• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Middle GA LOI: Brawl: March 22nd

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Northside High School
Tabor Building
Warner Robins, GA
(time pending, most likely 11:00am or 12:00 noon)
$10 entry
$100 worth of cash prizes minimum... more people=more prizes

OBVIOUSLY due to the fact that Brawl hasn't come out yet, and there are many updates to be made on the game, the rules will develop as we get more information on the game. I personally will be at Gamestop (most likely waiting for them to open) on the morning of Brawl's release and I will also be using a strategy guide to unlock everything I possibly can before the tournament starts so everyone can get the full experience of the game.

I would also like to apologize to those who came to our last tourny because Mr. Masters(teacher) was a bit greedy with the money and didn't give a reasonable prize. We gave $25 in prizes for Smash and kept $100(this includes Yu-Gi-Oh and Halo 3) because we are trying to make profit. I wanna thank Tbag and FullMetal for all the help there, and this time I'm doing all I can to promise a minimum of $100 worth cash prizes(next LOI meeting should confirm the cash prize) because I personally don't care if we lose money over this tournament, I want everyone to enjoy themselves and have enough money to pay for their gas next time.

Rules (Shouldnt be changed, carried from Melee)
* Double Elimination
* Advanced Slob Picks
* Stage Slashing
* 4 Stock per fight
* 8 Minutes per fight

Items
* Smash Ball will remain ON
- This is very subject to change, and will be if we find any Final Smashes to be broken or not viable for competitive play.
* Other items will be turned off

Stages (this is our biggest problem)
* We cannot promise anything about this because we haven't played the stages (input from E for All anyone?).
* Norfair will obviously be banned because the level is more troublesome than half the opponents you would be facing in the tournament.

NOTES
* First of all, this will be a huge leap of faith because I can't promise I'll have everything unlocked do to the fact that im in high school and i planned the tourny to take place a week after Brawl's release (i hope its not delayed again). I will do my best so wish me luck.
* I am VERY open to suggestions, but due to my lack of computer access Ill have to leave SpeedAce in charge of the thread and he can relay any suggestions and questions to me.
* Regarding the above statement, please dont suggest against Final Smashes yet. Me, SpeedAce, and my cousin Scott will personally test each one to see whether or not they are broken.
* I am putting this tournament together, taking part in setting up the rules, but I won't be in charge on the day of the tourny. I chose to step down so I could actually play because i didnt get a chance to last time and that agitated me to no end.
* Thanks to Gerbil pointing this out, but since you can save your login information onto your Wiimote you should definately bring it to the tourny for quicker logins. Its not required but it makes things easier.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
If the rest of Columbus decides to go, I'll sure as hell go. Even though it IS kinda early, tournaments with new stuff are always fun. Again though, I'm only goin if the others decide to lol.

The rules look "fine" for us not knowing how things will run. I guess I kind of expected them to keep the general Melee style. I'll make a suggestion and say keep an 8 minute time limit turned on. This is due to the fact that as of right now we know chars in Brawl are diing at a higher % and it's a bit tougher to kill (things like auto sweetspot are making it harder for edge guards) A time limit would ensure this tournament doesn't extend uber long. (Actually, that's why we have time limits in Melee, but over the years we've discovered the average match is 3-4 minutes long) This is Brawl though, so let's leave it at 8 again.

Unless anyone else has a different suggestion?

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
well i certainly hope you all do.
Also forgot to mention the videos of the last 2 rounds of our previous tourny will take time because we're adding music to it(too much talking muffles the game itself so music would be better in our opinions)
I understand its early, which is the point. This way the nOObs are on a more level field due to some advance techs being taken away, and room to find new ones.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
I definitely like the suggestion about limiting matches to 8 minutes. As Gerbil stated, DI, sweetspot, and percentage needed to kill have been significantly changed making it generally harder to kill.

Although I think it's difficult at this point to really make any suggestions for the tourny considering we know so little about Brawl's gameplay. I think we should wait before making any drastic changes, however this thread will stay open so that others who wish to attend can be informed.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Naturally... Added the time limit.
Happy late new year.
Would you say that i should focus on unlocking characters first (before stages) just in case i cant unlock everything within the 6 days? Just want a second opinion (Sonic is being unlocked 1st if possible).

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
Well...ill be going...considering that I live right down the road from Horthside High School...and I AM your cousin Kyd...so...you wouldnt leave me a choice anyway.

o...and to add to the whole time limit issue...i think, kyd, we should wait until we start the unlocking process to decide that. it will give us a general idea of the mechanics in the game. other then that though...i think basic melee rules will stay the same even officially. what say you, speed?

(and yes speedace, this is Scott)

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
Well, I do know one thing metroid...Kyd is trying like hell to make a $100 prize for the winner...it all depnds on mr masters...but i think kyd can talk him into it

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
o...and to add to the whole time limit issue...i think, kyd, we should wait until we start the unlocking process to decide that. it will give us a general idea of the mechanics in the game. other then that though...i think basic melee rules will stay the same even officially. what say you, speed?

(and yes speedace, this is Scott)
I agree. We will most likely be changing things around during the first week of testing. I'll have it on release, so I'll be experimenting too.

ScottSadistic

Smash Journeyman
Good...then you will kno what it will be like...

itll be nice to have some practice ifirst, to...good shot at a million...new mechanics, and new things to discover...like kyd said. plus, we will have a good chance...we got the game during that week. and me and kyd will be workin really hard to unlock things. he is leavin it here for me to unlock things while he is at school...hell , iwould not have nething better to do

but...

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Sunday actually.
Testing the mechanics isn't exactly my concern. The main mechanic that im worried about is Final Smashes. I want them to be usable in the tournament.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
i already knew that, im just trying to make it where winners and runner ups could at least pay their gas when they need to drive home. Mr Masters was too greedy and I'm not going to let that happen again, 20 when our tourny alone maid over 50% of the profits is outrageous to me. Im willing to say expect at least $100 in cash prizes plus the usual GameStop merchandise, but if he tells me he's gonna hold all the money again I'm either gonna enlist someone else's help or not hold the tournament at all.

Anomic_Punk

Smash Champion
A possibility for this is to have a door fee, something like 5$, and then the tournament fee for whatever entry you want (5$, 10$, whatever) that goes straight to the pot.
I'm sure your teacher/sponsor wouldn't have a problem with that, it'd still give the school money or whatever, and more people would be inclined to come based on the fact that the pot wouldn't be cut from.
:)

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
well the door fee would get in the way of people hanging out (which we really prefer people to be there even if they dont participate). Like SpeedAce said, the prize money shouldnt be a problem because im confident ill convince mr masters to put up the minimum of $100. What i want to do is have $100 minimum and add to it if enough people show up.

SweetSoulBrother

Smash Rookie
NICE! FINALLY WARTOWN IS GETTIN' SOME LOVE. Haha, I need to fight some more people since I couldn't actually compete in the Melee tournament Play N Trade had since I worked there. Rest assured, I'll come back to town that weekend to get down on some Brawl action.

SpeedAcE

Smash Journeyman
NICE! FINALLY WARTOWN IS GETTIN' SOME LOVE. Haha, I need to fight some more people since I couldn't actually compete in the Melee tournament Play N Trade had since I worked there. Rest assured, I'll come back to town that weekend to get down on some Brawl action.
OK, I know this is off topic, but I actually think I saw you there bro. Were you the guy that played Peach and helped supervise the tournament? dude LOL

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
We should have a nearly complete banned stage and neutral stage selection around February 4th. I may also be able to confirm whether or not we can keep Final Smashes in. For any and all who don't know yet, the Strategy Guide for Brawl will be out the 4th and I already have my copy on pre-order at GameStop.

Mike G

███████████████ 100%
BRoomer
It seems brawl is bringing out all the GA noobs this time =]

Hector or its not gonna happen!

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
okay, well its confirmed that we have a minimum of $100 worth cash prizes this time around. Now we have another problem, Mr. Masters doesn't want to be there all day and it's double elimination with one Wii. I'll be trying to work something out but so far we have the $10 entry with $100(+) worth prizes. the $100 we already have from the last tourny, minus what Mr. MNasters spends on snacks. With that i might actually go with FullMetal's idea of $5 door fee + $5 tourny entry to be thrown into the prize.

I'm just happy to be around the money problem, but now we have this whole time problem. suggestions?

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
nope we can handle this, we've always managed before. I'm willing to be everything will be in order before the tourny starts. I'm confident this will all work out. Once again, bring your controllers if you dont want to use Gamecube controllers. There's a slight chance we'll have enough Wii Remotes but Classic ones im not gonna have.

Are there any other disputes or questions about the tournament? I kinda need to know them ahead of time to address them.

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
right now we should have 3 Wii's, but unless the SD cards can transfer Brawl data from one system to another we more than likely wont have the data on all three. This is the problem we're trying to work out right now.

Gerbil

Smash Champion
right now we should have 3 Wii's, but unless the SD cards can transfer Brawl data from one system to another we more than likely wont have the data on all three. This is the problem we're trying to work out right now.
This problem is easily solved. If you go into the Wii Menu, you can copy from the SD cards to the Wii itself, and vice versa. So transfer of data is absolutely no problem at all.

Also, I'd like to point something out. I suggest to you, to put in the first post, that ANYONE with a Wii, needs to bring a Wii Mote with their Name and Controller Configurations on them. The reason is, due to the fact that this is the first Brawl tourny in GA, noone will have their names or controllers on the Wiis (duh). I was looking at the Dojo update where they talked about transferring that information, and it's very fast if you do it with a WiiMote. So people can simply bring their Mote, transfer their name/config to the Wii in a matter of seconds, and then plug up whatever controller they want to use, and be done and good to go. I think this would save time. ^.^

Kyd

Smash Journeyman
Wow that sounds great. If the memory problem isnt exactly a problem then I'm going for it. Also, if i wanted spoilers (cant imagine why anyone would XP) after the Japanese release, where would i go?

I like the Wiimote idea, i didnt know you could do that, thats insane. I'll be sure to edit that into the opening post.
EDIT: The problem is they dont have it confirmed uless you found a page i didnt, it says they are trying.

Gerbil, think you've got your friends convinced to show? I really wanna play as many people as i can because i've never really faced competitive players for Melee, i was hoping to for Brawl.

Top Bottom