• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mewtwos best and worst matchups

Browny

Smash Hater
Always come in from below the ledge and you'll have the same vulnerability as anyone else.

I swear every time I see people having issues with mewtwo not grabbing the ledge out of teleport its because they are doing it from very close and almost horizontally where it can bounce for other characters that teleport too.

godogod

Smash Ace
^^Just because it effects other teleport users, doesn't mean its okay.

And there will be times where you are more horizontally away from the stage than vertically, and you don't have a choice. Characters should not bounce back in the first place. Its ridiculous and costs matches.

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
For Bowser, I'd say it's about even, maybe in favor of Bowser. We can rack up damage but it's difficult for us to get a kill because uthrow doesn't kill until around 160%, but killing him isn't impossible. But for him, killing us is like ripping paper in half.
I'd say :4bowser:60:40:4mewtwo:
I'd honestly say it's in Mewtwo's favor. You are really exaggerating how easy it is to kill us. How about this, just not get hit by something strong?

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
I'd honestly say it's in Mewtwo's favor. You are really exaggerating how easy it is to kill us. How about this, just not get hit by something strong?
Yeah, I am, aren't I? Probably not enough sleep, but no johns, I apologize. I see how it's better for Mewtwo now.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
For best matchups, it's kind of hard to say. It's a bit controversial, but I actually think he does fairly well against Marth and company. Not to say I expect people to be on board with that for sure, but I feel like he spaces them really well with his tilt and back air.

For worst, I've got to go Falcon. He's a nightmare for Mewtwo in almost every conceivable way.

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
For best matchups, it's kind of hard to say. It's a bit controversial, but I actually think he does fairly well against Marth and company. Not to say I expect people to be on board with that for sure, but I feel like he spaces them really well with his tilt and back air.

For worst, I've got to go Falcon. He's a nightmare for Mewtwo in almost every conceivable way.
Well sure, except for the fact that a) his approaches aren't actually all that safe for the most part, b) Mewtwo can combo him almost as efficiently, and c) Falcon is gimp fodder for Mewtwo. He may be the epitome of what Mewtwo struggles with, but there are plenty of factors that keep him from being the worst matchup.

Mewtwo does best against other zoners, or characters that struggle with approaches like Luigi or Ganondorf.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
It depends on how you target the ledge. It just takes practice, more than any other teleport.

Always come in from below the ledge and you'll have the same vulnerability as anyone else.

I swear every time I see people having issues with mewtwo not grabbing the ledge out of teleport its because they are doing it from very close and almost horizontally where it can bounce for other characters that teleport too.

Tuesday's Smash direct has me really excited and I decided to visit these threads again. Although I might main Cloud for a bit and just secondary Mewtwo (unless he gets some huge buff).

Just wanted to point out that you're both either wrong or don't understand what the original poster was talking about. It's been proven that every character has a few vulnerable frames before he grabs the edge out of Up-B, every character. But depending on what character you are your Up-B might be safer or weaker, plus the overall length of these frames seems to vary for different chars (although I don't know if this has been proven).

Chars like Sheik, have a hitbox, a windbox and her frame becomes smaller when teleporting, which means her hurtbox is smaller which means she is harder to hit. Couple that with the fact that it's just a very few amount of frames and it makes it really hard to hit a Sheik when she's ledge grabbing out of Up-B. Although it's pretty easy for chars like Doc, Fox, etc which can "float" with a multi-hit move right at the edge (Watch Larry vs any Sheik when customs were allowed or Nairo's Dr vs a Sheik).

Mewtwo has NOTHING to defend his Up-B, he seems to be the char with the most vulnerable frames AND he has a huge ****ing hurtbox allowing chars like Mario to be able to hit him with an D-Tilt from on top of the stage even if the Mewtwo perfectly spaces his Teleport. The Mario just has to be very accurate about his timing.

It's a huge glaring weakness of the character that is almost never exploited by the opponents because no one has deep Mewtwo matchup knowledge (plus it's still a very time intensive punish, specially since Mewtwo should try to be as random as possible about when he is going to Teleport and he has things like Side-B plus a huge floaty Double Jump to help him force the opponent into mistiming the punish). But trust me, I've fought against Mario's who have punished my recovery 3-4 times in a row with D-Tilt from the stage even though I would drop down and Double-Jump into random Teleports to try to throw away his timing. And it's not Mario only, Mewtwo's hurtbox is so big that I wouldn't be surprised if almost every char had some move that could hit Mewtwo from safely on top of the stage.

The only upside is that you when you get hit in this way you get your double jump back instantly (even though you didn't finish the ledge grab, you still get it) which most likely means you'll be able to try some OTHER kind of recovery that doesn't involve Teleporting to the ledge. But the opponent will still be able to intercept that recovery and **** you up.

Anyways if Mewtwo gets buffed expect me to hang around for a while, but otherwise I might just go into the Cloud forums, depends on how fun he is to play. I haven't really played Smash in the last 3-4 months, been too busy with work and **** but I am kind of excited one of my fav chars from my childhood is being added (and the possibility at one of my other fav chars getting buffed). Now if for sme weird magic trick (some might say cruel joke) Goku gets added then I am never touching Mewtwo agaoin xD. Goku is my #1 man. Not that I expect him to be added but Cloud just ****ing threw all my logical thinking out the window.

Last edited:

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Love how you say Mewtwo getting hit out of his ledge grab is a big issue, then list everything Mewtwo can do to make it really hard to exploit. And here's a few more: hitting the opponent trying to get into a position to do this, either with bair, uair or confusion if you predict a shield.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Love how you say Mewtwo getting hit out of his ledge grab is a big issue, then list everything Mewtwo can do to make it really hard to exploit. And here's a few more: hitting the opponent trying to get into a position to do this, either with bair, uair or confusion if you predict a shield.
Well, it's not an instant win for the opponent. There's obviously stuff Mewtwo can do. But what this means is that in the offcase that you were to make your Mewtwo good enough where pro players would start to fear you then they would start to actually research the matchup then expect to never be able to Up-B to the ledge. It's one less recovery option, but Mewtwo does have a lot of different ways to recover.

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Well, it's not an instant win for the opponent. There's obviously stuff Mewtwo can do. But what this means is that in the offcase that you were to make your Mewtwo good enough where pro players would start to fear you then they would start to actually research the matchup then expect to never be able to Up-B to the ledge. It's one less recovery option, but Mewtwo does have a lot of different ways to recover.
You're back!

420quickscoper

Smash Ace
3DS FC
3952-7274-7735
No one can resist the power/hype of a Smash Direct my friend. Hahaha. Hopefully Mewtwo gets the buff he deserves.
To be honest with you, this patch seems like the time where he'd most likely be getting it, would you agree?

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Whatever happens, happens. Whether he gets buffs or not, I'll still be here. Still think he's fairly underrated overall even if he does have some bad flaws.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Whatever happens, happens. Whether he gets buffs or not, I'll still be here. Still think he's fairly underrated overall even if he does have some bad flaws.
I would still be here if work wasn't so time consuming to be honest. But I might relegate Mewtwo to secondary (I will still play him quite a bit) if he doesn't get buffed at all.

To be honest with you, this patch seems like the time where he'd most likely be getting it, would you agree?
Yea, I completely agree that this seems like the patch where the most buffs/nerfs will happen since the release. Which means a greater chance for Mewtwo buffs.

Kuragari

Smash Apprentice
Exactly. Mewtwo is a defend and punish type of character. He's too big/light/floaty to be very aggressive without serious risk. And you'd be surprised what you can DI out of given he has one of the best recoveries in the game.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Does anyone think that these buffs have done enough to improve Mewtwo's standings in any matchups?

godogod

Smash Ace
His forward air seems to combo more reliably and more now, which is good against fast fallers. I'm sure the less landing lags on his aerials, and up air being easier to land now helped as well. Increased 11% dash speed is notable as well.

Top Bottom