• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Milesg2g's Guide to PKT

milesg2g

Smash Champion
MilesG2G's Guide to PKT​
The guide to help you use and abuse your PK Thunder
http://allisbrawl.com/blogpost.aspx?id=104279

Index:
1. Pros
2. Cons
3. Frame Data
4. Ground Game
5. Air Game
6. Offstage
7. On Platforms
8. Levels

Introduction:

Hey everyone it's Milesg2g here with a hopefully helpful guide on Ness' PK Thunder [PKT]. This the first guide I've ever made so be nice haha. Whatever changes that need to be made I'll consider and more than likely change. So hope you enjoy it and yeah thanks for reading!

Pros:

• Juggling
  • Gimping
  • Mind games
  • Save a teammate
  • Can Heal [For Lucas or Ness teammate]
  • Can Stage Spike
  • PKT2

Cons:

• Bad start up
  • Bad ending
  • Hard to Control
  • Slow in general
  • Can be interrupted
  • Can kill you
  • Easy to Gimp

Frame Data

Need info

Ground Game

Anyone that plays Ness knows that his game play is mainly aerials. Ness' ground game is horrible and leaves him wither little to no options against many characters. The only time you should consider using PKT when on the ground follow:

When opponent is above you: This is actually the smartest time to use PKT; If you're fighting an opponent that gets juggled easily it's good to use PKT while they're in the air and make returning to the ground a lot harder. Jumping at your opponent and hitting them with a aerial is the typical Ness approach because of his air game. However, racking up a good 8-21% before doing so wouldn't hurt. When using PKT against opponents in the air don't just fire PKT directly at them and expect them to get hit. Aim your PKT at them and create a wall of energy with your PKT and it's tail. Many players airdodge straight through a direct PKT making you have to turn it around and catch them with it. It's smarter to simply aim the PKT and turn it in such a way that the tail still lingers while they try to air dodge your attack and then hit them with the head to send them in another direction. If you're opponent goes upward after a direct PKT hit distance yourself and try to repeat the process. Don't repeat if you feel like the opponent is nearing the ground to counter attack.

When opponent is off the stage: If you're opponent is off the stage it's important to take control of the middle of the stage. From there you can fire a PKT's at them making their return more difficult. Again don't fire your PKT directly at them. Try to create a wall with PKT racking up more damage than usually to delay their recovery. The tail of PKT can be very useful in gimping your opponent in recovery situations. If your opponent gets hit by the PKT's tail while jumping, their jump will be wasted and have to immediately use another jump or recover.

When opponent is under the stage: If you're opponent is under the stage you can spike them with the head of PKT depending how high their health is. Going for the spike isn't the smartest idea though. Using the PKT to manipulate the opponents recovery to the best of your ability is the key.

When opponent is returning to the stage: This is pretty much the same as off stage stuff. However, if they opponent is trying to immediately return to the stage you need to take as much action as possible. Camp the ledge with PKT from the middle of the stage to give more damage. Falco is a good example, if you Ftilt Falco at a high percent and know he's going to be returning with phantasm, launch a PKT in his direction but not far from the stage and aim the head of the PKT downwards to create a wall that he'll have to go through. If the Falco instantly phantasms he'll hit the wall and will have to either up be or wall jump to get the ledge.

When opponent is at least half the stage away from you: When facing an opponent without a projectile it's fine to PKT if you're more than half the stage away. PKT right in their face is a promising grab and can lead to anything. You don't want to be anywhere near a opponent when performing a PKT on the ground. The risk is too much and not very rewarding considering how little damage it does. If you're thinking of landing a PKT2 you had better be a stock and some percent above because if you miss it's pretty much done.

Air Game

Ness' PKT shouldn't be used in the air at all. The only good that's ever come out Ness' PKT being used in the air while above the stage is the lag cancel on the ending frames of PKT if he's elevated high enough. Because Ness has such horrid grab releases it's never smart to put yourself in a situation where your opponent can just power shield or hit the head of the PKT and then grab you. However, it's going to be used it should be used as followed:

If you're at a stage that support your landing Examples of this are stage like Brinstar, a stage transformation of any sort, or Norfair. That's all I can think of but you really shouldn't be using the move in the air. Not even to ledge camp because if you slip up it's upsetting.

If you have a teammate
This should be obvious. If your opponent is going to grab or punish you for using the PKT in the air you should definitely use it near your partner.

If you're trying to reach your opponent that's too high or far away
This can be the case if you're fighting an opponent that's standing on the opposite side of the stage and you need to jump to get your PKT to the other side of the stage. For instance, PS1 can separate opponents and you may need to jump to get the PKT farther. Or if you're fighting a opponent that lives for a very long time and is high in the air so you need to jump to hit them with PKT. Other than that you shouldn't be jumping and using PKT.

Offstage

Like many of you Ness mains know recovering quickly is crucial. There's a plethora of mistakes that can happen if you take too long to recover. However, a mix up of recovering can help. PKT shouldn't be used to plank. I know many of you have seen Great players like Shaky or FOW use PKT to keep opponents away and plank. I'm telling your right now that it's extremely risky. One slip of the thumb and you can easily fall down while still performing a PKT. PKT should only be used off stage to recover and that's it. If you truly want your Ness to be at it's best you'll play with the safest approaches, tactics, and uses of this move. If it's going to be abused it has to be done smartly.

Platforms

Platforms can prove to be very useful to Ness and PKT. However, using PKT on a platform pretty much still counts as a grounded PKT.

Uses of PKT on Platform: The main difference between PKT on platform and ground is the fact that PKT can go through platforms and hit Ness for PKT2 punishes. If you've camped your opponent enough to the point where they're looking for a safe return or attack on you from above the platform your standing on it's very effective if you punish their attack with PKT2. Even if you don't hit the opponent it's nice to use PKT to push you away from your opponent hitting the ground to run away and restart your position.

Stages

Like many of Ness' Counterpick stages Ness performs well with PKT. Stages that have proven to be effective with PKT.

Brinstar:

This stage is good for Ness in so many ways however ,the point of this guide is PKT. The top Platform of Brinstar is a extremely good for Ness. The ceiling of Brinstar isn't really high and vertical kills with PKT are possible. Not to mention the lava combo's the level has with PKT. If you catch someone slipping and getting hit by lava a PKT follow up is very effective. Another good use of lava is hiding PKT. If you're on the Top Platform, your opponent is above you,(Lets say MK for the sake of example) you have PKT out already it's very effective to rotate your PKT down near the lava and then aim it back up. It's creates the illusion that the PKT has hit the ground when it has in fact gone under lava and PKT2'd you from the bottom.

PS2?

I put a question mark here because I'm not sure how legal this stage is yet. I saw it at Pound V being used as well as MLG. Anyway, contrast to PS1, PS2 has a air transformation that you can completely abuse PKT with. If you manage to get your opponent above you, you can PKT your opponent for a great bit before the transformation ends and do crazy damage. The Ice transformation is useful as well. You can run away from opponents while sliding using PKT or catch your opponent with a PKT mind game while they're sliding on the stage.

Well that's all I have for stages and the guide right now. If you have anything to contribute I'd really appreciate it and will definitely add it to the Guide. I was going to add Match Ups and characters PKT has advantages on but I'm running out of time and I don't have the frame data right now. So please help me with that and yeah thanks see ya!

Neon Ness

Designated Procrastinator
Good so far.

It might be nice to add in some more advanced things at some point in time like shield scraping/piercing. Also some weird mechanics and quirks about PKT. Like, if you use PKT and hit the opponent from the left side, they'll go upward and left slightly, and when hit from the right they'll go slightly up and right. Not sure how that's even useful, but it might be helpful.

You can also use the C stick to very slightly alter the direction the bolt goes. If I recall though you can only influence the perpendicular direction.

You could probably write a whole book on PKT2 lol. Looking forward to seeing this guide develop in the future. I'd bet that PK Cross has a lot of good stuff too to work from.

milesg2g

Smash Champion
Yeah I agree. I do think Shield scraping and poking are good but completely situational at the same time lol.

Top Bottom