• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo's Bag of Tricks

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
Yea so Mewtwo can sometimes get a kill or two with one of his trademarks tricks. Post any schemes, plots or conspiracies you have with Mewtwo and we'll have our opponents yelling "I've been tricked!" in no time.

So I'll start..

Mewtwo's boost grab actually takes away all his dash momentum and leaves him dash grabbing in place. Calling it a boost grab makes no sense for Mewtwo it's more like a stall grab. Anyway you could be running away from someone (because your mewtwo) then stall grab and get them with the reverse grab hitbox.

Post ya tricks.

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Charging a shadow ball has a hitbox that hits really low. If you charge a shadow ball with your back to the ledge CF can only avoid it if he does a near pixel perfect sweet spotted upB from directly below the stage, or if he grabs the ledge from his max range horizontally. It's a pretty good and derpy edgeguard, as usually they get hit by the charging and are forced to DI through you which causes them to get hit by the charged shadow ball. I didn't expect this 2004 technology to work this day and age, but it worked once against a very solid player. He didn't fall for it after that, but it's a nifty gimmick.

D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
I think that we, the small group of dedicated Mewtwo players, should focus more on things that are to give some kind of real advantage rather than trying to explore the realm of theoretical mind games. For example, the boost grab is something that would be a sort of mind game, but it isn't something that would give you better results on average.

I say this because I do not see how a boost grab would ever be better than a standard grab in the same situation. I also think that if a normal grab wouldn't work in a given situation going for a boost grab instead would be a risky thing to do. The risk of whiffing a grab and getting punished is much higher than succeeding at grabbing your opponent. By doing this, you are essentially tossing a coin up in the air and hoping that it works in your favor, except for the fact that this wouldn't end up being a 50/50 chance for success.

M2 loses in almost every direct confrontation with the commonly used competitive characters. The only way M2 performs well is when the M2 player carefully chooses when to engage their opponent in which M2 has the advantage. This does not mean to take unnecessary risks. Watch vids of Taj and M2K using M2 and you will see that when they approach with M2, it's rarely something that is very risky, and they react and counter their opponents's actions more than they approach.

Last edited:

Diana's Safe Landing

Smash Apprentice
I agree wtih you; this thread is mostly a joke because Mewtwo is such a unique character but it also can teach people some of his strange quirks, gimmicks, tricks etc. I also agree that the boost grab should never be used lol

GrayGhost

Smash Rookie
I say this because I do not see how a boost grab would ever be better than a standard grab in the same situation.
This is probably pretty well-known among you guys but there is one thing M2's boost grab does that the standing grab does not: A crouching Jigglypuff will be grabbed by a boost grab.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Instead of side step I instantly air dodge OoS.
Instead of foward roll l teleport OoS.
They're safer options

Confusion also hits a crouching Puff/Kirby.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
Instead of side step I instantly air dodge OoS.
Instant air dodge OoS leaves a lot of vulnerable frames in the beginning though.
Instead of foward roll l teleport OoS.
Same here. OoS teleport leaves you vulnerable for around a second.

I don't think forward roll is that bad as long as you aren't rolling through your opponent, and is fairly safe. The other options you mentioned aren't really safe either. I'd much rather wavedash OoS than to air dodge OoS, as if I escape then I can reset. That isn't true with the air dodge necessarily.

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
Instant air dodge OoS leaves a lot of vulnerable frames in the beginning though.

Same here. OoS teleport leaves you vulnerable for around a second.

I don't think forward roll is that bad as long as you aren't rolling through your opponent, and is fairly safe. The other options you mentioned aren't really safe either. I'd much rather wavedash OoS than to air dodge OoS, as if I escape then I can reset. That isn't true with the air dodge necessarily.
The air dodge it's only 2 frames more to be invincible than the Side step (4 vs 2) but the iframes are 26 vs 19 and the cool down is 9 frames vs 16 so it's totally worth it to air dodge unless you desperately need that invincibility 2 frames earlier.

Side step

Total: 37
Invincible: 2-21

EscapeAir | Air Dodge

Total: 39
Invincible: 4-30

The teleport is much faster than the roll and the end isn't as laggy so it's better to use to go around your opponent because it's harder to read/punish. Eventhough the roll gets iframes earlier.

WD OoS is great, but l was talking about evasive moves that actually have invincibility.

Last edited:

MookieRah

Kinda Sorta OK at Smash
How many frames does it take before you can air dodge out of the jump? How many frames do you think it would take on average for you to pull off a jump OoS air dodge? I'm thinking you are looking at around 6 frames at the least in the best of circumstances. That's a lot of time when it comes to trying to escape something. Also, while not as bad as a spot dodge, it still is quite punishable.

The teleport has 8 frames of vulnerability even if you did it from the ground. That's almost a second. If you are doing a jump canceled teleport, that's even more frames of vulnerability. You only perform this out of shield in certain situations, and in general M2's rolls are not bad at all.

I'm not advocating spot dodge btw, I think you should pretty much never use it. I don't think the air dodge is a much better solution either, and in most cases here you are better off rolling or wavedashing OoS. If you are on a platform, learn to shield drop instead of relying on his rolls/spot dodges/etc.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 212841

gcyftftdtfyxycyvj

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom