• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

MK stage discussion number 2: Yoshi’s Island Brawl!

theunabletable

Smash Lord
I don’t really think there’ll be any more BF discussion, so I might as well make the new thread now and we’ll discuss YI.

Well talk about what MK can do here, what matchups this stage is good for, etc Hopefully we can get more discussion than the last thread :p

I’ll post some of the stuff I know later.

Kaffei

Smash Hero
I don't like this stage vs Snake. That stupid platform is in the way.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
It ain't that great of a stage, one reason is how it slopes and curves, and another main reason is, we can't glide under it if the moment called for it.

Exdeath

Smash Master
It ain't that great of a stage, one reason is how it slopes and curves, and another main reason is, we can't glide under it if the moment called for it.
If an anti-scrooging rule is in effect, this stage is a great alternative for stalling beneath the ledge. Meta Knight can still jump back a couple times, glide horizontally into the stage, and then slowly descend to maintain the glide. This should leave him with two jumps, and all of his recovery moves should be able to pass the ledge and land him on the stage.

Also, the curves/slopes are a double-edged sword; they have a similar use to that of Brinstar.

Player-4

See you in 25 years
If an anti-scrooging rule is in effect, this stage is a great alternative for stalling beneath the ledge. Meta Knight can still jump back a couple times, glide horizontally into the stage, and then slowly descend to maintain the glide. This should leave him with two jumps, and all of his recovery moves should be able to pass the ledge and land him on the stage.

Also, the curves/slopes are a double-edged sword; they have a similar use to that of Brinstar.
I wasn't implying scrooging, I just mean sometimes it's nice to have the option to go to the other side of the stage or sike your opponent out and go back. Just an option that's now gone. Not to mention the rare occasions that SL gets it's ledge take away then you can just go to the other side, on this stage you can't.

And yeah, I've really had the sloped edges work for me and against me.

Exdeath

Smash Master
I wasn't implying scrooging, I just mean sometimes it's nice to have the option to go to the other side of the stage or sike your opponent out and go back. Just an option that's now gone. Not to mention the rare occasions that SL gets it's ledge take away then you can just go to the other side, on this stage you can't.

And yeah, I've really had the sloped edges work for me and against me.
If you're spacing it like you would (and should) on stages that you can glide under, you can simply glide onto the stage normally because of the dip on the ledge.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
The sloped edges make it nice and easy for us to ledgehop -> airdodge -> buffer something, or just hold R and use shield if need be.

Small sides make killing half the cast at 60% a treat with Shuttle Loop.

Basically every character's recovery will be predictable because they don't want to get Dair'd or Shuttle Loop'd by you off the sides.

You probably won't be getting any upward kills here.

Yoshi's Island is NOT that bad against Snake. Use the platform to get away from explosions, and the small bottom kill zone makes it hard for Snake to use C4 recovery or drop too low and Cypher. He'll have to recover high.

swordgard

Smash Hero
The sloped edges make it nice and easy for us to ledgehop -> airdodge -> buffer something, or just hold R and use shield if need be.

Small sides make killing half the cast at 60% a treat with Shuttle Loop.

Basically every character's recovery will be predictable because they don't want to get Dair'd or Shuttle Loop'd by you off the sides.

You probably won't be getting any upward kills here.

Yoshi's Island is NOT that bad against Snake. Use the platform to get away from explosions, and the small bottom kill zone makes it hard for Snake to use C4 recovery or drop too low and Cypher. He'll have to recover high.

Its actually better than most stages vs snake.

Platform is too long to punish nado when used correctly.

Smash G 0 D

Leave Luck to Heaven
BRoomer
Plus his predictable recovery if he isn't high makes Dairs just TOO easy to kill him with.

Just something small worth noting - Snake can hold a grenade, run off a ledge, and throw it back on the stage. At YI, due to the slants/slopes of the floor, his nade can quickly settle on the ground without a bounce, giving Snake an advantage in that he knows where his grenade is going to go ahead of time. Just watch out for the nice little nade he'll set up to sit on the ground.

Dru2

Hail to the King
NNID
DruetheDruid
3DS FC
0189-9845-3398
Ugh, no scrooging on this stage >_<

I find this stage not a really good neutral stage for mk, but better than FD. It's really good for planking. And the high ceiling helps against Snake's Utilt, Oli's Usmash, etc.

However, there's just something about the ground, y'know how it's a bit uneven, that really just screws me over against Diddies. I do much worse here against Diddy's bananas. I seem to have trouble getting the bananas for myself here. However, I seem to last longer here against Diddies too.

Exdeath

Smash Master
Based on the proverbial water-cooler discussion at the tournaments that I have attended, most players dislike YI.

Rob_Gambino

Smash Lord
Platform can block falco's lasers, but you will never fight falco here so it doesn't matter. I also kill myself a lot when edgeguarding with shuttle loop below the ledge because I suck. Stage striking leads me here the most when I'm playing against Olimar. Platform can be nice sometimes for you to retreat your nados back to. Platform can suck for u-smashes/u-air combos. Small space makes it harder for olimar to camp you and easier to get him off the ledge. That cloud saves him a bunch here, so don't go taunting or running towards the other ledge when you think you have a gimp.

Staco

Smash Champion
Gimping is pretty hard on that stage.
Can´t do that shuttle loop thing, which brings me back on the stage.
The offstage zones doesnt seem to be that big.
The slimy eyebrow thingys can sometimes help your enemy recovering.

This stage for sure decreases MKs great offstage game.

Exdeath

Smash Master
This is one of the most subtly gimmicky stages in the game, especially for Meta Knight. You can use platform to bait your opponent very well, such as auto-canceling B when it doesn't look like you can, Up-B combos into glide attack, which combos into other things depending on how the platform is tilting, etc. If you learn this stage, you will have a counter pick that can be more effective than Brinstar, Rainbow Cruise, etc. or just an excellent neutral stage to play on.

Jem.

Smash Master
Dtilt becomes a pretty good edgeguard to steal a jump/keep them off then follow it up. This is a pretty good stage vs Diddy especially.

Top Bottom