• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Montreal Thread - You better comming!!!1

what do we do now?

• Play Brawl.

Votes: 127 41.4%
  • Play Melee.

Votes: 167 54.4%
  • Steal Airman from the Toronto guys, think about it later.

Votes: 42 13.7%
  • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUVdA9ABzpg

Votes: 19 6.2%

• Total voters

BigRick

Smash Master
Montreal, Canada AKA Real City brrrrrrrrapp!
yes I know I'm not dedicated enough, but I dont think there's sumting wrong with that. Some games can be about grinding and dedication, but thats not the games for me hehe

Funny thing is that Sirlin clearly stated that Kongai was a pokémon ripoff, but oh well I dont see any wrong for hating Pokémon and loving Kongai, as long as they are valid reasons.

Card

Smash Lord
Funny thing is that Sirlin clearly stated that Kongai was a pokémon ripoff, but oh well I dont see any wrong for hating Pokémon and loving Kongai, as long as they are valid reasons.
That's my point.

SRK: HA! You like Pokemon? ****ing ***got, go get laid kid.

Sirlin creates Kongai, Admits Pokemon Mechanic Rip-Off

SRK: KONGAI IS THE BEST THING SINCE SLICED BREAD OMG YOMI YOUR FACE

Sorry if I sounded like I was attacking you or anything. I just hate the SRK community and everything they are worth.

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Thnx for your reply ThatGuy... IF (I say IF! lol) I was to rent the venue which I was talking about (the expensive one) I wouldn't even think of raising entry fees(15 and 20$)... the only way I would go through with it was if I had around 75 people show up (which I know is a lot, especially considering it's my first time hosting a tournament... but I know of at least 4 other guys who'll be with me running this thing + all the help I'll get from some of the guys on smashboards who have experience, so I really think I can handle it...), keeping in mind that some of them will enter both singles and doubles.... And I forgot to mention that the place costs 400$ + taxes for 8 hours and 550$ + taxes for 12h (which one's the better choice?) So JUST to pay the fees off, I would need 31 ppl showing up for singles only and then from there the money goes to the pot (or 43 if I rent the place for 12h... I know the pot won't be HUGE but a tournament is meant to be more fun than anything else right? And I know people would appreciate it and have fun if I pull it off, all things considered. In case you wanted to see the place:

http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/por...cuments/La_Maison_Pitfield_et_site_ext_EN.pdf

Keep the feedback coming, I really apreciate any help I can get (this is for all of us!! don't forget :D )

P.S.: If you must know, I'm 19! And some of the ppl that will be helping me out are 20.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
10hrs would be better...Like from 2h-12h that would be the best, but I guess 8hrs could be fine if there is no singles pools.

If it is well organized enough you might get people from ontario as well, which could be a very good thing for more people.

You might want to make sure about some points as well:

1-Space
2-Set ups, which can be a semi-big problem (time problem, mostly) if there isn't enough, but that you'll see when people register.
3-Discuss about the rules before making them, because sometimes tournaments hoster don't know anything about pros rules.
4-Make sure the place is kind of well accessible, I mean if it's in the forest where people live with wolves it's not that much of a good idea, yes we can do a lot of noise without problem, but it can be hard to follow the map to get there >.>

That's just a few tips, but if you're gonna host a tourney I'll go. You should come to weeklies as well. =P

ThatGuy

Smash Master
System Failure, I noticed this location you speak of is in Pierrefonds. Do you live in West Island? We have a couple good players around here.

In any case, I admire your dedication to run a tournament, but you have to make sure you're fully prepared for this job. A lot of unexpected **** can happen. TCT1 was canceled because of the contract prohibiting money transactions. SYG^ was canceled because one of the nearby residents complained about the 'disturbances' going on near his home. No Mercy vs. The World was nearly canceled because the guy refused to rent the room out the day of the tournament. All of these tournaments were run by people who were experienced with the Smash community.

Also, I have to point out that you're relatively new to the community. I mean no offense when I say this, but I'm sure that a lot of people cannot trust that you are capable of running a tournament, at least not yet. We've never met you before (although we'll have a formal introduction tonight at the weekly :p), so right now it's tough to say if you're serious about running a tournament or a very enthusiastic smash fan bringing up false hopes and will leave the community after getting beaten (which has happened very often, I assure you).

It's good that you're 19, anything below 18 probably would have been a no-go as far as running tournaments is concerned.

Also, don't settle. It's probably a nice place, but there's a good chance that you will find something better (or at least relatively on par), for much cheaper. A big prize pot attracts better players. Better players attract more players. Winning formula.

And make sure you list out every expense you have to pay before and after the tournament. Just to make sure we get what we expect.

†¹Ãgøn¥¹†

Smash Ace
if you're serious about running a tournament or a very enthusiastic smash fan bringing up false hopes and will leave the community after getting beaten (which has happened very often, I assure you).
Wow,really? xD That's kind of sad and noob...I guess that doing this just prooves that you aren't made for competitive playing,IMO.

BigRick

Smash Master
From the Japan Location Test for Tatsunoko vs. Capcom;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcwEE-q-AjE = Chun-Li beasting
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AI_EzdJBVI8 = Alex 80% to Stun Gun Death Combo lol

I love this game
lol I finally checked the vid when I went back home.

btw Card who are these Tatsunoko dudes? Are they like the Japanese equivalent of Marvel Super Heroes???

The game doesn't look bad but I doubt that Capcom will try real hard to push our market with it.

Card

Smash Lord
lol I finally checked the vid when I went back home.

btw Card who are these Tatsunoko dudes? Are they like the Japanese equivalent of Marvel Super Heroes???

The game doesn't look bad but I doubt that Capcom will try real hard to push our market with it.
Tatsunoko is a Japanese Anime company dating back to the 1970's.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tatsunoko
Wikipedia will do a better explanation than me.

They are responsible for Speed Racer and Samurai Pizza Cats, so I am expecting Speed Racer and Speedy Cerviche to be playable characters!!!

GO SPEED GO

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Yea... my only problem really is the fact that I'm new in the community and I was hoping to cut corners on that one lol but I guess there aren't really any shortcuts for that... Hopefully I'll be able to come to the weekly tonight and meet some of you though and that would already be a big step towards organizing a tournament...

I'm sure you can tell how serious I am about doing it, but I can't really be the judge of whether I'm prepared or not; it all depends on the circumstances... There's always a first time for everything so hopefully mine will be a good one! And yes, I live in the West Island and so do all the players I play with (although I only consider a couple of them as worthy players... The rest are still learning, hopefully one day I can say I have taught them well lol)

Please feel free to share locations because that's really the thing that's bothering me the most right now; that's what I'm most unfamiliar with, seeing as there are SO many choices and I don't know which one is considered right for an event such as this... But mind you, once I've decided everything and have proven to myself that I can actually do this, everything will be very clear and final; in other words I won't be one of those hosts that always doubts himself, constantly asking people for feedback or preferences, ultimately going back on his word... Once it's set, it's set, and I'm very familiar with pro sets of rules etc. and will base myself on past successful tournaments for time schedules and that sort of stuff...

You spoke about money issues; other then the venue's fees, I can't think of many other thigns to pay off...? And as for the unpredictable problems that you listed, I'm fully aware of the fact that I'll need to get informed about the transaction policies of the venue, the surroundings so that nobody files complaints (if we were to do it in the Pierrefonds location, we wouldn't need to worry about that at all), etc. I'll make sure everything would run smoothly before the big day...

Also, I don't know if you noticed on the link I put, but the venue offers rentals of single rooms rather than the whole chalet, meaning cheaper, but a smaller crowd capacity.. So that means I could still start to advertize the tournament with that location and according to the amount of entrants, rent the corresponding space in the chalet, which I find quite convenient... Again leave me with your thoughts!!

BTW my name is Denis, if you're fed up of calling me System Failure lol, you're choice! And I can't emphasize how thankful I am for your help... Hopefully I'm not getting anybody's hopes up yet because what I'm doing now is simply seeing if I have it in me to take on the responsibility... I'm still assessing it all, nothing more

Fogel

Smash Lord
Since it looks like System Failure 333 is looking to build a rep for his tournament, I will point out to the Montreal community that he took the time to PM me and ask me a few questions about tournament organization, so it shows that he is serious about it. I think he's the only one who has ever done so :)

Rick, what times are you usually on Kongai? I'll look you up.

"Train Up" being an advantage/disadvantage is probably a subjective opinion. Some feel its good because you don't have to spend hours, others feel its bad because it doesn't allow dedicated players to stand out. Training Up allows for some incredibly unique builds. You would be surprised in the differences a Gyarados has depending on its EV's, IV's, and Moveset.

Intercept is in Pokemon in the form of Pursuit. Only difference is in Kongai everyone can do it with an ugly animation of the sprite sliding, whereas in Pokemon its a Dark type attack which is incredibly potent versus Ghosts. Certain Poke's can be geared up and built in such a way that their Pursuit is a guaranteed kill on a Ghost, whether they switch or not.

I didn't play Kongai much after seeing how much it ripped off Pokemon, but I would not be surprised if there were moves which have identical properties to Pokemon (Ex: U-Turn from Pokemon allows the Pokemon to Attack and then Switch AFTER having attacked)
This post would be longer, but Rick already said most of what I was going to say anyways.

I agree about 'Training up' being subjective; some people like spending that kind of time on their Pokemon and I can understand that those people would think it's a positive. Personally, I don't have 20+ hours of time to spend grinding away making a team just so I can actually 'play' the game seriously. From what I see, Kongai is basically like Pokemon but it gives you your perfectly IV and EV trained pokemon right away. You can just play the game and not worry about grinding, and I prefer things that way.

About Intercept vs. Pursuit, I would assume that not all Pokemon can learn Pursuit? If so. it means that only certain characters can really punish switching out easily (unless there are other moves like it...I can't remember). This seems like a bit of a disadvantage to Pokemon in the Mindgames department.

As for the SRK trashing on Pokemon thing, I never really followed their community so I can't really say anything about it. Sirlin did say right in one of the posts on his site that he took the battle system from Pokemon though.

cF=)

Smash Lord
LOL JEWS DID 911

I had to do that on page 911, and since I'm high, it's the first thing that went through my mind (shoutout à tout le monde de montréal (chet<3) parce que je viens habiter avec vous à partir de l'avant dernière semaine de août)

spoiler posts catch your attention...

yes...

it does...

:)

System Failure 333

Smash Apprentice
Since it looks like System Failure 333 is looking to build a rep for his tournament, I will point out to the Montreal community that he took the time to PM me and ask me a few questions about tournament organization, so it shows that he is serious about it. I think he's the only one who has ever done so :)
Thanks a lot Fogel, I appreciate all the help I can get... And some of you met me ystd at the weekly, dunno if that changed anything for you but I know it helped ME in wanting to host a tournament even more than before lol

BTW Fogel, seeing as you're from Ottawa and you have quite a tourney rep down there, maybe you can help me get the word out in the west about a Montreal tourney! Seeing as I'm trying to make this quite a big one, and if you can make it you'll be able to help me run it!! Just pitching ideas lol I was actually planning on attending your Twilight of Smash 5 but some things came up and I couldn't in the end...

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
Thanks a lot Fogel, I appreciate all the help I can get... And some of you met me ystd at the weekly, dunno if that changed anything for you but I know it helped ME in wanting to host a tournament even more than before lol

BTW Fogel, seeing as you're from Ottawa and you have quite a tourney rep down there, maybe you can help me get the word out in the west about a Montreal tourney! Seeing as I'm trying to make this quite a big one, and if you can make it you'll be able to help me run it!! Just pitching ideas lol I was actually planning on attending your Twilight of Smash 5 but some things came up and I couldn't in the end...
If your really wanting to host a tournament, i know Swordguard (AiR) is wanting to host one as well and has started in looking for places.

Maybe you two can work together and when things are more concrete, im sure a lot of people will want to pitch in.

Fogel

Smash Lord

By 'the west' are you referring to Ontario? I can let people know about it, but to be honest I don't know how many people in Ottawa are willing to travel for Brawl. Also, I don't have much pull in Toronto. I'll advertise if you want though.

Fogel: For Kongai I dont really know lol, I just play when I have the time.

Maybe I'll get on there 2night.
I won't be able to play until 9 or so, but I'll try to see you on Kongregate. To be honest I don't even know how you'd challenge a particular person, all the modes seem to choose your opponent for you :/ Looking forward to seeing your decks/mindgames!

filauc

Smash Journeyman
I already have enough of Kongai. I get 1 card per 7 matches and it's a crap card while other players have super good items -_-'.

BigRick

Smash Master
lol filauc just keep whoring Cornelius + Blood vial until you get what you want

sry Cam I didnt get on my cpu yesterday... to play against your friend you can try the Host Game fonction but I heard that it's kinda hard to use since there's lots of ppl that keep on joining your room when it's up

zaf

Smash Lord
sry agony i wont be coming tonight to the arcade. i forgot that i was going to a comedy show tonight with john lajoie in it lol.

Mystic Viper

Smash Ace
I might go to it, but in other short notice news, i don't know if i'll still be comming tonight.

My girlfriend bought a wii (out of impulse) and i have to set it up and get a few games for her.

zaf

Smash Lord
tuesday i might be able to come. Im going camping monday and dont know if i will be back tuesday night. But i know i will be back in time for this epic weekly.

Top Bottom