• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Miracle Of Light - Palutena in SSB4 (Featuring Cereza from Bayonetta-series)

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Speaking of Jab locks though, was talking to Dark Peach on Twitter. Apparently he found out that auto reticle causes a force stand on a hard knock down which allows for a free reset/grab situation.

Going to test it in a few.

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
Speaking of Jab locks though, was talking to Dark Peach on Twitter. Apparently he found out that auto reticle causes a force stand on a hard knock down which allows for a free reset/grab situation.

Going to test it in a few.
That sounds great. If we can manage to get a close joblock setup that allow us to land a grab or a smash, that would make landing kills much easier.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
So at what point can you say you've gotten good as a certain character?

I can comfortably take on level 8 CPUs at a consistent rate as Pit and Palutena. Not sure about human players, as I haven't had any notable matches since release day.

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
It works but I can't find any real way to set it up. It only really works if your opponent is bad and misses a tech and you're spot on.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
So at what point can you say you've gotten good as a certain character?

I can comfortably take on level 8 CPUs at a consistent rate as Pit and Palutena. Not sure about human players, as I haven't had any notable matches since release day.
i can beat most level 9 cpu characters with Palutena and for online i have a 17-8 (w-l and two games weren't finished) record when using her as of now..

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
im doing very well with palutena. my record is 18-2.
How are you approaching neutral situations, as well as when you're at disadvantage (People pressuring you)? I'm struggling with those two things. If I can get an offense going I can keep it but it's getting to that point that's the problem.

Punishing Cross Up Dash Attacks in particular is the worst as everything on the ground is far too slow and I feel like I either whiff the aerial or they recover before I can set it up So much time in the lab spent setting up kill shots, retreating Auto Reticles, Up Smash/Pivot Setups and the second you go into Wi-Fi, it all falls to pieces.

I feel like there's just one or two pieces I must be missing to finally get this character to work for me.

Last edited:

overgamer

Smash Ace
3DS FC
5026-4413-8581
For cross-up dash attacks, you can turnaround grab. It somehow takes much less time then you'd think it would, but you have to be sure the DA is cross-up, or you'll be in trouble. OOS of course.

I'm really happy palutena has a pretty good standing grab range.

To get out of pressure, I have quiet some succes with Dair OOS, especially on larger chars.
Always full hop for safety in case of miss. For smaller chars, well... use short hop.
Still a getho option, but it definitively is usable.

The only real problem I really hate, is that the rage effect completely destroy Dthow to Uair kills at high %.
So I try to do 50/50 into Uair / baiting airdodge.

Last edited:

Hong

The Strongest
Can't wait until we have Gamecube controllers again. ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
I just lost 5 times in a row to a captain falcon player, 2-stocked (for glory) each time. IT WAS SO FRUSTRATING. C. Falcon and Little Mac are definitely hard matchups

Glaciacott

Smash Lord
I'm so happy, my Palutena is at the point where I play other characters to bring them up to speed, then pick her to close the night and she feels completely natural to use like I've been playing this game for longer than five days.

Not sure how I'd do in actual competition, pretty badly probably, but still it's a good feel.

Last edited:

Lemonitis

Smash Rookie
I don't think I've lost against a Little Mac yet with Palutena. I mean sure, I get my ass kicked by him, but I always get the kill before him. Easy thing to do is wait till he comes to you near a corner, grab him and throw back, jump nair then tiltA him as soon as you land if he tries to SideB back to the field. It gets the kills occasionally very early game. To dodge that, Mac would have to either counter or fall then up B to the ledge.

Another thing, I ALWAYS forget that she have a counter. Can't say why..

Last edited:

Zef

Smash Ace
help me out, i'm a super aggressive player trying to adjust to palutena's playstyle but i just can't...lol any bnb combos or tips?

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
help me out, i'm a super aggressive player trying to adjust to palutena's playstyle but i just can't...lol any bnb combos or tips?
I'm aggressive with Palutena. Super speed is a good move to rush down on the opponent. It can combo into up-smash and kill at high percents depending on DI. SS to nair works quite well too. D-grab combos are good. D-grab>f-air works you can even D-grab>f-air>f-air>jab>d-grab and back to the beginning again or up smash. Its possible to escape but it depends if they jump or not. Lightweight is excellent for chasing high percent opponents off stage. d-grab to u-air combos and kills most at around 120 I believe. f-tilt eats up rollers. u-tilt eats up an over-head approach. her tilts are a bit laggy though. Her jab is quick. Jab>grab works. D-air spikes.

Last edited:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
Found a strange Palutena glitch.

1. Have opponent over 40% and near the edge of the stage.
2. Jump Glide into Fair.
3. Land, Jab, then Grab and Down Throw the opponent.
4. Chase off stage with Down Air to spike.
5. Realize you don't have a midair jump despite only having jumped once.

Anyone want to chime in on what's going on here?

Edit: Now with a video

Edit 2: NinjaLink seems to think I'm not actually on the stage and considered airborne. Best guess so far ...?

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
How are you approaching neutral situations, as well as when you're at disadvantage (People pressuring you)? I'm struggling with those two things. If I can get an offense going I can keep it but it's getting to that point that's the problem.

Punishing Cross Up Dash Attacks in particular is the worst as everything on the ground is far too slow and I feel like I either whiff the aerial or they recover before I can set it up So much time in the lab spent setting up kill shots, retreating Auto Reticles, Up Smash/Pivot Setups and the second you go into Wi-Fi, it all falls to pieces.

I feel like there's just one or two pieces I must be missing to finally get this character to work for me.
My approach is just using autoredicle to force my opponents to come to me. My goal is to get them to come to me so I can punish their whiffed grabs and blocked dash attacks. When you're being pressured you have a few tools. If you are in the air use Nair to cover both sides or counter, then you have her fair which is very use full to push your opponent away, and you also have teleport. Choose and pick your spots in which you can use teleport. Its a quick way to get out.

She'll be much easier to play with a c stick because then you can use her fair a little more. A side from that, your main goal is to use autoredicle to get your opponent to come to you. They don't want their shield to be diminished and to take too much damage.

Utena

Smash Apprentice
NNID
yurigod
Zone with neutral B, force approaches with that and Reflect
get really really good at powershielding. shield drop or shield drab and punish.

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
Zone with neutral B, force approaches with that and Reflect
get really really good at powershielding. shield drop or shield drab and punish.
that right there is what I do and it does real well for palutena. btw if anyone wants to watch im about to do a 1v1 on stream possibly after this current match. http://www.twitch.tv/keyurai

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Dat tree reflect. Got in the stream when that magic happened.
It's the best feeling doing that. I also KO'd a Rosaluma who charged up the Luma attack. That was funny too.

I was talking to one of the assistants of my track team, and he said he doesn't like Palutena's play style. I hope I get a chance to play him soon.

Beastmegs

Smash Cadet
NNID
Beastmegs
3DS FC
3325-1862-3482
I must say Palutena despite being hard too use its very rewarding once i actually get a win with
She needs lots of hard work and determination i'm happy with that she didn't end up being my main but time could change that
she is still my 3rd most use character i also bring you some Cute fan art by YuYuKong

Admiral Pit

Smash Hero
NNID
GoldAngelPit
3DS FC
0903-2895-3694
Yep. Palutena's quite the complicated character, probably not as complicated as Rosalina and Robin, but as with any character, she'll be a great threat to others, and that's my aim to make her a threat, so maybe some ppl I know who keep saying she's bad will respect her.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Couple of Palutena pics on Dark Pit's page on the site:

This game still looks as beautiful as ever and Palutena is still magnificent.

Fluttershy

Element of Kindness
NNID
ArrowofLight
3DS FC
5172-1450-4569
also i found a glitch (or something) when Palutena warps close to a 0 degree angle while trying to go onto the stage she will go up after hitting the edge of the stage instead of going in the correct direction (i have a replay but I'd have to send it through file sharing site if it still works the same as it was in brawl. i won't be able to share it until I'm at home as the computers at my college don't have sd card slots)

Last edited:

AozoraX

Smash Apprentice
Any general tips for Smash 4 Palutena players? Specifically a Melee player coming into the game? I can't seem to really handle the airdodging. Maybe I'm just bad.

Also, the Sheik and Rosalina matchups by default are SOOOOOOOOOOOOO brutal.
Any general tips? They just have moves that clearly outclass Palutena...

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
so im currently in the lab testing things and this might have already been found but hey i'll share.
So if you do down throw into forward air you can either fast fall from it to go to another throw or chase your opponent if they jump up with up smash. If you go for a simple regrab I believe it adds up to 24 percent. Dthrow to fair combos on DK until 70 percent.

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
Wow, the Wii U version is looking better and better by the day! Glad to see our gorgeous goddess getting her moments in the spotlight~

Dark Pit looks great, too. I'll be interested in geting some good match-ups with those two on the Wii U version when the game is released~

Last edited:

Nabbitnator

Smash Ace
NNID
Nabbitz
I've been working hard with palutena. By herself she is 25 and 7 and Dark pit is 7 and 6 for a win loss rate. Hopefully robin will be ready soon so I have my 5 characters set for this iteration.

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
I just did an analysis on Palutena's moveset in Aerodrome's thread. Feel free to chime in with your opinions and how you use the moves. :) I feel there's a general lack of organized moveset discussion going on in the Palutena board when compared to other boards so I tried to give the discussion a bit of a shove in that thread, as it's already stickied. :drshrug:

TsuKiyoMe

Smash Journeyman
I just did an analysis on Palutena's moveset in Aerodrome's thread. Feel free to chime in with your opinions and how you use the moves. :) I feel there's a general lack of organized moveset discussion going on in the Palutena board when compared to other boards so I tried to give the discussion a bit of a shove in that thread, as it's already stickied. :drshrug:
Will check it out now. Thanks.

Maraphy

Smash Ace
NNID
Marraph
3DS FC
3780-9036-1349
Wow... so for Palutena/Zelda/Sheik you can just click their icon on the bottom screen to highlight them, and you'll see a REALLY OBVIOUS PATH when they use their Up-B's... i hope not too many people will find out about this... regardless, they can't do it on the Wii U : P

-Jax

Smash Apprentice
Wow... so for Palutena/Zelda/Sheik you can just click their icon on the bottom screen to highlight them, and you'll see a REALLY OBVIOUS PATH when they use their Up-B's... i hope not too many people will find out about this... regardless, they can't do it on the Wii U : P
Hahaha wow, that is a pretty good find, though I think the speed of the move as well as their nature won't change too much about them. Most players will already anticipate where the opponent will up-b towards, and if they don't the move is fast enough they won't be able to respond fast enough unless you're up-b'ing to unsafe places. Shouldn't be too major..

I wonder how tapping the portraits behaves with assist trophies that turn the whole screen dark (can't remember which one it was exactly, skull kid?)

mimgrim

Smash Hero
So all Specials for all characters are JCable out of the dash animation, skid animation, and shield. Basically, you can do any kinda of Special OoS thanks to this.

Just though I'd share that as it has made think a lot better of Celestial Firework for Palutena.

Top Bottom