• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metroid fans and why it's a dark time for us... (Pun not intended)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
I stand here as a REAAAALLY big Metroid fan, like many of you. There are many Ridley supporters out there (Myself included) and we were all let down today. I understand that we got in waaaaay over our heads about him, let's be honest, though... we grasped at straws for a long time to just HOPE believe that Ridley was in. I will say, there was some convincing evidence here and there... but deep down I knew he'd never make it.

Now what I'm about to say may have Metroid fans, Kid Icarus fans and just random people shouting at me for days on end, but...
I wanted Dark Samus in more than anyone new that appeared in this game...
That's right.
Anyone.

Dark Samus was a perfect Metroid villain to put in the game if Ridley wasn't "possible". Let's face it, if you look at how Dark Samus is in the Prime games, she's got loads of things that she could have in her potential moveset that could be 100% different to Samus now. (She has her Phazon multi-shot beam, her jump meteors, ground spike shield etc.) Instead? We got Dark Pit and Dark Samus as a god damn assist trophy. We got 2 Kid Icarus representatives in total -A game with a much smaller fan base than the Troid over here- with a villain shoehorned in. It's like Sakurai doesn't care about Metroid sometimes. Yeah, sure, he gave Samus (ZeroSuit and otherwise) some nice costumes, but in the long run, what's that compared to a representative? Not to mention a choice of two representatives that people would love? It hurts man, it really hurts.

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
Dark Pit isn't a villain. He is an antihero.
But yeah, Metroid and DK have been let down a LOT. All Stars dude. Everyone is a star. So if the stars get in, why leave the constellations out?

ultimatekoopa

Smash Ace
"Kid Icarus gets a new game? it is getting 90% of the content!!!, DK gets a new game? I don't like the idea of adding more content from a more succesful franchise, it is not even getting an AT" this is basically what Sakurai was thinking
The only way we will see Ridley or a new dk character is if Sakurai develops a metroid or dk game, that way, we will have at least 2 new characters from both franchises or at least get an original stage for the 3ds

Last edited:

GGSoapMan

Smash Rookie
In all honesty, Ridley was only filling the Metroid-hype void left by the Dark Samus trophy announcement in the Direct. Dark Samus was my most wanted player in Brawl as well as this game. Dark times indeed.

Aunt Jemima

It's ya girl
I'm just mad that Dark Pit is a ****ing clone. I mean, I expected it, but I thought he would, at the VERY LEAST, be a semi-clone like Wolf and Lucas (sniffs).

I didn't support Ridley at all, but I'm really disappointed that he's not in mainly because all of you Ridley supporters are let down.

I hope you guys eventually get Ridley...

RIDLEY4DLC

Speculator

Smash Ace
Mother just got its character representation slashed in half and hasn't seen a game in eight years and will likely never see another game again. I like to think Metroid is doing pretty well for itself.

Crescendo

Smash Journeyman
Mother just got its character representation slashed in half and hasn't seen a game in eight years and will likely never see another game again. I like to think Metroid is doing pretty well for itself.
We also can't forget about Star Fox who also got one of its representatives cut, and that is even with a new Star Fox on the way.
The same also applies to DK, one of Nintendo's biggest franchises, who got absolutely nothing. (EDIT : And I can't believe I forgot about the ICs who lost their only rep and pretty much the only thing that kept their franchise alive. Same for Golden Sun & Custom Robo, with their ATs being MIA leading to believe their franchise has completely disappeared from Smash)
It's an unequal representation around all franchises and frankly, I feel like it makes the whole thing a little boring.

Last edited:

DoctorDub

Smash Journeyman
NNID
DrDubious
What? Did I miss a Ridley Deconfirmation?
Streamers got the "All characters unlocked" notification when completing the roster we saw in the leak. There were no more. No Mewtwo, no Isaac, No Ridley.

Last edited:

DakotaBonez

The Depraved Optimist
Streamers got the "All characters unlocked" notification when completing the roster we saw in the leak. There were no more. No Mewtwo, no Isaac, No Ridley.
I'll be in denial til the very end!
There's too much blank space on the bottom...
I suspected Sakurai would lock away some characters until the game was available everywhere. It may not be immediately after the North American release, it may be a month later, or not until next year after the new 3DS comes out. But the probability of DLC seems higher than ever what with freakin LINK appearing in MARIO KART as DLC!

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
So Sakurai was never trolling about " may appear at any second!". It's all the fan's fault for trying to still believe.

Last edited:

Ridles the Space Pirate

Smash Journeyman
DLC and a new director for the next game is all I have hope for now...
Seriously, Metroid wasn't the only series that got screwed.
So did Starfox, DK, Earthbound, and Ice Climbers.
Any supporters of those franchises are probably just as mad as we are.

Ghirahilda

♥Smash Beauty♥
NNID
Marcelinho21
Ice Climbers being cut is 3DS's fault. I knew this was gonna happen. Making cross build games between platforms is and never will be a good idea for me.

Terrazi Terrajin

Smash Ace
Dark Pit isn't a villain. He is an antihero.
But yeah, Metroid and DK have been let down a LOT. All Stars dude. Everyone is a star. So if the stars get in, why leave the constellations out?
Dark pit is not an antihero he's a pallet swap gone clone character.

Frank Weast

Smash Cadet
NNID
devilhunterx2
I kinda feel that people are overreacting we have Samus and Zero suit and that's it, but besides dark samus who could we have really gotten that would've been a good addition

ShadowX39

Smash Rookie
I've said I was impressed by the fight Ridley fans have put, and I believe they should not give in until the very end!

There are two Smash Brothers, this has never happened before - just like Sakurai randomly deciding to make third parties starters.

Sakurai has no rules. Army of Ridley, do not disappoint me.. don't give in!

Eisendrachen

Smash Hero
NNID
Das_Ritter
3DS FC
5026-4732-8503
Yeah, Sakurai screwed the pooch on this one. Jigglypuff, clones, ****ing Duck Hunt... was hoping for genuinely hype-worthy characters (Mewtwo's return, an actual second Metroid rep) and only got more designated punching bags. Will not buy a second time. :evil:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
So Sakurai was never trolling about " may appear at any second!". It's all the fan's fault for trying to still believe.
We just wanted to believe he wouldn't do something as unfathomably stupid as not adding Ridley this time around.
I kinda feel that people are overreacting we have Samus and Zero suit and that's it, but besides dark samus who could we have really gotten that would've been a good addition
RIDLEY, RIDLEY, RIDLEY! Don't you get it?

Last edited:

Venus of the Desert Bloom

Cosmic God
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
Writing Team
NNID
VenusBloom
3DS FC
0318-9184-0547
While it's truly sad that Metroid representation is almost non-existent and our love able purple flying dinosaur is yet again absent, this doesn't really warrant its own thread. I would also like to remind people to not let emotions take over and do/say/act in anyways that might jeopardize your time here on Smashboards. Keep a cool and rational head when dealing with this information

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom