• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mini WWYP 3 -- The (not so) Human Element

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
Not yet

Can't really think of what to write

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
Abra abra cadabra. I wanna reach out and grab ya!
Not yet

Same here. Seems a lot of people are in the same boat:)

I've got two ideas that I could write about, but they just don't seem that interesting to me. I'm really trying to think of something original for this, but all that seems to enter my head are cliches.

I'm not gonna give up though. I just hope I think of something soon:laugh:

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
I'm stuck around 1,000 words right now. I've got the beginning and ending, now I just need a middle, aka a story.

Handorin

Smash Hero
I have a few ideas floating around my head, but Ive been so busy I havn't had time to write yet. XD

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
I'm in exactly the same situation.
Same here. Seems a lot of people are in the same boat
sad panda.

Look around your home or office and look at the objects around you. Where are they placed? What kind of personality would that object have...? What do they do? Is that a pleasant job? Why do you need to do that job?

I really hope you all find an idea and run with it. I'm looking forward to judging.

Scav

Tires don Exits
BRoomer
Or, you can abandon the idea of an anthropomorphized nonsentient character conceit entirely, and go for tried and true excitment-inducing ideas such as: Artificial Intelligence, Vampires, Rabbits, Farm Animals, Aliens, Whales Falling From the Sky.

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
Scav - How many times have we said it: NO DOUGLAS ADAMS REFERENCES! >:^(

Everyone else - Sorry for the inconvenience :)

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
sad panda.

Look around your home or office and look at the objects around you. Where are they placed? What kind of personality would that object have...? What do they do? Is that a pleasant job? Why do you need to do that job?

I really hope you all find an idea and run with it. I'm looking forward to judging.
Yeah, but then you might end up with a story so corny that it wouldn't even end up on Nick Jr. The concept of a random object just observing life or complaining about their life has been done so many times.

No offense to anyone who is writing a story like that. I'm sure your's will be awesome!:)

Blackadder

Smash Master
Or, you can abandon the idea of an anthropomorphized nonsentient character conceit entirely, and go for tried and true excitment-inducing ideas such as: Artificial Intelligence, Vampires, Rabbits, Farm Animals, Aliens, Whales Falling From the Sky.
You know, I was sitting there sitting "Wow, and American that likes a REAL book!" and then thought "I wonder if anyone else understands the Whales joke?"

Scav - How many times have we said it: NO DOUGLAS ADAMS REFERENCES! >:^(

Everyone else - Sorry for the inconvenience :)
It then became apparent people were all to aware of it. :laugh:

Yeah, but then you might end up with a story so corny that it wouldn't even end up on Nick Jr. The concept of a random object just observing life or complaining about their life has been done so many times.
I agree, and that's sadly all the I've been able to shoot through my mind.
What Tom said, and what you said after, however, have given me an indea!
Now, to the Black-mobile!
*Drives off to think of more story...ness*

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
I should clarify: I have plenty of ideas on what to write, I have no idea how to write them. I'm not going to do "This is a pencil, his name is John, he is a human in every way but in pencil form". So while I might be able to think of a good story that'd have the main character being a pencil, I'd rather do something better.

demoncaterpie

Smash Champion
I should clarify: I have plenty of ideas on what to write, I have no idea how to write them. I'm not going to do "This is a pencil, his name is John, he is a human in every way but in pencil form". So while I might be able to think of a good story that'd have the main character being a pencil, I'd rather do something better.
That's pretty much my problem. I can think of plenty of ideas involving dogs or clocks or rats or whatever, but I can't think of anything that would make them interesting.

I thought of something recently though, so I'll just write that. It might actually turn out alright:laugh:

Mr.Lombardi34

Smash Ace
Heeeeeeh, whats up guys? I thought about doing a story about a good ol' rock, but it seemed corny/unrealistic and boring. Meh, I think I'll go eat a cookie...I'm pretty buisy right now (doing nothing), I'm working on an unrelated story in school about a war at north pole....I'm much better with action (which doesn't take too much skill, but I do way better with it) than...uh, everything thats not action. I might just post it for the heck of it just so people can tell me what they thought....

But anyways, I'm watching the contest anyway and I've seen the two stories...meh,
Plasmawisps was pretty interseting but needed some more detalail (but was good anyway)...the other one...I didn't enjoy at all. Just afull
I'm not trying to be a hypocrite when my last one was so bad, but thats just my opinion...I don't think I'll enter this one, but I'll watch for another promt.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Is the 5,000 word limit set in stone, or is there some leeway? And if so, how much? I don't know, I think I'm going to end up way over 5,000 words :(

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Is the 5,000 word limit set in stone, or is there some leeway? And if so, how much? I don't know, I think I'm going to end up way over 5,000 words :(
The 5,000 word limit is set in stone, but the number of points to be deducted is up to the judge. Personally, I won't take off for word count as long as

1. The story is complete and without unnecessary wording. This means that if repetition is used in a productive manner (style, possibly emulating character emotion) then I wont punish you for it. Also, if you are over the word limit because of stimulating descriptions, I won't take off. But don't have an extremely wordy story and then not finish.

2. The word limit isn't completely ignored. 10,000 words is too much, but I wouldn't mind another 1,000. Its really writing an enjoyable story, not being a word nazi. :)

I can't speak for Virgilijus or any other judges, so don't expect them to stick to these guidelines. Also, for your information, the previous word limits for the Mini-WWYP's were 2,500 and 3,500.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
Thanks. I can live with point deductions. I was just worried about being DQ'd.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Rar. I am workingz11one!!

Hey guys.
I'm finally started up writing my story.

I've had the ideas sneaking around in my head for a bazillion years now, and have slowly been building up with this story in my head. I'm not sure if it'll be taken in or not, as I'm making it a fairly macabre tale focusing on pretty nasty subjects, though it is intended to be amusing . Here’s hoping Americans get it. :p

Not sure how long the writing will take, though.
I'm mainly posting this to try and get ya'll motivated! Come on guys! Let's make this competition real! Get in some more entries!

;)

Tom

Bulletproof Doublevoter
BRoomer
Friendly reminder!

There is only one week left until the contest deadline. I hope this gets you all off your lazy butts and you all finish what you have started... or what you have neglected to start!

And please do not wait until the (literally) last minute to create your topics. Complications may arise (your internet or power may go out) which could disqualify you for lateness, or you may not be able to format it right. Whatever the case, if you are going to wait until the deadline to submit, please be careful and submit during the day before it is due and not during the last hour.

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My rough draft is almost done, then I need to type it. Hopefully I'll have everything done by Thursday.

Blackadder

Smash Master
Heh, I've started mine down onto Word.

It's pretty hard. I keep getting severe writer's block. This could only happen now, when the contest is nearing its deadline. >_>

Virgilijus

Nonnulli Laskowski praestant
BRoomer
* Judges cannot enter the contest. (Sorry Virgilijus)
:(

I was going to write a story about a lobster contemplating life while waiting in the tank at a restaraunt...

And none of you better write about that to get on my good side! >:^(

Jam Stunna

Writer of Fortune
BRoomer
3DS FC
0447-6552-1484
My wife had the idea to write about a violin who's owner gets sick. The violin sits in its case, wondering what's up. Then the violin gets out of the case and starts playing for its owner, thusly discovering its purpose in life. I thought it was a great idea, but I didn't want to steal it from her.

plasmawisp6633

Smash Journeyman
I really wish more people had entered. This prompt has so much potential, ideas just flowed out of my head as soon as I saw it. O well...next prompt.

P.S. Nice Asuka sig. Tom, I like yours better than mine

Eor

Banned via Warnings
BRoomer
My idea was about a pen who was overjoyed at finishing what it thought was a great novel, though it finds out it was just lowly paperwork done by some company employee. It goes into a form of depression at the fact that he used half of his ink for something so meaningless. I didn't have anything else planned out, but it was going to eventually decide that it doesn't matter if it was just paperwork, he'd continue to believe it was a great novel. At the end, the pen is overjoyed at being used for another "novel", and is thrown away into a trashcan, landing on top of the first paperwork it did, and deciding that it was all right.

Then I realized that I had no idea how to write a story as a pen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom