• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

"Mind" and "Reaction" Training? Help

DarkRunner00

Smash Journeyman
Well, it seems to me.

Marth is very common sense based? The guides, I've seen don't have too many exploit on Marth, at least to change his metagame too much. Every thing, I read about Marth is so -- react and use common sense, right?

And so, since Marth isn't broken (IMO, like Snake per say) I feel like I make too many mistakes, trying to incorporate a well balanced strategy--an unpredicatble strategy...

Which runs to me to a corner where, I premeditate attacks and ultimately force strategies and epic fail them.

A few big mistakes I run to are:

Marth's Grab Game (Thanks, to Emblem Lord, it had helped me look at a few good follow ups)
Marth's spacing
Marth's over lag, Punishable by Shield

And, though I've run playing Snake more and more, I wanted to be a dedicated Marth. (I win more with Snake in my casual circles. I even lose to Sheik as Marth, haha and I know Marth > Sheik)

Anyway,

It there a way to learn to time, react to attacks or Air Dodges and such...

For instance, Marth's Grab game is purely reaction. Fmash from Dthrow, Fthrow, Grab release. But it's situational to % and Air dodging and weight of opponent. And usually I fail to react to the correct follow up (because as I mention early, I've made a bad habit of premeditatedly execute one)

Also Sheild Grab, How do I learn it's reach and timing, out of an attack
And then goes perfect sheilding...

I seem to Fair, Double Fair, DB Fair approach... and which ever... I get shield grabbed or shielded and punished...

A few other things...

Are Chain Grab escapes?
How do you properly DI for Marth (Since I've seen him survive at 180% to 200%'s
Spacing techniques? (aside from grabbing, or rote positioning)
Does Fair, some how help stun lag? (I see people Fair, when knocked back)
There's a few more, I can't think of ATM

Anyway, I see good Marth's playing slow. Combo a little, but walk and slowly pace themselves... When I attempt to pace myself and slow down... everything just blows up and epic Fail...

Are there methods or little rote things to remember when to use which manuever?

Steel

Where's my Jameson?
BRoomer
A lot of what you are talking about basically comes from experience.

There are many follow ups for grabs.
You can tech chase, you can fair, you can dancing blade, among other things.

If you are constantly getting shield grabbed then you are spacing poorly. Don't just fair the shield then land, fair so the tip hits them and then DI backwards. Again, spacing really just comes from experience.

You also mentioned Marth's lag on his attacks. I'm guessing you mean his smashes, since they aren't safe at all on block. Best advice I can give you here is to just not spam his smashes. If marth spams smashes, he will get punished easily. Throw them out there when you KNOW they will hit.

Sounds like you are just lacking experience if you are trying to premeditate things.

Shaya

「chase you」 
BRoomer
NNID
ShayaJP
Learning reactions can be done against level 9 CPUs to be honest.

I find that many of the CPUs are broken when it comes to their abilities to perfect shield and dodge. Some CPUs will even be quite good at punishing your mistakes. The downside is if you put them in one position, unlike a human, they won't know how to get out of it.

My general training is vsing level 9 CPUs, pretty much the same way people recommend to vs level 3 CPUs (all about leaving you without damage). Then I go vs a person for an extended period of time and try and incorporate things (the average human won't be so annoying with their shielding/evading, but will be more punishing everywhere else). Then after al that I go back to the CPUs and can see the humongous improvement in ones game all around.

tl;dr - Level 9 CPUs and Humans are equally good for getting experience.

Retroking2000

Smash Master
haha nice avatar ^ .

hmm how i got good reactions is that i played a lightning brawl . and now i can footstool spike anytime 2 good X) .

also just take your time when playing space attacks / to not get punished . relax marth is a character that has to be played gracefully (haha read it in the dojo) ,

most of the stuff you mention goes through experience really .

sorry for the crappy respone tired . X)

Top Bottom