• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mix-up thread!

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
As a pac-man main we all have our go to combos and so forth, to avoid being read, we need to really hit the lab and discover some crazy mix ups!

Post any noticeable ones below !

Ramserss

RAM
Slippi.gg
RAM#627
NNID
Entitylution
3DS FC
0602-6501-7653
As a pac-man main we all have our go to combos and so forth, to avoid being read, we need to really hit the lab and discover some crazy mix ups!

Post any noticeable ones below !
A good one that I have noticed is a short hop Dair or Fair to full hop hydrant then fall back and charge fruit. It works well for me but I'm still working on others in the lab.

I will post if I find more.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Alright awesome dude, a great mix up for me is run off of hydrant-> cross-up ->up air.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Dash attack -> full hop RAR Bair

Bair hydrant->Jab -> Run back and pivot grab when they try to roll around it

DITCIT Melon-> Grab-> Down throw -> Jab lock if between 30 and 60%

And many more!!

BSP

Smash Legend
@ P Phampy 's setup. It always works once.

With a Bell in hand:

Plant hydrant -> run off towards opponent -> throw bell up -> intentionally miss a pivot grab or taunt -> opponent tries to punish -> gushed bell out of nowhere stuns them -> Smash them for safety, run off and confirm a side B for style

Always works once.

The Usmash hydrant launch can catch people returning to the stage by surprise. If they dodge / attack it, hit their ending lag.

Last edited:

LanceStern

Smash Lord
BSP I'm LOVING that idea. I'll try it.

1. Dash attack opposite direction of opponent -> B reverse Key
(I can't tell you how many times this gets a KO. The closer you whiff a dash attack the more compelled they are to chase you)

2. Trampoline between you and opponent -> If opponent approaches REACT AND BAIR
(I also like to do this if they are on the ledge recovering. Most of the time when they recover from the ledge they MUST jump)

3. Empty hop to a shielding opponent -> Immediate trampoline before they shield grab

Phampy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Phampy
Haha I can't take credit for that bell setup @ BSP BSP

I saw some Japanese Pacman player use it once the night before my first Smash tournament and I started to incorporate it then. I actually ended up winning that one tournament with that exact same setup. The gimmicks too strong.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Ooo! Can't forget my trampoline ledge traps.

On BF: plant a trampoline on the ledge, jump to the nearest platform by the ledge and use Fsmash when the trampoline bounces them up.

Anywhere: plant trampoline on ledge and use Fsmash the second they try to get up. The bounce will hold them in place long enough for a punish.

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
AWESOME will use, i usually set the tramp and jab launch a hydrant.

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I was messing around last night with up-smash hydrant trajectories and found a fun little setup.

Do a hydrant in place -> fall off toward opponent while using bair into hydrant -> turnaround up-smash.

Time it such that your up-smash comes out just as the water shoots out of the side of the hydrant. If timed correctly, you should get a boost forward while your hydrant follows a long arcing forward trajectory.

Some potential outcomes:
  • Opponent doesn't shield, they get hit by you or the hydrant (or both).
  • If they grab you, the hydrant hits them out of the grab.
  • If they spot-dodge, you grab or b-reverse throw a fruit (I think melon is pretty effective against a spot-dodge)
  • If they shield, you can also grab, or my personal favorite (if you spaced it just right) use up+b to knock them into the hydrant's trajectory.
  • Or just keep it simple and use it as an edge-guard mix-up when they're offstage. The water boost brings you right to the ledge to prepare for whatever they try next.

Top Bottom