• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
I just remember playing against my buddies back in the day when Melee first came out. We had a Link, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo main in the mix. I finally got some love in sm4sh with the many little improvements to Link, my Ganon friend doesn't play so I don't care about him, Falco still has his place, and now this guy finally comes back. I could never get the hang of playing Mewtwo before, and I doubt I'll play him much still, but I'm happy to see that come spring 2015, I'll get to throw bombs at that genetic freak again. :)

My only question is this. If I go to a friend's house that has Mewtwo unlocked and I want to play against them with my 3DS (without Mewtwo unlocked) can I still choose to fight as Mewtwo when I sync up? I assume I can, but I was just hoping someone could shed some light on how this most likely works.

Tojiro2

Smash Rookie
OMFG

Hopefully he won't be a Lucario clone, though my intuition tells me they will be somewhat similar D:

If he's a buffed up version of his Melee self then I'll be pleased.
Isnt Lucario more of a Mewtwo clone since Mewtwo came first? and was sorta similar at the time

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
I just remember playing against my buddies back in the day when Melee first came out. We had a Link, Ganondorf, Falco, and Mewtwo main in the mix. I finally got some love in sm4sh with the many little improvements to Link, my Ganon friend doesn't play so I don't care about him, Falco still has his place, and now this guy finally comes back. I could never get the hang of playing Mewtwo before, and I doubt I'll play him much still, but I'm happy to see that come spring 2015, I'll get to throw bombs at that genetic freak again. :)

My only question is this. If I go to a friend's house that has Mewtwo unlocked and I want to play against them with my 3DS (without Mewtwo unlocked) can I still choose to fight as Mewtwo when I sync up? I assume I can, but I was just hoping someone could shed some light on how this most likely works.
Odds are, you can. That's how it works with the unlockable characters now right? Never tested it.

My mind is so blown right now...

Isnt Lucario more of a Mewtwo clone since Mewtwo came first? and was sorta similar at the time
One of the points made in the previous Uncofirmed/Mewtwo thread was that they're not really all that the same except for the neutral B, but yes, in a sense Lucario would be a clone of Mewtwo, but overall, they're not similar enough to be considered clones.

Last edited:

CostLow

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
2509-2293-9367
Odds are, you can. That's how it works with the unlockable characters now right? Never tested it.

My mind is so blown right now...

One of the points made in the previous Uncofirmed/Mewtwo thread was that they're not really all that the same except for the neutral B, but yes, in a sense Lucario would be a clone of Mewtwo, but overall, they're not similar enough to be considered clones.
Ok. That works for me then. I won't be playing on my own as Mewtwo, but maybe in a friendlies environment I might. As for the clone thing. Where are people getting this? Is Lucario a clone of Samus? Or is Peach a clone of Link just because they pull out an item with their down-b? One similarity doesn't make it a clone. The fact that they are both awesome and from Pokemon must be the only reasons anyone thinks they are clones...

Ravioko

Smash Journeyman
NNID
RaviokoTheCat
3DS FC
1263-8771-0336
Switch FC
SW-0032-6272-2452
So what does Greninja survive off now? He has nothing left to drink.

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
I like Soren, AND he is of royal blood! But I wanted lords :<

Letting two master tacticians off at each other may not be the best thing though. Robin vs. Soren. Wow. The game would melt.
I can see where you're coming from. I just have a soft spot for Soren, and to be honest, I wanted/wished for his inclusion more than Robin's, even though it was obvious that having Robin made more sense.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
Ok. That works for me then. I won't be playing on my own as Mewtwo, but maybe in a friendlies environment I might. As for the clone thing. Where are people getting this? Is Lucario a clone of Samus? Or is Peach a clone of Link just because they pull out an item with their down-b? One similarity doesn't make it a clone. The fact that they are both awesome and from Pokemon must be the only reasons anyone thinks they are clones...
That makes people think they are because they even charge it so similar.

Oh my god you really like Mewtwo... I'm happy for you :)

Last edited:

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
Haha yeah. It's mostly due to Lucario replacing Mewtwo in Brawl and they both had the same neutral B. But nope, they're not even close to being clones.

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I am honestly shocked. Holy crap.

Now I just need a friend who has Smash 3DS lol or I will have to buy a 3DS myself.

al-LAYN

Smash Cadet
So what does Greninja survive off now? He has nothing left to drink.
Implying that he won't be drinking the sweat and tears of Mewtwo when the latter gets his genetic ass handed by Greninja. :awesome:

Last edited:

GigaBowserXyZ

Smash Journeyman
I just want to say congratulations to all the Mewtwo fans who stood strong all the way to his announcement.

FinalArcadia

Smash Cadet
NNID
FinalArcadia
That announcement couldn't have been more perfect due to a) Mewtwo not even being a serious leak prior to this and b) all those fake-outs like seeing Mewtwo's trophy and waiting until after Bowser Jr.'s trailer.

Welcome back, old friend. Welcome back. hopefully you get buffed too

U-Throw

Smash Lord
NNID
GKB21101

OH. MY. GOD. I cannot describe the hype I am feeling! Everything was too epic. Special Orders and Master Fortress and Damage Zones and (especially) the new and improved Stage Builder But this topped all of it my a metric crap-ton. My most wanted character finally made it! YES! I'm gonna go calm down somewhere before I die of a hype-induced heart attack.

Whia

Smash Apprentice
OMFG

Hopefully he won't be a Lucario clone, though my intuition tells me they will be somewhat similar D:

If he's a buffed up version of his Melee self then I'll be pleased.
I wouldn't count on that. They wouldn't have him in development for an extra ~5 months if he was a semi-clone.

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
Did anyone else mistake Mario's shield in the Bowser Jr. reveal as Mewtwo protecting Mario? XD

ORVO5

Smash Lord
3DS FC
4785-5813-6727
That announcement couldn't have been more perfect due to a) Mewtwo not even being a serious leak prior to this and b) all those fake-outs like seeing Mewtwo's trophy and waiting until after Bowser Jr.'s trailer.

Welcome back, old friend. Welcome back. hopefully you get buffed too
And we can't forget 2013 when Sakurai mentioned "he's thinking about it" in regards to Mewtwo as well as the Greninja shadow where everyone thought it was Mewtwo. Then the 3DS version came out and it seemed all hope was lost but nope! THANK YOU SAKURAI!!

I'm pretty sure he'll get buffed or at least a remade moveset. He already got a new model, besides, didn't Sakurai said if they were gonna bring stuff from older games/Melee, they would have to build them from the ground up? Yup, Mewtwo is gonna be all new and shiny when we get him in Spring. YES!!!

Last edited:

SaucyDancer

Smash Ace
NNID
SaucyDancer
3DS FC
0576-4794-0041
Also can I just say how perfect his model looks. That is the Mewtwo design I have wanted to see in Smash for a long time. Thank you based Sakurai...

fenyx4

Smash Journeyman
Too early to say, but it was definitely a pretty masteful trolling on Sakurai's part. Because as soon as I saw that trophy I was all... Mewtwo :'( ........... but oh man.... little did I know..
I felt as if it was a nice deal of foreshadowing for Mewtwo's eventual/subsequent reveal (like what happened in the Nintendo Direct with the "Substitute" item from the Pokemon franchise cameoing before being revealed as part of Greninja's moveset), although I would have felt it as trolling had Mewtwo not been revealed. XD

On a side-note, Mewtwo's "reveal trailer" (I'm hoping that, despite being a veteran fighter, he gets an actual introductory trailer due to what he has endured all of these years) was just wonderful in simplicity and coolness (with the surreal polygons and what not). :) It's like Mewtwo doesn't even need to do anything (having such a recognizable frame) - as soon as the camera panned upward over the feet and the tail, I was like "OMG MEWTWO?!? I bet it'll be just a new Assist Trophy cameo or something; sigh... Wait, he's a RETURNING FIGHTER?! DLC is confirmed?!" :eek::crazy:

And we can't forget 2013 when Sakurai mentioned "he's thinking about it" in regards to Mewtwo as well as the Greninja shadow where everyone thought it was Mewtwo. Then the 3DS version came out and it seemed all hope was lost but nope! THANK YOU SAKURAI!!

I'm pretty sure he'll get buffed or at least a remade moveset. He already got a new model, besides, didn't Sakurai said if they were gonna bring stuff from older games/Melee, they would have to build them from the ground up? Yup, Mewtwo is gonna be all new and shiny when we get him in Spring. YES!!!
Thank you, Masahiro Sakurai and the development team of Super Smash Bros. 4 for bringing back the Genetic Pokemon, Mewtwo! Wow, I almost forgot about that.. XD Admittedly, I was irate about Mewtwo's initial exclusion from Super Smash Bros. 4 (particularly since that 2013 remark seemingly existed for no reason), but just now...wow.. Much apologies..although I still wish that everything was on disk, as I tend to abhor the concept of "DLC" in practice...

Also, sorry @Zipzo! Embarrass (I anticipate he'll be getting a lot of those remarks after his apology to the community about his "contentious" tweet regarding Mewtwo's status in Super Smash Bros. 4 XD)

And how is Mewtwo not trending (enough) yet? Anyways, #1 post on Reddit (Mewtwo in SSB4) in practically less than a (few?) minute(s); yeah! :colorful:

Last edited:

Shuriblur

Smash Journeyman
No. It is presumably just you.
Though it is odd that Mario is player 2 in a trailer.
Maybe blue looks better in that lighting? They also might have went with just what looks good on Mario.

Anyways, super excited to play Mewtwo in the new game! All my hype was worth it.

EgeDal

Smash Journeyman
I am honestly shocked. Holy crap.

Now I just need a friend who has Smash 3DS lol or I will have to buy a 3DS myself.
I think we can co-op with this, can't we?

you have wii u i have 3ds, it'd be nice if we both get mewtwo xD

Last edited:

Ridleyisforever

Smash Cadet
Me and my 2 brothers own a copy of SSB3D. And we also own a Wii U. Will all 3 of us be able to download Mewtwo? Or just one of us?

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
This is actually a really good question! I'd assume it'd only be one 3DS, but I could be and hopefully am wrong. It's possible if you register all your systems on Club Nintendo it could work that way. I really have no idea

Ridleyisforever

Smash Cadet
This is actually a really good question! I'd assume it'd only be one 3DS, but I could be and hopefully am wrong. It's possible if you register all your systems on Club Nintendo it could work that way. I really have no idea
Are we sure it's through Club Nintendo? I assumed it would unlock him just by connecting the 3DS and the Wii U console while playing Smash.

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
After remaining so optimistic all this time, I feel rewarded! Oh, his reveal made me nearly die of happiness on the spot! I don't know how he'll fight, but I will try my hardest to main him!

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
Are we sure it's through Club Nintendo? I assumed it would unlock him just by connecting the 3DS and the Wii U console while playing Smash.
That's what I'd like to think, but then you could hook up as many 3DSes as you liked. Which to me seems like the best option, but since Nintendo has been pulling tight on its pursestrings recently, I'm inclined to think otherwise

gamer8

Smash Lord
Did anyone else mistake Mario's shield in the Bowser Jr. reveal as Mewtwo protecting Mario? XD
I did, I had just been watching Pokemon the first movie again the other day so I had that shield he used on my mind and plus I was really desperately clinging onto hope all these years that he would return. I was getting really sad during this direct because I thought if Mewtwo wasn't revealed today it might be the end, since these news were ending tower of smash completely as well. But then as soon as I saw those feet... I'll tell you right now I may never react so enormously to something else again.

This has been such a long and difficult journey for Mewtwo fans like us, having to deal with people saying he was replaced and would never come back, people making jokes about him and "drinking on our tears", things like that. But we finally made it, its been almost 7 years since the initial disappointment of Mewtwo not being in Brawl, but finally he has returned. I'm so proud to be a part of the Mewtwo fanbase and to have experienced this with all of you. Thank you Sakurai and thank you to everyone who never left Mewtwo's side, we did it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom