• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Smash 3DS [Mii Headgear] So this is a thing that can actually happen.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I had 100,000+ in gold when I got down to my last Mii hat remaining I needed to find (Santa Hat). So I decided to split my time between Trophy Rush and Target Blast in trying to get it. Once I got down to 70,000G, I basically went hardcore into Trophy Rush (using the DK ground slap method).

And I ran out of coins. I literally emptied out 100,000G and never got that Santa Hat. I spent all weekend, and my reward is nothing. Not to mention I've probably played close to 1000 sessions of Target Blast over the past few days and never got it there either. In fact, I've played around 200 sessions of Target Blast today alone and have not seen a SINGLE hat drop--not even dupes!

Just an FYI to those like me still looking for your last remaining Mii hat(s). You can totally spend hours and days and a truckton of money in Trophy Rush and still come out with nothing.

Happy collecting!

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
I find Classic farming and Smash Run farming way easier. If you can nail the custom move on the roulette easily, custom may be the better route. Good luck though!

Rew

Smash Journeyman
I find Classic farming and Smash Run farming way easier. If you can nail the custom move on the roulette easily, custom may be the better route. Good luck though!
I abhor Classic mode and can't stomach going through any more sessions of it (especially any at a decent difficulty given how super cheap the CPU can get).

And Smash Run is a no-go too, as I've nearly collected all Smash Run powers and don't want to add Prince's Crown (the challenge board prize for unlocking all powers) to the duplicate pool.

Raijinken

Smash Master
Randomness is exactly that. One thing I never tested was whether or not playing as Miis weighted the drop rate of hats/costumes, since they don't have specials to weight it towards.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
So I'm beginning to come to terms with the fact that this final hat will potentially take me WEEKS to obtain. It's already been a full week since I started grinding for it specifically. 100,000+ G in Trophy Rush and at least 1000 sessions of Target Blast later, I am no closer to getting that last hat than when I first took the game out of its case.

I'm older than most people on these boards and have been playing video games a LONG time. I've done crap tons of grinding in my time, throughout all sorts of games over the years. I've encountered some pretty ruthless RNGs as well. But this is categorically the worst I have ever seen in my life. No item has EVER taken me this long to grind, ever. The worst case prior to this one may have taken me a solid day or two of regular grinding. This one is a week and counting. It might be two weeks. It could conceivably be February before I get it.

And for the life of me, I can't understand WHY the development team would make this decision. I know it's just a dumb hat with absolutely zero effect on gameplay, and I fully realize you can use a hammer to knock off the dumb challenge. But why? Why would you make a game where the final hat drop rate is 0.001%? Like, what is the purpose, either for the player, the developer, or the game itself? Who benefits by such absurd rarity? I've tried to wrap my mind about it, but I just can't make sense of why the game makers made this feature like this.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
I don't think it's a ".0001% chance" but rather the fact that other mii hats and outfits are dropped in place of what you want. I'm sure you would have the hat by now if you could not get the same Mii headgear and outfits more than once.

Crazc

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RJB0077
3DS FC
2191-8077-5809
I had everything collected within two hours of having the game

Then again, I did use my Prosaves

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002
You want it, you have to do something for it

Golden Sun

Smash Ace
NNID
YOURMOMHASA@NNID
3DS FC
1693-3754-9548
Hmmm... what are Prosaves?
Powersave, you can do 999999999+ cash, all custom moves, all equipment, all Mii stuff, ETC, you can also use Powersave on other games like Pokémon ORAS and others, theres a list that says it on the webpage, but I recommend not using it and getting it the legit way.

Last edited:

Soul Train

Just laugh.
NNID
JSXian
Classic mode, 8.0 difficulty. Customs on, pick Charizard, give him Dragon Rush and max out Strength equipment. Spam throws, side B, and fire breath when they're offstage for easy kills.

Rock smash DESTROYS Master Hand + the other forms in 3-4 hits. You can do Classic in 5 mins, and you'll easily get >10 custom parts if you do it right.

Belgrim

Smash Apprentice
Classic mode, 8.0 difficulty. Customs on, pick Charizard, give him Dragon Rush and max out Strength equipment. Spam throws, side B, and fire breath when they're offstage for easy kills.

Rock smash DESTROYS Master Hand + the other forms in 3-4 hits. You can do Classic in 5 mins, and you'll easily get >10 custom parts if you do it right.
I've killed his forms in one hit before rofl.

Shulk + Power Vision (Counter custom special) + Decisive Monado Arts (Use buster art) + Critical hitter badge = Easy boss fight.

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301
I managed to get everything by sheer dint of not trying to get it.

You'd be surprised how simple it is to find something you're not actively seeking.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

Anyway, I had been putting off Smash Run because I have 2 powers left to get and didn't want to add the Prince's Crown to the pool of duplicates. But dang it, I'm just going to do Smash Run anyway. Maybe I'll get the final hat there, and maybe the game doesn't even unlock the final random hat drop until you've gotten all the other ones first. I'm getting sick of Target Blast. =P

You want it, you have to do something for it
Yeah, because grinding non-stop for over a week is not doing something for it. Have you actually read my posts in this thread? By now after all I've done, I've damn well earned that final hat.

Semopo

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
0688-6533-6002

Anyway, I had been putting off Smash Run because I have 2 powers left to get and didn't want to add the Prince's Crown to the pool of duplicates. But dang it, I'm just going to do Smash Run anyway. Maybe I'll get the final hat there, and maybe the game doesn't even unlock the final random hat drop until you've gotten all the other ones first. I'm getting sick of Target Blast. =P

Yeah, because grinding non-stop for over a week is not doing something for it. Have you actually read my posts in this thread? By now after all I've done, I've damn well earned that final hat.
That's not how grinding works

Rew

Smash Journeyman

ORRRRR... maybe not.

I've played 8 sessions of Smash Run in a row (as all 8 alts of Mega Man), and I've gotten not a damn thing. Not either of the 2 powers I need, and definitely not that godforsaken Santa Hat.

THIS SUCKS. I JUST WANT TO BE DONE WITH THIS GAME ALREADY!!!

Gyorg the Yossarian

Smash Cadet
"THIS SUCKS. I JUST WANT TO BE DONE WITH THIS GAME ALREADY!!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The game is self aware.
He wants you to stay with him, Rew.
He won't let you leave.
Run, Rew, if you know what's good for you.
Run before he takes your soul.
He will never give you the Santa Hat, because he would lose his toy.
Run.

Rew

Smash Journeyman
"THIS SUCKS. I JUST WANT TO BE DONE WITH THIS GAME ALREADY!!!"
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The game is self aware.
He wants you to stay with him, Rew.
He won't let you leave.
Run, Rew, if you know what's good for you.
Run before he takes your soul.
He will never give you the Santa Hat, because he would lose his toy.
Run.
It sort of feels that way at times. :p

Anyway, both Smash Run powers are got now, which I suppose only has the effect of adding the Prince's Crown to the drop pool.

But still, that blasted Santa Hat is literally the only thing I have left in the game to achieve. If I don't get it this week, I'm probably just going to hack it in via Powersave or something because it's just not worth it to keep grinding forever.

EDIT:
Nope, nevermind. Turns out the retail price for Powersaves is $40. Looks like I might literally never get this ****ing Santa Hat.

Last edited:

Rew

Smash Journeyman
OUR (read: my) NATIONAL NIGHTMARE IS OVER.

IMG_1644.JPG

So after gaining approximately 10,000G from my Smash Run sessions, I decided to empty all of it into a dozen or so runs of Trophy Rush. Once again, I failed to get the new hat. I did a run or two of Classic, still nothing. So I went back to my bread-and-butter of Target Blast, and that's where it finally dropped.

The way it happened was weird too. I had been using the Villager trick to get (somewhat) consistent Perfects. But on the most recent go, I accidentally hit the bomb to 28% instead of 25%, said "**** it" and just launched it with a Smash attack. It left a couple targets up top and three on the bottom for the second round--very unlikely I would get a Perfect this time around. On the second round, I hit it to 25%, then immediately used a fully charged FSmash, which took care of the top targets, and as it fell I idly thought, "There's an outside chance this could still get me a Perfect." The bomb fell onto the bomb block in such a way that all the targets were gone. It was one of my most unconventional perfect scores, and that was when I saw the most blessed words anyone can see this Christmas season: "Santa Hat."

So perhaps to the trick to obtaining super rare hats is to use unconventional methods? Who knows. All I know is I am DONE!

That is now all 3 challenge panels filled, all 685 trophies obtained, and 9 Golden Hammers still intact. =D

EDIT:
The pic is supposed to be the right way up, not sideways. But I guess at this point it's zero ****s given. :4villager:

Last edited:

Wintropy

Peace and love and all that jazzmatazz~! <3
NNID
Winterwhite
3DS FC
1461-6253-6301

View attachment 32107

So after gaining approximately 10,000G from my Smash Run sessions, I decided to empty all of it into a dozen or so runs of Trophy Rush. Once again, I failed to get the new hat. I did a run or two of Classic, still nothing. So I went back to my bread-and-butter of Target Blast, and that's where it finally dropped.

The way it happened was weird too. I had been using the Villager trick to get (somewhat) consistent Perfects. But on the most recent go, I accidentally hit the bomb to 28% instead of 25%, said "**** it" and just launched it with a Smash attack. It left a couple targets up top and three on the bottom for the second round--very unlikely I would get a Perfect this time around. On the second round, I hit it to 25%, then immediately used a fully charged FSmash, which took care of the top targets, and as it fell I idly thought, "There's an outside chance this could still get me a Perfect." The bomb fell onto the bomb block in such a way that all the targets were gone. It was one of my most unconventional perfect scores, and that was when I saw the most blessed words anyone can see this Christmas season: "Santa Hat."

So perhaps to the trick to obtaining super rare hats is to use unconventional methods? Who knows. All I know is I am DONE!
The dream is alive. GG, guys, GG.

No but seriously well done~ You've earned it, I should imagine!

Rew

Smash Journeyman
Thanks!

Checking over my stats, it appears I collected a grand total of 2,191 pieces of equipment over the course of the game before I obtained the final hat. It's definitely a long haul!

Rosso

Smash Rookie
NNID
Mourossonero

View attachment 32107

That is now all 3 challenge panels filled, all 685 trophies obtained, and 9 Golden Hammers still intact. =D

EDIT:
The pic is supposed to be the right way up, not sideways. But I guess at this point it's zero ****s given. :4villager:
This is an inspiration for learning determination

Top Bottom