• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight's Up-Throw kills ALL Pikmin

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I searched and didn't get any results so I take it this is (unfortunate) news for Olimars. I just found out about this early today and made a video.

So basically, MK's Up-Throw rises so high, so quickly that it separates all Pikmin from Olimar's line and their AI makes them attempt to follow Olimar upward into the path of the Up-Throw. The problem is that Up-Throw also has a powerful hitbox (knock-back wise) on the way down and the move does 7% to Pikmin and puts them into a stunned knock-down state right in front of where MK himself will land. Olimar on the otherhand will be sent flying away from the situation helpless to do anything.

White Pikmin die from the Up-Throw itself if it's fresh.
One D-Tilt from MK will kill all but Purple Pikmin after the throw.
Purple Pikmin die to 2 D-Tilts or one F-Smash after the throw.
All Pikmin die from two consecutive Up-Throws.

To sum it up, MK guaranteed kills all of Olimar's Pikmin with an Up-Throw before Olimar can even touch the ground again.
So don't get grabbed by the character with, speed- and distance-wise, the best dash grab in the game... Sorry, folks.

Seleir

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Yoshigold
3DS FC
2707-1692-7697
Switch FC
2632-8168-1029
oh god this is so bad but fortunely pikmin pluck is faster :D

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
Sakuria, please for the love of everything in this universe SEE THIS AND PATCH IT............................please.

Ridel

Smash Ace
NNID
Lowly_RiDEL
Switch FC
SW-3730-9751-0132
What if I whistle after the throw? Looked like there might have been enough time.
It looks like the Pikmin get locked in stun after the throw, like they have been used in F-Smash for example.

Last edited:

Myran

NNID
Myranice
3DS FC
2406-5215-9008
Looks slightly different to me. Some Pikmin are laying one way while another is facing the other direction.

ZomBiehn

Semi-Pro
NNID
ZomBiehnU
3DS FC
3153-5961-0908
Daaang... kinda upsetting, horrible idea to stop patches when smashers are finding out all these OP throws and smashes

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Sakuria, please for the love of everything in this universe SEE THIS AND PATCH IT............................please.
I think charizard and kirby can do the same, difference is that MK has the most power when he crashes down and a better dash grab.. So unless they lower the damage its staying, they won't nerf his damage output as they already nerfed it hard from Brawl

What if I whistle after the throw? Looked like there might have been enough time.
MK can still kill them with DA on all of them except purple(unless we sweetspot the DA). Basically whistle doesn't do much if not anything at all.

Last edited:

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
not really a problem considering that MK has a pretty miserable time with all that chip damage from the pikmin. This is one MU where your group order & pikmin colors don't really matter because MK's light, and he has no projectiles. Olimar's Reds & Purples can also negate all his moves but drill. but this is just my opinion

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
@ SPoitter SPoitter have you played this MU? This reminds me of a post saying how D3 beats MK despite never playing one outisde FG.

MK can DA through all pikman besides purple who only clanks MKs DA, his mid range game allows him to always bully Olimar and exert pressure with his dash grab and dash attack. When the MK boards cover this MU I'll go more in depth.

SPoitter

Interior Crocodile Aligator
@ SPoitter SPoitter have you played this MU? This reminds me of a post saying how D3 beats MK despite never playing one outisde FG.

MK can DA through all pikman besides purple who only clanks MKs DA, his mid range game allows him to always bully Olimar and exert pressure with his dash grab and dash attack. When the MK boards cover this MU I'll go more in depth.
Yes I've played this MU, I even main MK. I just don't see how dash attacking all over the place would be a good strategy, he can approach but there's still shield grabbing. MK is mostly just punishing, approaching is still very bad to be honest.

Last edited:

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Well, fortunately, Olimar isn't entirely dependent on Pikmin (*cough* Down tilt *cough cough*), and Pikmin Pluck is rather fast, so I presume that one could jab at the Meta Knight and/or pluck a single pikmin and knock him away, giving Olimar time to pluck two more.
And yeah, as Myran said, Olimar should be able to whistle.

Eureka

Smash Ace
It should be noted that the effects of MK's up throw on Pikmin in the 3DS version are slightly different then the Wii U version. While the Pikmin still get hit with the landing hitbox it will never cut the animation of the throw short. While this is good at lower percentages for Olimar because he can get to the Pikmin at the same time Meta Knight does, MK still gets a free Pikmin kill at high percents. Amusingly, this leads to the effect that if the Pikmin are already damaged, such as already being up thrown once, when Meta Knight up throws Olimar his Pikmin can spontaneously die for seemingly no reason.

Pikmin-ism42

Smash Journeyman
Looking back, this isn't entirely true. I just played a match right now as Olimar against a Meta Knight and a Zero Suit Samus on Final Destination. Meta Knight has used his up-throw on me multiple times yet once I returned, my Pikmin were absolutely unscathed.

Top Bottom