• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Momentum Carrying?

Jokes

Smash Cadet
Alright, so, I was messing around with Diddy in training mode, and, if you were to run off the edge, your momentum from dashing would still be evident for a few frames, SO, if you were to use an animation to HOLD that momentum, such as a banana pull, you'll carry the momentum from your dash. The earlier you do it when you come off the edge, the faster and farther you'll go. Try doing this with GW and never release your Down B, you'll carry your momentum until you release Down B. For some reason, this doesn't work (or is just REALLY hard to do) for all characters. It can be used with other B attacks, depending on their physics, such as Judge Hammer.

INPUT? >:O

fZk

Smash Lord
This has been known for a very long time. A lot of characters can do this with some of their special attacks. One of the most notable and earliest to be implemented was Mario's side B.

Dekar173

Justice Man
But at least you're posting on your findings :)

A really good use for this for Diddy is for pulling a naner then almost instantly having one in hand, the downside is that you put yourself offstage in order to do so.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
This to double jump to nanner pull again, then side b the edge. Two on the edge right there. o.o

Edit: If it's been known for so long, why do hardly any characters implement it? =/
I'm sure it has more uses then you might think. :|

chimpact

Smash Lord
3DS FC
0361-7166-1377
Because it's not that useful.

If you're opponent has fast ground speed they could get the banana that is on the edge because you are so far from the stage from the momentum

Jokes

Smash Cadet
Because it's not that useful.

If you're opponent has fast ground speed they could get the banana that is on the edge because you are so far from the stage from the momentum
Please, you could just cancel it a few frames later than usual, and a simple double jump would get you back to the edge, and instant throw anyone?

A really good use for this for Diddy is for pulling a naner then almost instantly having one in hand, the downside is that you put yourself offstage in order to do so.
Yes, but having a nanner in hand while offstage is pretty advantageous when compared to a Diddy without a nanner while... anywhere?

Dekar173

Justice Man
Yes, but having a nanner in hand while offstage is pretty advantageous when compared to a Diddy without a nanner while... anywhere?
I don't think you're getting my point, you're doing something theoretically advantageous (putting a naner in your hands) faster than most normal methods, BUT you're putting yourself in a poor position to do so.

When you're offstage, you don't have many options, as you're being forced to recover.

One way to do this and possibly cover yourself would be to GT a naner upwards so you're keeping momentum to fall offstage, plucking the naner, then instant throwing or catching the one you've plucked and then grabbing the ledge. Your opponent won't have a free run at ledgegrabbing against you, and now you've got both of your naners out :) Definitely not a fix all, but a good mix-up, possibly.

Jokes

Smash Cadet
I don't think you're getting my point, you're doing something theoretically advantageous (putting a naner in your hands) faster than most normal methods, BUT you're putting yourself in a poor position to do so.

When you're offstage, you don't have many options, as you're being forced to recover.

One way to do this and possibly cover yourself would be to GT a naner upwards so you're keeping momentum to fall offstage, plucking the naner, then instant throwing or catching the one you've plucked and then grabbing the ledge. Your opponent won't have a free run at ledgegrabbing against you, and now you've got both of your naners out :) Definitely not a fix all, but a good mix-up, possibly.
Don't forget that you're getting it out safer as well, and I don't think the boost from a GT is enough to keep you going offstage. =/
Also, when I cancel my dash into a boosted pull, smashed or not, the nanner lands on the edge if you cancel it perfectly. I don't think you can catch the nanner in the air at the same time as a boost, but, Dash boosted nanner pull to double jump to either (monkey flip kick) or (another nanner pull to rocket barrels)

Again, I don't see how you can catch it while in the air. =/

Dekar173

Justice Man
Don't forget that you're getting it out safer as well, and I don't think the boost from a GT is enough to keep you going offstage. =/
It is, I do it from time to time, and what I told you is what I generally do when I get the chance to do so :)

GO TEST IT

Jokes

Smash Cadet
It is, I do it from time to time, and what I told you is what I generally do when I get the chance to do so :)

GO TEST IT
Lmao, Dekar. If you're saying to GT, then you'll lightly fall off stage to pluck a nanner that'll hit the edge and fall into your hands for a Z catch, then that's not it.

Try dashing all the way to the end of FD, then pull a banana RIGHT as you get off the stage.

Edit: That trick probably beat out this whole discussion in terms of usefulness and safety, lol.

AlphaZealot

Former Smashboards Owner
Administrator
Premium
BRoomer
Related this:
Dash attack to edge, at the end of the dash attack you can use the extra momentum to fall off the edge facing toward the stage (opposite of what we are talking about in this thread), do a nana pull here, use your jump, then grab edge.

Top Bottom