• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Top Five Power Rankings:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
I personally would put Ito above Tyrant because I feel he understands the character better than anyone else. Out of all the Meta Knights I've watched, Ito is the most technical with the character and he's one of the only ones to regularly pull off footstool combos. Though I do feel Tyrant has established himself to be top 2 because of results. Just unfortunate Ito and Tyrant had to face each other so early in bracket at EVO. Ito's only major weakness compared to other Meta Knights is he just isn't very good at the ditto. Hopefully he'll get better at dittos in the future.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
To be completely honest... I would actually put Leo over Ito/Tyrant based on results. He's won a national tournament and numerous sets against more top level players than other notable MKs. Ito and Tyrant, and pretty much any other MK has yet to pull anything like that off.

P.S. this opinion is shared by m2k and zero as well

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
Leo won two nationals in a region that is unexplored in terms of relative strength. He also defeated Mr. R, but that does not mean he is necessarily better than Tyrant or Ito, just that he happened to be the better player in that given match. Mr. R clearly did not know the match up properly.

Tyrant should be placed higher than Ito given his tournament placements at EVO.

Salena placing well in Japan I think is significant, and he looks more polished than Tyrant and Leo do.

Despite Ito doing poorly at EVO, I still feel Ito is the best Meta Knight as his last tournament attendance. Tyrant demonstrated he could outperform him in the ditto, but that does not make you the better player, much in the same way that just because Leo beat Mr. R it does not mean Leo is better than Mr. R. This of course will likely change since he is concerned with school and not attending tournaments.

My current picks right now.

1: Tyrant
2: Ito
3: Salena
4: Leo
5: Katakiri

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Its more like Mr R wasn't playing at his best, he knew the MU he plays Tyrant alot heck he steamrolled him at CEO and put him on the stretcher(similar to Dabuz at Smash con).

Tyrant is the most consistent and he too is taking names, if anything he's taken the most names(Larry Lurr,Vinnie,Fatality,Salem).

Ito hasn't appeared yet probably busy with school and all, but Salena is continuing to improve even thoguh as Ulevo said His MK is more polished. I can see Ito dropping and Salena over taking him because he's doing so well everytime he turns up to a TO, he performed exceptionally well against Ranai.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Worth mentioning ZeRo told Mr. R his performance against Leo was the worst he had ever seen him play. Mr. R is an amazing player and it baffles me he got destroyed so badly by Leo. Both Mr. R and Dabuz have been weirdly inconsistent lately. Most of the time, they play amazing, but then they have those days where neither does anywhere near as well as expected. Nairo and ESAM have that issue as well to an extent, but they're more consistent. Only top player that's consistent is ZeRo, which is why he's Smash 4's only God, where as Melee arguably has six.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
More Salena http://piosuma.blog.jp/archives/24157620.html

Umebura Rankings were updated:

1. Ranai [らない] :4villager:
2. Rain :4sheik:
3. Choco [ちょこ] :4zss:
4. Edge [エッジ]:4sheik:
5. DtN|Nietono [DtN|にえとの] :4fox:+Whatever he feels like that day
6. Kirihara [キリハラ]:rosalina:
7. Saiya [サイヤ] :4falcon:
8. Umeki [うめき] :4peach:
9. Earth [あーす] :4pit:(:4fox:)
10. Salena [サレナ] :4metaknight:
11. Songun [そんぐん]:4gaw: (:4sheik:)
12. Shu [シュウ] :4sheik:
13. Nyanko [ニャンこ] :4sheik:
14. Pichi [ピチ] :4falcon:
15. Fsann :4ness:
16. Yuzu [ゆず]:rosalina:
17. Kameme (Kamemushi) [かめめ (かめむし)] :4megaman::4dedede:
18. KEN :4sonic:
19. Aki :4luigi:
20. Yui [ゆい] :4fox:(:4sheik:)

Last edited:

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
Very impressive.

I wish we had a way to reach out to him. I'm gonna find someone who speaks Japanese here so we can wish him our best.

EDIT: Jee golly Batman! Look at all those Sheiks!

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
For those who don't follow the Japan scene.

The thing with Japan at high level is that everyone is around the same wavelength. Like the US you got ZeRo -power gap- Nairo/Esam/Mr R ect -power gap-another power gap-

Abadango recently won his first Umebura and 2-0d Rain despite getting 13th for awhile now, results will be all over the place for Salena in the near future so don't be surprised if he gets a low placing then the week after get top 4. From 1-14+abadango everyones on the same level.

MKs in Japan have so much potential, i can see others following Salena's example very soon and cause upsets.

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
For those who don't follow the Japan scene.

The thing with Japan at high level is that everyone is around the same wavelength. Like the US you got ZeRo -power gap- Nairo/Esam/Mr R ect -power gap-another power gap-

Abadango recently won his first Umebura and 2-0d Rain despite getting 13th for awhile now, results will be all over the place for Salena in the near future so don't be surprised if he gets a low placing then the week after get top 4. From 1-14+abadango everyones on the same level.

MKs in Japan have so much potential, i can see others following Salena's example very soon and cause upsets.
I wish 'Murica was like this.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
(imo) Based on Indigo Plateau last night, it's probably fair to say Tyrant is an overall better MK than Ito. I still think Ito knows the character's nuances better, but Tyrant has more experience, better fundamentals and impressive ability to adapt his combos and general play mid-set and even mid-game. These things take him further in big tourneys (regionals and above). He placed 3rd and Ito placed 5th/6th which, considering how stacked it was, are great results. I'm confident that if Ito keeps playing, gaining experience on the big stage and improving his fundamentals, he will become a massive threat at nationals.

Katakiri also placed 9th at Rebirth, tied with V115, Ksev and Demitus. This event was also pretty stacked so well done to him. I think there's still a power gap between the top 4 and the MKs directly below but it's definitely becoming narrower. Oki was pretty impressive at Indigo Plateau too to be honest, he was very close to sending Larry's Luigi/ZSS to losers.

Same rankings.
  1. Tyrant
  2. Ito
  3. Salena
  4. Leo
  5. Katakiri
We placed Tyrant above Ito before because of their relative performances at EVO but now I think it's more than that. Ito's recent performances at not only Indigo Plateau but at Lan Diego show that he has improved so I don't think Salena has overtaken him. We (certainly I) haven't seen much of Leo recently, but I think he still deserves fourth for winning two nationals and toppling Mr R.

Ulevo

Smash Master
I am not particularly impressed. Ito has become sloppy. His edge guards are less crisp, he makes mistakes he previously did not, and his combo game is less efficient. Tyrant is still the same. He is producing results with subpar performances. Leo and Salena are hard to place given their lack of interaction outside of the states.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Salena is going to umebura tomorrow, so hopefully we get nice footage and results from him.

Edit: Ito played sloppy there's no denying that, Ulevo already pointed out the things he's doing poorly in. He went for sh and landed with dair to try and kill luma instead of d-smash/sh nair. Dair has the most landing lag of all his aerials. He never plays like this in locals.

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
When Ito plays at his best, he's probably the scariest MK out there. When he plays at his absolute worst, we get the set we saw at Indigo Plateau against Falln. Falln played out of his mind that set, while Ito played considerably worse than I've ever seen him play against Falln. Both Ito and Tyrant are the best MK players in the U.S., but Ito needs to work on being more consistent as a player and Tyrant needs to be more careful with his special moves. Both players messed up their up special followups a surprising amount of times, Tyrant did extremely uncareful side specials in two instances, and trying to get back to the stage with tornado from very far away was an extremely risky move by Tyrant. Both players also need to be more careful with dimensional cape. Using it as an attack is an extremely risky move if the opponent isn't doing an action with a lot of lag, so they should be using it more sparingly, especially if they're at die percentage. Tyrant's and Ito's teleportions with DC were super spot on though.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Last edited:

busken

Smash Ace
Thier is a new MK user called jbandrew he played MK in brawl but in this game he quickly played all of the top tiers. He most likely saw the potential in MK u-air combos and started playing him and has done very well. He has won every tournament he has attended since August 14, going primarily solo MK, and has beaten Texas' best such as Denti and MegaFox.

In my opinion, even though he bandwagoned the MK train he is very good and if he keeps this up he can be a top 5 contendor. So what do you guys think about this guy?

Ulevo

Smash Master
I have seen him in my youtube searches. He is the only 'unknown' Meta Knight I have watched that was at a reasonable level and enjoyable to watch.

busken

Smash Ace
For some reason, I dont see him going out of state so he's probably only a regional threat.

Yσנιмιтѕυ

Sm4sh Modder / Graphic Design
NNID
yojimitsu
Sorry but Ito and Tyrant are getting outclassed by Abadango who just put on a huge showing at BH5. Ito is only a regional threat (has said numerous times he isn't going to travel much) and Tyrant has tried and failed to hang with the big dogs. Meanwhile Abadango and anti made grand finals vs zero and nairo arguably number 1 and 2 in smash 4.

1. Abadango
2. Leo
3. Salena
4. Tyrant
5. Ito

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
He's beaten notable players too, in Japan and in the US. Not sure on the ranking.

Edit: Is this raw results or a mixture of results and metaknight play?

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
He understands the character better overall despite the limited time playing. I told Tech over Skype that players should be using up tilt 2 after down tilt locks instead of dash attack. Low and behold Abadango knew better.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Leo actually did this before abadango, he and aba are in a completely different level when it comes to maximising their punishes.

Last edited:

Roy Renard

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
5000-2716-4113
I think you guys are heavily underrating Leo just because he hasn't been able to travel outside of Mexico. I'm from Mexico myself and I don't really say this because I'm biased towards him, but because Leo's dominance is so overwhelming in our national scene that it's scary. I don't really know how well we might do compared to the US or Japan because we don't have that much information to be able to get solid conclusions, but based on the few cases we've had a chance to see Mexican players play against international players, Mexico has done pretty well. Regi, (the Game&Watch player) who got 13th at EVO, is probably only top 15 here. We have world-class Captain Falcons and arguably the best Toon Links and King Dedede's in the world, and even then, Leo destroys everyone at every tournament he goes to and makes them look like For Glory noobs. Basically, he has no real competition in here, and probably only the very top players in other regions are a match for him. I don't know if someone has kept track of how many tournaments he has won, but his record is probably similar to ZeRo's, if not better, and he's even stayed unbeaten since December 2014, much like ZeRo, with the exception that his streak is ongoing.
To be fair, before I could watch his performance at Smash Factor, I thought that Tyrant and other MK players were probably better than him, but now I'm sure I was mistaken. I compared his play with Abadango, who many people here say is a contender for best MK in the world, and found he is not that consistent with the up-air strings. Leo barely ever drops those strings, he never drops jab locks, he barely misses a punish, and when you slip off even once, he punishes you HARD and more often than not 0-to-death's you. He has even mastered perfect pivots and incorporates them in his general gameplay as if it was just another everyday technique, which is something I have yet to see from any other player in the world.
So, well, in conclusion, I might very well be biased and we, Mexican players, might all be just bad at the game and Leo might only have the level of one of the many top players in Japan and the US, but, for the reasons I stated above, I seriously think that M2K's statement about Leo probably being one of the top 5 players in the world is true.

Also, we had another national this last weekend (which Leo won, by the way), and here's some footage from the stream where you can see him in action. You can make the comparison to other top MKs and maybe prove me wrong.

http://www.twitch.tv/trainingroommty/v/21137917 (minutes 26:48, 36:17 and 55:56 for his pool run)

http://www.twitch.tv/trainingroommty/v/21312008 (minute 9:57 for his first top 24 bracket set and forth)

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
There has been talk of us underrating Leo in the Skype group actually, his and Aba's punish games are a sight to behold. I really wish he was able to travel so we could see how he stacks up. Although (I don't want to pre-john) since he's young it's likely that if he did travel, playing away in a new country may affect his play. I could be wrong though so it would be very exciting. Looking forward to when he does eventually compete at other major events outside of Mexico.

Other significant results recently, Ito got second at another regional, he beat Larry in winners and then Larry tore through losers and got revenge in Grand Finals. It was close though. Impressed that he can take on Larry, to be honest I thought they were on different levels but I was wrong.

Also Jbandrew got 13th at the national MLG I believe, pretty respectable result.

Top Bottom