• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

mewtwo throw combos on marth with no DI

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
at least i assume it's no di..it may be slightly up and in or something, but anyways i think it's no DI

i was just wondering if anything is guaranteed.

you could regrab but technically marth has enough time to over B or slash before you can grab him.

fair seems to work ok most of the time...shffl it or do it off the ground?

but sometimes it seems like he bounces just slightly out of range..i guess maybe he's partially DIing out?

anyways, my brother tends to like to do no DI and then jump out or over B.

so far i've found wavedash to upsmash works ok vs the over B hovering, and if he jumps out i can jump and upair him for one hit of damage at least.

anyways, am i wrong in any of this? i always thought you could fair always at any percent ifthe dthrow isn't DIed, but it feels like marth's aerials can get out or he can jump before you reach him..maybe this is at high percent when he's bouncing higher i guess.

Anyways, thoughts and digressions on throw combos on marth would be nice.

DDRKirby(ISQ)

Smash Ace
nothing is "guaranteed", but things should definitely work at resaonable %. (whereas in the extreme case, nothing will combo at 300%...)

would it be possible to shieldgrab his attempt at ->B or fair? or maybe just wd back to avoid it?
utilt or uair maybe?

Whenever I play this matchup the marth I play against always tends to techroll so I focus on techchasing--obviously that's not the case here so I don't know how much help I can be.
I play this G&W player and he likes to try and jump after being thrown so I catch him with an nair.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
well, it is completely possible to shield or wd back of course..but the point is that i want to deal damage to him off my throw combo, and even if i shield his over b it won't be spaced so that i can shieldgrab to punish..so basically i'm just looking at more ways to punish...

i remember this same strategy my brother uses with marth caused problems against my bowser, with bowser i can either dash attack or angled ftilt.

basically marth hovers in this position just low enough that you can't shffl an aerial in time, but that he has time to aerial himself before he lands.

anyways, this is the only real problem with my techchasing against him atm so if anyone has ideas post them..till then i guess i'll go with short wd to upsmash (sometimes works..it's kinda iffy..the hitbox hits him with the side so i feel like he could smash DI out easily and/or maybe hit me first).

short wd to uptilt would probably work too maybe..it's still iffy though, just seems a little slow on startup time

Airo

Smash Lord
Richmond, BritishColumbia, Canada (williams+railw
throws dont combo into anything against any character. but as said, depending on your target's percentage and where he hits the ground or not, you could tech chase. in the case of marth, a light character, you will barely have any chance to techchase.
in a more simple sense, never mind comboing, throws dont even follow into anything against a marth. marth has all the time he needs to fair you in your face or do other things.

if you are looking for damage against marth, result to nairs and fairs. marth's weight makes him nice to do double fairs at lower percentages.

its pretty hard to grab a marth if he knows how to space. however suppose you DO grab him. dont down throw. Upthrow or Backthrow does more damage.

i would advise you not to use your wd to upsmash. If you dthrow, i recommend that you not chase him. mewtwo is not quick enough so you wont have the time.

(i dont understand why you put "with no DI" in your title, its very rare for a human not to combo. i assume your situation is related to human opponents no?)

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
i put no DI because it's obvious if marth di
s away that he isn't going to be comboable. while if he doesn't di and tries to jump out you can follow with an upair or something....you'd think with him that close to you after a throw that you could combo him with something:\, but i guess not? does dthrow have that little stun?

Airo

Smash Lord
(sry if i sound harsh, i don't know how else to put this)
so you are asking how you can punish a marth that doesn't DI properly.
that seems almost like a contradiction.....

well..
at lower percentages, you should be able to connect fairs, chain grabs, just about anything.
at higher percentages (50 or 60 ish) nothing connects.

and.. if he doesn't DI properly, he shouldn't be far enough away from you such that you would need to wavedash.

knightpraetor

Smash Champion
true i suppose, but my brother's new to the game...also, it appears that, with no DI, 0% nothing really works..maybe uptilt...5%, you can regrab, 10% marth can start fairing even if he doesn't di so you can't follow up from there until like 80-90...then you can fair out of jumps and catch him before the aerial comes out

regardless, you're right..my brothers already starting to di so that I can rarely combo from dthrow..so i guess it's bthrow time..my brother seems to miss Di that a lot more..is it faster than dthrow? anyways as long as he's going to miss the di on the bthrow i'm not jabbings because marth off the edge is more useful i think than the few % you get from hitting while you hold him..

uggh just for the record..mewtwo really sucks..i mean i knew he sucked..but seriously, pichu and bowser combo better:\

Airo

Smash Lord
lol.. mewtwo' doesnt suck.. all the other characters are just more broken than the creators meant them to be. mewtwo's the only character that has a set of normal moves. but either way. great wd and instantdjc. to the least he is better than pichu, and perhaps bowser.

seriously, the low tiers arnt too far apart in metagame. its not like mewtwo is the only character that sucks Xd

watch some mewtwo vids in the movie compendium to gain some confidence in our best friend <3

Top Bottom