• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mono-Type or Specific Pokemon Run-throughs?

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Does anyone ever do these? I'm just starting because I think they add a twist to Pokemon along with the Nuzlocke Challenge. Just another fun thing. Post here with which type/pokemon you used!

I've only started one so far, which is:
Zorua Only (Nuzlocke as well, 1 badge. Videos can be found here!!)

You?

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
I did

A Horsea only run through of the game

Gardenia's and some kid's Electabuzz on the road were absolute hell to go through

Wave⁂

Smash Legend
I did a mono-Smeargle run of Emerald. Actually, it's more like "am doing", since I'm too lazy too grind up for the Elite Four. Tate and Liza were terrible.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
smeargle is broken though

ev train in speed, spore, super-effective move, gg

you can replace a move every 10 levels and everything too in addition to TMs

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
chesto berry, then finding a wild paras of a high enough level and waiting around for it to use it.

failing that, go into a double battle and have it use spore on your own guy.

too bad you can't actually really do that in a mono-run...

:mad:

Bird Law Aficionado
BRoomer
3DS FC
3351-4631-7285
I've made a few mono teams. Normal, brown, fighting and poison to name a few. I also started a solo run of Emerald with just a Vigoroth for the hell of it.

Moozle

Smash Champion
I've done a mono grass runthrough in Blue, Silver, Crystal, and Ruby. I love grass pokemon <3

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
I plan on doing a One pokemon run through with atleast a fifth of the pokemon in pokemon White. I also plan to do a few type and color ones as well. :D

Dooms

KY/KP Joey
NNID
Doomsyplusle
3DS FC
2921-9568-4629
Nice! Haha! I plan on doing a Cubone run soon in White! Cubone is sooo cool and cute at the same time! I love 'em! :D

Moon of the Strawberries

Smash Journeyman
I've done a few of these.

I have done a solo Charizard run in FireRed, a solo Torterra run in Diamond, a solo Piplup run in Diamond, and i'm currently working on an NFE run in Ruby (which consists of Torchic, Makuhita, Electrike, Trapinch, Wailmer, and Snorunt). I'm also still working on my Nuzlocke run as well so I guess you can add that to the list too. I'm sure i'll do more of these soon, hoping to be able to do a solo Pikachu run in Yellow version one day.

kirbyraeg

Smash Hero
solo pikachu in yellow?

that'll be easy but boring, just waiting until you get double team...then powering through stuff at +6 evade. Once you clear Brock then you'll be at a slightly high enough level to deal with the opponents you come across to level up equally vs. other trainers you see. Bruno's onyxes will be difficult though, lol.

xxmoosexx

Smash Lord
I tried a solo magikarp run in Emerald once....i gave up.

Of course I had to get it to where it learned Flail but...still ugh.

mizujin

Smash Cadet
I've done a Pidgey-only in Gold. Jasmine and Red's Pikachu gave me hell. :(
I also did a Zigzagoon-only in Emerald rather recently. Roxanne and Tate/Liza were ridiculous, but besides that, it was pretty easy.

JOE!

Smash Hero
doing a poison only (and Empoleon) run in platinum, as ive almost allways ignored the type on my teams, and ive never used the penguin <.<

Mr. Johan

Smash Hero
NNID
Sonicboom93
On my new HG file, I have a Yanma, a Shuckle, a Pinsir, and a Venomoth around the level 30s. I had just beaten Chuck.

I didn't even realize I was basically training a mono-Bug team (+Mantine and Jynx) until I was in the middle of EV traning HP and Defense on Shuckle by beating low level Hoothoot and Exeggcute. I was like "wait what?"

Guess I should go bust out the Scyther and Paras I caught at the National Park and actually do something like this.

mood4food77

Smash Hero
solo pikachu in yellow?

that'll be easy but boring, just waiting until you get double team...then powering through stuff at +6 evade. Once you clear Brock then you'll be at a slightly high enough level to deal with the opponents you come across to level up equally vs. other trainers you see. Bruno's onyxes will be difficult though, lol.
how do you expect to get past brock?

november1093

Smash Rookie
Mono Runs are kind of easy. I am doing a mono normal in Platinum right now. I got a Bibarel, a blissy, a porygon 2, a kecleon, a dodrio, and a girafarig. I completely own everything. So I'll prolly do a NFE soon because I want a hard challenge, but what is nuzlocke?

E123-omega

Smash Journeyman
A nuzlocke challenge is runthrough where you put several limiting factors on yourself to add challenge to the game. It also forces you to use pokemon you would never think to use. Most people also nickname ever pokemon, to make them more of your own

When a poke faints, release it or put it in the box to never be used again.

You can only catch the first pokemon on the route, if you fail to catch it, too bad. Just keep going.

No legendaries are to be used

If you "white out" that's a game over and you must restart the game.

You can add rules if you want to. For example, in the sevii islands, I left behind all of my pokemon except for my starter. I had to rebuild my team ala Ash Ketchum.

D

Deleted member

I did a mono run w/ gardevoir by trading myself an egg from a previous file. I used a 30/10/31/31/31/31 modest female ralts with trace, bred to have will-o-wisp and wish (TOOK FOREVER). I also EV trained it upon hatching by killing 236 bidoofs and 255 starlys and 19 kricketot with 10 psychic to get from lv 1 to a usable level (took substantially less forever). Then after I got further in the game, I used berries to knock the speed back down to 100 and re-EVed it properly.

I finished here:

Gardevoir @ Leftovers
Modest/Trace
236 HP / 136 Def / 24 SpD / 112 Spe
10 IV for Attack
Psychic
Grass Knot
Will-O-Wisp
Wish

edit: for reference, I killed most of the game brutally. houndoom is a pain in the *** though.

Blarg I'm Dead

Smash Apprentice
Mono-type runs are fun. But it usually comes down to picking pokemon that can learn moves to kill other types. Like Typhlosion with thunderpunch and earthquake in gen2.

Solo's are fun but I don't have the patience for something really hard like a no evolve weedle/pidgey run. I hear end game it's spamming x-stat items to kill **** anyways.

I did Solo Blastoise in rby but it's not very hard at all. It's Blastoise and 2 hm slaves. Blastoise will be getting all the exp so he'll be 10+ levels over everything. Ice beam tm from celadon helps with Erika, dig tm after cerulean for surge, earthquake for koga and sabrina, lol brock, blaine, and giovanni.

Fuelbi

Banned via Warnings
You can add rules if you want to. For example, in the sevii islands, I left behind all of my pokemon except for my starter. I had to rebuild my team ala Ash Ketchum.
I remember actually doing that, but with a plain old normal team and that was absolute hell

Then I called in some pokemon ala Ash Ketchum for gym battles and suddenly it wasn't so hard :awesome:

TheDekuNut

Smash Journeyman
i did a starmie only run on ruby. traded it from leafgreen as soon as i could. It really wasn't that hard cause starmie is pretty broken ~icebeam, t'bolt, surf, psychic gg. i'm thinkin about doin somekind of themed run of yellow some time maybe when The Speed Gamers do their pokemon marathon. Red/ ash themed /monotype/ solo. it would be fun for at least the early game

Top Bottom