• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

Geo

Smash Ace
I'm ashamed, appaled and disgusted with you people for not already making a topic about this....J/K. OK here we go.

Title: Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
System: PS2
Developed by: Konami
Players: 1
Type: Tactical Espionage Action
Release: 2004
Memory Card Usage: Who cares I'd delete every file on my MC to play this game.
SPOILERS

Background: The time seems to be in the 1960's/Cold War era. The setting: a lush green jungle. It seems to me the main character is NOT Solid, but rather Solids father Big Boss. If you download the trailer (what you haven't? go, I command you!) There is a scene where the main character is shooting of his M16 and there's a close up of his face, you can see his right eye has been badly damaged(hmm very Big Boss like). Capital letters on the back of the e3 pamphlet spell Big Boss, when Hideo was asked this he sayed that shot was in the trailer for a purpose. There's also the back to the origins thing and snake would be too young to be there.

New Features: In the video we see snake (lets call him snake its easier for me as I type this) munching on a fish and later a snake. Hideo revealed at E3 that snake would have to eat animals to survive in the jungle and that snake would grow to like certain foods over others, when asked if what snake ate would give him special attributes he said he couldn't tell us. Snake also seems to have acquired several new moves like hanging from a tree branch and shooting enemies with his other hand. He now has the abilty to cut some throats with his commando knife. He can also bust out a knife combo(its cool to watch). Shooting and swimming at the same time and quite possibly riding a motorcycle. Most noticeable is the lack of man made buildings and 90 degree angles. Guards can now roam like the wild beast they are so you don't know which way they are going and can surprise you. Another big change is all the action you still have to hide and remain sneaky but you do so much more killing. Hideo said that the game would take place 2/3 in the outdoors and the remaining indoors. I leave you with a link to the trailer and some pictures.

Trailer

oh and before I forget at e3 some paper models of MG REX were handed out and once it was completed you had enough pieces to make another machine(I wonder what this could be) descriptions say it looke like a tank. Im looking for a pic right now.

X Japan

Smash Lord
great report!i'm now gearing up on this one.i wish they make a new up-dated version of the last MG games that was on the NES and the MSX system.it would be great to see Snake in his early 20's.just no iron gloves.

Dark Wario

BRoomer
BRoomer
Metal Gear Solid 3 is starting to look very interesting with its new design and new style of gameplay where "human survival" is more important than "infiltration". The jungle looks very realistic even in the early stages, and the ability to hunt animals as a source of food as Big Boss/Snake crosses the jungle...

The game looks very promising and I am sure it will be a must have for MG fans, but I would like to learn more about the Patriots that were in MGS2. That ending left so many unanswered questions that should be explained eventually...

Dark Link

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Neoshade
WTF wait a second!!!!!!

****************SPOILERS**************************
-
-
-
-
-
-
:crazy: Did you notice that kojima said that "Snake" does this or "Snake" does that???? he never says SOLID snake.....*cough-raiden-cough*(remember the codename"snake" :) )
This game takes place during the 60's!!!! Snake wasn't even born yet!!!
Tlook at all of teh pics....hmmm... NO RIGHT EYE is visible....
Look at the m16 gun pic...he is lookig through his LEFT EYE....snake is RIGHT eye dominent
.......notice the evil GREEN eyes too???? snake has BLUE eyes.....
They also kept saying back to the roots....Who started this all???
MUAHAHAHAHH i have figured it out.....IT IS BIG BOSS :crazy:

also look at the flyer they gave out at E3....notice the capitols on it...they spell out BIG BOSS....(look at the top then the bottom)
********end of spoilers***********

no what do you think of that???? :) :) i have been gone awhile..my first post back :):cool:

Craftstar

Prank Monkey
BRoomer
Wow, I just assumed this was starring Solid, I didn't think of BigBoss or anything like that.

I can't wait to see this turn out =D

krillin1986

Smash Champion
Lol, looks very impressive... I love the reference to GTA Vice City lol...

But, in the video, i clearly saw him using his RIGHT eye to aim... so... I haven't played MGS 2 SoL, but i have played the original one for psx... and beat it... So i am not exactly sure what the big fuss is about Big Boss, even though you guys say it's Solid Snake's father, well, I guess that'd be cool to play as him... I got a ps2 now, had it for a while, so perhaps I'll get this game! ;)

para trooper

BRoomer
BRoomer
Im drawing a blank as to the name, but i thought this game was being developed by the same people who did eternal darkness, and konami was just publishing it and over seeing it

flash

Smash Journeyman
hey, that is good thinking. maybe it is big boss. i havent played my mgs games in a while. i'll have to do that. but didnt it talk about solid snake in the cold war or something?

flash

Smash Journeyman
hey, that is good thinking. maybe it is big boss. i havent played my mgs games in a while. i'll have to do that. but didnt it talk about solid snake in the cold war or something?

i would like the game to continue with the patriots in the present though.

sorry guys i didnt mean to doublepost, honestly. i pushed stop in the middle cuz i wanted to add something. sorry

The Muffin King

Smash Ace
I'm curious as to what effect food preferences have in this game. Does Snake become stronger by eating something he likes? Weaker if he eats something he doesn't?

Any details on that?

Phillip Chanter

BRoomer
BRoomer
You got it right nephilim

I seem to remember them saying that as well, as snake eats different things he gets different tastes, for example: If snake eats certain types of snakes, he'll get a taste for them, but if he eats something like fish he might loose his taste for snakes, and eventually fish will give you more health, and snakes can give you less.

Well anywho, I haven't really played much metal gear, but I do know that these types of games are for the people who like to play the most difficult games. I hope Snake Eater won't have such a steep learning curve, and won't have such a stupid story either! :shyguy: :beezo:

Geo

Smash Ace
you didn't like the story? i'm gonna go cry for hours now..... well not really. I mean people love the MGS series for its crazy stories with plot twists and memorable characters.

As for the learning curve I picked it up really fast although a lot of my friends said they couldn't get it so I understand.

I'm kinda dissapointed that the Patriots story has been put on hold but I do want to know more about Big Boss. Just think of what this game is going to reveal. I'm also waiting for the appearence of another "les infantes terribles". We had Solid, Liquid and Solidus so theres still 5 more to be discovered and I want to know more!

X Japan

Smash Lord
from the info i got so far it is Big Boss.the reason y his name is Snake in this game is becuz he hasn't become "The Legendary Soldier" yet and at this time the gov't is still using code names based on exp on the battlefield and how good u are in the mission(the use of code names stop when Col.Roy Campbel took over Fox Hound).i also heard that this game is going to go more in to Big Boss's past with the "les infantes terribles" project and details of the Patriots.

most of this i've got from many different websites and forums.most of it could be BS but i felt if i post most of the info that all the site had the same of.i just want to know is the info i got is true or not.thats all.

HumanoidTyphoon

Smash Cadet
OH MAN:p I have been waiting for this game for forever!

I think i'll go with the first guy's post...i would delete all my files for this one...it looks like a keeper to me;)

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
PSM does a great story on this game. Snake Eater is a nickname for an Army Ranger. Hmm, Big Boss was a ranger too.

Also, keep in mind Solidus, Liquid, and Solid are all clones of Big Boss. Meaning Big Boss would be the orignal Snake. Very interesting.

To whoever posted it, someone made mention of Snake being involved in the Cold War. Well, this game takes place in the 60s making Snake about 70-80 when the first Metal Gear Solid starts.

Another interesting, yet sad note. Hideo has said in the PSM interview this is his last MGS(like he said last time). He is going to pour everything he has into this game. He said then he will step down unless no one else offers to step up then he will have to go again. So, this may be the last great MGS. Sigh.

Geo

Smash Ace
^WHY.....

why'd you have to go and break my heart Eric, why? I can't believe Hidoe is gonna give up on MGS! Did he say why? Arg I am furious yet very sad..... Well this game better be a good one. I've been looking for more news but I can't find any.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
PSM had an interview with him.

He was supposed to resign after MGS 2, but with no one else deciding to take over he didn't want it to die like that. So, he decided one more project. That is good and bad news for us. This will be the game with all of Hideo's talent, knowledge, passion, and ideas into one game. I can't wait to play it for the fact that one person is going to give everything he has into his creation is worth all the money.

I can't wait.

Shoryuken

Smash Cadet
On my IGN Wishlist I have Snake Eater as number 1. That's saying a lot. I cannot wait to get my hands on this game. The number of gameplay changes from the MGS2 formula is just incredible! Plus, rumor has it that big boss is who you're playing as, which is quite cool. Too bad it doesn't come out till November... 2004...

Geo

Smash Ace
Update

I looked up more stuff and I found a couple of interesting things:

Rumors Those rumors have been proven to be false but they're still fun to read.

The New Vehicle Here's the MGS3 vehicle it could be a MG but it doesn't look like the previous models.

Q&A between Hideo and GameSpot

Thats about all I got. Keep watching this space for further details.

Geo

Smash Ace
A small update

The good people at 1up.com got to go inside Konami's new office and do some snooping around. Here's what they found, well what pertains to MGS3.

Full Article can be found here

And here's the piece of the article that tells about MGS3
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

All this emphasis on the cinematic elements of Twin Snakes points up the question of, well, what do we know about what's going on in Metal Gear Solid 3? Kojima freely admits that the game is indeed set in the 1960s, and when asked about its hero's resemblance to a young Big Boss, he smiles a little and says, "What you have in mind is on the right track." But besides that, the focus has been almost entirely on Snake Eater's new setting and gameplay.

Which is a good sign to everyone who thought the story was the last game's big weak point. So far, by comparison, we haven't even heard a single line of real dialogue from Snake Eater, although we have heard the cheerfully ridiculous theme song.

At KCEJ, we heard the entire trailer and theme in the developer's in-house sound studio, where the music and effects editing for all the Metal Gear games takes place. It's odd on a couple of levels -- one, a James Bond theme entitled "Snake Eater," and two, a James Bond theme playing over the adventures of the distinctly less-than-suave Solid Snake. Incongruous or not, though, it's a fine piece given the constraints of its genre, and an interesting way of setting the tone for the new game.

But back to the meat of the game, whatever variety you prefer to consume. Bringing Metal Gear into a realistic outdoor environment is something Kojima has apparently already wanted to do, but it's obviously a much greater technical and design challenge than the flat surfaces and right angles of the last two games.

The all-new all-terrain Solid Snake
The more complex collision detection and inverse kinematics systems required to make the character animation work properly with the environment are among the biggest hurdles still facing the development team. Many parts of the development version of the game, including a few scenes shown to the press during the tour, don't have collision implemented yet while the team's programmers continue to sort the problem. Though the game is still on track for a 2004 release, that's apparently the big challenge of the next few months.

Mechanical designer Yoji Shinkawa, creator of Metal Gears Rex and Ray, says he's faced a different challenge while working on the game. Past Metal Gears have had the advantage of taking place in the near future, which allows a designer to play fast and loose with the limitations of technlogy. Shinkawa's work in Zone of the Enders, meanwhile, had no limitations at all. Creating something realistic within the context of a past time, though, imposes some constraints. "There's a person on the team who works with me and helps me come up with the older designs, not just for the mecha but also for the characters," he says. "This guy is a really hard-core fan of that subject, and we do a lot of work together to give the designs that '60s flavor. But in all honesty, it's hard for me. It's easier to work on futuristic designs, where my designs wouldn't be limited at all. When I have to go back in time, I can't come up with something totally wild-looking -- it has to have those ties to past history."

Other advancements, like Snake Eater's more complex hand-to-hand combat system, are more easily in hand right now. Military advisor Motosada Mori, also a contributor to the past two MGS games, worked closely with the development team on the implementation of the close combat maneuvers shown in the new trailer, which despite the game's '60s setting are based on the latest modern techniques. Mori even got to take a turn as a motion actor -- the Solid Snake seen through Kyle Cooper's stylized editing is animated based on Mori's moves. "And the guy being thrown is the actor who we captured as Raiden in MGS3," said Kojima. "Mr. Mori, when he does his throws, he's not pulling them, so you're seeing the real thing there."

Raiden was harmed in the making of
this scene, if that cheers you up
Though Snake Eater does contain some deliberate anachronisms like that, Kojima still intends for the game to be a history lesson. When asked about the significance of the game's historical setting, he explains that, "by learning about the past, it reflects on the future in a way. Genetics, information, and then time, those three things will work to complete the saga in that sense, and conclude this theme."

"By playing this game, you'll learn about what went on between the two superpowers -- America and the Soviet Union," he says. "And now that there is no Soviet Union, there's only one superpower, and the world is so different, you'll be able to see what the world has gone through and how it is now. That's the kind of thing I'd like people to take away from the game, the message I want to convey."

Once the Metal Gear Solid story is thus completed, Kojima again said that he'll be done with the series. The franchise may survive without him -- he says he'd be happy to see a fourth Metal Gear Solid project headed up by another creator -- but after that, he plans to work on something different. Maybe a return to science fiction (he continues to answer with a non-committal smile when asked about the prospect of a successor to Policenauts), or maybe something entirely new.

Whatever it is, we at least know we can expect something clever, and a little crazy. And with luck, that can be entirely meant as a complement.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks like Kojima is out to teach is more about history. I think he brought up an interesting point when he said that now there is only one world power (since the USSR has fallen) and he wants to show us how much that's impacted society.

Small update really, but maybe you guys can find more.

Kid Icarus

Angel Guard
BRoomer
I've never played a MGS game, but I just wanted to interject and say how incredibly awesome this game looks.

If I ever got a PS2, it would be for this (assuming it retains everything MGS2 had + some).

I've seen most, if not all of the trailers thus far.

The stealth action is incredible, just hiding behind a rock to kill incoming men looks so sweet. Running through water with the bullets travelling really slow doesn't look too shabby either.

I must comment though, on Kojima's sense of humor, regarding the hilarious Vice City comment with the man on the motorcycle. Also worth noting is the scene where Big Boss (yes, I am pretty much convniced it is Big Boss) sneaks up through the wooden docks only to get a guy in a headlock and threaten to kill him if he doesn't tell him the release date.

Shweet...

saud

Smash Lord
Hey does anyone remember when Otacon said that all the patriots were dead? Well/ they may be alive during the cold war. so maybe Snake Eater does conclude to the patriots. And does anybody know if you couls still get the enemies' dog tags, its my favorite part of Metal Gear Solid 2.

Geo

Smash Ace
I really doubt the dog tags will be back they'll prolly come up with another way for you to get special equipment.

I guess Snake Eater could talk about the Patriots, not necessarily conclude them but give us more info.

I want to know what side Snake(Big Boss) in the trailer you see a shot of him divided into 4 different flags. There's obviously the USSR and US flag and some others I think.

I can't wait for this game it's gonna be good.

Geo

Smash Ace
Man, what the **** guys? This game comes out in about a month and no one gives a **** about it. This is Hideos last MGS game ever, after this he is done with the MGS franchise. This game looks so awesome too.

Anyways....

A lot of trailers have been put up, you can find them at Gametrailers.com or at MGS.com . They are all worth a look at especially the TGS 2004 and GC 2004 ones. If you are gonna get any make sure those 2 are the ones you get.

The trailers show off alot of the awesome gameplay and the great story line. The trailers also introduce many of the new characters.

Snake AKA Naked Snake. The hero, the bad ***, the future Big Boss.

Eva, the love interest.

Sokolov, the Metal Gear scientist.

Volgin, the bad *** Soviet villain.

Ocelot, we know who he is but now we will find out about his past and his relationship with Big Boss.

THE BOSS, the ultimate soldier before Big Boss.

The Sorrow. Part of Cobra Unit.

The Fury. Part of Cobra Unit.

The End. Part of Cobra Unit.

The Fear. Part of Cobra Unit.

The Pain. Part of Cobra Unit.

This game looks way too good to pass up. Just watch the trailers, they give a lot of good info on the plot.

The gameplay looks amazing, you can ride a motorcycle, shoot turrets and the close quarters combat system is raw and bad ***.

Seriously guys hype this game up, it deserves it.

WATCH THE TRAILERS. BUY THE GAME. GET THE DEMO.

Discuss.

Eternal Yoshi

I've covered ban wars, you know
NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
Well they did relase remakes of the first 2 Metal Gear games, Metal Gear and Metal Gear 2 in the Subsistence version of MGS3.

Crimson King

I am become death
BRoomer
No.

Use this one.

I managed to pick up Snake Eater for only $10 at Best Buy. I just need the time to actually play it.

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
OK Ccrimson King. Has anyone here got the Foxhound ranking yet? I'll continue trying to get it next week. I finished my Camo Cleanup run and the Virtuous Mission of my Foxhound Run. If so, any general hints on how to escape from Groznyj Grad while still trying to get the ranking?

Eternal Yoshi

NNID
EternalYoshi
3DS FC
3394-4459-7089
I suddenly remembered how I broke the game's record for The Fury's boss fight in Duel mode's Special mode. It was very surprising, but the best weapon to use against him is the survival knife. Seriously, that is all you need. Each combo with the knife takes about 30% of his life bar away. You also need knowledge of his patterns and tendecies, or you'll get burned constantly and die. Using this method correctly takes practice, but it'll pay off when you see your score. Besides, in special mode, you don't have a lot of ammo to use anyway.

Top Bottom