• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo, Sceptile, or Jigglypuff

So which one do you want?

• Sceptile

Votes: 39 20.5%
  • Jigglypuff

Votes: 71 37.4%
  • Mewtwo

Votes: 80 42.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ThePsychoWolf

Smash Lord
3DS FC
3926-5863-0271
If I HAD to choose one, it would be Mewtwo. So much wasted potential, he could be great with a few buffs. I dislike Jigglypuff as a character, and have even from the beginning. I always thought Charizard, Meowth, or Mewtwo would make better secondary reps. That said, I don't necessarily want her to get cut. Sceptile is an awesome grass-raptor which I love and is one of my favorite pokemon ever. But since the fire chicken and the ugly mudskipper-thing are more popular for some reason, I don't see it happening. Would love to see it or Serperior make it in, though.

Masonomace

Yeah Shulk, get stuck in!
NNID
Masonomace
Hey Welcome to SmashBoarsd @ShookedOnes :shades:.
Jigglypuff is freakin awesome and my brawl main. I hope she gets in with a clefairy/gengar alt.
Omg yes omfg Gengar / Clefairy / Clefable alts / that rumor about Clefairy's shadow being Gengar on Youtube. YES!

Oh yes. . .. now to post for myself. . .Lets do this.

*read all these posts & here now posting*

Pretty disappointed once again on the lack of grass love but I've learned to deal with it, not to mention they're being compared to familair faces of Smash so it's understandable.

My TL;DR

Blunt, open-minded decision
Want to be added: Sceptile
Should be added: Sceptille
Most likely to be added: Jigglypuff & Mewtwo

Everyone who just escapes to the trifecta counter argument against Sceptile maybe forgot that:
1. Type Trio Triffecta TTT, hasn't technically been implemented until Brawl on a gimmick character :pt:, but Gen.1 made the heavy emphasis on it with Charizard, Venusaur, & Blastoise since Smash64 all the way through Brawl as playable characters in their evolutionary line. That's old, JUST as old as the legendary O12.
2. Generation 1 is still the beginning & reason Pokemon is so huge, but IF Jigglypuff & Mewtwo return, why is Generation 1 still having over 4+ playable characters representing themselves in the spin-off from Pokemon that is Smash Bros.? We've had one Gen 2 rep :pichumelee: that failed to represent it's generation of Pokemon, NO Gen 3 rep, :4lucario: as the ONLY gen 4 rep, NO Gen 5 rep, & :4greninja: as the only Gen rep? If you ask me an opinion I'd throw you a narrow-minded opinion saying, "There's 6 generations of pokemon & so far we only have 2 different ones that aren't Generation 1 pokemon"

Giving my judgement on the 3 lets do this:
:jigglypuff: Been around since 64, proof::jigglypuff64:. Points I haven't seen made for Purin I'll address here to give justice to Purin fans. Sakurai's baby being Kirby, Sakurai felt Jiggly would play the same, making it easy to implement her in 64. Starting out as a semi-clone to Kirby in 64 was her first big step. Because of that one point, Sakurai felt it was easy & fun to keep including her in each Smash Bros. title. Melee was her biggest & most successful debut as any recognition of a proud character move-set, model, & play-style. Restivals were a thing, The most ridiculous move in the games, making Purin a funny mess-around & good character. She has good reasons to be in SSB4, with Fairy typing as a main discussion, however a re-vamped type makes little difference to promote into a smash character when compared to Mega Evolution in the next games. But because Sakurai likes her so much he would implement the extra effort to make Purin special & completely unique to separate from the entire process of clone features from her past. Shoutouts to those who bash the elemental type effectiveness trifecta of F/G/W but then pounce on Purin's new added Fairy type. Seriously?
:mewtwopm: Heh. . .Where do I even start with this. Anything I say won't be anything new so. I'll give minimal justice because too much justice would be a page long. :laugh: Mewtwo from Japan's predictions knew he'd make a huge hit over in the West from the First Pokemon Movie, & they were right on the spot. His popularity of being the powerful strong type of pokemon made his debut big here in the U.S.. His continued pushing of marketing to remain relevant throughout each Generation is sickening. No matter if he's from the Original 151 Gen. 1, he's still as popular as ever being ranked #2 most popular pokemon so it's no surprise. With the heavy demand of his fan-base & his relevancy, the thought of him being playable in SSB4 would make millions of fans satisfied & pleased to the max. But to be on topic of him being in a Smash Bros. fighting game, he NEEDS changes, he really needs a re-vamp. For a while he was mocked as the worst pokemon on the tier list, below Pichu! Time changed that making at least better on the tier list than Pichu but. . .only better than Pichu? A Baby Pokemon? By Pokemon Logic he should be the best Pokemon on that Tier List. But that's what separates the discussion. Smash Bros.. If we really want Mewtwo to return he needs something like his Project M game-play. I take Smash Bros. seriously & I'd really like Mewtwo returning with a better game-play than his Melee version.
For the love of green, grass, & reptile & dinosaur-like features, I would love nothing more than Sceptile let alone a grass type getting their own representation in Smash Bros.. Starting off strong on this to say that Sceptile has almost as much chance as Purin & Mewtwo. For what I love & what I believe in with my opinion, Sceptile needs to represent himself in the new Smash Bros., & there's more reasons than just this,
"People just want Sceptile to be in SSB4 so that the irrelevant type trio from Brawl returns."

First of all. . .no, just, no. That's what bandwagoners say. Sceptile is my favorite Hoenn starter & my favorite Grass starter of all time. It's not just about the type trio trifecta TTT, the type trio trifecta is just another pattern point to solidify his chances of getting in the game. Yes that Robin's healing / dealing Nosferatu being the first ever move of it's kind to be in SSB4 hurts Sceptile's chances because Sceptile wasn't the first, & that Mega-man's Leaf Shield also dents Sceptile's chances but they also both strengthen Sceptile's chances. For those who would be 100% serious about ignorantly arguing that Wood Man's weapon get from MegaMan 2 game first released in Japan, 1988, would help de-confirm Sceptile in the future Smash Bros. game, while also saying that Nosferatu also helps de-confirm Sceptile when that move was technically implemented in the FE games during Gaiden, in 1992?:facepalm: That's like saying :4mario: should de-confirm :4falcon: & :4charizard:.

Ivysaur made it possible, Venusaur implemented as a stage element in 64 & as another stage use in Poke Floats also being a pokeball summon, has made the idea of Grass types in Smash Bros., possible. Grass types, are possible. Robin & Mega-man technically help further prove, that a grass-type can make it in the game. When you have so much Fire, & not enough Water despite Pac-man's Hydrant move helping usage & decreasing the rarity of Water type moves. And Grass, a move barely representing by other elements used by different characters, you can't help but feel Sceptile or any Grass starter Pokemon, making a debut can you? /endgrassdebate.

Let's all keep in mind of this source.
Veterans MAY BE cut. This is a hard possibility that Purin, & Mewtwo won't make it & will be cut. Be reminded, that Super Smash Bros. 64 had 12 brand new playable characters now known as the O12. That's 12 newcomers, take a look at Melee's newcomers, there's 14 newcomers added tothe Smash Bros. franchise. Brawl had 18 brand, & fresh newcomers. You see the pattern? Melee's original cast making it to Brawl ended up with 5 cut characters, later found out after hacking the Brawl disc that there were intended characters that can be found here. The point is, Smash Bros. starting out small had the freedom to add more, but now the roster's size is getting bigger than we had hoped. Adding more newcomers there's bound to be cuts, Sakurai just doesn't have the time to bring back every, single character. With removing Mewtwo & Purin, it's quite possible though unlikely. When you see that many newcomers from Brawl & you see that SSB4 only has 13 newcomers right now? Think about it.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Aren't there only 11 confirmed newcomers so far?
Welllllllllllll.
Ik most people don't technically consider it, but the Mii FIghters as one slot is 3 different, playable Miis. Just like :pt:'s situation from Brawl, he was one slot with 3 playable pokemon characters.

Lucina for some reason doesn't have a newcomer banner around herself on the SmashBros site. But that in total equals to 13 if you count them like this shown:
:4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4villager: & :4wiifit:.
:4robinf:* Not considered a different character to me due to being a toggled gender selection with the same move-set. Can't really give sexes that credit just like I wouldn't give credit to Nana from Ice Climbers, or Male Wiit Fit Trainer.

MagnesD3

Smash Master
Welllllllllllll.
Ik most people don't technically consider it, but the Mii FIghters as one slot is 3 different, playable Miis. Just like :pt:'s situation from Brawl, he was one slot with 3 playable pokemon characters.

Lucina for some reason doesn't have a newcomer banner around herself on the SmashBros site. But that in total equals to 13 if you count them like this shown:
:4greninja::4littlemac::4lucina::4megaman::4mii::4palutena::4pacman::4robinm::rosalina::4villager: & :4wiifit:.
:4robinf:* Not considered a different character to me due to being a toggled gender selection with the same move-set. Can't really give sexes that credit just like I wouldn't give credit to Nana from Ice Climbers, or Male Wiit Fit Trainer.
Needs more ridley, k. rool and Krystal.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
Needs more ridley, k. rool and Krystal.
B-but, there's no Smash 4 emoticons for those needs. :urg:

Edit: just thought of a cool Ridley newcomer trailer idea.
King K. Rool I have no opinion on though I'd like to see it done.
Krystal is probably the one I want most to return *gasp le shock*, I did play the StarFox Adventures game & liked it.

Last edited:

Aguki90

Smash Ace
NNID
Aguki900
3DS FC
2423-2759-1478
-Sceptile-I want Sceptile to have the trio starters and we can have 3rd gen represent.
Blaziken its cool but Sceptile appear soo many times and defeating Darkrai in the anime with leaf blade was really freaking boss.

-Jiggly- I really don't like her in my opinion, even she becoming more irrelevant each series for me, my opinion.
But her Fairy typing with normal is the only thing that they really worry about. She in.......................Bleh.

Mewtwo- Hard limitations is the reason is not in the game, but I hope is back to plz the fans.

Want to add:Sceptile
Should be add: Mewtwo and Sceptile
Most likely added: Jigglypuff...

Last edited:

Princess Toady

Smash Ace
NNID
PrincessToady
I voted for Jigglypuff because I like her and she's fun to play as. There's no reason to get rid of her at this point.

NNID
Nightdazer
3DS FC
0731-4784-1465
Sorry Sceptile. (</3 I love you...please forgive me.)
Ha. Bye bye, Jigglypuff.
Mewtwo, mah man...mah main man, you've got my vote.

Starbound

Worlds Apart, But Still Together.
Voted Mewtwo.

Jigglypuff has seniority but she really feels like a third wheel at this point. Mewtwo honestly feels like a very important character that belongs in a game about Nintendo's all stars.

Kevandre

Ivy WAS Saurly missed
NNID
Kevandre
3DS FC
1736-1095-5393
Switch FC
SW-2226-3590-9812
All of the above plus Squirtle and Ivysaur.

Only jerks care about "overrepresentation"

When you really think about it, Pokemon's pretty underrepresented when considering how many characters there are in that series compared to the other ones... :)

Seriously though Ivysaur is a need. Best character in Brawl bar none

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895

When you really think about it, Pokemon's pretty underrepresented when considering how many characters there are in that series compared to the other ones... :)

Seriously though Ivysaur is a need. Best character in Brawl bar none
Fire Emblem is definitely in second place on the under-representation if we follow that rule.

And Fire Emblem has characters that actually have personalities.

TheLippyLapras

Smash Journeyman
Sitting on a chair, letting my eyes burn.
If Mewtwo had the VA from the 16th movie I would always go for Mewtwo.

If not, I would vote Sceptile.

I'd like to vote Jigglypuff because of Seniority, however, I can't help but feel that the only reason Jigglypuff is in Smash in the first place is due to its spot as a recurring character in the Anime during Smash's initial development.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Also, I still don't see why people clinge so hard on Jigglypuff.
Just watch the videos I posted on the first page.

But really, the reason you don't understand until you pick up the game: GAMEPLAY!!!!

Jigglypuff is easily one of the 10 best designed characters in Smash.

And before anyone says "yeah, but Jigglypuff's designed sucked in Brawl", so did this guy :falcon:.
That's another thing. I dont like much the fact that Jigglypuff only works because of one move that doesn't even make sense (I sleep on you so u die). I really hope they buffed Sing at least.
If you knew anything about how Jigglypuff plays in Smash, you would know Jigglypuff works because Jigglypuff is THE HANDS DOWN BEST AERIAL CHARACTER IN THE FRANCHISE!!! Jigglypuff "works" because her aerial combos are Godlike, namely her vaunted "Wall of Pain". Openings are made for Rest in 64 and Melee because you have to avoid the Wall of Pain first and foremost.

All this makes Jigglypuff the purest glass cannon we have in Smash. Yes, even more pure than Melee Falco.
After all, I heard she was at the border of being cut since Melee and also in Brawl, but stayed thanks that she already has a moveset programmed and his model is very simple.
Ummm... there's never been any legitimate leak that says that.

Every leak I've heard that has any legitimacy says the opposite (in that Jigglypuff was always planned).

The only characters ever planned in 64 and Melee to be replaced was Ness. Actually, sometime in 64 Ness may have replaced Lucas (I've heard conflicting reports from accurate sources, none of whom are really sure). For Melee, Lucas was planned to be in over Ness, but they flipped that. For Brawl, they kept both.

As for other veterans characters planned to be "cut", the only one in Brawl planned to be cut was Pichu from the get-go. Then the SSE came and took up 60% of the time, money, resources, and focus, and Roy, Mewtwo, and Dr. Mario all got shafted due to time constraints.

(so literally the only thing that cut veterans were time restraints and Pichu just being planned as the only joke character)

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486

Replace "jerks" with "people who don't [think enough about when they] play the smash" and I 100% agree.

I literally stop reading every post when they say "rep" as anything other than a joke.

We play as characters, not reps.

The playable character in Smash represent nothing but themselves.

There's not some imaginary "rep balance".

If there were, we'd have freaking Baby Pink Gold Metal Daisy and Pikachu copycat #21 as playable characters instead of Zero Suit Samus and The Ice Climbers.

Also, Squirtle and Ivysaur should 100% come back as playable characters on disc/cartridge or as DLC (or Blastoise and Venusaur instead). I think both of them in Brawl had a lot better designs and more potential with their directions than Charizard. So far, Charizard has looked like nothing but the clear weakest link of all the 38 officially confirmed characters to me. In Brawl, Charizard was easily one of the worst designed characters IMO from a purely character design and functionality standpoint (although there are many ways he could be EASILY improved IMO).

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
If you knew anything about how Jigglypuff plays in Smash, you would know Jigglypuff works because Jigglypuff is THE HANDS DOWN BEST AERIAL CHARACTER IN THE FRANCHISE!!! Jigglypuff "works" because her aerial combos are Godlike, namely her vaunted "Wall of Pain". Openings are made for Rest in 64 and Melee because you have to avoid the Wall of Pain first and foremost.

All this makes Jigglypuff the purest glass cannon we have in Smash. Yes, even more pure than Melee Falco.

Ummm... there's never been any legitimate leak that says that. Every leak I've heard that has any legitimacy says the opposite.
Yet most of people only remember Jiggs because of her Rest move, you are the first one that brings up her aerial game.
I still believe Jigglypuff needs something more to make her interesting again to me if she is to appear in Smash Brothers 4 (the fairy type didnt do enough for Wigglytuff in Pokemon XY sadly). A change to her upB is certain. You can keep her neutralB if you want to, it works well a a trollish move in FFAs. And at least make Jiggs heal a bit of % when using Rest so it makes a bit more of sense, you can keep the 1HKO if you want, which I realized today is what people enjoy most of her.

And as for her making it barely in Melee and Brawl. Its moslty rumors that made sense to me since she looks rushed up in some parts; like her final Smash in Brawl, or being outside of the Subspace Emissary story. I could look for more on about this. But honestly I'm done rustling jimmies for today. I already said multiple times in this thread that I'm ok with Jigglypuff being in Smash, but I don't see her appeal and I'd rather have other Pokemon at this point, despite her story in Smash games.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yet most of people only remember Jiggs because of her Rest move, you are the first one that brings up her aerial game.
That's because other people don't actually play the games enough to know enough (or pretty much know anything) about Jigglypuff or Jigglypuff's design.

If they did, they'd bring up the Wall of Pain (which is both used defensively for spacing and for whacking foes off the stage via continual back airs) first, foremost, and last.

The only reason competitive players can open up to an early Rest KO in the first place is by properly using Jigglypuff's aerial game. Heck, the move Jigglypuff uses before a Rest is an aerial most of the time. When it isn't, its' a grab throw, a forward tilt, or her pound (side B).
You can keep her sideB if you want to, it works well a a trollish move in FFAs.
The fact you don't see side B (aka the pound) as a useful move shows you don't really know her that well. While it's not exactly high priority in Melee, it's still very useful.

If you meant her Rollout, eh, Yoshi's rollout looks slightly better so there's some hope that got changed a bit.
And as for her making it barely in Melee and Brawl. Its moslty rumors that made sense to me since she looks rushed up in some parts;
Her design was always solid. The only problems with Brawl was the balance, which happens each smash game.
or being outside of the Subspace Emissary story.
A significant portion of the SSE was cut. That's why Jigglypuff wasn't in the SSE. That's also why the SSE made no sense.
but I don't see her appeal.
Gameplay.

Last edited:

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Yeah, I wanted to say Rollout. My bad there.
Eh, I can see that.

B moves, sans projectiles and a few exceptions, are generally not used for offense at all. Off the top of my head, the only truly useful ones that aren't projectiles or aren't used as defensive/counter attack moves (the Cape, Counter, etc.) are the Smash 64 Mario/Luigi tornado (setups combos), Diddy's side B (easy attack and works like a grab), Melee Link's up B (spacing), Ganondorf's Melee side B (easy grab and tech chases), Samus' Smash 4 up B (KO move), Kirby's Smash 4 side B (KO move), Brawl Lucario's Side B (grab/hit functionality), Squirtle's side B (speed and offensive setup), Melee Marth's up B (rare KO's), Melee and Brawl Marth's/Roy's side B (quick multi-process combo), and Sonic's Brawl/Smash 4 side B, down B, and side B (functioning as a quick offensive launcher).

Last edited:

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I literally stop reading every post when they say "rep" as anything other than a joke.

We play as characters, not reps.

The playable character in Smash represent nothing but themselves.

There's not some imaginary "rep balance".

Also, Squirtle and Ivysaur should 100% come back as playable characters on disc/cartridge or as DLC (or Blastoise and Venusaur instead). I think both of them in Brawl had a lot better designs and more potential with their directions than Charizard. So far, Charizard has looked like nothing but the clear weakest link of all the 38 officially confirmed characters to me. In Brawl, Charizard was easily one of the worst designed characters IMO from a purely character design and functionality standpoint (although there are many ways he could be EASILY improved IMO).
Pretty curious on feedback, because I notice my post said "rep" a lot, but I also say playable characters frequently too.:urg:

Also approve of Squirtle & Ivysaur as returning fighters. Blastoise & Venusaur as the alternate DLC thought sounds nice too. All fully evolved Kanto starters battling that aren't pokeballs. May this is why we haven't seen a kanto starter as a pokeball summon yet. Imho Charizard's heavily overrated & looked at too much through nostalgiashades. Most of all I was impressed more with Squirtle's move-set & Ivysaur's feel of fighting than Charizard. Really hope the characters return in some way being perfected through DLC.

Nat Perry

Smash Ace
I'd rather see Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle as DLC than Blastoise or Venusaur.

That way I could potentially see this in action.

Naruto Shippuden 333 Sub Español HD

Last edited:

Skyblade12

Banned via Warnings
3DS FC
1547-6378-0895
That's because other people don't actually play the games enough to know enough (or pretty much know anything) about Jigglypuff or Jigglypuff's design.
Well, that seems unnecessarily hostile.

Just because we aren't competitive players, or don't know the ideal way to play Jigglypuff (or the names of her most effective combos), doesn't mean we don't know anything about the design.

Yeah, Jigglypuff is the best aerial character. She has fantastic recovery with Pound and her multi jumps. She also has a really great aerial standard game, and has the jump ability to force characters to come to her in the air.

Stop being a snob and realize that just because we don't talk about the air game doesn't mean we don't know about it.

HugoBoss

Smash Journeyman
Fanboys everywhere...

On topic, I think Jigglypuff and Mewtwo are the most likely Pokemon out of the 3.

What I Want: All 3
What Should Happen:Mewtwo and Sceptile
Most Likely:Jigglypuff. Mewtwo will appear
Sceptile could be DLC, but he's not a given.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
Pretty curious on feedback, because I notice my post said "rep" a lot, but I also say playable characters frequently too. :urg:
I didn't even notice you saying "rep", lol. I mean, if you say it in the context of talking about said character and it's character specific, chances are it's not an issue. If you're talking about it like "by the square root of 9 squared pi E 15 Omaha Breakdown, we can only have 6 Pokémon reps", then you got an issue... and you probably wanna see a doctor for it! :laugh:
Also approve of Squirtle & Ivysaur as returning fighters. Blastoise & Venusaur as the alternate DLC thought sounds nice too. All fully evolved Kanto starters battling that aren't pokeballs. May this is why we haven't seen a kanto starter as a pokeball summon yet. Imho Charizard's heavily overrated & looked at too much through nostalgiashades. Most of all I was impressed more with Squirtle's move-set & Ivysaur's feel of fighting than Charizard. Really hope the characters return in some way being perfected through DLC.
I figure Blastoise and Venusaur might be an "evolved form" of Squirtle and Ivysaur for the following reasons:
1. Smash 4 lacks heavyweights. Literally the heaviest newcomers are average weight at best (sans the Mii Fighters, which can be in any weight class). Keeping veteran heavyweights in Snake, Ganondorf, Wario, and Mewtwo, and making Squirtle and Ivysaur evolve into heavyweights would diversify the roster with the weights, which is something the roster definitely needs (given everyone seems to have a dang near identical weight).
2. Promotional reasons. Like Blastoise and Venusaur are advertised more than Squirtle and Ivysaur. Add in the Mega Evolution factor, and that increases tenfold.
3. New moveset potential. Blastoise could use his 2 EPIC CANNONS, whereas Venusaur could use much stronger variations of moves Ivysaur used.
4. The way feud of Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur makes money, attracts eyes, and is always a focus. This will always be the case for however long Pokémon is popular. It is the definitive Pokémon rivalry.

Regardless, I'm fine either way with Squirtle/Blastoise or Ivysaur/Venusaur. I just don't want their unique moveset, skillset, and playstyle totally wiped from existence while IMO inferior character builds in the likes of Charizard and other (unconfirmed) veteran characters lives on. From a gameplay perspective (which is my mental focus), I don't understand it.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
Mewtwo > Sceptile > Any other Pokémon > Jigglypuff
I was never a fan of hers or his in Smash. I didn't like her/him in the Pokémon series either. Should she/he be cut from Smash? Eh, I don't see why she/he should unless it's due to time constraints. She/he has supporters, but at the same time, she/he is one of the most least liked veteran characters.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Oy. Let me get a word in here.

First off, anybody saying Jigglypuff should get cut because "she's not relevant", I'd like to say:

Prease take a look at this!

sheik pic.png

Not being relevant to things right now has never been shown to be a factor in a character's removal. Sheik is a heavy indication of that. Not to mention, Jigglypuff has been giving the Fairy type, which is brand new to Pokemon X/Y, the newest games in the series.

Mewtwo is the most wanted character. Worldwide. He outranks literally any other character in contention if we're talking about the number of requests. There is no competition. Mewtwo has the unique properties and has proved himself to be a unique character in Smash, even if his moveset was awful. He can be easily fixed.

I have nothing against Sceptile. I like the Pokemon and I think he'd be fun. But the reasoning people use to put him over the other two is just...silly.

1) There was never any stipulation that there HAS to be a typing trio. Just because Ivysaur was a grass type doesn't mean that Sceptile absolutely must be in the game. It's the exact same thing as the fans who think the weapons triangle needs to be represented. It absolutely does not. It's not important.

There were two Electric types in Melee. Overlapping types wasn't an issue then, and there is nothing indicating something being amiss now.

2) As @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 said, we do not play as the games these characters come from. While they inherently represent the series they originated from, we generally get characters for the abilities that Sakurai sees them for. That's not to say that Sceptile doesn't have these abilities (I think he does), but I also don't think that he would be picked solely to fill arbitrary requirements that were never stipulated by Sakurai himself.

This means typing trio isn't important, and that series representation is unimportant. Generation 3 and probably 5 will be passed over. Gen 2 was originally in the game with Pichu, but he's not there anymore. So If Sceptile doesn't get in, Smash will still have characters from half of the Generations of Pokemon. That's not bad, especially when a lot of the most popular choices come from the first generation. Hence why Mewtwo is the most popular choice.

If we're going to "represent" OR/AS with Sceptile, why not "represent" Heart Gold and Soul Silver with Feraligatr? It's an arbitrary requirement. I will also say that I would need to require proof of Sceptile being likely, because beyond arbitrary things that have so far had no effect on anything Pokemon related in Smash Bros, there is pretty much nothing I can think of.

Again, I like Sceptile. I think he'd be fun. But fans are greatly overstating his chances. A lot.

Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. All the way.

Last edited:

Gene

You're a vegetable
NNID
Fairlight92
3DS FC
3411-0266-8945

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
What I had explained to user John Knight before was that, as a move set, Jigglypuff is amazing. As an intellectual Property, she is complete ****.
We don't play as "intellectual properties", we play as characters.

Everything Jigglypuff does fits Jigglypuff and only Jigglypuff, PERIOD!!!

Besides that, when was the last time anyone working on a Smash game or talking about a Smash game or playing a Smash game ever used the word "Intellectual Property"=???

You are literally making up reasons to justify King Boo "replacing" Jigglypuff in Smash at this point.

And for the record, "replacement characters" is something that has never happened before in Smash.

Last edited:

shinhed-echi

Smash Hero
NNID
punchtropics
3DS FC
5301-0890-0238
My ideal Pokemon character inclusion would be:

:pt: He would NOT be a transformation based character, he'd be more like somwehere between a Rosalina/Olimar hyhbrid where he can summon his Pokemon OR pull a Cream the Rabbit type moveset where his Pokemon attack for him (as attack animations) while he simply points his finger.

Ideally, his moveset would include:
:001: Grabs + Tether Zair
:004: Smash attacks (a fire version of Squirtle's Brawl smash attacks)
:007: Specials (same as in P:M)
:039: Aerials (same as always)
:172: Jabs+Tilts (Add a little electric effect to them, and make his attacks travel a few steps forward and upward respectively)
:150: FINAL SMASH (A seriousy overpowered version of Melee's Mewtwo)

--

Now that's out of the way, I might as well choose :mewtwomelee: because people will appreciate it more. And it's the closest thing to a Pokemon villain. I have major respects for :jigglypuffmelee:, but I don't see people getting too excited for her.

I honestly don't see Sceptile happening.

Johnknight1

NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
it's no character's fault that Mewtwo was left out of Brawl, Mewtwo was a very unpopular character so he was seemingly judged to not be of high priority.
The reason Mewtwo was cut is because of time restraints caused by the SSE taking up 60% of the time, money, resources, and focus on Brawl's development. Mewtwo's design also had many glitches. Both of these heavily contributed to Mewtwo being cut.

Also, Mewtwo was a lot more wanted back in the day than veterans like Young/Toon Link (I was the biggest Toon Link fan in the world, so I know), Ganondorf (yes, I am going that far), Sheik, Jigglypuff (I don't know why), Ness, the Ice Climbers, and Mr. Game & Watch, all of whom returned.

The whole "muh recuncy" "muh sales" "muh retros" "muh hate of clones" movement made it to where Mewtwo was easily a choice everyone could agree on should be back. Ironically, this whole ideaology got shot in the face, as 3 of the cuts were obvious ones (Roy, Pichu, and Dr. Mario), while the 4th in Mewtwo... eh.

Yet, these opinions are still more popular than actually intelligent ones.

Masonomace

NNID
Masonomace
I'd rather see Bulbasaur, Charmander, and Squirtle as DLC than Blastoise or Venusaur.

That way I could potentially see this in action.

Naruto Shippuden 333 Sub Español HD
I like<3 but then compared to Mega Evolution promotion through Smash Bros., I'd rather have a FinalSmash proc being MegaVenusaur & MegaBlastoise. MegaCharizardX / Y obviously.
I didn't even notice you saying "rep", lol. I mean, if you say it in the context of talking about said character and it's character specific, chances are it's not an issue. If you're talking about it like "by the square root of 9 squared pi E 15 Omaha Breakdown, we can only have 6 Pokémon reps", then you got an issue... and you probably wanna see a doctor for it! :laugh:

I figure Blastoise and Venusaur might be an "evolved form" of Squirtle and Ivysaur for the following reasons:
1. Smash 4 lacks heavyweights. Literally the heaviest newcomers are average weight at best (sans the Mii Fighters, which can be in any weight class). Keeping veteran heavyweights in Snake, Ganondorf, Wario, and Mewtwo, and making Squirtle and Ivysaur evolve into heavyweights would diversify the roster with the weights, which is something the roster definitely needs (given everyone seems to have a dang near identical weight).
2. Promotional reasons. Like Blastoise and Venusaur are advertised more than Squirtle and Ivysaur. Add in the Mega Evolution factor, and that increases tenfold.
3. New moveset potential. Blastoise could use his 2 EPIC CANNONS, whereas Venusaur could use much stronger variations of moves Ivysaur used.
4. The way feud of Blastoise, Charizard, and Venusaur makes money, attracts eyes, and is always a focus. This will always be the case for however long Pokémon is popular. It is the definitive Pokémon rivalry.

Regardless, I'm fine either way with Squirtle/Blastoise or Ivysaur/Venusaur. I just don't want their unique moveset, skillset, and playstyle totally wiped from existence while IMO inferior character builds in the likes of Charizard and other (unconfirmed) veteran characters lives on. From a gameplay perspective (which is my mental focus), I don't understand it.
I don't have that mathematical challenge limitation of "6 only, never more than Mario". I guess that's one issue less of a reason to check up with my doc.:estatic:

Already talking about "evolving" Squirtle's & Ivysaur's meta game-play style I like. Heavyweights are actually rare in Smash Bros., or that most of the "heavy" weights have a floaty feel to them as well, Ridley most likely going to be a prime example of this including Bowser from Brawl. Continuing the Heavyweight topic the scaling per character & their difference of weight not accounting for horizontal mobility, vertical mobility, falling speed, DI capability with their weight, etc. seemed okay until hitting the noticing the values after Jigglypuff being the lightest character in Brawl. The weight number jumps up abit too much & has this constant slow rising ladder of numbers that doesn't even make the knock-back value feel right. Bowser even if being the most heavy is still floaty therefore dying to blast zone after being launched by an Ike F-smash while DDD not being as heavy fast-falls much faster with multiple jumps making him the more "heavy" character. I hope they change this for future heavyweights.

Off-topic: For discussing Blastoise I noticed a ton of Bowser-like moves we had from Brawl involving his carapace / shell got removed for badass drop kicks. Could this mean something with the past Squirtle using his shell for attack moves?!?! Cannons shooting water projectiles, with the possible game-play implementation of weak water pushing knock-back to strong water power shooting farther pushing back & knock-back hit-stun properties. Blastoise has tons of move-set potential. There's always the Mega Evo promotion to account too.
Venusaur in the same sense of heavy as Blastoise can work, with slower more powerful verion moves of Ivysaur's vines, spores, & body attacks not to mention ofc grass-use coming into play. Ivysaur's move-set design as a quadruped leaves wanting it again very badly. Tethers in Sm4sh getting a buff leaves no reason for Venusaur to be shunned away from Brawl edge-hogs, having a powerful kit to battle the other Smash fighters having some zoning & seed / spore attacks since Venusaur's weight would surely increase past Ivysaur's but not needing to be Very Heavy, more towards Heavy so that past heavyweights can take that level of weight & go further beyond classifying the weight class more diverse.

Oy. Let me get a word in here.

First off, anybody saying Jigglypuff should get cut because "she's not relevant", I'd like to say:

Prease take a look at this!

View attachment 20540

Not being relevant to things right now has never been shown to be a factor in a character's removal. Sheik is a heavy indication of that. Not to mention, Jigglypuff has been giving the Fairy type, which is brand new to Pokemon X/Y, the newest games in the series.

Mewtwo is the most wanted character. Worldwide. He outranks literally any other character in contention if we're talking about the number of requests. There is no competition. Mewtwo has the unique properties and has proved himself to be a unique character in Smash, even if his moveset was awful. He can be easily fixed.

I have nothing against Sceptile. I like the Pokemon and I think he'd be fun. But the reasoning people use to put him over the other two is just...silly.

1) There was never any stipulation that there HAS to be a typing trio. Just because Ivysaur was a grass type doesn't mean that Sceptile absolutely must be in the game. It's the exact same thing as the fans who think the weapons triangle needs to be represented. It absolutely does not. It's not important.

There were two Electric types in Melee. Overlapping types wasn't an issue then, and there is nothing indicating something being amiss now.

2) As @ Johnknight1 Johnknight1 said, we do not play as the games these characters come from. While they inherently represent the series they originated from, we generally get characters for the abilities that Sakurai sees them for. That's not to say that Sceptile doesn't have these abilities (I think he does), but I also don't think that he would be picked solely to fill arbitrary requirements that were never stipulated by Sakurai himself.

This means typing trio isn't important, and that series representation is unimportant. Generation 3 and probably 5 will be passed over. Gen 2 was originally in the game with Pichu, but he's not there anymore. So If Sceptile doesn't get in, Smash will still have characters from half of the Generations of Pokemon. That's not bad, especially when a lot of the most popular choices come from the first generation. Hence why Mewtwo is the most popular choice.

If we're going to "represent" OR/AS with Sceptile, why not "represent" Heart Gold and Soul Silver with Feraligatr? It's an arbitrary requirement. I will also say that I would need to require proof of Sceptile being likely, because beyond arbitrary things that have so far had no effect on anything Pokemon related in Smash Bros, there is pretty much nothing I can think of.

Again, I like Sceptile. I think he'd be fun. But fans are greatly overstating his chances. A lot.

Jigglypuff and Mewtwo. All the way.
"a word" Sir / Ma'am you got quite the word.:smirk:
Purin is relevant in Smash, that's all that matters. Your point stands tall & proud.
*looks at sheik when you say, "Please take a look at this!"*
B-but. . .Sheik is Zelda & them being both in Smash isn't surprising.:shades: Oops for those who didn't know.

Agreeing on your point of Mewtwo, I move on to the next sentences.

Typing trio isn't important, but Sakurai putting in :4charizard: & :4greninja: & for now that being it for playable pokemon reveals, that definitely rustles up jimmies from grass fans, making them have the impulse of relying on Brawl's past gimmick with :pt: having all 3 kanto starters F, G, & W. The idea of the type trio of starters didn't even begin in Brawl, F, G, & W starters have been in Smash Bros. since 64, the idea of them being there since they were the original Kanto starters & their huge popularity triangle was very plausible. That just happened in Brawl for them being finally playable.
Never played FE games to know the weapon triangle but Paper-Rock-Scissors has been around since 1600's (apparently). It's Sword, Axe, & Spear right? Then again that's for FE, this being about Pokemon they're totally different. That point being compared only has the similarity of Paper-Rock-Scissors right now. Grass type being missing isn't just to fill that whim of random want, it's to return the unique element that grass delivered in Smash Bros.. Elemental, body attacks, weapon attacks, these are mainly the main-stream move-type attacks in Smash Bros. Any weapon-based attack can be thrown in the same category of Spear Axe or Sword. Axes & Spears being unique to the weapon-based moves, it's not as unique & different as Elemental-based attacks being Fire, Water, Grass, Electric, Freezing, Darkness, Slash from swords, Explosive, & Energy.

"If we're going to "represent" OR/AS with Sceptile, why not "represent" Heart Gold and Soul Silver with Feraligatr?"
. . .don't toy with my emotions.</////////////3 :cry::160::160::160:
But back to the quote, my past points posted don't even involve ORAS besides saying that Gen 3 & Gen 5 are underrepresented in the playable category.

I really wish I could give you solid points that confirm Sceptile without sounding like a leaker that would hint very strongly towards his debut, but sadly Idk, there's only small little details that hint toward Sceptile as a possbility, it ties more with everything else around happening, such as grass-like features returning to Smash Bros. through :4robinm:/:4robinf:'s Nosferatu, & Megaman's Leaf Shield from Woodman's weapon get, newcomers getting higher in numbers as each Smsh Bros. game hits installment, veterans being cut to make room space for those newcomers, Sakurai saying that it may very well happen.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom