• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mewtwos best and worst matchups

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
ummmmm... This might be a thread for the Q&A thread or MU discussion thread, buuuttttt... here we go...

Anyways, I find ROB, Shiek, Fox, CF and some of the other faster characters to be particularly annoying.

Rob-
He just has so much Stage control that I find it difficult to fight him. He also has enough kill power to easily take a stock. in the forms of Uthrow, Dthrow-Uair, Usmash, Dsmash and to a lesser extent Fsmash. If he catches you with an Uair you can expect to die as early as 80% and you can't beat it with any of Mewtwo's moves.

Shiek-
Do I really need to say?

Fox-
Quick, can easily punish Mewtwo, has a fast reflector, can juggle Mewtwo and has quick smashes.

CF-
Fast and has a very good juggle game.

This is just my opinion and these MU's are the ones that I have had a particular problem with compared to others.

miniada

Smash Journeyman
NNID
miniada
ummmmm... This might be a thread for the Q&A thread or MU discussion thread, buuuttttt... here we go...

Anyways, I find ROB, Shiek, Fox, CF and some of the other faster characters to be particularly annoying.

Rob-
He just has so much Stage control that I find it difficult to fight him. He also has enough kill power to easily take a stock. in the forms of Uthrow, Dthrow-Uair, Usmash, Dsmash and to a lesser extent Fsmash. If he catches you with an Uair you can expect to die as early as 80% and you can't beat it with any of Mewtwo's moves.

Shiek-
Do I really need to say?

Fox-
Quick, can easily punish Mewtwo, has a fast reflector, can juggle Mewtwo and has quick smashes.

CF-
Fast and has a very good juggle game.

This is just my opinion and these MU's are the ones that I have had a particular problem with compared to others.
What about the ones you think mewtwo wins in

Sonicninja115

I think Mewtwo's easist MU's would be ones in which he can control the pace of the game and be able to out-space the opponent in the neutral. Not many characters fall into this range. But I think most of the sword characters are pretty good MU's. At least 55/45. and other then that some slower projectile characters like megaman and pacman and DHD. But I have not been able to do many of these characters often so it is mere speculation. Mewtwo doesn't have many favorable MU's annoyingly as he is easy to combo and laggy. Anyways, this is just my ten cents.

Last edited:

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Kirby seems like Mewtwo's hardest MU. Mewtwo doesn't have a grab in this MU since it will whiff against Kirby 95% of the time and several of his moves, such as nair and Fair won't hit kirby on the ground. Due to Mewtwo's gigantic hurtbox and low weight, Kirby can easily combo Mewtwo forever and kill him at like 80% with Up Smash. We really can't punish a Kirby using aerials on our sheild as well due to mewtwo's bottom tier traction. Kirby's aerials can also intercept our up B, forcing us to recover high. Only thing Mewtwo has in this MU is bair imo. I think this MU is at least 75:25 in Kirby's favor, but its probably worse.

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
Kirby seems like Mewtwo's hardest MU. Mewtwo doesn't have a grab in this MU since it will whiff against Kirby 95% of the time and several of his moves, such as nair and Fair won't hit kirby on the ground. Due to Mewtwo's gigantic hurtbox and low weight, Kirby can easily combo Mewtwo forever and kill him at like 80% with Up Smash. We really can't punish a Kirby using aerials on our sheild as well due to mewtwo's bottom tier traction. Kirby's aerials can also intercept our up B, forcing us to recover high. Only thing Mewtwo has in this MU is bair imo. I think this MU is at least 75:25 in Kirby's favor, but its probably worse.
This matchup can't possibly be 75:25 Kirby, just because Mewtwo is extremely slippery and is well-equipped to exploit Kirby's main weakness, which is approaching. Mewtwo is a high-mobility character in the air and on the ground, while possessing ranged, disjointed attacks, a killer projectile, and long rolls. Literally Mewtwo's best strategy is to just hit and run, and antagonize Kirby to dare to catch up. Yes, if you try to get in close and fight then Kirby will wreck Mewtwo. Kirby will actually wreck most characters in CQC, but most characters will do their damn best to try and keep him out.

As for best matchups, if there are two characters I'm never afraid of when I play as Mewtwo, it's Ganondorf and Charizard. Ganondorf hits like a tank and can be scary when he has a read, but Mewtwo can juggle Ganondorf just as hard, and gimp him fairly easily. Charizard's big body makes him vulnerable to a lot of nair shenanigans, and you basically can put the fear into Charizard and seal his Side B. Side B's already a risky move, but the first time you shield it, and then do a running up-smash, you begin to make them think twice about even daring to try it.

Pakky

Smash Hero
I know more times than not it goes almost without saying is that Mewtwo is Megman's natural enemy. Megaman can do very little to Mewtwo, even things like hard knuckle can be reflected by confusion. Also of course shadow ball eats all of his projectiles.

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
@ Nobie Nobie you seem to think that a charizard would use fare blitz in a situation where you can sheild it
also charizard has disjointed wings meaning he can juggle your giant floaty hurtbox and since you are the second lightest chharacter you die at <100% to up throw without rage. also your only projectile is extremely laggy and easilty punished due to charizards high speed. also and attempts to gimp charizard can lead to you dieing because his up b has super armour

Last edited:

Nobie

Smash Champion
NNID
SDShamshel
3DS FC
2809-8958-8223
@ Nobie Nobie you seem to think that a charizard would use fare blitz in a situation where you can sheild it
also charizard has disjointed wings meaning he can juggle your giant floaty hurtbox and since you are the second lightest chharacter you die at <100% to up throw without rage. also your only projectile is extremely laggy and easilty punished due to charizards high speed. also and attempts to gimp charizard can lead to you dieing because his up b has super armour
A fully charged Shadow Ball is one of the least laggy projectiles in the game.

To compare, here are the first active frames of all the charge shots, fully charged, stored up (if possible), and then shot:

Samus Charge Shot: 61
Zero Suit Samus Paralyzer: 71
Lucario Aura Sphere: 62
Greninja Water Shuriken: 91
Wii Fit Trainer Sun Salutation: 57
Diddy Kong Peanut Pop Gun: 49
Mii Gunner Charge Shot: 39
Sheik Needle Storm: 54
Mewtwo Shadow Ball: 49

So basically the only charge shot that has less lag is Mii Gunner's, and Shadow Ball actually hits harder than all of them bar an Aura-powered Aura Sphere.

Mewtwo is large and floaty, but Charizard is large and slow in the air. For every hit that Charizard can successfully land, Mewtwo can land 3x as many. Charizard's up throw can kill sub-100% with bad DI, but good DI will help Mewtwo out a lot more. On the opposite end, Mewtwo's up throw is one of the least DI-affected throws in the game.

Moreover, Charizard is has one of the lowest air speeds in the game while Mewtwo is among the highest, which means Mewtwo can escape Charizard's juggles much more easily than Charizard can escape Mewtwo's. Up Smash kills Charizard sub-100% as well, except that Charizard being so large and having such poor air speed means that it's not hard to chase a Charizard down. The light weight is of course a major weakness, but I basically have no fear when fighting Charizard.

Last edited:

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
A fully charged Shadow Ball is one of the least laggy projectiles in the game.

To compare, here are the first active frames of all the charge shots, fully charged, stored up (if possible), and then shot:

Samus Charge Shot: 61
Zero Suit Samus Paralyzer: 71
Lucario Aura Sphere: 62
Greninja Water Shuriken: 91
Wii Fit Trainer Sun Salutation: 57
Diddy Kong Peanut Pop Gun: 49
Mii Gunner Charge Shot: 39
Sheik Needle Storm: 54
Mewtwo Shadow Ball: 49

So basically the only charge shot that has less lag is Mii Gunner's, and Shadow Ball actually hits harder than all of them bar an Aura-powered Aura Sphere.

Mewtwo is large and floaty, but Charizard is large and slow in the air. For every hit that Charizard can successfully land, Mewtwo can land 3x as many. Charizard's up throw can kill sub-100% with bad DI, but good DI will help Mewtwo out a lot more. On the opposite end, Mewtwo's up throw is one of the least DI-affected throws in the game.

Moreover, Charizard is has one of the lowest air speeds in the game while Mewtwo is among the highest, which means Mewtwo can escape Charizard's juggles much more easily than Charizard can escape Mewtwo's. Up Smash kills Charizard sub-100% as well, except that Charizard being so large and having such poor air speed means that it's not hard to chase a Charizard down. The light weight is of course a major weakness, but I basically have no fear when fighting Charizard.
If there is platforms on the stage charizards up throw can kill you really early even with good di and even earlier with rage. Also charizard won't always need to be in the air to juggle you because he can use his incredibly fast dash speed to punish your landings. Also Charizard can combo from his down throw and easily get 20+ Percent off of one down throw, and when he can kill you with most moves around 80% you don't want to take that much damage. Also every hit I take before I die just means I can kill you earlier while you take longer because you have less powerful kill moves and you are a lot lighter.2nd lightest vs 4th heaviest. Also since a fully charged shadow ball takes a while to charge up you can't successfully zone me because I can get to you before you can charge another one

Sonicninja115

I agree, Shadowball may be fast but it still has 20+ frames of statup, which means all charizard would have to do is perfect shield and he would be fine, he might even be able to punish the fc Shadowball.

Last edited:

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Fox and Falcon are the usual candidates for worst, with Mario rounding out the axis of evil.

I'm of the opinion that Little Mac is our best MU, but we don't really dominate anybody.

Sonicninja115

What about Shiek ZSS and RosLuma? Lungi doesn't make the list because of his horrid off-stage game, but aren't those three 60/40 or maybe even 65/35 MU in their favor? I know for certain that Mewtwo doesn't do well int he slightest against Shiek. ZSS is reall good with her punish game, thus, goodbye Mewtwo. And RosaLuma can kill Mewtwo rather early and has Luma to reflect our projectiles. I know that Fox and Cf are bad MU's but how bad? The one that I agree is on the hardest list is Fox, because there is nothing the behemoth known as Mewtwo can do!

Coffee™

I need it....
Mewtwo's worst matchups are probably Kirby and Fox.

His best are likely against Little Mac and maybe...Megaman.

His best relevant matchups are against Wario and Rosa imo. Rosa definitely doesn't just beat him. Luma dies hard and regularly to Mewtwo's tilts and Dash Attack.

I don't think ZSS is that bad either. Her approaches aren't really that great against him and she dies early.

Sonicninja115

Mewtwo's worst matchups are probably Kirby and Fox.

His best are likely against Little Mac and maybe...Megaman.

His best relevant matchups are against Wario and Rosa imo. Rosa definitely doesn't just beat him. Luma dies hard and regularly to Mewtwo's tilts and Dash Attack.

I don't think ZSS is that bad either. Her approaches aren't really that great against him and she dies early.
Thanks, that makes sense, but with ZSS doesn't her options beat out Mewtwo? It seems that with paralyzer, stunner and flip jump that she could easily punish Mewtwo. I'm just thinking about how if we make one mistake, ZSS will probably be able to capatilize on it and kill us.

Also, any tips for fighting ROB?

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
Thanks, that makes sense, but with ZSS doesn't her options beat out Mewtwo? It seems that with paralyzer, stunner and flip jump that she could easily punish Mewtwo. I'm just thinking about how if we make one mistake, ZSS will probably be able to capatilize on it and kill us.

Also, any tips for fighting ROB?
You should only be punished with Paralyzer, Dsmash or Flip jump on a hard read as they are generally reactable. ZSS mostly shines when she's allowed to challenge Mewtwo in the air. Ground game...not so much.

Not sure about R.O.B. Need more experience in the matchup.

Browny

Smash Hater
Yoshi is painful. No other character feels as hopeless to fight against IMO. You just have to camp the hell out of Yoshi, its so difficult to get him away once hes comboing you though.

At least the other rushdown characters have fairly easy recoveries to intercept with the nair elevator or are punishable enough to somewhat reliably hit with shadowball/usmash.

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I think Mewtwo possibly wins against:

:4littlemac::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4ryu::4samus::4bowser::4zelda::4miisword::4lucario::4shulk::4bowserjr:

Loses against:

:4sheik::4kirby::4pikachu::4falcon::4yoshi::4zss::4mario::4fox::4falco::4villager::4olimar::4diddy::4sonic::4luigi::4gaw::4miibrawl:

Even:

:4wiifit::4megaman::4myfriends::4dk::4dedede::4robinm::4drmario::4charizard::4miigun::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina:

The others I haven't thought about much yet or had much experience with.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

:4littlemac::4duckhunt::4ganondorf::4ryu::4samus::4bowser::4zelda::4miisword::4lucario::4shulk::4bowserjr:

Loses against:

:4sheik::4kirby::4pikachu::4falcon::4yoshi::4zss::4mario::4fox::4falco::4villager::4olimar::4diddy::4sonic::4luigi::4gaw::4miibrawl:

Even:

:4wiifit::4megaman::4myfriends::4dk::4dedede::4robinm::4drmario::4charizard::4miigun::4palutena::4pacman::rosalina:

I still don't see how Mewtwo loses to Kirby. Strong combos do not equal auto win against Mewtwo if you struggle to get in and are outranged on almost everything.

G&W is pretty bearable as long as you can avoid his smashes and don't do anything stupid with shadow ball. Probably even if you ask me.

Little Mac I also feel is heavily underestimated, yes you can KO him super early if you can get him offstage and juggling him isn't too hard, but you just can't challenge him when he's on the ground, period, and his fast run speed makes landing a huge pain.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I still don't see how Mewtwo loses to Kirby. Strong combos do not equal auto win against Mewtwo if you struggle to get in and are outranged on almost everything.

G&W is pretty bearable as long as you can avoid his smashes and don't do anything stupid with shadow ball. Probably even if you ask me.

Little Mac I also feel is heavily underestimated, yes you can KO him super early if you can get him offstage and juggling him isn't too hard, but you just can't challenge him when he's on the ground, period, and his fast run speed makes landing a huge pain.
Kirby's is bad mostly due to crouching. If you can tell me how Mewtwo can bypass kirby's crouch aside from downward angled forward tilt and down tilt, I'll put it more in Mewtwo's favor. I still think Kirby beats him, though. Wii Fit may be at a disadvantage for this same reason, but we beat her projectile spam. Not sure about Jigglypuff.

Mr. Game and Watch easily combos Mewtwo and he completely shuts down Shadow Ball. It's also tough to bypass his crouch. Your best bet would be to try and fake out his bucket, but it's tough. I don't see how it can ever be in Mewtwo's favor. Villager would be a winning matchup too IMO if it wasn't for the Pocket shutting down one of Mewtwo's most major options.

Little Mac is probably 55:45 or 60:40 Mewtwo since LM is really fast on the ground and can give Mewtwo a hard time trying to hit him due to his crouch. He can also KO Mewtwo stupidly early with low commitment moves. However, Mewtwo's prime method of damage racking is grabbing and popping LM up in the air, and his throws have enough base knockback to put LM in a terrible position. He hates confusion as well since he can't retaliate strongly after it except for using Jolt Haymaker which leaves him in special fall. He doesn't jump often which leaves him more vulnerable for a Disable. He has no projectiles to challenge Shadow Ball, forcing Mac to approach. This is why I think Mewtwo wins this one.

Last edited:

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258

Loses against:

Even:

I am surprised you didn't say that doc loses to mewtwo due to his horrible recovery that you should be able to take advantage of

Also I still believe charizard beats mewtwo

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I am surprised you didn't say that doc loses to mewtwo due to his horrible recovery that you should be able to take advantage of

Also I still believe charizard beats mewtwo
Doc's frame data is the same as Mario's, who already gives Mewtwo a hard time. You still have to be careful with Shadow Ball and read if he's going to reflect or not. His recovery is bad, but his aerials and his smashes are stronger than Mario's with the same speed as his, and his combos are different, but still good against Mewtwo. Also, Dr. Tornado and Doc's SJP are much better versus Mewtwo than Mario's FLUDD and SJP, so it's really up for debate I think. I admit I don't fight many Doc players, so if someone with MU experience can chime in on this I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Kirby's is bad mostly due to crouching. If you can tell me how Mewtwo can bypass kirby's crouch aside from downward angled forward tilt and down tilt, I'll put it more in Mewtwo's favor. I still think Kirby beats him, though. Wii Fit may be at a disadvantage for this same reason, but we beat her projectile spam. Not sure about Jigglypuff.

Mr. Game and Watch easily combos Mewtwo and he completely shuts down Shadow Ball. It's also tough to bypass his crouch. Your best bet would be to try and fake out his bucket, but it's tough. I don't see how it can ever be in Mewtwo's favor. Villager would be a winning matchup too IMO if it wasn't for the Pocket shutting down one of Mewtwo's most major options.

Little Mac is probably 55:45 or 60:40 Mewtwo since LM is really fast on the ground and can give Mewtwo a hard time trying to hit him due to his crouch. He can also KO Mewtwo stupidly early with low commitment moves. However, Mewtwo's prime method of damage racking is grabbing and popping LM up in the air, and his throws have enough base knockback to put LM in a terrible position. He hates confusion as well since he can't retaliate strongly after it except for using Jolt Haymaker which leaves him in special fall. He doesn't jump often which leaves him more vulnerable for a Disable. He has no projectiles to challenge Shadow Ball, forcing Mac to approach. This is why I think Mewtwo wins this one.
Considering the two moves you listed basically outrange everything Kirby can do out of a crouch I'll take my chances. Dtilt also pops Kirby into the air where he'll have a much harder time avoiding Mewtwo's moves. If Kirby is crouching a lot than you simply adjust the moves you use.

Tell me how Oil Panic completely shuts down Shadow Ball when anything that doesn't completely fill it leaves G&W with so much lag that he's open to a free hit from almost anything. All it means is that you have to be careful with charged ones. He may combo Mewtwo but he barely dies later and is considerably worse at sealing a stock.

And good luck grabbing a Little Mac who knows what they're doing, especially with Mewtwo's traction and short grab. To say nothing of how easily Mac can punish Mewtwo for missing any of the moves you mentioned.

RayNoire

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RayNoire
Yeah, Kirby and G&W body Mewtwo.

Something people don't get about crouching: just because an option has counterplay doesn't mean it's not still really strong, particularly when said option has virtually no commitment attached to it. Instead of "Dtilt beats crouch," it's more like "crouch beats everything save Dtilt, which is beat by another low-commitment movement option (jump)." When you can reduce your opponent to a binary set of options with just your control stick, that's really, really good.

And Mac hates Dtilt more than he fears grab.

ILOVESMASH

Smash Ace
NNID
Marioman123450
3DS FC
3368-1022-7382
Something else to note about Kirby is that his hurtbox becomes slightly smaller when he uses his aerials, meaning mewtwo cannot punish them with his grab. His dash grab can also punish Mewtwo's rolls quite easily as well due to it traveling a large distance.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Something else to note about Kirby is that his hurtbox becomes slightly smaller when he uses his aerials, meaning mewtwo cannot punish them with his grab. His dash grab can also punish Mewtwo's rolls quite easily as well due to it traveling a large distance.
You just have to be smart with your rolls. Mewtwo's are kind of slow, so you can't just skirt around the opponent expecting to not get hit. Just retreat with them and spot dodge/air dodge otherwise.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Sheik is our definite worst matchup.

ZSS is around the same level as Sheik.

Pikachu, Fox, Kirby, MK are all bad too with Falcon and Mario not that far behind them.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Yeah, Kirby and G&W body Mewtwo.

Something people don't get about crouching: just because an option has counterplay doesn't mean it's not still really strong, particularly when said option has virtually no commitment attached to it. Instead of "Dtilt beats crouch," it's more like "crouch beats everything save Dtilt, which is beat by another low-commitment movement option (jump)." When you can reduce your opponent to a binary set of options with just your control stick, that's really, really good.

And Mac hates Dtilt more than he fears grab.

You can U-Throw Mac and get free juggles all day with U-Air (which he can't counter because it doesn't hurt us) and if he air dodges you can regrab into U-Throw. Forces him to DI to the edge which allows Mewtwo to get him offstage. I mean, don't get me wrong, D-Tilt is also awesome vs Mac, but U-Throw becomes a killing machine since 0% in this matchup.

I agree in everything you said on Kirby. Haven't played any good G&Ws and I didn't even know he was small enough to duck under our ****.

Last edited:

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
Doc's frame data is the same as Mario's, who already gives Mewtwo a hard time. You still have to be careful with Shadow Ball and read if he's going to reflect or not. His recovery is bad, but his aerials and his smashes are stronger than Mario's with the same speed as his, and his combos are different, but still good against Mewtwo. Also, Dr. Tornado and Doc's SJP are much better versus Mewtwo than Mario's FLUDD and SJP, so it's really up for debate I think. I admit I don't fight many Doc players, so if someone with MU experience can chime in on this I'd appreciate it.
I play doc and i have experience vs mewtwos. mewtwo is to slow and big so he can get harrased by pills pretty well and your only projecile shadow ball is very punishable and easy to reflect. It is dangerous for mewtwo to try and gimp doc because the super jump punch can stage sike you and kill you at fairly low percent. Also since you are also slow odcs speed isnt as much of a disadvantage and he can still easilty juggle mewtwo due to his floatiness and large hurtbox. Just my eperience on the mu, nothing official

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
I play doc and i have experience vs mewtwos. mewtwo is to slow and big so he can get harrased by pills pretty well and your only projecile shadow ball is very punishable and easy to reflect. It is dangerous for mewtwo to try and gimp doc because the super jump punch can stage sike you and kill you at fairly low percent. Also since you are also slow odcs speed isnt as much of a disadvantage and he can still easilty juggle mewtwo due to his floatiness and large hurtbox. Just my eperience on the mu, nothing official
Mewtwo isn't slow. That's a common misconception for some reason. His air speed is very good, and his run speed is around the same as WFT's which is decently fast. His fast fall is also pretty decent. The only slow thing he has is his fall speed, his air acceleration, and his frame data. Super Sheet also isn't too threatening since Mewtwo can just reflect his shadow ball back with Confusion. Mewtwo just has to predict correctly.

Anyway, I appreciate the input on the rest.

hotdogtaco4321

Smash Cadet
NNID
MaverickGV
3DS FC
0748-3241-5258
Mewtwo isn't slow. That's a common misconception for some reason. His air speed is very good, and his run speed is around the same as WFT's which is decently fast. His fast fall is also pretty decent. The only slow thing he has is his fall speed, his air acceleration, and his frame data. Super Sheet also isn't too threatening since Mewtwo can just reflect his shadow ball back with Confusion. Mewtwo just has to predict correctly.

Anyway, I appreciate the input on the rest.
yes but the floaatiness means that you take a while to get to the ground and doc can easily get to you o keep juggling

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
yes but the floaatiness means that you take a while to get to the ground and doc can easily get to you o keep juggling
Doc runs too slow to catch a fleeing Mewtwo in the air, and if he gets close one good teleport is all that's needed to escape.
Methinks you played poor Mewtwos who did not realize all of their options or foolhardly tried to challenge Doc when landing.

Are you sure you're not thinking of a plumber instead of a doctor?

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Fun fact, Mewtwo actually outspeeds Mario on the ground (in terms of running. Mario walks faster than Mewtwo) and ties him in the air.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Fun fact, Mewtwo actually outspeeds Mario on the ground (in terms of running. Mario walks faster than Mewtwo) and ties him in the air.
Which is why despite @ RayNoire RayNoire 's insistence to the contrary, I don't believe Mario is Mewtwo's worst matchup, though I agree that it's tough. It's not impossible to land, but you do have to be good at mindgaming.

Coffee™

I need it....
Kirby does not beat Mewtwo because of crouching....

He beats Mewtwo because everything whiffs on his small ass frame.The only moves Mewtwo gets to use in Neutral are Dtilt, Dash Attach and sometimes Utilt. Everything else just keeps whiffing...

Kirby also has high damaging combos on Mewtwo and its hard to punish anything he does on shield.

A Kirby that mostly plays airborne will probably lose out to Mewtwos range but stay grounded and Kirby basically wins for free.

As for GW, I don't think its bad. He has to commit too much and Mewtwo can play the range game here, even with the limited usability of Shadow Ball.

I feel like Falcon is even, but pretty volatile. At times it look like Falcon can win for free with some of his combos but then Mewtwo can get free gimps at any percent if he can capitilize on Falcons recovery.

LRodC

NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Which is why despite @ RayNoire RayNoire 's insistence to the contrary, I don't believe Mario is Mewtwo's worst matchup, though I agree that it's tough. It's not impossible to land, but you do have to be good at mindgaming.
I do think Mario is a poor MU, but I don't think it's unwinnable by any means. There are far worse MUs, like Sheik and Fox. ZSS is probably painful as well, but I haven't fought a good one recently (just flowchart ones on FG).

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548

He beats Mewtwo because everything whiffs on his small *** frame.The only moves Mewtwo gets to use in Neutral are Dtilt, Dash Attach and sometimes Utilt. Everything else just keeps whiffing...

Kirby also has high damaging combos on Mewtwo and its hard to punish anything he does on shield.

A Kirby that mostly plays airborne will probably lose out to Mewtwos range but stay grounded and Kirby basically wins for free.

As for GW, I don't think its bad. He has to commit too much and Mewtwo can play the range game here, even with the limited usability of Shadow Ball.

I feel like Falcon is even, but pretty volatile. At times it look like Falcon can win for free with some of his combos but then Mewtwo can get free gimps at any percent if he can capitilize on Falcons recovery.
How well does Confusion work on Kirby? Does he crouch that too?

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex

He beats Mewtwo because everything whiffs on his small *** frame.The only moves Mewtwo gets to use in Neutral are Dtilt, Dash Attach and sometimes Utilt. Everything else just keeps whiffing...

You do realize that it only whiffs on Kirbys who are crouching or landing. On a standing Kirby everything hits, nothing whiffs. So your first sentence makes 0 sense. Kirby does beat Mewtwo BECAUSE he can crouch thus eliminating 90% of Mewtwo's moveset.

Also Dash Attack also whiffs if Kirby crouches when hit (instead of holding crouch, imagine a sort of "perfect crouching" scenario).

Basically we got D-Tilt, Down Angled F-Tilt, Confusion and U-Tilt (Full Charge Shadow Ball too I guess, but nothing below mid charge will hit), everything else will whiff on a crouching Kirby.

Last edited:

Coffee™

I need it....
You do realize that it only whiffs on Kirbys who are crouching or landing. On a standing Kirby everything hits, nothing whiffs. So your first sentence makes 0 sense. Kirby does beat Mewtwo BECAUSE he can crouch thus eliminating 90% of Mewtwo's moveset.

Also Dash Attack also whiffs if Kirby crouches when hit (instead of holding crouch, imagine a sort of "perfect crouching" scenario).

Basically we got D-Tilt, Down Angled F-Tilt, Confusion and U-Tilt (Full Charge Shadow Ball too I guess, but nothing below mid charge will hit), everything else will whiff on a crouching Kirby.
Yes I'm quite aware of when the moves will whiff. Crouching in itself does not allow Kirby to win the matchup. That's all my first sentence is referring to so it makes quite a bit more than 0 sense.

The fact that Kirby 's frame gets smaller when he lands is a bigger problem overall in the matchup than just actively crouching.

Wintermelon43

Smash Champion
IMO Fox matchup is worse for Mewtwo than Kirby, I got wrecked by a Mewtwo with Kirby, switched to Fox and got pretty close to winning. Although Kirby matchup is still probably 60:40 or 65:35

Last edited:
Top Bottom