• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal. LET'S ROCK!

Meleeruler

BRoomer
BRoomer
Well here are some of my favorites:

- Stratovarius
- Kamelot
- Dream Theater
- Symphony X
- In Flames
- Sonata Arctica
- Edguy
- Dragonforce
- Angra
- Gamma Ray

I'm more into power metal, but I can dig some death metal. I've also recently got into progressive metal.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Stratovarius has to be one of my all time favorites. That's one of those rare bands where I like every single song, with no exceptions.

Smash_Masta00

Smash Cadet
I haven't been able to REALLY get into the harsh vocals side of metal yet...

But anyways, This is my list of the bands I listen to that I label as "metal"

At Vance
Avantasia
Avenged Sevenfold (for some reason, I can tolerate the harsh vocals on their earlier albums)
Ayreon
Black Sabbath
Blind Guardian
Bloodbound
Chinchilla
Conception (For those of you that like Kamelot, this is a great band to check out. This is Roy Khan's old band)
Dragonforce
Dream Theater
Edguy
Falconer
Hammerfall
Iced Earth
In Flames
Iron Maiden
Iron Savior
Judas Priest
Kamelot
Liquid Tension Experiment
Manowar
Megadeth
Metallica
Queensryche
Shadow Gallery
Sonata Arctica
Strapping Young Lad (I like the harsh vocals here, too... they really seem to fit with the music)
Stratovarius
Winters Bane

>_>

And for anyone who really cares, the link to my last.fm profile is in my sig.

Aaryk

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Aarykk
3DS FC
0834-3787-5311
Strapping Young Lad (I like the harsh vocals here, too... they really seem to fit with the music)
Gene Hoglan is, in my opinion, the single most talented drummer on the face of this earth. Strapping Young Lad is sweet, and he is my drum hero.

Replacement100

Smash Apprentice
Ayreon, Dream Theater, Dead Soul Tribe, Cog, Tool, A Perfect Circle, Living Syndication, Deftones, Devin Townsend Band, etc.

I've been looking for Avantasia but I haven't been able to find any... :<

All that really "Rawr I are screaming" stuff is awful. Don't even bother arguing.
That pretty much sums me up.

LouisLeGros

Smash Journeyman
I would say he's good but I prefer Brann Dailor from Mastodon.
I would have to agree there, but I still love Gene.

I would still put Neil Peart above both of them though for a living drummer :p.

Going back a few pages regarding the originl metal bands. I think we can all agree Sabbath is metal, if you don't think Sabbath is metal I don't think then you do not have the right to call yourself a metalhead.
Those other bands generally seem to fall more along the lines of hard rock, which has a lot of influences on metal but is not one and the same.

The bands like Deep Purple, Cream, and Led Zeppelin I think would fall into a sort of proto-metal catagory. They are not really metal, but they have elements of it in some of their work. Motorhead & Sabbath would be metal all the way though.

Speaking of early influences of metal, Alice Cooper is deserves so much more credit for his contributions to metal, hard rock and pretty much anything that tries to push the envelop of what is acceptable in music. He revolutionized the theatrics of rock. Then he also has way more then simply School's Out for great songs.

Anywho, back to metal. I'm going to reccomend Alestorm.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Well, first and foremost, I can;t recommend any band over Symphony X. I just love their music so much, of course I'm guilty of being a major power metalhead.

Other bands I can think of off the top of my head. Sorry for repeats, didn't feel like reading all 4 pages, that's just WAY too much.

Wintersun
Rhapsody
Megadeth
Symphony X
Anthrax
Blind Guardian
Dragonforce
Iron Maiden
Helloween
Pantera
Black Tide
Powerglove
And any early Metallica, not that mainstream sellout ****.

Randallt3mp

Smash Rookie
List of good bands

Deathcore (Death Metal/Hardcore)- unfortunately alot of crappy no talents, but All Shall Perish, Animosity, and Despised Icon are worth listening to.

Deathrash (Death Metal/Thrash)- Arsis, The Absence, Darkane are great bands in this genre.

Progressive Metal - Epicurean, Aeon, Symphony X, Blind Guardian.

Metalcore - A genre despised by many self proclaimed "metal pros/elitists" **** them I say. Although alot of undertalented scene kids make up a good portion of the newer bands, There are still good ones worth listening too. All That Remains, Unearth, Killswitch Engage, As I Lay Dying.

I have plenty more but this is all I'm giving now.

Randallt3mp

Smash Rookie
Gee...I wonder what my favorite band is. :)

Mainly into brutal death like Suffocation, Devourment, Decapitated, Behemoth. Also melodic stuff like The Absence, Black Dahlia Murder, At The Gates.

Black metal as well, Dimmu Borgir, Mayhem, Immortal, Emperor.

Most underground metal I just plain out love.
I 2nd your contributions
All good metal there although I am not much into Black Metal (Behemoth), Emporers is good though. What about Goatwhore? and Arsis (new album out soon - We are the Nightmare) Listen to Servants of the Night, the song is awesome.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Anyone listen to Primordial, Septic Flesh, Mael Mordha or Man Must Die?

All are great bands that people don't seem to know about. Or at least people that i have met.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
I can't get into Death Metal or Black Metal at all.
And Power Metal makes up the majority of my music, to be honest.

Exovel

Smash Ace
Joke post, try again please.

There are SO many bands that are better than Pantera... Are you sure that you have even listened to any other bands that are considered "metal"?
So, Owl

I just checked out your last.fm page, and while there are some bands that really aren't at all my thing, I have to say that your taste is excellent overall. Especially the Ayreon. I think it's funny that Loser is your most played track, though, just because I like the song a lot but I can't pay it very much. My most played Ayreon track is actually Sail Away to Avalon followed by The Castle Hall, Comatose, and E=MC^2.

I'm also surprised that with all of your musical interests that you don't listen to Devin Townsend. Most people that play the track Pain a lot are big fans of his. Personally, while I don't like his SYL stuff, I find the DTB to be quite awesome.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
So, Owl

I just checked out your last.fm page, and while there are some bands that really aren't at all my thing, I have to say that your taste is excellent overall. Especially the Ayreon. I think it's funny that Loser is your most played track, though, just because I like the song a lot but I can't pay it very much. My most played Ayreon track is actually Sail Away to Avalon followed by The Castle Hall, Comatose, and E=MC^2.

I'm also surprised that with all of your musical interests that you don't listen to Devin Townsend. Most people that play the track Pain a lot are big fans of his. Personally, while I don't like his SYL stuff, I find the DTB to be quite awesome.
1) I think Loser was actually my first Ayreon song, and I listened to it a whole lot for some reason during a 1 or 2 week period. Now though, Day Three: Pain, Day Twelve: Trauma, and Day Ten: Memories get way more play time than Loser.
2) Sail Away To Avalon is an amazing track, I definitely agree with you there.
3) I think my 2 favorite tracks off of 01011001 are Beneath The Waves, and The Sixth Extinction.

4) I actually do listen to Strapping Young Lad, but I haven't gotten around to checking out Townsend's other projects yet.

Exovel

Smash Ace
The Sixth Extinction is really amazing, I agree. I actually can't think of any Ayreon songs that I dislike. They are all great. My most played Ayreon song lately has been The Truth is in Here and Age of Shadows. Comatose is another track that just gets cemented in my brain.

I really like The Last Experiment a lot as well as Into the Electric Castle as well. The only album I don't listen to consistently is Actual Fantasy.

For Devin's other projects, I would recommend looking into Infinity and Terria in his solo career. Then check out Synchestra and Accelerated Evolution by DTB. I think that AE is one of my favorite albums ever.

As for SYL, I could never really get into it. I think it's just a bit too much for me. I am a big fan of the song Bring on the Young, though. Great stuff there.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
The only two Ayreon albums I've really listened to are The Human Equation and 01011001, to be honest... I haven't heard much from the others except what comes up on shuffle.

Oh, and Into The Black Hole is another of my favorite Ayreon tracks... Bruce Dickinson is amazing, and Maiden was my first real Metal band.

I'll definitely try to look into checking out more of Devin Townsend

I'm really liking Symphony X so far... especially Paradise Lost... that is an amazing song.

Have you heard Dream Theater or Avantasia?

Exovel

Smash Ace
Ayreon wise, I really recommend everything. Into the Electric Castle, both of the Universal Migrator albums, and The Final Experiment are all mesmerizing. Even Actual Fantasy is really good. Check out the track The Castle Hall on Into the Electric Castle. I guarantee that song will blow you away.

I bet you'll enjoy Devvy's work too!

Glad to hear Symphony X is working. They are right there with Ayreon and Porcupine Tree for my favorite bands. The song Paradise Lost is one of their best, I told you! Now listen to the track The Odyssey. It may be 25 minutes long, but it's so good you don't even notice.

I own all the Dream Theater albums, and I really like them a lot. The album Octavarium is by far my favorite. Just the track Octavarium is enough to make it worth while.

Avantasia? No, that's something I haven't listened to, or even heard much about. Are the comparable to another band I might know?

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Avantasia.. well...

It is a Metal Opera, much like Ayreon, but it is more of a Power Metal thing than Ayreon (Ayreon is more of a Progressive Metal, no?). Tobias Sammet (Singer of Edguy) is the songwriter for it.

I'll link you a few YouTube videos of them for you to check out.

Another Angel Down (Featuring Jorn Lande and Tobias Sammet on vocals.)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=zrmRZXehL2A

Avantasia
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=M-OuJ3BABbg

Twisted Mind (Featuring Tobias Sammet and Roy Khan [from Kamelot] on vocals)
http://ca.youtube.com/watch?v=NifGseIFB18

Exovel

Smash Ace
Yeah... I got into Ayreon, Devin Townsend, Dream Theater, Shadow Gallery, Symphony X, and so many others from the progressive end of their music, not the metal end. I'm really not the biggest fan of just regular metal, but PROGRESSIVE METAL is incredible. I will certainly give those videos a look, though, when I have some more time. I appreciate the recommendation because I'm always looking for new music.

Make sure you let me know how the rest of Symphony X, Devin, and Ayreon treat you. I'm always interested in people's first impressions.

OwlFlavored

Smash Cadet
Well, like I said, I've already listened to 90% of Ayreon's discography, but it was on shuffle so none of the names or albums they are on really stuck.

I'll definitely post my impressions about those others when I get around to them, though... thanks.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Now listen to the track The Odyssey. It may be 25 minutes long, but it's so good you don't even notice.
This is SO true. The first time I listened to it, I looked at it and was like, "This has been playing for 24 minutes? That's an amazing song." The Odyssey is the song that got me into Symphony X.

^^^ not I. Although I can't seem to stand power metal vocals for very long.
This saddens me, but to each their own I guess. Do you consider stuff like Maiden (Which is heavy, not power.) irritating? 'Cause Bruce's voice never gets old. No matter what.

@ OwlFlavored

If you're just getting into Symphony X, I high;y recommend not listening to their first album. It's not Russell Allen. Also, check out V after you've listened to a lot. V was more of an acquired taste to me. I Really like the ****ation Game, but above all, The Odyssey's whole album. Umm, listen to Incantations of the Apprentice, it's a great song.

What're your opinions on Seven from Paradise Lost? I can't ever seem to not listen to that song first when listening to that album.

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Well, like I said, I've already listened to 90% of Ayreon's discography, but it was on shuffle so none of the names or albums they are on really stuck.

I'll definitely post my impressions about those others when I get around to them, though... thanks.
I'm pretty sure Ayreon's entire discography is concept albums. Don't just listen to them on shuffle!

For Ayreon I like Out of the White Hole, The New Migrator, Loser, Dawn of a Million Souls, My House on Mars, Temple of the Cat, Comatose, Waking Dreams, and The Sixth Extinction. I haven't gotten to his older stuff yet. I'm sure Web of Lies is his worst song though.

Count me as another guy who's only really into progressive metal and power metal. It's hard to find metal bands with good singers.

My favourite band is Dream Theater. They're just great. But even then they have a lot of songs I don't really like.

If any of you are into Dream Theater you should look into the band's side projects, they're all really good too.

Liquid Tension Experiment is Petrucci, Portnoy, Jordan Rudess, with Tony Levin on bass. They made two insrumental albums with a few ridiculously good songs. Biaxident, Universal Mind, When the Water Breaks, Acid Rain, Osmosis, Kindred Spirits, and a few others.

Petrucci's solo album Suspended Animation is pretty good. I LOVE Animate-Inanimate, and I like Lost Without You, Tunnel Vision, and Curve as well.

Neal Morse has Portnoy as his drummer, and Jordan Rudess was a guess keyboardist on his Question Mark album. He also has a lot of really good songs, although they are totally Christian I'm an atheist and I like them anyways. The Door, The Conflict, The Separated Man, Author of Confusion, The Temple of the Living God, In the Fire, and Help Me/The Spirit and the Flesh are all classics in my mind.

Platypus is a really solid band with Myung on bass. I'm not sure I'd really call them metal though, but I'm not really good at defining genres. Their songs are pretty catchy and if you get bored of band members soloing for three minutes each per song then you'll probably find Platypus a breath of fresh air.

James LaBrie's solo album Elements of Persuasion is also surprisingly good. Drained, Smashed, Crucify, Slightly Out of Reach, plus a few other really strong songs. The band he put together is pretty **** good and is basically a more mainstream version of Dream Theater.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I agree that Ayreon is not a shuffle-able band. Their albums form one massive story line, so it's impossible to follow if you don't listen to it all in order. I also think that his older stuff is just as good if not better. Plus, if you don't listen to The Final Experiment, then you don't even know who Ayreon is or what half of the songs on 01 actually mean. As for the Web of Lies, give it some time. I HATED everything about that song at first, but when you understand its purpose in the album... I don't know, it's just so much better. It will certainly never be one of my favorites, but I can respect why it belongs in the album.

I love Dream Theater, but it's certainly not my favorite. LTE is pretty good, but not really up my alley. Neal Morse, however, is beyond talented. And back when he did Spock's Beard, those guys were unbelievable. Talk about great music.

Symphony X

Smash Lord
Count me as another guy who's only really into progressive metal and power metal. It's hard to find metal bands with good singers.

My favourite band is Dream Theater. They're just great. But even then they have a lot of songs I don't really like.
It's kind of funny you should say this, as many regard Dream Theater's vocals to be mediocre. Myself included. Don't get me wrong, they're amazing, and have great instrumentals. If you like power vocals and Dream Theater, definitely check out Symphony X, you won't be disappointed, there is a thread 'bout them in the Metropolis.

In regards to other metal having good vocals. Have you tried Thrash? Their vocals aren't great, per se, but they fit so amazingly well with Thrash. Stuff like Anthrax, Megadeth, Sanctity. All good thrash bands. I like the vocals. Also, try Heavy Metal. I'd go so far as to say Heavy vocals are better than Power Metal vocals. With bands like Iron Maiden, Black Tide, etc. I'd say they are, but Power Metal produces an altogether greater experience. If you don't mind overlaying vocal tracks, you should check out Blind Guardian, those vox are good. Death Metal vocals are amazing, but you -have- to like them, you can't just pick them up. That's why Wintersun is perfect for me, they are Melodic Death Metal, so I only get a taste of death vocals mixed in with other vocals. You should try them, too.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
^^^ Wintersun isn't really melodic death, but the vocals are.

Also I found some pretty good power metal bands recently; Theocracy, Battlerage and The Weird Lord Slough Feg. Power metal fans should check them out(if you already haven't heard of them)

tmw_redcell

ULTRA GORGEOUS
BRoomer
Those statements were unrelated, heh. I know a lot of people just outright hate LaBrie, I think Dream Theater fans hate him the most. I think he's really solid though, except on heavier songs, they should probably just get someone else. But he was the perfect singer for Images & Words. He also had throat problems for a while so he wasn't very good live for a while but he's all better now.

I am downloading The Odyssey right now.

As for Thrash, I guess I've heard some, namely Megadeth. Their singer is pretty hit or miss for me, it's hard to explain but he sounds like a stupid guy to me. I like the singing in The Scorpion though.

I've heard Blind Guardian and think their singer's okay. Bright Eyes is a totally wicked song though.

My favourite vocalists are probably Devin Townsend and the guy from Pain of Salvation. It took me a while to get into Pain of Salvation though, it just sounded "empty" to me. For a long time the only song I liked by them was Her Voices, but eventually their sound grew on me. He's also on 01011001 in The Sixth Extinction and some other song probably.

Oh, and another really good Prog Rock/Metal band is Fates Warning. I haven't heard all of their stuff but their album Parallels is pretty good, they pull off emotion really well without being overblown.

For Power Metal, one band I rarely see mentioned is Last Tribe. Good vocalist, although he sounds really generic. The only album I have by them is called The Ritual, with the title track being a pretty badass instrumental.

I thought I would like most power metal, then I downloaded a torrent called 36 Rare Power Metal Albums and only liked like four songs.

I like a few Nightwish songs, but I really like the instrumental versions of Ghost Love Score and Creek Mary's Blood.The End of All Hope is pretty epic for a song under four minutes.

What do you guys think of instrumental/post-rock bands like Pelican or Isis? I mention them here because they sound more metal than post-rock like Explosions in the Sky. I only have a couple songs by them, could you recommend any? I like Altered Course by Isis and March Into the Sea by Pelican.

Oh and also Vanden Plas is a really good Dream Theater-soundin kinda band. The band members are not as insanely good but they make up for it with tighter songwriting. Get Colour Temple and Christ.0 if that sounds good to you.

Exovel

Smash Ace
I am downloading The Odyssey right now.

My favourite vocalists are probably Devin Townsend and the guy from Pain of Salvation.
Some major WOO-HOO's there!

You'll love the Odyssey, guaranteed. And Devin is an outstanding vocalist. His work on Terria, Infinity, Accelerated Evolution, and Synchestra are unbelievable. It took me a while to appreciate his voice, but WOW, is it ever incredible. As for PoS, they are growing on me slowly but surely. My roommate loves Scarsick, so I've heard it a bunch. Maybe eventually I'll really sit down and give them a chance.

So, tmw, what about other prog metal bands? I'm really more into the Prog Rock, but since we're on the subject of metal... Do you listen to much Shadow Gallery or Deadsoul Tribe?

By the way, if you ARE into ProgRock, we need to start up a new thread to talk about some of those bands.

Psychoace

Smash Champion
Hmmm thrash you say? let us refer to the big 'four' then Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera, Slayer. Some may agree that one band is not one thing and one band is but each of these bands share some sort of thrash experience be it one c.d. or another.

Some good ones I like in the thrash genre are the above four...
Kreator, Machine head, Iced Earth, Exodus, and Sepultura.

lycrof

Smash Apprentice
Wintersun is more of a power metal bands, with some viking metal. Jaru's vocals are mostly that of melodic death metal.

Top Bottom