• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

...Mind Games?

Xgamer245

Smash Cadet
I understand the basis of mind games...I think.... its to be unpredictable...right?
If so, then, how do I improve my mind games/mind tricks?
I just can't comprehend this subject at all... so I ask this question...
How do you do mind games/tricks with Toon Link?
I understand if I'm flamed or something...
I didn't find my answer searching.
If this thread needs to be locked then by all means, lock it.

Phoenix~Lament

Smash Ace
Essentially:

Trick your opponent into believing you will be doing a certain action, provoke them to take action, then punish.

Petewilcutyou

Smash Cadet
Switch up your game play styles. Pretend to be noob, but dont get hit, and after he other person is like "Wha?? What the hell is he doing" counter him. When I say noob, I mean to like jump off the egde, and make it look like your about to kill yourself, and run past the other person back and forth. trust me, it trips some people out to just randomly run at someone, but dont attack. well, theres more to that, but toy with it, and you should come up with some stuff -Pete

Kizzu-kun

Smash Journeyman
I understand the basis of mind games...I think.... its to be unpredictable...right?
Mind Games is a term for a junction of strategy, tactics and intelligence in order to pull out attacks. Its not exactly to be unpredictable.

You can learn strategy and tactics, but its efficiency depends completely of your intelligence.

Clink

Smash Cadet
Mind Games is a lot like what Kizzu here says. But it also can have a bit more depth and different meanings, in some cases and people. It all depends on how you plan attacks, execute them, use stages or items to lure an enemy to or away from you. It can be teasing your enemy or tricking them in many ways. Mind Gaming is really all about how you handle your character and your choices you make during a fight.

Not only that, it's also a great deal on being able to know your enemy! Do you know how that person/character plays? Do you notice a pattern in their game play? being able to read your opponent while a match is in progress is a major part to this. You also need to be aware that they are also thinkin and askin them selves the same questions. It varies on whom you're fighting against and how fast you can pick up their game play and counter it.

it's not like some karate or something that can be taught by some mentor. It's all about knowing yourself/character and the person/character you're against.

Supax

Smash Apprentice
Mind games is just out smarting your opponent, not being unpredictable... Being unpredictable obviously helps you because you won't be as easy to hit, but the basis of mind games is to just out think your opponent to force them to do what you want them to do.

darkshy

Smash Ace
A good way to learn mindgames is to watch videos of players better then you. This wy you can learn from a few of their moves and tactics and incorporrate it into your gameplay.

daniel-zaman

Smash Journeyman
midgame- think hard when you play dont just go blindly into ****. to be short and simple just dont be a dumb a$$ when you play.

another way to get good is to know exactly how to control your character know exactly how to make toon link do what you want him to, dont leave any room for errors.

TLMarth

Smash Ace
An example of a mindgame is this: You keep attacking with a projectile. The opponent always blocks it with reflector, bouncing it back at you. The next time, you throw the projectile over the opponent, who uses the reflector, but since there is no projectile bouncing back at you, you can proceed to attack him in his reflector lag.

Another example is if you always use your get-up attack, and the opponent blocks then grabs you. Instead you roll and hit him while he is grabbing the air.

Those are sucky examples, but you'll get the point (hopefully)

Crizthakidd

Smash Champion
midngames is like the essence of smash. its how you move, play and trick your opponents. watch how good players/pros have more/better mindgames.

supak

Smash Cadet
Make your opponent think you are going to do something, causing them to take appropriate action. However you switch off and do not do what your opponent thinks, and punish them for making their move. This is usually caused by just being original or by going off the trail of routine.

Example:

If I am Marth and my opponent is Ike. Every time I approach Ike, I go at him with a short hop Fair. This is the routine.

Time to play mind games. I short hop towards him when he is vulnerable, but still has time to put a shield up. So, he takes the only action he can, Ike puts up his shield in anticipation for an Fair block. This is where mindgames go in, instead of Fair I just fastfall in front of him and grab, throw him down and proceed to finish him.

Rhambo

Smash Apprentice
Mindgames are to make the enemy take action to counter a move they think you will be doing. However, you are just faking them out and will punish their mistake.

If you want to see some great mindgames, check out some advanced bowser players/videos. In brawl, I heard Bowser has great mindgame possibilities. Don't worry, I think mindgames come with time for everyone.

soresu

Smash Rookie
To me mindgames begin when you start remembering what you do, how your opponents react, and what your opponents do, and how you react. You'll know when your mindgaming consciously because it's a lot more tiring to think about what your opponent is about to do.

Supak's example is great. You remember that every time you approach with fair, it gets shielded. Therefore, fake an approach to draw a shield and then grab him.

Try watching replays of yourself and see where you get damaged. The results can be surprising. I remember when I first started back in melee, someone beat me with Marth's tipper THE ENTIRE TIME. I didn't notice while I was playing, but afterwards someone told me how ridiculous I looked. I would run up every single time, or jump towards him and get hit by a tipper every single time. This is not what you want to do haha.

Think about what actions you take, how many of them you've taken before, and the results. Switch it up if you're getting punished every time.

Top Bottom