• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Jab....Useful?

lavagolem123

Smash Journeyman
Well, from time to time, when I'm playing against my friends, I pop in a jab to stun my opponent. Now this is kind of situational, and definately can't be abused, but I think it still has some use. It's just slow enough to catch some characters when hey attempt to shield grab. Most of the time I use it after a D-Tilt to give me a little extra window of time to either WD away or possibly stun and start a new combo. If it's CC'ed it obviously won't serve much purpose due to the low power. Maybe it's possible to interrupt aerials/wakeup attacks(eh..when your opponent hits the floor without teching and then does an attack while getting up). Hey it might even be a mediocre or decent tech chase at best = / So, your thoughts?

quak

Smash Champion
yeah, it actually stacks on a reasonable amount of damage too, but unfortunatly it's too slow to use other than just for a surprise every now and then

DJ Black

Smash Rookie
I think it's way better to d-tilt when people approach my Mewtwo, after a shortened WD, instead of jab. It's utterly useless to be honest, from my point of view. Too much lag, and can easily be DI'ed away from, only to start comboing or use projectiles. It depends on the opponent as well. You can't exactly count on Mewtwo's jab when fighting a Marth. In a low tier situation, you can't do it vs. Luigi for example. He'll punish lag badly. The only opponent I see fitting to jab is Zelda, but Zelda is crap anyway. Nah, the chances of a jab interrupting a rising move is very low, unless you can time it with extreme precision. It's also not a good idea to rely on people not teching as well. Not saying that it can't occur, but It's alot easier to punish someone not teching compared to find methods to punish those who actually tech. the D-tilt is always best for Mewtwo, since you can follow up with a fair.

dguy6789

Smash Lord
Although the jab can be used as you stated LavaG, most of the time, I would say one of the tilts would be able to accomplish anything the jab could do and then some. If I am going to use the jab, I would use it to stop projectiles simply for a psychological/coolness effect. Other than that, I don't use the jab too much.

Peace.

Taj278

TIME TO GET PAID!
BRoomer
I like Mewtwo's jab. I have a high success rate whenever I use it to land a free down tilt. It is very situational though. Most of the time, I could've just grabbed or tilted, but every once in a while, the jab is the "right" move.

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
never really found the jab useful but i also dont recall being punished when i use it by accident

just to add to the discussion..

mewtwo's jab can also be jab canceled.
and when jab canceled, consecutive jabs actually come up pretty fast.

Wilhelmsan

Smash Lord
Forward fux with jab cancels, according to a thread in another subforum.

Basically you jab, crouch and can jab again quickly without going into rapid punches, kicks or purple fire. Useful as a quick, high priority attack that can mix things up.

Hope that answered your question.

I've been using M2's jab a lot more lately, it's yielded some good results.

EDIT: you can see Forward using jab cancelling in this match vs. Wobbles. here

quak

Smash Champion
i'm pretty sure with jab cancelling you still can't jab quickly enough to put pressure on shields or combo out of them, as you have to face teh winddown eventually.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
**** that jab cancel is fast.

I don't think it would help Mewtwo THAT much since his lag is atrocious but I suppose I can try to use it for my really bad tick throws = /

D

Deleted member

I dislike it because of crouching, which mewtwo should always be aware of. It's not bad though, just preference I suppose.

MetaKnight0

Smash Lord
I suppose the idea behind it would be to catch them when they aren't crouching, like trying to do something out of shield or WD or slow move, and then do whatever. Probably grab because people shield when in trouble.

quak

Smash Champion
ah, but you get style points cause the purple flame doesn't appear, so it looks like m2 just 'whims' them away

Must make 1000 post awesome.... will not post until perfect time....

Top Bottom