• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK vs Pit

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
this whole thread will be devoted to information on how pit can beat MK, so lets get some discussion going so that we can get a few pointers out there, cause besides Rhy's section thats all there is , and there has to be something more then that out there.

post what you know we all stand to learn something or other, and maybe our combined knowledge will build to find an easy way out on MK like a good gimp or something who knows

The following is a compilation of knowledge from me and anyone who has posted here

1. MK is a light character which means low percent KO's if you can just sweet spot a Bair i think it kills him at a little over 70%, the problem is for that is his aerials way out prioritize, or just have longer range then PIts

2. MK's aerials out prioritize or out range pits im not sure about pits Uair against MK's Dair though i think pits Uair might out prioritize MK's Dair

3. Edge Guarding MK is practically impossible

4. MK has only 4 kill moves Dsmash Fsmash Nair and up B

5. MK has no reflectors or projectiles and is therefore open to being arrows spammed, the closes thing to edge guarding pit can hope for against MK is to shot some arrows to make the MK focus on dodging and returning and racks up some damage.

6. With two glides and quite a few hops it is practically impossible to ko him at bottom blast zone and and his recovery from the sides rivals pits which we all know is fairly amazing. the top blast zone though is always a good option and it opens him up for arrow spam while coming back down if nothing else.

7. His side B can be mirror shielded so if he attempts to recover with that, GIMP HIM

8. His Up B and glide attack can also be mirror shielded so if you can predict an up b then its would be helpful to gimp him like that

9. Camping out on the edge of the stage against a returning MK could be deneficial as you are set up for either d tilt or to mirror his up b

10. MK is immune to arrows during mach tornado but has no reflectors

11. Ftilt ***** MK's tornado

12. SH Dairs are pretty effective against him

13. SPAM ARROWS haha people always think bad when they hear spam but its almost neccesary in this matchup to take advantage of Pits arrows when far enough away from MK

14. Proper spacing is vital to avoid being whorenado-ed to death

15. SH alot to avoid MK's Dsmash which is a definite rapist

16. Looped arrows can hit MK in whorenado if you make them come straight down

17. Know your stages! Know which to pick counterpick and restrict, normally stages with platforms and or obstacles favor pit more then meta. so if you're one of the people out there who refuse to accept that their are stages out there besides final D (like me) its time to branch out a bit

Rhy's pit guide is made of win, heres the meta section from it

Don't try to edgeguard him, it doesn't matter since his light weight will get him KOd quickly. He's capable of gliding twice, and him attacking won't cost him any distance for his recovery. Take advantage of the situation by shooting as many arrows as possible.

The F-tilt and D-smash can co through Metaknight's Mach Tornado. You can also jump over him and use the D-air.

Metaknight's four KO moves are: F-smash, N-air, up-B, and D-smash.
- is F-smash is slow coming out, he'll only use it in tech chases.

- His N-air is like Jigglypuff's rest. He has to be at point blank for it to work. There's no way he can combo in to it. He'll use this is when you mistime an airdodge, or during edgeguarding.

- His up-B being his recovery move, means he's very vulnerable if missed. He can use it out of shield, but the the range in front of him isn't very far. If you're in the air, and he's coming after you from below, fast fall first and air dodge just when he's in range. If he does the up-B, he misses. If he doesn't do the up-B, your fast fall should get you out of range anyway.

- His D-smash is his easiest to land KO move, and it's also his weakest. He won't be able to KO you with it until over the 100% mark. F-tilt, and weaving in and out D-airs can avoid Metaknight's out of shield D-smash.

Out of shield smashes are your friends. Metaknight's biggest weakness would have to be his lack of shield knockback in all his attacks. There's enough lag after most of his aerials, tilts, and smashes for you to punish him with F-smash or U-smash.

VENOIYI

Smash Rookie
my advice is to just spam arrows and side Bs like 99% of the pit players out there... but as for all air attacks MK pretty much ***** pit because of his speed.

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
alright well while hey its yo had some helpful advice Veno does bring up a valid point, MK's aerials all seem to out prioritize pits which takes away a big part of Pits game.

oh and anyone who wants to post things like hey its yo should just not bother typing cause frankly it doesnt help at all

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
no kiding ive beat mk before he is not as cheap as everyone says is he cheap heck yes he is but he isnt unbeatable he is light. maybe that helps lol easyer k o's also its worthless edgeguarding so dont i usually just shoot arrow so he gets more damage. i used to play mk and one think i would do is when im about to grab the edge and they are standing above the edge not edgehoggin i would throw shuttle loop it would like go thru the stage and hit them once again pretty worthless probabally but im just trying to contribute

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
yea thats the kind of stuff needed though, just a huge compilation of little things about MK that could help us eventually find a hole or something

Ryazan

Smash Ace
Normally I don't spam arrows or AR, but against MK, since he's so hard to edgeguard, I usually just do that to build up some damage. I usually spam arrows more than AR to avoid getting comboed into a flurry of aerials, but either way I rack up damage somehow and then carefully approach and try to KO him off the top. I almost always go for off-the-top KOs so that I don't have to worry too much about edgeguarding.

FzeroX

Smash Journeyman
You can mirror his glide attack and up b, though very hard to time. Also when a meta knight is below stage I go to the edge and crouch, from there you can either dtilt for a spike, though very rare, which kills at about 50% unless canceled, or if you effectively predict his up b you can mirror it and then laugh in there face.

kotahlicious

Smash Journeyman
on the topic of reflectors mk doesnt have one but if he in neutal b ing it does nothing to him if u hit him with arrow no damage dont interrupt him or anything.

Tipzntrix

Smash Apprentice
Ftilt the MK's neutral B if he comes directly at you with it. Space and try to keep your distance. Arrows are good for this. When you guys get close, a short hop to dair will do good, or you can try to grab him. The mirror shield is useful for gimping recovery as said. I rely quite a bit on Ftilt here since MK's range is longer than it looks.

Ryazan

Smash Ace
I don't know if this has been said, but if you know how to loop arrows you can make an arrow come at him from above when he's using mach tornado.

crownvick

Smash Apprentice
(baltimore) Ok Nobody Move And Nobody Gets Hurt U
OK listen to this. So far I have the best online pit and olimar. But My pit has the hardest time with metaknight. No offense to metaknight but in the sssbb have u looked at how many meta counters there are? Only 3 Marth, Snake, and mr g. Every 1 else gets *****. And I dispise metaknight. he is so much better than pit. His down smash is annoying and super fast -_-

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
From experience on fighting a spammy MK i find that careful spacing and neutral airs stop his tornado imo the ftilt comes out to slow and yea spam arrows

teh_pwns_the

Smash Journeyman
sorry crownvick buuuuut i believe people like Undr and Sage would just have their way with you, and please try not to claim things like being the best pit until you have any proof.... sorry for adding onto all of the prior comments about this

In case any of you guys havent checked Rhy has a pretty awesome thread about all moves taht stop MKs neutral b

Rogue Pit

Smash Lord
:)
sorry crownvick buuuuut i believe people like Undr and Sage would just have their way with you, and please try not to claim things like being the best pit until you have any proof.... sorry for adding onto all of the prior comments about this

In case any of you guys havent checked Rhy has a pretty awesome thread about all moves taht stop MKs neutral b
I don't completely agree he could be a good pit but you just don't know to judge him sage is good yes but some people can naturally beat others because of fighting style also ive only vids... vids of pit vs. samus, ive never played undr to say hes great or even seen pit vs. pit with undr so you cant make general statements like that.., and i beat sage :] had to put that out there

sagemoon

Smash Lord
I'm a terrible online player. Please stop assuming I can play online like I can offline....

Edit: Also sir lucario you lost to me more than you won...

sagemoon

Smash Lord
Claiming that you're the best at online is like saying you won the special olympics.... If you win, you're still ********.
(okay not trying to belittle online players. Just had to make the joke)

back on topic.

Pick good counterpick stages. Any stage with platforms or stage obstacles works well for pit. Jungle japes has been the best in my experience. MK has a better recovery than pit so watch for that. An exception to obsticles is ones that mess w/ pit, especially smashville. It benefits MK more so than pit. Know your stages. Norfair would probably work well, but its banned here so idk. drop through floors (delfino, halberd) seem to help pit as well.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
I just need to win a tourney
Its customary to win the tournaments before you claim to be the best. You can claim to be the best you've played thats fine but you have to put that line in.

Anyways on topic don't expect your glide attack to be useful. Metaknights tornado just eats it.

Ryanarius

Smash Journeyman
Pick good counterpick stages. Any stage with platforms or stage obstacles works well for pit. Jungle japes has been the best in my experience. MK has a better recovery than pit so watch for that. An exception to obsticles is ones that mess w/ pit, especially smashville. It benefits MK more so than pit. Know your stages. Norfair would probably work well, but its banned here so idk. drop through floors (delfino, halberd) seem to help pit as well.
On that note restrict a good map. I generally go with pokemon stadium especially if its a neutral the ledges favor meta more then pit. Not being able to go under the map is annoying. Metaknights can stage spike you pretty easily there.

Also while I'm thinking about it don't expect to just be able to be able to simply go under the map and be safe. Metaknight can catch you using his glide and glide attack I learned this in a tourny match.

Rhyfelwyr

Smash Ace
I'll quote my guide. It still has some things not mentioned in this thread.
Don't try to edgeguard him, it doesn't matter since his light weight will get him KOd quickly. He's capable of gliding twice, and him attacking won't cost him any distance for his recovery. Take advantage of the situation by shooting as many arrows as possible.

The F-tilt and D-smash can co through Metaknight's Mach Tornado. You can also jump over him and use the D-air.

Metaknight's four KO moves are: F-smash, N-air, up-B, and D-smash.
- is F-smash is slow coming out, he'll only use it in tech chases.

- His N-air is like Jigglypuff's rest. He has to be at point blank for it to work. There's no way he can combo in to it. He'll use this is when you mistime an airdodge, or during edgeguarding.

- His up-B being his recovery move, means he's very vulnerable if missed. He can use it out of shield, but the the range in front of him isn't very far. If you're in the air, and he's coming after you from below, fast fall first and air dodge just when he's in range. If he does the up-B, he misses. If he doesn't do the up-B, your fast fall should get you out of range anyway.

- His D-smash is his easiest to land KO move, and it's also his weakest. He won't be able to KO you with it until over the 100% mark. F-tilt, and weaving in and out D-airs can avoid Metaknight's out of shield D-smash.

Out of shield smashes are your friends. Metaknight's biggest weakness would have to be his lack of shield knockback in all his attacks. There's enough lag after most of his aerials, tilts, and smashes for you to punish him with F-smash or U-smash.
The list teh_pwns_the was talking about is in my sig.

crownvick

Smash Apprentice
(baltimore) Ok Nobody Move And Nobody Gets Hurt U

i have beaten sage already. I said so far I have the best pit online. I know offline Some good pit players would proabley beat me. Alot of people cant play online so what can ya do. :laugh:

anyway back to the subject. Metaknight is a character for nn:laugh: newbies from what a few people told me and I believe it just because he is all around good and spammable. I have fought two really good metaknight players that dont spam. U just have to keep ur distance and dont side a smash 2 much. Use ur a combo

Top Bottom