• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Mewtwo complaint thread

Fun aside, do you think Mewtwo is a viable character?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
The biggest problem I have with mewtwo so far is getting in on a lot of characters. It's really weird because he should have some good range at least you'd think so, but most of his range is kinda short and that's a shame considering how BIG and LIGHT he is. Most of the games on FG have been a struggle to really find out a good/safe way of getting in.

The weird thing is he's super fun. Like amazingly so- He just feels like he gets bodied too easily and has no safe options to help.
STOP GOING IN! Mewtwo is not an aggressive character. Shadow Ball + Confusion means that in 90% of match ups, you can play on defense, which is the better side of the coin in Smash 4. The thing about Mewtwo's combos and damage output is that he is just as good at following up on moves on the defense as the offense. Mewtwo is also more likely to start those combo chains on the defense. Even his kill moves are better on the defense.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
yeah.. it also doesn't help that he has a lot of misleading hitboxes.(such as most of fair's energy wave thing not existing and nair not being anywhere near as disjointed as it looks like it should be.)
What? F-Air's energy slash is a hitbox. If any hitbox is misleading it's B-Air.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
^pretty sure i've seen about half of it go right through the opponent when i've used it. one of the first things i tested in training mode on day one even.

Last edited:

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
^pretty sure i've seen about half of it go right through the opponent when i've used it. one of the first things i tested in training mode on day one even.
F-Air also has a Z-Axis component to it. Sometimes when you land during an attack with a Z axis animation, the attack doesn't hit the opponent as it hasn't reached the opponent's body on that axis (this can also happen if you're jumping, you might jump over your opponent and not hit him even though the slash's visual effect seemed to have graced him).

My whole neutral game revolves around spacing D-Tilts and F-Airs, I use them all time, I know for a fact that max range is exactly what the slash shows, it's just the Hitbox isn't there as soon as it shows it. It's about timing, not range. The move is so fast though that the "timing" is just a couple of frames difference.

This happens to any attack that comes from the Z-Axis (like Greninja's F-Air), also this is neutralized in "flat" stages, which would mean that F-Air would hit on a sooner frame on a "flat" stage.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
STOP GOING IN! Mewtwo is not an aggressive character. Shadow Ball + Confusion means that in 90% of match ups, you can play on defense, which is the better side of the coin in Smash 4. The thing about Mewtwo's combos and damage output is that he is just as good at following up on moves on the defense as the offense. Mewtwo is also more likely to start those combo chains on the defense. Even his kill moves are better on the defense.
Against a godly little mac? Good luck.

srn347

Smash Apprentice
Mewtwo's moves are versatile, though his stats are not. He has projectile options, but lacks the bulk or speed of a camper. Also fwiw, mewtwo's back throw is so good against little mac, it kills (by failed recovery) at like 50% near the edge.

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
Against a godly little mac? Good luck.
Why is anyone approaching Mac, this seems like the worst idea ever. I don't know of a single Mac match where I didn't play defense. Why? Cause Mac is 10x better at playing defense than offense.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
yeah.. i think he means moresolly that you can't always keep the distance from him in that matchup.

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
yeah.. i think he means moresolly that you can't always keep the distance from him in that matchup.
I've fought a lot of people that I know personally with Mewtwo that have similar skill levels and use different characters, and to be honest. I think Little Mac is his worst match up. Little Mac's frame data, kill power, and reach(which is basically the same as Mewtwo's) just beat him out on the ground. I've even played against Sheiks and not had nearly the same amount of trouble(in fact I was even with the Sheik player that I know is roughly the same skill as myself).

This is incredibly ironic to me cause it is a similarity that Mewtwo shares with Lucario. Lucario hates Mac for the very same reasons.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Mewtwo has Shadow Ball though, and he can kill Little Mac early by getting him off-stage, I doubt it's that bad you'll just have to really watch the range on Mac's everything.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Can his Smashes clash with a fully charged Shadow Ball then? If so, that's a definiate problem for Mewtwo.
During a smash attack Little Mac has Super Armor during the attack.

So if he gets hit by Shadow Ball in that state he won't be launched or flinch at all.

Much like Dorf's Warlock Punch.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Yeah Super Armor am aware of it, but I doubt it'll be able to resist a fully charged Shadow Ball.

Ryu Myuutsu

Smash Champion
NNID
BahamurShin
3DS FC
3668-9945-1996
During a smash attack Little Mac has Super Armor during the attack.

So if he gets hit by Shadow Ball in that state he won't be launched or flinch at all.

Much like Dorf's Warlock Punch.
And exactly why would one put oneself in situation like that against Little Mac? I can hardly visualize how the Super Armor would be a problem against a charged Shadow Ball, as long as you are at a safe distance.
I know that Mewtwo is currently struggling against many characters, but please when discussing matchups let's stop assuming that the Mewtwo player in every scenario is stupid and doesn't know what they are doing.

Last edited:

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86
I am getting that, but like other's have said with misleading hitboxes it feels like he should have no problem getting in. That should at least be some option to it.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Yeah Super Armor am aware of it, but I doubt it'll be able to resist a fully charged Shadow Ball.
Oh it's happened. Main issue with Mac is it can be difficult to keep away. Despite some people saying that's what you should do. In a FG setting.

Psyruby

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Psyruby
3DS FC
3007-8155-8661
I am getting that, but like other's have said with misleading hitboxes it feels like he should have no problem getting in. That should at least be some option to it.
I wouldnt worry about those hitboxes in the longrun. Other than Fair, the other hitboxes will be fixed after a patch. Many, MANY other moves with visual whiffs before were fixed, and I assume Mewtwo will be no different.

SleuthMechanism

Smash Ace
NNID
SleuthMechanism
3DS FC
4184-2631-5815
Switch FC
SW-7949-7248-8280
on the current discussion: Admittedly little mac is probably the one rushdown character i find actually goes about even against mewtwo. Both have tools to kill eachother quickly, really.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
Why is Mewtwo so tall? That is my only complaint, and no, I don't find his floaty-ness(?) a problem because it helps his recovery.

godogod

Smash Ace
How many people believe his weight is going to get buffed(as well as a few other things)? Sadly, I don't think he will. Sakurai has yet to buff a character's attributes like speed or weight. All he has done so far is slightly change damage %, frames, and a few other things.

Why is Mewtwo so tall? That is my only complaint, and no, I don't find his floaty-ness(?) a problem because it helps his recovery.
He's 6'7" in the pokemon games.

Nothing wrong with him being tall. But being one of the lightest AND the tallest is just a bad combo.

Last edited:

phantom man

Smash Journeyman
How many people believe his weight is going to get buffed(as well as a few other things)? Sadly, I don't think he will. Sakurai has yet to buff a character's attributes like speed or weight. All he has done so far is slightly change damage %, frames, and a few other things.

Nothing wrong with him being tall. But being one of the lightest AND the tallest is just a bad combo.
Yeah, thats what I was trying to say. Thanks!

Enrel

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Kyurian86

The funny thing is Charizard is 200lbs roughly in the pokemon games - Mewtwo is close to 270lb but is lighter than Charizard.

I wouldnt worry about those hitboxes in the longrun. Other than Fair, the other hitboxes will be fixed after a patch. Many, MANY other moves with visual whiffs before were fixed, and I assume Mewtwo will be no different.
Well, I can give you they might be fixed in the long run but right now it's extremely frustrating and misleading. This a problem at this moment so it's fair game to complain about it. I think with better hitboxes we'll see Mewtwo being able to be more aggressive but with weird moves defense really feels like the only option for him. Never mained mewtwo in Melee but wasn't he more aggressive in Melee?

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mewtwo is the ultimate Pokemon created after years of horrific gene splicing and you guys are thinking about his weight? What are you, ladies? Are you going to talk about his hair cut next?

Mewtwo is very powerful and only a true Pokemon master can catch and control Mewtwo. Giovanni tried but failed because his heart is not pure like that of a true Pokemon master.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Mewtwo is the ultimate Pokemon created after years of horrific gene splicing and you guys are thinking about his weight? What are you, ladies? Are you going to talk about his hair cut next?

Mewtwo is very powerful and only a true Pokemon master can catch and control Mewtwo. Giovanni tried but failed because his heart is not pure like that of a true Pokemon master.
Weight is a deciding factor on how far you are launched in this game which is a big deal.

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463

Isn't weight important in any fighting sports ? Take sumos : they need to be fat, while still being muscular, to win. Weight is important man, especially in Smash.

Mewtwo itself...well, it's a 50/50 for me. On one side, he's super fun to play, with lot of stuff to do. His air game is fantastic, making him quite enjoyable. And he has a lot of tricks to make him good.
But on the other, he's so weak to characters with combos like Fox. He gets bodied easily and dies super fast. Sometimes, I need to switch onto Mac, just to have a chance to compete against those characters. It's hard, especially when you want to be good with Mewtwo.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Isn't weight important in any fighting sports ? Take sumos : they need to be fat, while still being muscular, to win.
Mewtwo has psychic powers enabling him to toss his enemies away even when they are very heavy. Weight is not important because a real Pokemon master can use the strengths of his Pokemon and Mewtwo has many strengths that only a true Pokemon master can use.

For example when Mewtwo air dodges he disappears puzzling his opponents and making him literary invincible. How can he be launched away when he cannot even be hit?
Another example: Pressing the R button while on the ground will normally make Mewtwo use his psychic powers to summon a strong barrier attack that can block literary anything but grabs. You will need the right timing or you will get a weaker version of Barrier, one that probably resembles the one that the inferior Pokemon Mew has. But a true Pokemon master has no problem getting the true Barrier. And if the opponent tries to grab Mewtwo while he is using his Barrier then you can move the control stick down while holding R to make Mewtwo use Detect, this move renders him literary invincible like the ultimate Pokemon that he is.

Weight has no meaning when you have 154 special attack.

Last edited:

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
If Mewtwo is psychic why can't he use his powah to make itself as heavy as Bowser on hit?

*flails arms in the air*

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Mewtwo has psychic powers enabling him to toss his enemies away even when they are very heavy. Weight is not important because a real Pokemon master can use the strengths of his Pokemon and Mewtwo has many strengths that only a true Pokemon master can use.

For example when Mewtwo air dodges he disappears puzzling his opponents and making him literary invincible. How can he be launched away when he cannot even be hit?
Another example: Pressing the R button while on the ground will normally make Mewtwo use his psychic powers to summon a strong barrier attack that can block literary anything but grabs. You will need the right timing or you will get a weaker version of Barrier, one that probably resembles the one that the inferior Pokemon Mew has. But a true Pokemon master has no problem getting the true Barrier. And if the opponent tries to grab Mewtwo while he is using his Barrier then you can move the control stick down while holding R to make Mewtwo use Detect, this move renders him literary invincible like the ultimate Pokemon that he is.

Weight has no meaning when you have 154 special attack.

I'm afraid to say this to you, but this the Mewtwo in Smash isn't the Mewtwo in games or in the anime : it's a toy.
So, by all means, Mewtwo is not completely accurate. He's character is there of course, but some logic that were concluded by vision went on his. Mewtwo floats and flies in the anime, so Sakurai thought that making him light would make things interresting, and in a way, logic. He himself knows that Pokedex is kinda lying or inaccurate on a lot of parts. So making Mewtwo light makes it easier and more interresting.

My point is, you're glorifying Mewtwo too much. If Mewtwo was really fighting, he would be one of the most powerful characters in the game, wich he isn't. Since this Mewtwo is only a "toy", his stats does have a lot of impact. But weight does. In a game where you need to stay on the stage to survive, Mewtwo is putting himself in a bizarre situation. He sure can go back on the stage easily, but can't stay on it for too long, since his weight gives him a disadvantage.

In short, glorifying Mewtwo won't make his weaknesses disappear. Weight does matter in this game, so don't act like it's nothing, especially for a character like Mewtwo.

1FC0

Smash Lord
Mewtwo often remains motionless to conserve his energy. When you press B you can make Mewtwo do this so that he will be able to unleash his full power in battle. You think that someone can knock Mewtwo off the stage when he releases his full power just because he is light? Do not make me laugh. His opponents will be too busy getting owned to do any knocking off stage.

Besides that, Mewtwo fights smart. Because Mewtwo's battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, he only thinks about defeating his foes. No one fights smarter than Mewtwo.

His weight does not matter because this Pokemon was created solely for battling.

Last edited:

Luggy

Drawing like a tramp
NNID
Luggy_Bros
3DS FC
4184-3014-1463
Mewtwo often remains motionless to conserve his energy. When you press B you can make Mewtwo do this so that he will be able to unleash his full power in battle. You think that someone can knock Mewtwo off the stage when he releases his full power just because he is light? Do not make me laugh. His opponents will be too busy getting owned to do any knocking off stage.

Besides that, Mewtwo fights smart. Because Mewtwo's battle abilities were raised to the ultimate level, he only thinks about defeating his foes. No one fights smarter than Mewtwo.

His weight does not matter because this Pokemon was created solely for battling.

Are you really sure that just because Mewtwo is smart and powerful, it means he will always win ? There's truth in this, yes, but Mewtwo is still suffering from being light and easy to combo.

Playing smarter is the best way to win, and as a Little Mac player, I clearly know how much it's important to play that way. However, my point still stand : you're glorifying Mewtwo to the point that he's a god, or over powered. He's, like its says on its trophy "a glass canon". Meaning that, even if you play smart, you're always on a 50/50. Either you body your ennemy, or you get bodied by the ennemy.

So, again, stop glorifying Mewtwo, and please talk normally.

MagiusNecros

Smash Master
Ganon can just fsmash at the edge when Mewtwo is at 50% and not even Arceus can save him from that. :4ganondorf:

srn347

Smash Apprentice
All pokemon are created with a weakness, and mewtwo is no exception. What do you expect? He is weak to dark.

1FC0

Smash Lord
All pokemon are created with a weakness, and mewtwo is no exception. What do you expect? He is weak to dark.
Mewtwo was created without weaknesses because Dark was created after Mewtwo and Ghost had no effect against Psychic in gen 1 and bug's strongest move was Twineedle, it did 50 BP in total which is so weak that even SE it is as strong as a normal effective EQ. Not to mention only Beedrill learned it who was completely checked by Mewtwo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom