• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mewtwos best and worst matchups

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
I think little mac is a terrible MU for Mewtwo. Most of his attacks are very difficult to punish due to mewtwo's awful traction and most of these moves can kill mewtwo around 70%, which is not good at all. Besides that, I believe our grab will whiff on a little mac running towards us since his hurtbox is lowered when running, making it much harder to actually get him in the air. I think Little mac wins 65-35, possibly worse.

IMO ganon is our best MU. There is very little he can do against our shadow ball camping. Having a functional grab really helps in this MU since mewtwo can throw him away when he gets close and continue to camp him with shadow balls. Mewtwo's pretty good at edgeguarding Ganon as well due to Ganon's awful recovery. We definitely should be wary of getting hit too much, as Ganon can end our stock extremely early due to his power. That being said, I think we win 55-45 against him due to the aforementioned issues.

EarthBound18

Smash Cadet
Fox is bad.

Can reflect Shadowball and win the tennis game because his reflector stays out. Shadowball is near useless, Fox has good frames, Mewtwo's is so-so. Also Fox can reflect disable,then Fox's up smash......

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Terrible matchups: :4sheik::4fox::4pikachu::4falcon::4luigi::4mario::4ness::4diddy::4yoshi:

Could do well against: :4bowserjr::4ganondorf::4dedede::4jigglypuff:

And that might be just about it.

AlMoStLeGeNdArY

Smash Hero
NNID
almostlegendary
3DS FC
1349-7081-6691
I think fox is his worst MU by far. Like I hate seeing that character. The way I feel when I have to fight him is worse than any other character.

godogod

Smash Ace
I most definitely agree that kirby is a really bad match up for Mewtwo. Too damn small. Can't grab him most of the time and kirby has a better aerial game and faster ground game easily.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
I think Mewtwo possibly wins against:

:4littlemac::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4ryu::4samus::4bowser::4zelda::4miisword::4lucario::4shulk::4bowserjr:

Loses against:

:4sheik::4kirby::4pikachu::4falcon::4yoshi::4zss::4mario::4fox::4falco::4villager::4olimar::4diddy::4sonic::4luigi::4gaw::4miibrawl:

Even:

:4wiifit::4megaman::4myfriends::4dk::4dedede::4robinm::4drmario::4charizard::4miigun::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina:

The others I haven't thought about much yet or had much experience with.
I disagree with bowser mewtwo can't take a hit has laggy moves bowser can punish plus mewtwo doesn't get much from combos since once bowser gets combo'ed he will be at like 60percent but mewtwo will be at 100 percent waiting to die I think it's :4bowser:55:45:4mewtwo:

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
I used to think that the Yoshi matchup was rough, and I still don't think it's an easy or comfortable matchup by any means, but the more I understand Yoshi's weaknesses as a character the more I realize that Mewtwo's characteristics can take advantage of Yoshi's issues just as much as Yoshi can exploit Mewtwo's.

Basically, Yoshi's biggest tradeoffs are immense air speed + huge far-reaching hitboxes for having very little disjoint and a less stellar grab/out of shield game. This is best exemplified in Yoshi's fair, which causes his head to double in size or something, has low landing lag, and is a generally great move, but has an equally huge hurtbox. If you know where Yoshi's head is going to be, you can strike it, and if you have a disjoint such as a sword, then you can really make Yoshi pay.

Mewtwo is full of disjoints, and aside from having a pretty large hurtbox in general is very slippery. You can basically throw off the timing of Yoshi's attacks and take advantage of Yoshi's small disjoints. If Mewtwo and Yoshi's attacks collide, Mewtwo will win more often than not. On top of that, having a fully charged Shadow Ball is immensely useful in the matchup, because it somewhat negates Yoshi's air speed. It matters less that Yoshi can retreat or advance quickly through the air when Shadow Ball can catch him regardless. Yoshi also dies surprisingly early off the top of the screen despite being so heavy, a symptom of being pretty floaty.

That all said, Yoshi is still fast, has the weight advantage, and can chase down Mewtwo, which is why I said it was an all right matchup but not an easy one. It's just that Mewtwo has all the tools he needs to succeed in the matchup, but mistakes are punished severely.

In fact, I think that's what throws off a lot of people's thoughts on Mewtwo's matchups. Aside from a few particularly difficult matchups, Mewtwo often has everything he needs to take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses, between a powerful and versatile projectile, a reflector, + command grab, tilts that work in the right circumstances, a really good air dodge, an amazing dash attack, killing throws, and more. You have to acknowledge that Mewtwo is in trouble if he makes the wrong move, and it's up to you to not make the wrong move. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, like "Well if Melee Kirby can read Fox perfectly then he would every time too!" but Mewtwo is the kind of character that just has so many tools at his disposal that it's up to the player to figure out what moves in what order will most correctly exploit the flaws in the opponent's thinking. Being afraid that Mewtwo might lose because oh no forward smash missed is limiting one's own Mewtwo gameplay.

Browny

Smash Hater
Mewtwo often has everything he needs to take advantage of the opponent's weaknesses, between a powerful and versatile projectile, a reflector, + command grab, tilts that work in the right circumstances, a really good air dodge, an amazing dash attack, killing throws, and more. You have to acknowledge that Mewtwo is in trouble if he makes the wrong move, and it's up to you to not make the wrong move. I know that sounds a bit ridiculous, like "Well if Melee Kirby can read Fox perfectly then he would every time too!" but Mewtwo is the kind of character that just has so many tools at his disposal that it's up to the player to figure out what moves in what order will most correctly exploit the flaws in the opponent's thinking. Being afraid that Mewtwo might lose because oh no forward smash missed is limiting one's own Mewtwo gameplay.
Literally the perfect mentality. No other character in the game has the unique combination of a high power projectile, reflector, command grab and a long-range poke. The only anti-approach tool Mewtwo doesnt have is a counter. In fact only one character has 3 of these in ROB. All of those options Mewtwo possesses can defeat almost every approach in the game.

That matters because so many characters in this game are completely bullied by other characters who have really safe approaches or options they can throw out with little risk. Think of ZSS, her nair is pretty much broken and many characters in this game have no answer to it when used as an approach. If you dont have a fast, long range fair you cant do anything about it. Mewtwo has not one but two answers to that in shadowball and confusion. Further to this, if ZSS mixes up her approach and goes for a dashgrab, paralyser, sideb or dash attack, Mewtwo rules out all of those options with shadowball and confusion.

Yes it requires a pre-emptive move and is risky, but the point is Mewtwo two options to cover her array of approaches, many characters have 0.

I was watching Mr.R vs Ally today, the first 2 matches where he went Ryu and I think it showed this perfectly. With Mr.R at about 140% and Ally at 70%, you witness how Mario has literally no safe options to do anything about Ryu walking forward. A contender for top 5 in the game, a consistent tournament threat used by one of the best players in the world had nothing he could do to Ryu that Ryu couldnt instantly kill him for, and it showed.

People talk about 'neutral game' but none of that matters if you cant actually do anything safe, or stop the opponent from doing anything safe. Because whoever is unsafe dies, and Mewtwo is a super hard punisher.

In that situation for example, Mewtwo has the tools in Shadowball and dtilt to safely keep Ryu out and confusion to reflect hadouken. Meanwhile marios fireballs were eaten by hadouken and jab, getting near Ryu meant invincible upb into death and Ryu just walked closer and closer, pushing Mario offstage with hadoukens until he gets nervous and gets near Ryu and dies.

Mewtwo is not limited like Mario is in this situation, and there are countless others where Mewtwo is quite safe and can space around and poke while other characters lose.

The ability to use Mewtwos tools at the highest effectiveness is the skill people need to develop and choosing the right one for the right situation.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Literally the perfect mentality. No other character in the game has the unique combination of a high power projectile, reflector, command grab and a long-range poke. The only anti-approach tool Mewtwo doesnt have is a counter. In fact only one character has 3 of these in ROB. All of those options Mewtwo possesses can defeat almost every approach in the game.

That matters because so many characters in this game are completely bullied by other characters who have really safe approaches or options they can throw out with little risk. Think of ZSS, her nair is pretty much broken and many characters in this game have no answer to it when used as an approach. If you dont have a fast, long range fair you cant do anything about it. Mewtwo has not one but two answers to that in shadowball and confusion. Further to this, if ZSS mixes up her approach and goes for a dashgrab, paralyser, sideb or dash attack, Mewtwo rules out all of those options with shadowball and confusion.

Yes it requires a pre-emptive move and is risky, but the point is Mewtwo two options to cover her array of approaches, many characters have 0.

I was watching Mr.R vs Ally today, the first 2 matches where he went Ryu and I think it showed this perfectly. With Mr.R at about 140% and Ally at 70%, you witness how Mario has literally no safe options to do anything about Ryu walking forward. A contender for top 5 in the game, a consistent tournament threat used by one of the best players in the world had nothing he could do to Ryu that Ryu couldnt instantly kill him for, and it showed.

People talk about 'neutral game' but none of that matters if you cant actually do anything safe, or stop the opponent from doing anything safe. Because whoever is unsafe dies, and Mewtwo is a super hard punisher.

In that situation for example, Mewtwo has the tools in Shadowball and dtilt to safely keep Ryu out and confusion to reflect hadouken. Meanwhile marios fireballs were eaten by hadouken and jab, getting near Ryu meant invincible upb into death and Ryu just walked closer and closer, pushing Mario offstage with hadoukens until he gets nervous and gets near Ryu and dies.

Mewtwo is not limited like Mario is in this situation, and there are countless others where Mewtwo is quite safe and can space around and poke while other characters lose.

The ability to use Mewtwos tools at the highest effectiveness is the skill people need to develop and choosing the right one for the right situation.
Funny that you describe using the correct move at the correct time an important skill for Mewtwo while talking about Ryu, since that applies to him too.

Mewtwo also has good mobility in neutral to avoid bad situations if he can't identify the ideal move to use.

An interesting quirk about bair that has become apparent to me is how far it extends above Mewtwo. It's very good at defending against aerial approaches because of this.

Sometimes I feel like when people lose with Mewtwo they're too quick to blame his attributes for their loss because it's easier than admitting they were outplayed. And they attack his "inaccurate" hitboxes and poor weight the most since they're difficult to argue against.

Could I steal some parts of this post to put in the metagame thread?

Last edited:

Browny

Smash Hater
Sure go ahead, I was actually going to post it there as well but I think people are sick of my Mewtwo posts over there lol.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
There is the case that someone outplayed you and then there is a whiffed attack and then you die. Weight while regrettable isn't that big an issue.

The whiffed attacks is easily corrected if you are up your opponents ass. Which is of course a risk you might have to take.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
There is the case that someone outplayed you and then there is a whiffed attack and then you die. Weight while regrettable isn't that big an issue.

The whiffed attacks is easily corrected if you are up your opponents ***. Which is of course a risk you might have to take.
Actually they tend to miss more when up really close (utilt, jab and fsmash notably). Still, when I miss a bair because I was too high I don't go cursing the attack wishing it would hit lower. You buck up and learn where it DOES hit so that it doesn't happen again.

Also @ Browny Browny , this is the thread: http://smashboards.com/threads/the-psychic-log-mewtwos-metagame-discussion.415950/

I'm saying this because I don't see any of your posts in there, unless you're Skyping.

Last edited:

Q-Two

Smash Rookie
This might be a dumb question but oh well,
yesterday I went to a tourney and lost to a Dark Pit and Luigi, had the same problems with both in that after I got popped up and they started hitting me in the air I couldn't get out of it/couldn't get down what would I do in those situations in general and how should I fight those two specifically, cuz there's a lot of luigis and pits where I am

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
DI away or hope you can airdodge(Fastfall AD if you can but you are floaty as hell) out of it. Can't help on fighting the things, lack of experience as Mewtwo.

You'd think Nair could be used as a combo breaker but it's too slow. Just like about everything so we can't break out.

Mewtwo kinda has every weakness a standard heavy has except Mewtwo is light. So you are big, heavy, are generally combo food and can find it hard to escape. Especially since our teleport takes I wanna say between 1-2 seconds to actually go intangible.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
This might be a dumb question but oh well,
yesterday I went to a tourney and lost to a Dark Pit and Luigi, had the same problems with both in that after I got popped up and they started hitting me in the air I couldn't get out of it/couldn't get down what would I do in those situations in general and how should I fight those two specifically, cuz there's a lot of luigis and pits where I am
If you get grabbed by Luigi, you're going to take several painful hits no matter who you play as.

A video would help point out what you could be doing that needs to be improved upon, but I will just say that you need to use every movement trick Mewtwo has in the book to escape. Confusion jumps, teleport and your good airdodge can all prevent further damage when used properly.

Mewtwo's disadvantage is really not that bad with those options and an airspeed comparable to Mario's. It may feel terrible when playing against top tiers with excellent advantage states and knowing Mewtwo can't take many hits, but those movement options coupled with Mario-level airspeed mean he can land with ease against slower characters, and possibly even do so against faster ones with the right reads.

Of course, it would be better to avoid such situations entirely. And for Luigi the best way to do that is never to approach him unless he's in the air, even then using your range to the fullest.

1Flow

Smash Journeyman
NNID
jfaithfull
depending on how you play the matchup, CF can be really bad against Mew2 or really good. Make sure you stay grounded as much as possible.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
depending on how you play the matchup, CF can be really bad against Mew2 or really good. Make sure you stay grounded as much as possible.
I mean, I'm not sure about Falcon being bad against Mewtwo. I'm quite sure that with a lot of practice Captain Falcon becomes a lot easier, maybe even a 55:45 Falcon's favor.

But it's still hard. I know the stuff we can do in this matchup, so I in no way feel like it's somewhere around 70:30 or 65:25, but somewhere around 60:40. In the matchup you have to be kind of safe all the time. Because of Mewtwo's weight, Falcon's down throw followups are harder on him. Hell, he can even down throw to knee us quite easily.

Just keep Falcon out. Like, all the time, I guess. I don't know too much of what to do in this matchup. But your primary goal should probably be to not let him get close since he gets massive reward off of those dash grabs.

Because Falcon's a fastfaller, Down tilt to forward air to forward air is a true combo at low percents. That is a massive amount of reward, almost the reward of one of those pesky dash grabs that falcon owns.

And yes, you probably mostly have to be grounded. You're gonna be thrown around by up air in the air. I suppose if this ever happens, try and quickly get out of his up air chains by finding an escape option. Like, Teleport, or Confusion. Airdodging usually isn't the best strategy, since if he knows you're going to air dodge, you're going to go on the ground and take that annoying landing lag that makes you want to throw up. Then you get dash grabbed or forward smashed and depending on the situation those can absolutely destroy you.

It's a rough matchup, no doubt about that. Just practice a lot with good falcon mains and learn the matchup a little more. He's one of the more necessary ones to learn since his player base is quite large (not counting the fg falcons) We can do this matchup, just don't let him get close.

Thank you for your time.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
How well do we do against Dedede tho

Massive disjoints and I can't seem to get past that stupid d-tilt of his.

Maybe I suck? idk lol but it's hard to keep them away with SB and f-tilt when he's in the air most of the time.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735

Maybe I suck? idk lol but it's hard to keep them away with SB and f-tilt when he's in the air most of the time.
It doesn't seem like a good King Dedede would be in the air a lot, really. Dedede only has about 2 good aerials, nair and up air, and the rest of his have way too much landing lag to be very useful. Oh, yeah, Dedede has the worst airspeed in the game, while ours is great.

I honestly think that it's in our favor, but I'm kind of lazy to explain why. (sorry lol)

D

Deleted member

I'm a Dedede main, so I can quip in.

Mewtwo's biggest disadvantage in this MU is that he's light af and has a tall frame, so if you get hit by a move like dsmash or up air around 70-80% you better say goodbye to your stock. However, Dedede is fat, slow, and has awful frame data and can't deal with pressure. A good Mewtwo can easily rush down Dedede and close down his options if they know the MU. Confusion and up tilt can deal with Gordos well, and the match becomes a bit tense for the Dedede if they know you've got a fully charged Shadow Ball ready to go.

Both characters can combo each other well, with Dedede's dthrow to up air chain being able to rack up to 50% damage on Mewtwo if done with on-point precision. Mewtwo has some of the most damaging throws in the game to his advantage, but up throw and back throw won't kill D3 reliably until pretty high percents due to his long survivability. Forward throw should be used to rack up damage, it's an easy 13%. Dedede is also an easy target for Confusion into up smash at lower percents. The only ground move of Dedede's that Mewtwo lacks a solid answer to is ftilt. To respond to 420quickscoper 420quickscoper , back air is also a useful move for Dedede. It covers his entire body behind him, kills well, great for edgeguarding and comes out quick-ish. It's one of the few good moves in his toolkit.

If you ask me, this matchup is even, but I'd probably put it in :4mewtwo:'s favor if I had to say who had the advantage overall. I guess I need to fight more Mewtwos but eh.

Last edited by a moderator:

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735

Mewtwo's biggest disadvantage in this MU is that he's light af and has a tall frame, so if you get hit by a move like dsmash or up air around 70-80% you better say goodbye to your stock. However, Dedede is fat, slow, and has awful frame data and can't deal with pressure. A good Mewtwo can easily rush down Dedede and close down his options if they know the MU. Confusion and up tilt can deal with Gordos well, and the match becomes a bit tense for the Dedede if they know you've got a fully charged Shadow Ball ready to go.

Both characters can combo each other well, with Dedede's dthrow to up air chain being able to rack up to 50% damage on Mewtwo if done with on-point precision. Mewtwo has some of the most damaging throws in the game to his advantage, but up throw and back throw won't kill D3 reliably until pretty high percents due to his long survivability. Forward throw should be used to rack up damage, it's an easy 13%. Dedede is also an easy target for Confusion into up smash at lower percents. The only ground move of Dedede's that Mewtwo lacks a solid answer to is ftilt. To respond to 420quickscoper 420quickscoper , back air is also a useful move for Dedede. It covers his entire body behind him, kills well, great for edgeguarding and comes out quick-ish. It's one of the few good moves in his toolkit.

If you ask me, this matchup is even, but I'd probably put it in :4mewtwo:'s favor if I had to say who had the advantage overall. I guess I need to fight more Mewtwos but eh.
Okay, so three of Dedede's aerials are good. But to me, dair and fair aren't very good due to their massive landing lag.
I'd put it in Mewtwo's favor as well, since Mewtwo has a huge mobility advantage over Dedede. At worst, 60:40. But it's probably a 55:45. You agree?

D

Deleted member

Okay, so three of Dedede's aerials are good. But to me, dair and fair aren't very good due to their massive landing lag.
I'd put it in Mewtwo's favor as well, since Mewtwo has a huge mobility advantage over Dedede. At worst, 60:40. But it's probably a 55:45. You agree?
55:45 seems reasonable, I'd agree.

And yeah, Dedede's dair and fair are really bad. The latter has no use whatsoever outside of killing offstage and extending dthrow combos, and even then Dedede has much better options out of dthrow than that move.

Last edited by a moderator:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647

I see I see... thanks a lot for this! I actually have had more trouble facing Dedede than fighting Pikachu or ZSS, but with this info, I hope I can perform better.
Thanks again!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
55:45 seems reasonable, I'd agree.

And yeah, Dedede's dair and fair are really bad. The latter has no use whatsoever outside of killing offstage and extending dthrow combos, and even then Dedede has much better options out of dthrow than that move.
I even question why Dedede uses fair out of a down throw combo. Neutral and up air are much better options. Sad how down throw to fair is actually unsafe on hit.

But let's not get off topic. :)
I see I see... thanks a lot for this! I actually have had more trouble facing Dedede than fighting Pikachu or ZSS, but with this info, I hope I can perform better.
Thanks again!
It's either you haven't really found any very good ZSS or Pikachu, or you just don't know what to do against D3.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Biggest thing Mewtwo has in the Dedede matchup is shadow balls, D3 just has no good answer to them as even the weakest ball deflects them and jumping to avoid them allows Mewtwo to easily gain good positioning. Though like with all battles involving Dedede the difficulty can increase considerably if he gains a lead, which can happen to Mewtwo easily if he isn't careful. But otherwise Mewtwo pretty much controls the pace of the match at all times.

Click Klack

Smash Cadet
My personal worst Match Ups are Ike and Ness. Ike has a lot of range that completely ****s over my play style. Alot of my play style is moving around my opponent usually to get a good space to charge up shadow ball or get a bair off but Ike has a lot of range with all of his attacks that are extremely hard to avoid when I'm side B-ing around his head. His moves circle around him giving him almost a shield in the air that makes it beyond annoying to get in on him. Ness on the other hand is really hard for me because he's so short yet still spacey and makes it even harder to get in. but that's just me.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
Any tips on fighting Little Mac? It's one of my personal bad matchups, although here it seems like many think it's a good matchup for Mewtwo, which I can't see how it is, other than edgegaurding, but everyone can do that.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Any tips on fighting Little Mac? It's one of my personal bad matchups, although here it seems like many think it's a good matchup for Mewtwo, which I can't see how it is, other than edgegaurding, but everyone can do that.
It's even, but insanely volatile. Both characters can destroy the other in a heartbeat.

The stage you pick matters a lot against him. Final Destination and Battlefield are his best, Smashville and Duck Hunt are his worst.

Use lots of dsmash to keep him at bay, and don't be afraid to use uthrow to start juggles here, since the juggle opportunities it provides outweigh the benefits of killing as Mac is far more vulnerable off the sides.

My personal worst Match Ups are Ike and Ness. Ike has a lot of range that completely ****s over my play style. Alot of my play style is moving around my opponent usually to get a good space to charge up shadow ball or get a bair off but Ike has a lot of range with all of his attacks that are extremely hard to avoid when I'm side B-ing around his head. His moves circle around him giving him almost a shield in the air that makes it beyond annoying to get in on him. Ness on the other hand is really hard for me because he's so short yet still spacey and makes it even harder to get in. but that's just me.
Ike's tough for sure, try not to get into too many spacing contests with him and try to discern his habits so you can punish him. And don't take to the air much unless he's over you.

Ness is pretty straightforward to space out, just don't get greedy with your hits. Your goal shouldn't be to get in, but to keep him out.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
It's even, but insanely volatile. Both characters can destroy the other in a heartbeat.

The stage you pick matters a lot against him. Final Destination and Battlefield are his best, Smashville and Duck Hunt are his worst.

Use lots of dsmash to keep him at bay, and don't be afraid to use uthrow to start juggles here, since the juggle opportunities it provides outweigh the benefits of killing as Mac is far more vulnerable off the sides.
I see I see. I had no idea what to do against Mac so he was one of my biggest problems. Thanks!

godogod

Smash Ace
I fought an insanely tough little mac opponent in FG the other day. I couldn't even grab the dude. Little Mac has amazing ground game being super fast(like little to no lag) and powerful, and the dude would keep taking advantage of all his moves with super armor. He would just keep the pressure on.

I'm awful at edge guarding too, but I had a tough time knocking him out of the stage on the first place.

Anyway... I've always had a tough time against Kirby, Yoshi, and Ness. Kirby because he's short(can't ****ing grab), has fast smashes and superior aerial game. Ness because he's short also, but also because of superior aerial game, outranges Mewtwo, and absorbs them shadowballs. All of Yoshi's attacks have like no lag but all the power.. ugh. I guess I'd add fox, but its mainly his reflector.

C Falcon, ZSS, mario, rosalina, haven't been too bad matchups.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I fought an insanely tough little mac opponent in FG the other day. I couldn't even grab the dude. Little Mac has amazing ground game being super fast(like little to no lag) and powerful, and the dude would keep taking advantage of all his moves with super armor. He would just keep the pressure on.

I'm awful at edge guarding too, but I had a tough time knocking him out of the stage on the first place.
Seasoned Macs are definitely a challenge. The super armor on his smash attacks always catch me at the worst possible times as well.

godogod

Smash Ace
It's ****ing ridiculous how many super armor moves he has. All of his smash attacks and straight lunge, and not to mention that the ko uppercut is unblockable. If his recovery was average, i think he'd be in the top 10 easily.

Last edited:

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
care to explain putting Ryu there?
This is actually a pretty old post, and I had less experience with Ryu then. I consider it to be even or possibly 55:45 Ryu at most now. The reason why is because Mewtwo can out-camp Ryu and keep him spaced out, but he just has to watch out for him going in.

If I were to revise that, I'd say Jigglypuff, Dedede, Samus, Bowser Jr, Ganondorf, Zelda are in Mewtwo's favor. The rest I listed are probably even (Lucario, Ryu, Little Mac, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Swordfighter). I'm not sure about Bowser as I don't see him often.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
This is actually a pretty old post, and I had less experience with Ryu then. I consider it to be even or possibly 55:45 Ryu at most now. The reason why is because Mewtwo can out-camp Ryu and keep him spaced out, but he just has to watch out for him going in.

If I were to revise that, I'd say Jigglypuff, Dedede, Samus, Bowser Jr, Ganondorf, Zelda are in Mewtwo's favor. The rest I listed are probably even (Lucario, Ryu, Little Mac, Shulk, Duck Hunt, Swordfighter). I'm not sure about Bowser as I don't see him often.
For Bowser, I'd say it's about even, maybe in favor of Bowser. We can rack up damage but it's difficult for us to get a kill because uthrow doesn't kill until around 160%, but killing him isn't impossible. But for him, killing us is like ripping paper in half.
I'd say :4bowser:60:40:4mewtwo:

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
For Bowser, I'd say it's about even, maybe in favor of Bowser. We can rack up damage but it's difficult for us to get a kill because uthrow doesn't kill until around 160%, but killing him isn't impossible. But for him, killing us is like ripping paper in half.
I'd say :4bowser:60:40:4mewtwo:
I think it's very easy to outcamp Bowser, and he struggles with landing safely more than we do which allows for nice up smash punishes. You just have to watch out for the Bowser Bomb and try your best to evade his attacks (especially aerials) as they do tons of damage and knockback which can be really bad. His OoS options aren't that potent against Mewtwo since Mewtwo doesn't usually attack the shield right next to the opponent anyway, and when he does (d-smash, f-air), he's relatively safe. Fire breath can be an issue off-stage if you're not careful with your double jump, and we can gimp him relatively easily.

Last edited:

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I think it's very easy to outcamp Bowser, and he struggles with landing safely more than we do, which allows for nice up smash punishes. You just have to watch out for the Bowser Bomb and try your best to evade his attacks (especially aerials) as they do tons of damage and knockback which can be really bad. His OoS options aren't that potent against Mewtwo since Mewtwo doesn't usually attack the shield right next to the opponent anyway, and when he does (d-smash, f-air), he's relatively safe. Fire breath can be an issue off-stage if you're not careful with your double jump, and we can gimp him relatively easily.
dtilt is still a thing since Mewtwo doesn't grab the ledge out of Teleport right away. I've lost a few matches from that.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
dtilt is still a thing since Mewtwo doesn't grab the ledge out of Teleport right away. I've lost a few matches from that.
It depends on how you target the ledge. It just takes practice, more than any other teleport.

Top Bottom