• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Moar Mario vids (Updated 12/10/08)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738

Monk/Honkey/Banana

Smash Champion
Get control against Diddy and keep it...I know Abscent is good from what Polmex told me...but it's not that hard a match-up just stay in control...

Ease up on the jabs and dash attacks

work a little on your recovery(Cape first, Jump second)

I'll watch the other videos later

Matador

Maybe Even...Utopian?
The biggest problem I find with Diddys is that they can easily take the match into their comfort zone. You have to take that from them, and Mario definitely has the tools for it.

Firstly, you need to slow down the match. Don't roll, sidestep or fireball if he has a banana in his hand unless you're at a safe distance, or he WILL catch you. Instead, wait for the toss. Either cape or Dair into the banana and go from there. Toss it offstage or try and use it against him, but don't let him regrab it. Usmash >>> Dsmash in this matchup mainly because if any of your hitboxes touch the bananas, you trip and screw yourself.

Without bananas, the match is yours. You win in KO power and combo ability while your ranges are pretty similar. Everytime you shield his Dsmash, you have enough time and space to Fsmash OOS. Nair his upB or cape it if he's coming at a predictable angle. The rest is pretty much instinct after playing them enough.

This is generally how I fight Diddys that rely heavily on bananas.

Edit: No it's not, but watch it anyways XD

You can also live to absolutely absurd percentages vs Diddy. There's a thread floating around telling how to properly DI out of his Fsmash and Usmash; I'll link it when I find it. Use this against him.

nice vids especially vs dk on battlefield. u could have won if u decided 2 cape him again but u wanted the spike finish. u have good combos but i must say ease up on the fludd. i no u wanna make use of it but it gets u hurt sometimes and its best used 4 gimpin recoveries. against diddy i think u were nervous. use his bananas against him dont throw em off stage.

Matt07

Smash Master
I watched all of the except the Wario video.

Hmm...like others said try to roll less, use dash attack less. Keep using your dsmash if you want for punishment, though I like saving all my smashes for K.O's only. That u-air chain on DK, on Final Destination was very nice.

Be careful how you use FLUUD, they punished you, for using it an the wrong times.

Oh, use Up B out of shield too, it's really good :).

A2ZOMG

Smash Legend
NNID
A2ZOMG
Switch FC
SW 8400 1713 9427
I think in general you don't have very good control over your character. You use rolls too much to space (as in roll behind opponent -> D-smash). You also got predictable with air dodge recovery and things like that. Most of your strategy was generally hit your opponent -> roll away, when sometimes it would have been better to keep putting pressure on your opponent. You used Dash attacks when an aerial attack would have been better, I dunno, all in all, you have a lot of limited movements.

And I dunno, you need to learn SH double B-airs.

Also, when recovering, first U-air to cancel knockback, then Cape, then at the last possible moment use double jump.

viparagon

Smash Ace
dude... try to sweet spot the edge more... you kept on jumpning into the giant punches. nice uair chain though.:)

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Thanks for all the critique guys.

I dunno. Abscent is just a whole new level for me to play against. It's hard to fight against someone who grabs so much and utterly destroys you if you make one mistake. I try to be extra careful around him, but I end up just making myself nervous. =/

Yeah, I definitely roll too much and I noticed it. I'm trying to break the bad habit by making better use of spotdodging and air dodging.

He's definitely an annoying person to play against. He's the type of person who goes for the 3-stock, then if he can't, he'll go for the 2-stock. If he's down to one, he'll just try to wreck you for putting him down to one stock.

It's good practice... but I dunno. He's quite tiresome.

@A2: No worries. I know how to SH Double B-airs. I don't make much use of it against him I suppose.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Super Bump.

New vids of me against a Marth crewmember. There are 8 vids in all, but I only posted what I believe are the three of my best performances.

Matt07

Smash Master
Okay the first match was good, I didn't really see any mistakes.

Second match, wow umm can I say pwnage? The combo's and gimps were nasty pro. Lol I was like ****ing tripping after you FLUUd'd him, but you still got him so that made me :).

Third match, the last combo was ****ing sick. The up B was a bad idea, lol. Don't you hate it when you want to 'humiliate' your opponent yet it always works against you.

Sick Mario in general. I think you should be added to the 'roster' of DTM2.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
^I think battlefield was more epic, lol.

Third match, the last combo was ****ing sick. The up B was a bad idea, lol. Don't you hate it when you want to 'humiliate' your opponent yet it always works against you.
What got me was that I noticed after I died that he used his 2nd jump during the WOP. I was like ****IT WHY DID I DO THAT!?

Sick Mario in general. I think you should be added to the 'roster' of DTM2.
Lol I don't think I'm DTM-worthy yet.

I'm hoping sometime today I can record matches against Ice Climbers, Falco, and Olimar so I can put them up too.

Judge Judy

Smash Lord
Great Mario, and total pwnage on BF. My only complaint is that you could of tried to force Marth to approach a little more with the FLUDD, but you got the job done with fireballs (Great fireball spam), had great reads, and were pretty smexy with some of those juggles. Honestly Hero, your Mario is good.

vadgama

Smash Journeyman
Marth has good range with that sword.. gah drives me crazy.

You did seem a little hesitant when facing Abscent as diddy kong, but the other matches u seemed all there.

HeroMystic

Legacy of the Mario
NNID
HeroineYaoki
3DS FC
2191-8960-7738
Abscent's Diddy Kong pisses me off so much, lol.

I haven't played him for a few weeks though, so I haven't tested my new skills against him. I'm already able to consistently beat his DK, but not Diddy.

For Marth, you just have to know when to back off. If he's abusing his range, you jump away and camp with fireballs. Make him approach you no matter how long it takes and create an opening. FIHL works wonders too. Then once you're inside, don't let up. Abuse U-air if you have to, because you need to keep the pressure on him so he's backed into a corner, then go and gimp him. It's easy as hell to gimp Marth.

Oh, and thanks for all the comments guys. There was no Brawl meeting today so I'll have to try tomorrow.

Top Bottom