• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Trying to contact my alien associates so they can
Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes
Release Date: 3-04-03
System: Gamecube
Developer: Silicon Knights, Konami, and Napalm Films (working on the "polygon demos")
Publisher: Konami
Players: 1
ESRB: M for Mature
Official Site: http://www.kcej.co.jp/products/mgs_tts/english/index.html
Box Art:

Main Developer Picture:

Ryuhei Kitamura, Hideo Kojima, Denis Dyack

Info (from Gamespot.com): At a press event today, Konami showed off a new trailer for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, the upcoming GameCube game based on the original Metal Gear Solid for the PlayStation. The lengthy clip differed dramatically from the first trailer shown at E3 which featured quick cuts and rather dark environments interspersed with a great deal of text.

The new trailer focused exclusively on gameplay and showed off the enhancements and tweaks that Konami, Silicon Knights, and Nintendo have been working on. The montage of footage was made up of a wealth of clips from different parts of the game that highlighted the new camera angles and improved graphical effects that the team will implement in Twin Snakes.

The framerate inconsistency that we saw at E3 was still apparent in a few sequences, but Silicon Knight's Denis Dyack, who was on hand to speak about the game, noted that optimization was being done to ensure a smooth framerate. He also stated that the game will ship on two discs and that it will feature Dolby Pro Logic II support. The enhanced audio should highlight the voice acting in the game which was completely re-recorded for the game. While extra game content such as the VR missions or Metal Gear Solid 2 won't be included in the game, despite rumors to the contrary, Dyack did mention the game would feature a comparable number of hidden features as the original game to reward diligent players.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is currently scheduled to ship this winter for the GameCube. We'll have more on the game shortly.

Konami's Tokyo Game Show booth is featuring a new trailer for Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes, the upcoming GameCube remake of Hideo Kojima's seminal 1998 stealth action game. The Twin Snakes is being crafted by Nintendo second party Silicon Knights as a sort of reimagining of the original game. Though it will follow the plot of Metal Gear Solid, the game will feature newly recorded dialogue by the original cast and entirely new cinematic scenes, which the original game was well known for. Konami has enlisted Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura to direct the cinematic scenes (or "polygon demos" as Kojima calls them), and Kitamura is using motion capture and all of his cinematic talents in making the new scenes as film-like as possible. The trailer on the TGS show floor gave us a good look at several familiar scenes from MGS that have been redone by Kitamura and his crew. Newcomers to MGS who don't want anything in The Twin Snakes spoiled, be warned: The following paragraphs will do just that.

The most enigmatic character in Metal Gear Solid was the cybernetic ninja who haunted Solid Snake's steps throughout the game, and we got to see a lot more of the ninja's Twin Snakes incarnation in the new trailer. Both his first meeting with Snake, during Snake's battle with Revolver Ocelot, and his first mano a mano battle with Snake were revealed more fully, and it seems as though flashy, impressively acted hand-to-hand combat will feature prominently in Kitamura's rendition of the two characters' rivalry. The scenes we saw in the trailer had a lot of fancy martial arts and quick, nimble moves (such as a backflip-dodge move by the ninja) that are far in advance of the animation seen in the original MGS. The glimpses we got of these fight scenes were superbly motion-captured and will undoubtedly lend The Twin Snakes a more action movie-like feel.

We also got to see more of the sequence involving Meryl and Sniper Wolf, which had a slowly paced, almost poetic sort of pacing; in a surprisingly artsy shot, Meryl pensively considered the laser sight that was painting her chest before Sniper Wolf shot her in the leg and arm. Then a few quick shots of Snake's fight with Wolf were shown, which featured some pretty cool gunplay, with Snake spinning his sniper rifle around as he turned to face Wolf.

Finally, we got to see a bit of the fight between the rocket launcher-armed Solid Snake and the Hind D-piloting Liquid Snake. The clearest image from this scene that's remained in our minds was of Liquid Snake firing a missile from the helicopter at Solid Snake and Solid Snake leaping upward and literally jumping onto and springboarding off of the incoming missile. Again, this kind of stylish, over-the-top action is quite a bit different from what we saw in the cinematic scenes of the original MGS.

From what we saw today, Konami's enlistment of Ryuhei Kitamura has certainly accomplished the goal of giving MGS's polygon demos a new and more stylized feel. Alas, diehard MGS fans will have to wait a bit longer to enjoy them--The Twin Snakes was said today to be delayed until early 2004. In the meantime, watch this space for further information on the game.
Screens:

BA out..

Emacee

Smash Ace
I wonder if the gameplay maneuvers from MGS:2 are in this one as well?

E

ExMachina

^ Well, Konami is touting Twin Snakes as combination of perfect story (MGS1) and perfect gameplay (MGS2). So yeah, it's safe to say all of the gameplay tweaks and new maneuvers from the second one will be in here.

THE_LEGEND

Smash Journeyman
Greatest game ever

I saw the new trailer in Ign.........this game is so awesome..........i was a big fan of the original.........I'm telling u you must buy this game! great story and gameplay...........It's 1 of my top 10 games it could probably be in Number 1.........If you dont have a cube i suggest go buy 1..............come on its just 99 bucks ! great deal!.......... can't wait for this game!

Kaboom

Smash Ace
I own and played the original MGS to death. Better than MGS2 IMO, overall... But Twin Snakes should undoubtedly trump them both, cause it'll give the good story of MGS better graphics and gameplay. I can hardly wait! Wee.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
IGN Cube has just interviewed Denis again about the game so.... Here you go:

IGNcube: Thanks for taking the time to answer a few questions, Denis. The first is the most obvious: why push Twin Snakes into next year? And what is the new firm release date for the title?

Denis Dyack: The reason to push the game to next year was to make sure the quality of the game was the highest possible. Konami, Nintendo and Silicon Knights all have very high standards for games. Get all of us working together and you are bound to get something very special. When it comes to the release of the MGS: TS, we know the MGS fans have very high expectations and we intend to meet them. When we were approaching our original date we all decided that the game needed more time. So we extended the date. The new firm date is this coming March.

IGNcube: How is the game progressing? What's done and what needs to be done?

Denis: The game is progressing extremely well. We are in the final stages of tweaking and balancing. Soon we will be only fixing bugs and trying to GM the game. It always is an amazing process to me to see the game come together in the final stages. If things have gone well, the game begins to take a form beyond your expectations. I can now say comfortably that MGS: TS is beyond my personal expectations. I believe gamers are going to really happy with it.

IGNcube: There have in the past been concerns over the game's frame rate. At what fluidity will the finished product run? Can you elaborate?

Denis: The framerate has been significantly increased since the last public demo of the game. 60 frames per second is pretty much consistent now already. There may only be a few places where this doesn't happen and we will be working on those until we ship the game. We don't think gamers will be disappointed with the framerate.

IGNcube: Will the original PlayStation 1 Metal Gear be included as a playable extra in the game?

Denis: No, sorry.

IGNcube: Will the disc include a behind-the-scenes making of featurette or any special DVD-like extras?

Denis: There are definitely some extra features that open up when you finish the game. It would not be a Metal Gear without these. However, there is not behind-the-scenes featurette specifically.

IGNcube: Can you clear up whether or not the title will run in progressive scan, 16x9 widescreen and/or Dolby Pro Logic II?

Denis: Yes I can! Progressive scan = Yes. 16x9 = No, sorry. Dolby Pro Logic II = Yes. I am sorry for any prior confusion.

IGNcube: What has been the most difficult element in bringing Metal Gear to GameCube?

Denis: Trying to meet the player's expectations for the game. MGS fans expect a lot from any MGS series. Nintendo fans expect a lot from Nintendo. Add these elements together and I think you get the idea.

IGNcube: Will there be more Metal Gear titles on Nintendo home consoles?

Denis: Well, I hope so! In our opinion, Kojima-san's group is one of the best in the world and an ongoing relationship between Nintendo and Konami would be a great thing in our opinion. I personally would love to see Socrates (Kojima-san) and Aristotle (Miyamoto-san) continue to work together in the future. This would be good for gamers and good for our industry.

Also, "new" screens (New in quotations because IGN sometimes just says old screens are new;))

To show you a few, more over at http://cube.ign.com/

The game seems to be shaping up quite nicely! Perhaps maybe a rent for me now... Although... That's only if the video store here gets it, they only have around year old games right now... :/

Who else submitted their name, blood type and such for the dog tags? I know I did. ^^

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
****, I wanted to do that so badly but I didn't get permission from my 'Big Boss'.

Argg, oh well. It doesn't mean you'll be included in the game, you just have the chance (if you're lucky enough).

And wow, 60 frames per second?! That's more than what Soul Calibur had and that game was as fluid as can be (at least for a 3-D game).

Wow, I stoked,
BA out..

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Can't wait until it's released; I've been waiting in building anticipation since I found out about it!

But what's all this about dogtags?

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
They might be changing some parts of the game that were so amazing in the first from what I read like when you meet Psycho Mantis. Just about everyone already knows that spoiler, so Silicon Knights might be reworking that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Silicon Knights goes ahead and puts little hints of Eternal Darkness, much like Mario in Ocarina of Time.

saud

Smash Lord
So you can get dog tags in this game too? its the best part in my opinion in MGS 2. So how do I sign up for the dog tags for Twin Snakes?

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Originally posted by Raccoon87
They might be changing some parts of the game that were so amazing in the first from what I read like when you meet Psycho Mantis. Just about everyone already knows that spoiler, so Silicon Knights might be reworking that. I also wouldn't be surprised if Silicon Knights goes ahead and puts little hints of Eternal Darkness, much like Mario in Ocarina of Time.
Instead (as heard in the first trailer) he says "I see that you play Nintendo games. (Possibly he says something in between) I heard, Hideo Kojima respects Mr. Miyamoto too."

And to answer your question Saud: You can't sign up anymore..

BA out..

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
Silicon Knights have put tiny easter eggs in the game! IGN says that there are some in the Ninja battle, which made them say Holy S***!. There is also an office with little Nintendo things on it. They shot them and little noises popped up.

This game can't come soon enough. It might actually be the first Mature game I will buy; second after Resident Evil (which my parents bought for my 17th birthday).

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Too bad my computer says there's not enough bandwidth. Hmm,
that's a long trailer..

January 15, 2004 - Konami and Nintendo announced today plans for the MGS TS Premium Package, a special Japan-only package to commemorate the Japanese release of Metal Gear Solid The Twin Snakes on 3/11.

"The package includes the Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes game, a special Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes GameCube system and a special disk that, in addition to special video footage, will include the NES version of the original Metal Gear. The package will also come with a forty-four page art book. All this for 21000 yen (a little under $200 at current wretched exchange rates).
Nintendo has released special versions of the GameCube for numerous software titles including Namco's Tales of Symphonia and the upcoming Gundam game from Bandai. As none of these hardware units are planned for stateside release, we have a feeling that this Metal Gear Solid package will also remain in Japan. Still, we can at least hope for the special disk containing the original Metal Gear."

BA out..

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
I watched the entire 27 minute trailer and WOW.

I went from knowing little about MGS to wanting the game A LOT.

The trailer is all FMV cut-scenes, but they are among the best I have ever seen in ANY game. Trust me.

The cinematics are incredible. It blows my mind how lifelike all of the characters move and how cool their actions are. Every battle involving Cyborg Ninja is a MUST SEE. He actually cuts a bullet in half with his sword. And of course, the Matrix had tons of influence on the scenes.

*LOTS of bullet time when Ninja is around*

All in all, it looks GREAT...

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
I dare not to watch that footage, as I don't know any of the twist in the story and have been told that it spoils a lot.

Anyway here's some pictures of the Easter Egg is in the game.

For some reason they are very easy to see and not hidden at all in the game

let me know if you think they are too spoilish eventhough they are very easily found(they are in the cut scenes).

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
yeah i jsut reserved mine today (i reserved snake eater during the summer) and i jsut downloaded the boss cutscenes. I love what they did with psycho mantis, and i hope they come with with some whacky way how to beat him. (im thinking something out of eternal darkness)

by the way, my friend is a MGS addict, so he knows most of the lines. according to him a lot of the lines stay the same.

Still my favorite part of that trailer would have to be the ocelot fight or against raven.

by the way, what the heck is psychokinisis?

PS: IF you do watch the movie, cut it two minutes short, because it WILL give away the ending.

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
I loved the trailer. The laughing pictures were one of the best parts. The trailer though really sparked my interest. I wasn't really interested much in the game before I saw it. After hearing people rant and rave about the trailer for a whole day I decided to download it and wowo!

The Mario and Yoshi thing is funny :p

Revolutions

BRoomer
BRoomer
these fields are optional but will enhance your on
I love the laughing happy pictures and the GameCube start-up screen, but the Mario and Yoshi one just seems so overt and out of place. It almost seems fake, but I'll go ahead and take your word for it that it's cool.

I'm too scared to watch the trailer because me no wanty spoilers.

~edit~ Awesome, post 777! Does that mean I win the slot machine or something?

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
Devilkoopa- "Psychokinesis, a form of psi, meaning that apparently it is a technique of mind over matter through invisible means. Examples of PK are movements of objects, bending of metals, and determining the outcome of events. It can occur spontaneously and deliberately which indicates it is both an unconscious and conscious process." Good explanation straight from first site on Google list of matches for "psychokinesis." ;).

Yes, the laughing pictures are awesome.

No, the pics aren't too spoiling.

Yes, the trailer is very spoiling.

No Revolutions, you did not win anything...

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
The definite release date in Europe is now confirmed to be March 26.

The press release (with a general plot summary):

Konami of Europe’s first Metal Gear Solid title for Nintendo GameCube gets definite release date

Konami of Europe has announced that Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes – the unique collaboration between Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima and Nintendo's development legend Shigeru Miyamoto – will be released on March 26th. It marks the first appearance for the series on Nintendo GameCube, and is already being described as one of the games of the year for the Nintendo format.

Encased in packaging featuring an exclusive image by lead artist, Yoji Shinkawa, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is the result of a unique alliance between series creator Hideo Kojima, Nintendo development icon Shigeru Miyamoto and Canadian development studio, Silicon Knights. Working closely together, this enviable array of talent have updated the original story first seen in the PSone version of Metal Gear Solid, and bringing it to life using the landmark graphics and gameplay elements seen in the seminal Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty for PlayStation 2.

Cast as Solid Snake, an expert covert agent, the player must help the legendary hero infiltrate an Alaskan nuclear missile disposal facility now under terrorist control. The base has been seized by the FOXHOUND group who are planning to use the weapons within to hold the world to ransom. Snake's mission is thus simple: enter the base, eliminate the terrorist cell and neutralise the nuclear threat – a weapon codenamed Metal Gear.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes retains the many gameplay elements that have seen the series hailed as one of the all-time video game classics. Players have total control of Snake's many skills as they enter and stealthily make their way through the base. As such, Snake can sneak behind guards, stow them in lockers, use silenced weapons to take out targets from afar, and use all his covert skills to bypass security systems, patrolled areas and to enter restricted areas. Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes also incorporates elements not available in the original PSone game, with the GameCube game offering a first-person view of the action, the ability to hang from ledges, and to open, climb into and search lockers.

The Nintendo game also benefits from specially created CG sequences, overseen by renowned Japanese film director Ryuhei Kitamura and utilising the latest in motion-capture techniques. Similarly, all the voices heard in the game were re-recorded afresh, using Snake artist David Hayter and members of the original cast once more.

With Solid Snake's popularity cemented by an incredible response to the new game at the E3 Expo in Los Angeles, Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is already being hailed as one of the most significant GameCube titles of 2004. With its stunning visuals, incredible gameplay and cinematic soundtrack, the close working relationship between Kojima-san, Miyamoto-san and Silicon Knights has produced a worthy addition to the Solid Snake mythos.

Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes will be released for Nintendo GameCube - on two discs - on March 26th.
Two discs? Good...

Metroid Killer

Smash Hero
Sorry but the double post... hey I'm a Super Mod!

I have a complaint about the boxarts.

The US boxart is average... good but it could be better.

The Japanese(and the European looks a bit like the JPN as well) are just as bland imo

I don't understand why they do not make a better boxart? The MGS boxart for the playstations were far more better quality...

Like using this picture!

Also check out the cube on this pic ;)

Raccoon87

Smash Lord
The American release date has been pushed up! But to anyone wondering, it's only been pushed by two days: from March 11 to March 9. I'm guessing Nintendo wants to have a bit of time between the month's big releases (Collosseum being the other).

Devilkoopa

Smash Lord
by the way there is one last easter eggthat no one seemed to say: when they show the ZOA2 poster, they actually show an entire clip of dingo in jehuty when he's yelling at someone (i think it was anubis)

excellent. but i actually like the boxart. to be honest i never really look at it...

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
Originally posted by Raccoon87
The American release date has been pushed up! But to anyone wondering, it's only been pushed by two days: from March 11 to March 9. I'm guessing Nintendo wants to have a bit of time between the month's big releases (Collosseum being the other).
The release date has been March 9th for quite a while now, I hadn't even heard of the 11th being the date up until now.

B0r3d*m Alien

BRoomer
BRoomer
Denis Dyack answers..

Hi Everyone,

I just thought that I would try to answer some of the questions as promised before I go away for a bit.

imthesoldier asks - You said something about Sanity effects. Is it anything that was similar to ED? Like, are some of the Sanity effects similar to those in ED?

There are some added sanity effects similar and identical to those in ED.

Red-1 asks
- Denis, what's the functionality of the start button on the GCN pad ? I know you need to press both the start and the "A" button to get the codec up but what about the start button alone ?

This was to allow you to pause the game (and get a map) or also go into the codec – they are two separate actions and thus a combination of buttons.

- Does it name the place you are in both in english and japanese like in MGS2 ?

Yes.

Jkis6622 asks
- I remember reading something where it said that Psycho Mantis can still read your memory card like in the PSX version. Do you have a list of games that he recognizes?

Yes but I am not telling.

- Are there any new moves that were not in either games that were added to this one?

Hrm, not sure what moves you mean. If you are talking about Snake specifically, then sorry no.

Orange_Gaming_Monkey asks - With the two discs, is it change once, or do you have to change more often?

Change once.

Draco769 asks - In the original MGS, it says at the end hoe the START 2 treaty required the United States and Russia to reduce to 5,000 nukes each and then said that as of 1998 there were still 20,000 nukes in the world. Now, since we are in the year 2004, will you do a similar thing, saying what the START 2 provisions were and then showing how many there are as of 2003 or 2004, a few years after we were supposed to have reduced to that number as a sort of afterthought? I'd love to see this little bit still included, since I know for a fact that the United States alone still has over 10,000.

This information and statement has been updated in the game.

kmikek asks - In MGS2 when you shot a guy once or twice but you let him live, and didn't exactly kill him, he ran away and slowly died. Does that happen in Twin Snakes too?

Yes, all the things that the guards did in MGS2 they now do in MGS:TS.

Vincent_Wolf asks
- Is there a possibility to play through the game in Snake's outfit from MGS-2 or even as Pliskin?

There are different outfits for snake. The game is out soon so I will let you guys discover which ones.

- There is a M9 Beretta with sleeping bullets (I saw it on some screenshots...). Is there a PSG-T then? And if there is, then if I shoot Sniper Wolf with them, would Snake finish her, like he did in the first game, or will there be another cutscene?

There is a PSG1-T in the game.

Thomaswrobel asks - Eternal Darkness had a few moments that genuinely shocked or startled the player. Without giving away specifics, Does MGS:TS have any of these?

Yes, I think so, although in different ways then ED did.

Nadine asks - Was there a good reason why TTS absolutely HAD to be finished right away considering you had to scrap the connectivity support, and maybe other ideas you would have liked to add? Since its a remake, it would be great to put as many new ideas into it as possible. But I'm thinking the release of MGS3, and other high profile games this year make it important to release TTS before that time. Would you say this is true?

Quality was the highest issue when it came to deciding what to add and what not to add in a game. The release of MGS3 or other high profile games really did not impact our schedule at all. Connectivity features were removed so we could add other features that we felt would enhance the game more then connectivity itself.

SOLID_SNAKE135 asks - How is that certain part of the game with Meryl saying her frequency number "is on the back of the case" going to be handled for the GCN version?

In a very similar way.

Special thanks to Keira2 for helping organizing these questions for me. I will be away after today and likely will not post again for a several weeks. By then MGS:TS will be out. I hope everyone enjoys Twin Snakes!

Best Regards,
Denis.

BA back, you guys should see the movie Versus, a movie directed by the director of the cinemas in MGS TTS, Ryuhei Kitamura.

BA out..

Cashed

axe me
BRoomer
lmao, MK. I've seen that ad before but I never noticed Snake's "trigger" ;)

I finally decided that I will buy the game but I'm going to wait a while for a price drop. It'll be nifty to see how long it takes this game to get to the Player's Choice level.

Top Bottom