when he's not using DJC to mix his aerials up effectively. You're able to see how open you are to an attack just by rewatching your own match. Whenever you felt like you had an opening to attack sonic for not spacing his attacks, you we're using a SH aerial, which leaves a lot of cooldown after the hitbox has come in contact with something (go to 4:35 for example). A person that has better reaction time will be able to punish you for that. DJC will make you safer since it's lower to the ground and able to be fast falled.

Also, your combo game is hella closed off because it doesn't look like you have a solid foundation on using DJC to stay low to the ground and get low percent combos. Reason why I say this is because your combo game after a D-throw is very poor from missed opportunities to landing weaker punished like Dash Attack.

Let me ask you this question: When you played against the Sonic player, were you watching your opponent or your character during the set? I ask this because it seems like you have issues keeping up with Sonic during certain times, but then you'll be completely fine another moment during the set. I've had this talk with a few other people and it seems to me that when a person plays against someone that plays a fast character, the mind would end up getting overwhelmed trying to keep up with his movement and patterns. What'll happen is you'll sometimes stop focusing on your opponent and would look at a certain spot or your own character until Sonic gets close enough for you to see him. At that point, the person doesn't have enough time to completely take in what Sonic did before getting to that spot, and they'll be forced to guess where he'll be and what he would be doing. This makes your reaction times lower, makes your spacing game off, and make you get punished more often than need be.

You have a pretty heavy reliance on using Egg Roll to get you from the top platform to the bottom of the stage. You've done this multiple times and I don't know why Sonic didn't catch on to punish you for doing it that many times. Your reliance on egg roll is also exceptionally high too. You end up using it in places where the hitbox isn't at it's best (aka in the air) or would stop using it in positions where Sonic would punish you. For the most part, Sonic can punish egg roll because of his speed, but I don't know the details. Just be mindful how often you use the move.

DI those throws man. I'm fairly sure Yoshi shouldn't get CGed from D-throw. You can't let it happen so easily for him if you couldn't get away the first time.

Don't go fishing for the kill. You have to let it come to you. When your opponent sees you trying to fish for a kill, then they can make you work for them, and before you know it, you'll have lost the match. Play calm and keep your game normal. You'll get the kill to come your way then.

Overall, you need to make sure that you don't let your focus wander when playing against faster characters. They'll easily bring out your issues more than it would be with slower characters. Stay calm throughout the match and don't try to force a kill to happen, and learn some DJC so that you can make your Yoshi safer.

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
Ok. I only did your match VS Sonic because the match vs Mario wasn't applicable for me to actually pull apart considering that you and him have a fairly huge disparity in skill level.

Learn to DJC your aerials. That provides you an ability to mix up your aerial spacing and can often make you safer since you land on the ground faster. Yoshi is terribly slow in PM when he's not using DJC to mix his aerials up effectively. You're able to see how open you are to an attack just by rewatching your own match. Whenever you felt like you had an opening to attack sonic for not spacing his attacks, you we're using a SH aerial, which leaves a lot of cooldown after the hitbox has come in contact with something (go to 4:35 for example). A person that has better reaction time will be able to punish you for that. DJC will make you safer since it's lower to the ground and able to be fast falled.

Also, your combo game is hella closed off because it doesn't look like you have a solid foundation on using DJC to stay low to the ground and get low percent combos. Reason why I say this is because your combo game after a D-throw is very poor from missed opportunities to landing weaker punished like Dash Attack.

Let me ask you this question: When you played against the Sonic player, were you watching your opponent or your character during the set? I ask this because it seems like you have issues keeping up with Sonic during certain times, but then you'll be completely fine another moment during the set. I've had this talk with a few other people and it seems to me that when a person plays against someone that plays a fast character, the mind would end up getting overwhelmed trying to keep up with his movement and patterns. What'll happen is you'll sometimes stop focusing on your opponent and would look at a certain spot or your own character until Sonic gets close enough for you to see him. At that point, the person doesn't have enough time to completely take in what Sonic did before getting to that spot, and they'll be forced to guess where he'll be and what he would be doing. This makes your reaction times lower, makes your spacing game off, and make you get punished more often than need be.

You have a pretty heavy reliance on using Egg Roll to get you from the top platform to the bottom of the stage. You've done this multiple times and I don't know why Sonic didn't catch on to punish you for doing it that many times. Your reliance on egg roll is also exceptionally high too. You end up using it in places where the hitbox isn't at it's best (aka in the air) or would stop using it in positions where Sonic would punish you. For the most part, Sonic can punish egg roll because of his speed, but I don't know the details. Just be mindful how often you use the move.

DI those throws man. I'm fairly sure Yoshi shouldn't get CGed from D-throw. You can't let it happen so easily for him if you couldn't get away the first time.

Don't go fishing for the kill. You have to let it come to you. When your opponent sees you trying to fish for a kill, then they can make you work for them, and before you know it, you'll have lost the match. Play calm and keep your game normal. You'll get the kill to come your way then.

Overall, you need to make sure that you don't let your focus wander when playing against faster characters. They'll easily bring out your issues more than it would be with slower characters. Stay calm throughout the match and don't try to force a kill to happen, and learn some DJC so that you can make your Yoshi safer.
Yeah DJC out of shield and djc aerials close to the ground in general I haven't worked on much. I want to learn every option Yoshi has, because he has a monstrous number of mobility options. I need to work egg-lay and down-b from the ground into my game. I recognize that I overuse eggroll, but I rely alot on mind games and the mobility of eggroll lets me mess with my opponent. The reason I feel confident using eggroll in the air is because of the hitbox when you get out of eggroll is relatively good and has good priority.

Thank you for critiquing my play, I'm working hard to get better so I can make a name for myself in the P:M scene. Smash-Academy and CEO, Here I come!

TensenROB

Smash Apprentice
Yeah DJC out of shield and djc aerials close to the ground in general I haven't worked on much. I want to learn every option Yoshi has, because he has a monstrous number of mobility options. I need to work egg-lay and down-b from the ground into my game. I recognize that I overuse eggroll, but I rely alot on mind games and the mobility of eggroll lets me mess with my opponent. The reason I feel confident using eggroll in the air is because of the hitbox when you get out of eggroll is relatively good and has good priority.

Thank you for critiquing my play, I'm working hard to get better so I can make a name for myself in the P:M scene. Smash-Academy and CEO, Here I come!
The hitbox for coming out of egg roll has about the same priority as down-b from air, meaning the hitbox doesn't extend outside Yoshi's hurtboxes, so it has poor priority. It hits on frame 7 which would be good but it's your only attack option out of aerial egg roll (no hitboxes in the air except end animation). You will generally only trade hits with it at best, at worst you're knocked out of it and won't have a double jump. It's better to get out of egg roll early or not use it in the air because it only deals 5%, making it Yoshi's weakest attack from the air. Plus egg roll won't have the small hop on startup so it's very possible that you won't be able to recover if they land a solid punish which they can because of the limited options out of aerial egg roll. It can also be crouch cancelled.

BrawlboxScreencap2.png

edit: egg roll in the air does have a hitbox as long as you touch the ground first. egg roll ending hitbox can combo out of it. but without the first hit it is still very weak

Last edited:

straydoggywog

Smash Cadet
I watched your Lucas and Tink matches. I learned a couple things, mainly how to implement grabs into my game it was very helpful.

But your follow ups from the egg, I feel like you're not utilizing all your option. You tend to resort to a jab then chase with another move. You should start using tilts out of Side-B. A combo I use is side-b,u-tilt, u-tilt, f-tilts and depending on where they DI, I can chase with another Side-b to start it all over again, a d-tilt or finish the combo with a Nair, or shoot an Up-B Egg at them or read for a kill move. and that's 50-60 damage right away. the Jab out of egg to d-throw I will start using though as well for mix up purposes.

Toomad

Smash Rookie
DJ to trade. I noticed vs. the Lucas a lot of the times you would double jump, eat a hit and then egg roll. Try and use your super armor to trade directly, nair or uair as soon as they've connected with you. See aMSa in RoF for prime examples of abusing double jump armor.

210stuna

Smash Lord
I main Lucas as of now, and I am looking for a secondary.

That being said, I only watched the Lucas video.
Tell your Lucas friend that he needs to DJC PKF! Also Lucas' DACUS is too good, not to learn how to use.

Okay as a Yoshi tip I can only tell you from the Lucas POV how to win the MU.

1) Grab the ledge when Lucas is returning. Lucas has a great recovery, but it's not God like and can be punished. Every time you let him tether the ledge he is getting a free return. You could intercept it, or (the better option) you could grab it to make him pop up for an instant punish (Yoshi's Nair works great). Be careful if you grab it for too long, because Lucas can cancel his tether grab and feed you a magnet that could potentially kill you.

2) Don't be afraid of his PKF. Essentially anything with a hitbox can cancel it with no damage on your part. Too many people are giving it way too much credit and fear it when it's really not that bad. He wasn't even DJC'ing it.

This information is more about any character VS Lucas, but take it as you will.
I thought this could help you out!

TomBoComBo

Smash Ace
I main Lucas as of now, and I am looking for a secondary.

That being said, I only watched the Lucas video.
Tell your Lucas friend that he needs to DJC PKF! Also Lucas' DACUS is too good, not to learn how to use.

Okay as a Yoshi tip I can only tell you from the Lucas POV how to win the MU.

1) Grab the ledge when Lucas is returning. Lucas has a great recovery, but it's not God like and can be punished. Every time you let him tether the ledge he is getting a free return. You could intercept it, or (the better option) you could grab it to make him pop up for an instant punish (Yoshi's Nair works great). Be careful if you grab it for too long, because Lucas can cancel his tether grab and feed you a magnet that could potentially kill you.

2) Don't be afraid of his PKF. Essentially anything with a hitbox can cancel it with no damage on your part. Too many people are giving it way too much credit and fear it when it's really not that bad. He wasn't even DJC'ing it.

This information is more about any character VS Lucas, but take it as you will.
I thought this could help you out!
this material is very old so both lucas and myself have improved. Thanks for the tips but this stuff is outdated

Top Bottom