• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Money Matches: How does your scene treat them?

BigglesWorth

Smash Apprentice
Money Matches: single round or game for a couple bucks or a couple thousand bucks. A mutual agreement. Is it all that healthy for the community? I am wondering these questions simply because I am a part of a smaller scene that is getting a resurgence and with an influx of interested masses in smash who could be better (I being one of them, I just got up and did something sooner). The experiences I have seen, read, and heard all show a very multifaceted aspect to this tradition in the community. So I have a small analysis of it and I am just wondering what you guys think of it, how your scene or region deals with it (only shunned for tourney but not smashfests?; public or private thing?; couple bucks or big numbers?). I am also wondering what people think of the alternatives to MMs that I will list afterwards.

Negatives: Harmful Aspects of Money Matches on the Community

1) Encourages pursuit of profit over sport thus fostering a bad attitude for newer players. It's a money match: people in general are ultimately doing it to make a few bucks which isn't that same thing as encouraging players to do their best at a game everyone loves.

2) It encourages predatory behavior. Hiding skill levels to take advantage of newer players is a suddenly a rewarding tactic in an environment with MMs. Using quick gimmicks or using unpracticed matchups on a person suddenly becomes easy ways to make a few extra bucks on people rather than the informed and third party ensured tournament format.

3) It grays the lines of gambling. I am not saying it necessarily is, but it is a bit of a gray area. Here play this quick game and see who gets pot is still pretty back alley. Dealing with venues and state laws who don't understand tournaments as a public form of competition like a marathon is difficult enough, money matches could just make the scene have a harder time forming events if its seen with the lenses of quick cash exchanges.

4) It lacks accountability. This is mostly when money matches are done in the non-public space. There is any TO or organization or venue to hold both parties accountable to the money and to not rip the other off. Though money matches can be sanctioned by these third parties, they are usually are not matters that would incite some form monitoring to prevent scams.

Positives: Why People Money Match in the First Place

1) TO BUILD DA HYPE! The idea is to create drama by calling someone out to a money match. When it is not puerile and arbitrary, it can from time to time create rivalries for scenes to find support and entertainment in.

2) To support veteran players. The previous statements probably made me sound like I was against having smaller ways for smashers to get money, but actually I understand completely why people do it. If you don't feel like a tourney is pretty guaranteed, having a way to supplement the hours of practice and least reduce the travel cost is a reasonable sentiment. Who doesn't want to pay few bucks to get a shot or practice at someone who is good at the thing you love and support them in doing so?

3) To practice with seriousness. Let's face it. For some, it can be difficult to have both players playing their peak if its just a friendly. People money match often times to put something on the line so they can try to get the most out of the match. The motivation the pot gives hopefully allows a more rewarding play session with a greater value in the practice.

While I like some of the reasons why scenes would encourage money matching (hype, supporting players, getting better play sessions), I don't personally find it to be worth having around because the of the self-detrimental system it creates. I was wondering to more alternatives to money matching that would solve some the needs people try to fulfill by encouraging them.

A) Best-of-8's- a smaller way to improve a person's chances of playing with better players while supplementing incomes in a way that doesn't encourage scamming. A venue or third party runs a single elimination bracket for a group of 8 and everyone agrees on an amount they all put in. 1st place gets 5 shares, 2nd gets 2 shares, 3rd gets there money back. This allows for cheaper costs rather the larger amount money matches can accrue while also granting accountability to the money and rules being utilized. Best-of-8's are quick enough to do a bunch of them so its possible to get in with people of your skill level and have a chance of at least getting your money back.

B) Weeklies- while more expensive than Best-of-8's and even money matches at times. Weeklies do means a lot of opportunities to get money as well as a basis for a scene to be involved in.

C) Crew Battles-this mostly a way to replace the hype reason for money matching. While you could do a Crew MM for a little bit more accountability, I would say just crew battles on a semi regular basis create more rivalries and hype than any money match in general. They also encourage teamwork and synergy between many people with a locale, which helps build the scene unlike money matching.

So those are some thoughts. What do you think of my personal thoughts on alternatives? Do you TO and ban money matching at your tournaments? Do you have reasons to like it or not? Is it more just a matter of not caring? Does your area shun or relish money matches? Any other benefits or disadvantages to money matches? What do you think?

SAUS

Smash Ace
I think money matches are more about pride. Keep it small. Don't money match for an amount you aren't comfortable with, and you won't get "scammed". I usually do $5 or less. If it were a little more serious, it'd be $10. Either way, losing $5 is not going to screw me over financially, and winning $5 is going to get me an energy drink, and maybe a chocolate bar. It's really not profitable. Another issue with trying to use it for profit is that people will quickly learn about you and warn other players. Communities are small and tight.

If someone does it for $1000, that is for show and for pride. It is saying to everyone "I think I can beat this guy - I'd even bet $1000 on it" and the opponent accepts meaning he has the same mentality. It is hype because that is two gigantic egos fighting each other - there's not going to be any holding back with that much money on the line.

If you are not comfortable with putting money on the line, then don't. If someone is pushy about it, I'm sure they'll get **** for it from the rest of their community.

Also, it doesn't grey the lines of gambling. Gambling is all about chance - anyone can win. Melee is not about chance - this isn't mario party. If you keep losing, you will stop money matching very quickly. If you keep winning, people will stop money matching you very quickly. It's just not the same.

Onomanic

Heaven Piercer
For me and from what I gather from my local scene, money matches are way less about money and more about pride. They are about hype and who can beat who. The cash is simply a bonus.

Signia

Smash Lord
Smashers generally play for very small stakes anyway, so most of those become non-issues. I feel like they're playing to see who is really better instead of for the chance to win money. Though higher amounts of money really does increase the tension dramatically. Suddenly every hit seems to matter, and you see people do less manner-SDs.

They in fact do get new players into the proper attitude for tournament play. It gives them practice being under pressure. And it helps them learn the game. Feedback is much stronger when something is on the line. Maybe that scrub Falco will remember to stop F-smashing at the edge so much if they get shield-grabbed and gimped for it when they really wanted to win. It's much more clear what a good play and a bad play is when players are actively trying to make the most out of every situation. You aren't helping new players learn by suboptimal flashy stuff.

Top Bottom