• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Midnight Ops Mafia: Game Thread. Game Over!

fontisian

Smash Champion
I'll work under that for today, but only under the condition @Deadbananas gives me another donut if Im right again lol.

Correct me if I'm wrong, not that used to the role. But couldn't you failing to visit someone be excused also by the roleblocker?

Yeah, that's true, ****.

I mean, upside, if the roleblocker does that, then they're not hitting our other prs.

Humm, am I allowed to visit myself?

fontisian

Smash Champion
Bold statement, I like it, but why?

Are you viewing me based on ninjas bad defense of himself or my posts so far?
Bit of both, really.

It's more an accusation of "not town enough" than me just calling you scum. Most of the people in the game have been towny in one way or another, #DS wasn't and your catch-up was kind of meh, so.

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Ah Z. I have welcomed you to the replacement gang already, so you have now been promoted. Welcome to the your slot wasn't towny and your catch up was lackluster gang.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Ah Z. I have welcomed you to the replacement gang already, so you have now been promoted. Welcome to the your slot wasn't towny and your catch up was lackluster gang.
I actually liked your catch-up.

Mmm, soft agree on the Chaco thing, Xivii.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678

Yeah, that's true, ****.

I mean, upside, if the roleblocker does that, then they're not hitting our other prs.

Humm, am I allowed to visit myself?
This is actually very smart, as if you are roleblocked, voyeur would see that, essentially proving that you're town.

Unless you're the rolecop and this plan is just so many layers deep we're all getting totally played lmao :surprised:

fontisian

Smash Champion
Ok, so assuming I can target myself, I do that, Voyeur targets me and sees either 1. the visitor shot, confirming me, 2. the roleblocker on me, confirming that was wasted, though not confirming me outright or 3. nothing, if the the ninja modifier can be applied to the roleblocker shot, in which case I can be confirmed the next Night anyway, and both shots are wasted. I don't know if the ninja modifier works like that or if it's night kill only, I would appreciate clarification of that.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Bit of both, really.

It's more an accusation of "not town enough" than me just calling you scum. Most of the people in the game have been towny in one way or another, #DS wasn't and your catch-up was kind of meh, so.
Have you seen ninja’s plays in recent games?
That’s fair, I know it’s not the best catch up, I didn’t have much to say and I’m trying to gauge these new slots. And ninja really didn’t help so I can’t fault you there. I’ll be trying to form better thoughts when I have info.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Have you seen ninja’s plays in recent games?

That’s fair, I know it’s not the best catch up, I didn’t have much to say and I’m trying to gauge these new slots. And ninja really didn’t help so I can’t fault you there. I’ll be trying to form better thoughts when I have info.
Yes.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
I don't know if the ninja modifier works like that or if it's night kill only, I would appreciate clarification of that
I believe it was mentioned in the setup? I'll go look, I could be misremembering

Malakandra

Smash Lord
Alright, going with the assumption that Xivii and Fonti are town for today, or atleast are off the yeet pool, that leaves me with the people I'd yeet (when did yeet become a thing I love it)

Begrudgingly Somi, I really hope they get a replacement soon, because i'd hate to lynch someone right after they got in, and I want to see what they can do with the slot.

Jackrito, they are a low null, not really done anything townie, and had some pushes on Triss that we were arguing over but they never addressed my point which makes me feel they are avoiding it.

Maybe Z25, but I'd like to give his slot more time since he's actually here and talking. I don't think Ninja's slot was sus really, i think his inaction was not alignment indicative

Malakandra

Smash Lord
To be clear, I think your catch up was ok. Definitely a lot different than mine, more focused on your reactions and stances while reading through, where as I don't like that and prefer interacting with people. I'm just saying both of ours have been criticized now lol.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Reads:

Chaco - He's been playing a very strong game and has been working very hard to study every slot and check all the angles. Comfortable Town.

Xivii - I don't think that too much credit should be given to his claim. I think it's late enough in the day that it's possible scum!Xivii could have gambled that no chocolate claim was forthcoming, or known it was unlikely due to the ninja distribution. Then again, I kind of feel that his "look at all the townie stuff I'm doing" thing is something I could imagine Xivii doing in a role like chocolate Town. That said, unrelated to that, I think Xivii has been consistently moving the game forward and his reads feel much more fluid this game, which I think is less likely coming from mafia. Comfortable Town.

Darkpit54 - Feels so open and assured I have a really hard time believing that this ever comes from mafia on tone alone. Comfortable Town

Fontisian - I had fonti as Town before this, but I really doubt the visitor claim ever comes from mafia here. Comfortable Town.

Trisscar - I like the confidence and assertiveness he's displaying this game and tonally he feels very Town. His reads all seemed reasonable as well. Comfortable Town.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame - Although he doesn't post much, I've been consistently finding myself agreeing with a lot of his posting and his thoughts tend to be unique and insightful. Town lean.

NonSpecificGuy - Hasn't done a whole lot that his really stood out other than his push on me which feels OMGUSy, but not in a particularly scummy way. I can certainly see this as newbie Town overreacting to pressure. Town lean.

Raxxel/ Malakandra - Similar situation to Z25 in that I don't really like lynching someone when their slot has just been replaced. I have been impressed by Mala's catch up so far and their confusion about the daychat/nightchat thing feels genuine, though I've been burned by reading that as a townslip before. Xivii's point about Raxxel is plausible, but it's hard to evaluate concretely based on so little content. Nulltown.

You've played with Xivii a lot before, atleast he seemed to have seen you play a lot before. Is he correct in saying this is his normal town play style? And can you recall anytime he played like this as scum.
I've played with Xivii a handful of times before, and Xivii is more than capable of deliberately changing his playstyle to the point that I (post SS) no longer really trust my meta on him all that well. I've only played with him twice while he was scum that I can remember, and no, he didn't play like this, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't if he wanted to. Xivii is IMHO a poor lynch D1 basically every game as it's very difficult to evaluate him properly.

It seems like both your scum reads are on disengagement, what makes you think a member of scum team is more likely to be disengaged from the game rather than controlling it?
In this game, there's probably only two people who I believe are capable of being power mafia and attempting to control a game in the manner you describe, that being Xivii and BoomFrog. My experience is most mafia prefer to blend in rather than stand out.

BoomFrog - Been waffling on him a fair bit this game. He seems to be heavily tunneling a few slots, Xivii for reasons that I understand though don't necessarily agree with, on Frozen for reasons I don't, and I haven't really seen a lot beyond that from him. I kind of feel that Boom's confusion on Xivii is more somewhat more likely to come from Town, but I don't think it's completely outside his scumrange. Going to put him at nullscum.

Jackrito - Haven't really seen a lot out of Jack that has really impressed me. He doesn't seem very interested in developing his reads and also feels a lot more... ?abrasive? than in his Town play when he seemed very relaxed and fairly easy to read once we got out of the slow part of D1. His play here isn't really the same as Oasis, though I think this may have more to do with the fact that Jack felt he needed to power wolf a lot more to convince Wiisp he wasn't mafia. I think there's a decent chance he's mafia. Scum lean.

Somitomi - I feel like there's a decent chance he's scum based on what I've seen so far. I never really got the sense that he was seriously putting in an effort to develop reads, and I never had the sense that he was really overly concerned about it. Similar to Z/Mala that I'm not a huge fan of lynching if a replacement drops in, but with three replacements in the game and two of them in slots that are pretty scummy I don't really see a way around it. Scum lean.

3DSNinja / Z25 - 3DS gave us nothing to work with. My feeling is that he is somewhat unlikely to be mafia as I feel like his mafia buddies probably would have tried to encourage him to do more. I do think there's a decent chance he's traitor though. That said, regardless of whether it is bad play in principle, I hate lynching a slot that has just replaced in and would really rather give Z25 a day to see what he can do. Nullscum.

pedit

If your push was successful, a lynch on NSG when you had very little to go off of, you would look very bad and likely go next.
This comment feels very TMI to me though. May need to lynch this slot after all. Scum lean.

Town
LaserGuy
Chaco
Xivii
Darkpit
Fontisian
Trisscar
FrozenFlame
NSG
Mala
Jackrito
Somi
Z25
Scum

Vote Z25

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
I noticed in previous games he actually posted.
Yes but as you saw, he wasn’t great with posting too much and has been actively frustrated by the game, so that explains a lot of his actions here even though I really don’t agree with it and think it was pretty bad.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Yah but I feel his reasoning for not posting made sense from his perspective in this case.
What.

Why?

He said he didn't want to be yeeted, so he wouldn't post, but he wasn't yeeted in his last game, he was killed by a bounced mafia kill.

Yeet is a thing because mafia universe decided to phase "lynch" out, due to the racial connotations. There are other alternatives, yeet is just the one I'm using.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Reads:

Chaco - He's been playing a very strong game and has been working very hard to study every slot and check all the angles. Comfortable Town.

Xivii - I don't think that too much credit should be given to his claim. I think it's late enough in the day that it's possible scum!Xivii could have gambled that no chocolate claim was forthcoming, or known it was unlikely due to the ninja distribution. Then again, I kind of feel that his "look at all the townie stuff I'm doing" thing is something I could imagine Xivii doing in a role like chocolate Town. That said, unrelated to that, I think Xivii has been consistently moving the game forward and his reads feel much more fluid this game, which I think is less likely coming from mafia. Comfortable Town.

Darkpit54 - Feels so open and assured I have a really hard time believing that this ever comes from mafia on tone alone. Comfortable Town

Fontisian - I had fonti as Town before this, but I really doubt the visitor claim ever comes from mafia here. Comfortable Town.

Trisscar - I like the confidence and assertiveness he's displaying this game and tonally he feels very Town. His reads all seemed reasonable as well. Comfortable Town.

#HBC | FrozeηFlame - Although he doesn't post much, I've been consistently finding myself agreeing with a lot of his posting and his thoughts tend to be unique and insightful. Town lean.

NonSpecificGuy - Hasn't done a whole lot that his really stood out other than his push on me which feels OMGUSy, but not in a particularly scummy way. I can certainly see this as newbie Town overreacting to pressure. Town lean.

Raxxel/ Malakandra - Similar situation to Z25 in that I don't really like lynching someone when their slot has just been replaced. I have been impressed by Mala's catch up so far and their confusion about the daychat/nightchat thing feels genuine, though I've been burned by reading that as a townslip before. Xivii's point about Raxxel is plausible, but it's hard to evaluate concretely based on so little content. Nulltown.

I've played with Xivii a handful of times before, and Xivii is more than capable of deliberately changing his playstyle to the point that I (post SS) no longer really trust my meta on him all that well. I've only played with him twice while he was scum that I can remember, and no, he didn't play like this, but that doesn't mean that he couldn't if he wanted to. Xivii is IMHO a poor lynch D1 basically every game as it's very difficult to evaluate him properly.

In this game, there's probably only two people who I believe are capable of being power mafia and attempting to control a game in the manner you describe, that being Xivii and BoomFrog. My experience is most mafia prefer to blend in rather than stand out.

BoomFrog - Been waffling on him a fair bit this game. He seems to be heavily tunneling a few slots, Xivii for reasons that I understand though don't necessarily agree with, on Frozen for reasons I don't, and I haven't really seen a lot beyond that from him. I kind of feel that Boom's confusion on Xivii is more somewhat more likely to come from Town, but I don't think it's completely outside his scumrange. Going to put him at nullscum.

Jackrito - Haven't really seen a lot out of Jack that has really impressed me. He doesn't seem very interested in developing his reads and also feels a lot more... ?abrasive? than in his Town play when he seemed very relaxed and fairly easy to read once we got out of the slow part of D1. His play here isn't really the same as Oasis, though I think this may have more to do with the fact that Jack felt he needed to power wolf a lot more to convince Wiisp he wasn't mafia. I think there's a decent chance he's mafia. Scum lean.

Somitomi - I feel like there's a decent chance he's scum based on what I've seen so far. I never really got the sense that he was seriously putting in an effort to develop reads, and I never had the sense that he was really overly concerned about it. Similar to Z/Mala that I'm not a huge fan of lynching if a replacement drops in, but with three replacements in the game and two of them in slots that are pretty scummy I don't really see a way around it. Scum lean.

3DSNinja / Z25 - 3DS gave us nothing to work with. My feeling is that he is somewhat unlikely to be mafia as I feel like his mafia buddies probably would have tried to encourage him to do more. I do think there's a decent chance he's traitor though. That said, regardless of whether it is bad play in principle, I hate lynching a slot that has just replaced in and would really rather give Z25 a day to see what he can do. Nullscum.

pedit

This comment feels very TMI to me though. May need to lynch this slot after all. Scum lean.

Town
LaserGuy
Chaco
Xivii
Darkpit
Fontisian
Trisscar
FrozenFlame
NSG
Mala
Jackrito
Somi
Z25
Scum

Vote Z25
How is this tmi when my post is literally about how I believe NSG is town and if he was town and lynched, Zen would look bad?

Your really stretching logic here as is zen because of literally one word( which was hypothetically) not in that singular post.

Meanwhile that post chain gives the very obvious message of what I was saying.

fontisian

Smash Champion
Yes but as you saw, he wasn’t great with posting too much and has been actively frustrated by the game, so that explains a lot of his actions here even though I really don’t agree with it and think it was pretty bad.
You're not going to convince me with this line of argument. I say this not to be mean, but to just to let you know that your time of this won't be productive.

My angle-shooting read is that Laser and Trisscar can't both be scum, because he keeps calling her "he."

Vote Z25

This is a weakening scumread on Laser thing, not a strengthening scumread on Z.

Darkpit54

Smash Ace
NNID
Robopenguin55
3DS FC
4699-6685-3678
Good night all! Posting to say I probably won't be on much tomorrow due to the holiday, but I'll try to catch up late tomorrow night.

As things stand, I think I agree with a Jack or Somi yeet

fontisian

Smash Champion
Z, since you think you're a weaker scum player, do you think you're out of your scum range here? Why or why not?

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
Actually it’s super interesting that Laser voted NSG right away and now is taking issue with me thinking he could be town.

Z25

Pokemon Illusionist
NNID
Zoroarkrules571
3DS FC
0533-5240-0946
You're not going to convince me with this line of argument. I say this not to be mean, but to just to let you know that your time of this won't be productive.

My angle-shooting read is that Laser and Trisscar can't both be scum, because he keeps calling her "he."

Vote Z25

This is a weakening scumread on Laser thing, not a strengthening scumread on Z.
what do triss or laser have anything to do with me? And why is a weakling read making you vote for me? That just makes no sense if you don’t take issue with me.

Say what you want about the Ninja play, but it adds up and it’s literally why he left. Ninja doesn’t understand that he isn’t lynched because he posts, he was lynched because he made a lot of mistakes like mixing info up or just straight up not contributing to the games he was in.
Z, since you think you're a weaker scum player, do you think you're out of your scum range here? Why or why not?
I wouldn’t say I’m a weaker scum player.

Am I best? No, I’ve only been scum 3 times, but I’ve played enough town games to have a good grasp on what makes good scum. My
Plays as scum are flawless but if any mistake I could make, it definitely wouldn’t be me tmi someone. But that’s not something I could prove as factual even though it is. Regardless I still stand my case so far.

fontisian

Smash Champion
I voted for you because I didn't want my vote to be on Laser. Now, I don't want my vote to be on you, so I'm going to do this:

Vote: Somi

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Night DP

Looks like we are in a power wolf scenario after all. Boom or/and Frozen most likely. Neap please follow my direction and choose between those two. If Fonti can't self target, then she she also go there as should Voy.

LaserGuy

Smash Ace
Scum Zen doesn’t push the very obvious newbie NSG when he knows NSG is new.
I think if both Zen and NSG were mafia this could be a thing. I did something similar in my second game as mafia where I was scum with a very experienced and crafty player. Both of my scummates jumped on me early D1 but then coached me on how to diffuse the situation and left all of us in very good shape.

Actually it’s super interesting that Laser voted NSG right away and now is taking issue with me thinking he could be town.
Why do you find it surprising that over the course of a week with a huge amount of additional game content my read on NSG would change? I never had him at more than scum lean. My read on Ranmaru last game went from top scum to strong Town in the span of an hour. Likewise, I voted Chaco on page 2 shortly after I voted NSG, and he is now my top Town this game. This feels like you're just throwing shade.

My point is that your content and push on Laser were a lot stronger and looked more certain and more effort here, something you pointed out. And you dropped the push for not a great reason. This is contrary to the Exlight situation you referred me too. I feel this is odd progression, and that is not.
If I understand Xivii's reasoning, it isn't so much that his case on me was particularly strong, but that his meta on me is that I respond poorly to pressure as mafia and if I were scum, he would have been able to pick up.

Also, hi, Z25, nice work on catching up, it's good to play with you, I'll most likely kill you in the morning.
Nothing to say about this other than it also made me laugh.

Z is actually town. Won't lynch there.
Can you explain?

Xivii

caterpillar feet
NNID
HBC
Can you explain?
He's playing in a way that isn't meant to appease people and look good, instead he is focusing on analyzing and making points. His reaction to the scumreads on his as the appropriate amount of defensiveness, not over the top and not optic oriented. His line here is also genuine:
Say what you want about the Ninja play, but it adds up and it’s literally why he left.

Top Bottom