• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meta Knight Top Five Power Rankings:

Ulevo

Smash Master
I thought that this would be a neat thread to introduce some interest, discussion and competition here in the bat cave. This is a list that will be kept current of the top five Meta Knight players. I may expand this list to 8 or 10 in the future, but for now this will suffice.

Rankings are based on:
• Tournament placements
• Sets taken off of renown or reputable players in tournament bracket
• Sets taken off of renown or reputable players in money matches
• Regional power rankings

These conditions will also take in to consideration secondary usage of characters, and whether or not Meta Knight was used as a sole main in important matches or used to progress throughout tournament brackets.

If you wish to nominate a player, post reasons with evidence, including tournament attendances, placements, notable sets won, and video footage of tournament play, money matches, or friendlies against reputable players (with priority in that order).

Current Top Five:
1: Leo
2: Abadango
3: Mr. R
4: Tyrant
5: Ito
Discuss.

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=8de18e50ba3b7b4eabf3cad723792ba5&oe=55CD76AF

https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...=aa18a08322c8a5af5ae70240a6d7f9e6&oe=55C1EFA2

9th in socal, #1 in san diego, ive beaten tearbear, falln, phoenix, imhip and markus in tourney going solo mk and won a bunch of tournaments with him
Yo, I'm Canadian, so I'm not fully versed in which regions are stronger. Am I correct to assume SoCal is the strongest concentration of players generally for Smash in the states currently? If you or others can give me the hot spots, that would be helpful.

@ Katakiri Katakiri , @ Fye Fye , @ warionumbah2 warionumbah2 @ ZTD | TECHnology ZTD | TECHnology

Last edited:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Leo is a Mexican Meta Knight who won our latest National. If that counts for anything that is.

And btw, imo, as of right now, you can not compare regions' strengths.

Ulevo

Smash Master
Leo is a Mexican Meta Knight who won our latest National. If that counts for anything that is.

And btw, imo, as of right now, you can not compare regions' strengths.
Obviously this will be largely left to subjectivity. That cannot be helped. Are there many notable players in Mexico that have traveled?

ZTD | TECHnology

Developing New TECHnology
SoCal and Tristate are the best regions. Florida and MD/VA has some good players as well. Ontario is full of respectable players. I have no idea where there are other good Metaknights though. My region is eh as a whole.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
SoCal and Tristate are easily the best regions in the U.S. and I don't know of any notable Meta Knight players from the tristate area. Tyrant also uses Meta Knight and is ranked #1 in SoCal, but I almost never see him use that characters in tournaments. Out of all the Meta Knight players people ever considered notable, he probably uses Meta Knight the least by far. S2H was an honorable mention for SoCal's PR rank and he solely mains only Meta Knight as far as I know. I live in NorCal and no-one who currently lives here mains Meta Knight that's notable enough to be listed on there. I did see Sean use Meta Knight at a tournament once, but I don't know how often he uses that character at tournaments and he primarily uses Diddy Kong. Though it's worth mentioning Ito was #1 in NorCal before he moved to SoCal. Overall, I'd say Ito is probably the best Meta Knight player in the country. I don't think any other Meta Knight player would be able to take a game off of ZeRo at a tournament except maybe Tyrant since I've heard he once did better with Meta Knight against ZeRo than Diddy Kong. But as I said earlier, it's hard to know how good Tyrant is with that character because he seems to rarely use Meta Knight at tournaments.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Pretty sure Unknown is the only notable Meta Knight in Tristate and even then he plays the character so badly. His game sense is really great and he's smart overall, but he recently hasn't been trying to do simple things like follow up with Up B after a Dash Attack or D Throw. He just tries to get the Up Air string kill setup and then struggles after that.

And then after him I'm probably the only MK main in Pennsylvania. I haven't been to a tournament yet, but I'm laddering frequently.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
His game sense is really great and he's smart overall, but he recently hasn't been trying to do simple things like follow up with Up B after a Dash Attack or D Throw.
That's basically the simplest, most basic combo you can do with Meta Knight outside of down throw - dash attack and down throw - dash attack - up smash (or up tilt). It's too bad he probably doesn't pay any attention to Smashboards because he has the potential to be very good with Meta Knight and a lot of the information here is super valuable and would help him a lot.

Last edited:

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
That's basically the simplest, most basic combo you can do with Meta Knight outside of down throw - dash attack and down throw - dash attack - up smash (or up tilt). It's too bad he probably doesn't pay any attention to Smashboards because he has the potential to be very good with Meta Knight and a lot of the information here is super valuable and would help him a lot.
Honestly I'm pretty amazed with how far he gets in the bracket without this knowledge. Just think how great he could be.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Honestly I'm pretty amazed with how far he gets in the bracket without this knowledge. Just think how great he could be.
Exactly. If someone knows him, please contact him and help him find out about a lot of the useful information from this board. If he improves his fundamentals, he could become one of the best Meta Knight players in this country. But his failure to utilize a lot of Meta Knight's most basic tools hurts him so much as a player. It's really unfortunate.

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Maybe Seagall Jo can tell him to get over here(i know he uses name search so hopefully he'll pop up).

He does well despite playing pretty bad which makes me smile knowing how much he'll dominate if he actually came here.

Edit: lol why didn't i tag him instead? smh

Last edited:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Maybe Seagall Jo can tell him to get over here(i know he uses name search so hopefully he'll pop up).

He does well despite playing pretty bad which makes me smile knowing how much he'll dominate if he actually came here.
Tagging would be more effective in getting a player's attention. Though would Seagull Joe want to make the Meta Knight matchup worse for him? lol

@Seagull Joe

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
Is there a stream where we can watch Katakiri? All I know is his Youtube channel.

Katakiri

LV 20
NNID
Katakiri
3DS FC
2492-5180-2983
I'm at least the saltiest MK around. Does anyone else here get mad at only making $80? I legit scream robbery when I run into Mii Brawler in losers finals (and a Mii Brawler has won winners finals too!)

So what about customs tho? Overall I'm ranked 51st on Smashboards and, while it's missing a lot of events, my placing history is here: http://smashboards.com/rankings/katakiri.83628/user?id=8

The biggest issue with ranking me against other MKs is that my region, at least until EVO is over, hosts customs tournaments more often than not and we have since Smash 3DS launch yet we still have tourneys with customs off as well so we don't have power rankings because we don't have a set metagame (but everyone hates customs here so they're gone after EVO) but I'm top 3 in the region without customs, I don't think anyone would be willing to argue that it's Mister Eric, Shugo, and me in no particular order.

Also as far as MK mains go, my region knows how to ABUSE customs maybe even better than East or West Coast. This post where I went in on customs is no theory-crafting but just raw personal experience. That means I'm playing MK in a world where 1 mistake at 50% is my stock, no questions asked and that's on top of already bad MUs like Sonic. And against all odds, I still get 2nd or 3rd at these events, not because I was outplayed but there are MUs in customs that MK has to work literally 4 times as hard to win. Mii Brawler for example has to win the neutral game 2-3 times to take a stock. Two times to get MK to 40%, maybe one more to KO him off a guaranteed combo if he lands a grab. MK has to win neutral at least 5-6 times to get Mii Brawler to KO percent...and then he has to get the KO while stay alive himself. Mii Brawler is DOMINATING our region right now with there being 3 of them at yesterday's big event and I spoke with the best of the 3 and we worked out the MK v Mii Brawler MU and due to MK's "perfect" fall-speed + weight combo, he can't escape Mii Brawler's setups. It is a genuine 20:80 MU. And I still made 3rd yesterday when Kentucky's best were all there and most of them tried to jank the crap out me with 50% KO setups off a grab or something a lot of characters have.

btw those are johns. Those are all johns, I know. Ignore them. But I place top 5/top 3 in a metagame that is THE most hostile to MK in a region that knows how to fight MK (because I forced them to learn or lose) down to all nuances like the Greninjas knowing the Shadow Sneak option out of Shuttle Loop and the Diddys knowing to play around their banana rather than holding and throwing it which is something only Brawl Diddys would know to do against MK because MK and Peach are the only character that can pressure shield from the air that safely with D-Airs, effectively invalidating the banana in hand when MK's above them unless they get a clutch item drop Up-Air OoS

I wouldn't be mad if I wasn't even ranked in the non-customs top 5 MKs somehow but when it comes to customs tho, I don't think any other MK can avoid jank like I can. I genuinely want to see any other MK fight my region's best Marth, Xisin, and not get grabbed at 50% and die to guaranteed Grab Release > Off-stage Tipper Crescent Slash; I haven't dropped a set against him, it got real close but not yet. If you are at or above 50%, every MU is Ice Climbers at high-level customs play: Don't get grabbed, don't get hit, don't hit their shield, don't press the B-button on-stage. Bruh. Help.

Without customs, I've come far enough as a player especially within the last 2 months that, as of right now, I think there are 3 players in Ohio/Kentucky that could outplay me with customs off and only two players in the region I think could take me out of a tournament when I'm in tryhard "Mama said time you out" mode. I'm looking forward to the next regional w/o customs: Shuffle VII, when I hopefully get the rematch on Chicago from the last customs-legal regional I went to. It's gonna be Meta Knight's Revenge in there. :shaker::shaker::shaker::shaker:

Is there a stream where we can watch Katakiri? All I know is his Youtube channel.
I travel a lot so atm there's no place consistent. I'll probably post in the general when I play on a stream. I bought a laptop-free recording setup just to get some real matches recorded at tourneys. No replays required anymore. Hopefully more recent content soon.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah
(Based only on videos and results posted here)
1: Ito (stop DDK plz)
2: Katakiri
3: Fye / Unknown / S2H

Unkown's videos are full of mistakes but he still wins against top players so I'm kinda confused :4metaknight:

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Unkown's videos are full of mistakes but he still wins against top players so I'm kinda confused :4metaknight:
Basically he would be a very solid Meta Knight player if he strengthened his fundamentals for the character. With some guidance, he could very well become a top five Meta Knight player in this country. It's just amazing someone in his position can constantly make so many poor decisions during matches. Mixups and unpredictability is one thing, but he flat out does not go after many guaranteed followups which is incredibly strange for a Meta Knight player that does so well against very good players.

Last edited:

Fye

Smash Apprentice
NNID
FE-Judge
Definitely do not think I'm as good as S2H; I'm still a pretty mid-tier Meta Knight. Missouri doesn't have the greatest competition so while I am improving, I don't know how I compare to others. Once finals are done, I'll start practicing things from Ito's throw guide and start looking at Texas tournaments.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Pretty sure Unknown is the only notable Meta Knight in Tristate and even then he plays the character so badly. His game sense is really great and he's smart overall, but he recently hasn't been trying to do simple things like follow up with Up B after a Dash Attack or D Throw. He just tries to get the Up Air string kill setup and then struggles after that.

And then after him I'm probably the only MK main in Pennsylvania. I haven't been to a tournament yet, but I'm laddering frequently.
I'm a local MetaKnight in Pennsylvannia. I've only been to locals though in NEPA. Im not nominating myself, I'm just im also a metaknight main in PA! :D

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Obviously this will be largely left to subjectivity. That cannot be helped. Are there many notable players in Mexico that have traveled?
I forgot to reply to this.

I can only remember Wonf (another former champion from the Brawl era), and Hyuga (who wins most online tournaments).
They didn't really publish any result. It's annoying.

Bonk!

Smash Journeyman
NNID
IPAVGSSB
3DS FC
2638-1531-9991
I don't think #3 is justified for Unknown. That's just me. I think it's too early to be making these rankings. We shoulld wait for more Meta Knights to pop up. More and more and coming out of the woodwork and soon enough we'll be able to make more acurate assumptions.

The game may be 7 months old, but we didn't start seeing any efficient Meta Knights until a while after it came out.

W.A.C.

Smash Ace
Honestly, the character is so under-utilized and so few people have been able to achieve really impressive regional results with Meta Knight that it's difficult to rank people. Ito deserves #1, Katakiri deserves #2, and S2H probably deserves #3 because the SoCal PR (which is bat**** insane competitive) acknowledged him as an honorable mention. Everyone else in this country, I don't know of anyone besides those three who has been able to achieve really impressive regional results.

CatcherAndTheRai

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CatcherAndTheRai
Have you guys ever seen RED the Japanese MK player? He has for glory matches online, not saying winning in for glory means anything. I've watched all four parts and he looks like really solid combo game, patience, and just fundamentals in general. If you all want to see what im talking about I can link his vids! I think hes pretty good.

Ulevo

Smash Master
The list does not need to be 100% accurate in order for it to serve its function. The idea is to give a relative estimate in strength and for people to have another incentive to improve.

Based on the feedback here, I've edited the OP. There's not enough relevant data for me to put a 5th spotter in yet, but four is fine.

Last edited:

Slither2Hunter

Smash Cadet
(Based only on videos and results posted here)
1: Ito (stop DDK plz)
2: Katakiri
3: Fye / Unknown / S2H

Excuse me, I have a lot more solid wins than all those players combined. I should be 1st, to be honest. I've seen Katakiri, Fye, Unknown's vids and they're decent at best.

Top 5 Mk's in my opinion:

1st. S2H
2nd: Ito (if he used mk since 1.0.2 more he'd be on top)
3rd: Oki/Scizor
4th: Katakiri
5th: Unknown

Last edited by a moderator:

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
And this is the reason most if not every single "Top X players" threads failed during the Brawl era.

Also, S2H, please try to avoid double posting

Last edited:

Ulevo

Smash Master
And this is the reason most if not every single "Top X players" threads failed during the Brawl era.

Also, S2H, please try to avoid double posting
Just because people have the privilege to voice their opinion doesn't mean it's going to be heralded as truth. Nothing wrong with trash talk and harsh opinions as long as people don't let their pride get their panties in knot.

kackamee

Smash Master
NNID
SlushCream
3DS FC
3480-3017-1332
Excuse me, I have a lot more solid wins than all those players combined. I should be 1st, to be honest. I've seen Katakiri, Fye, Unknown's vids and they're decent at best.

1st. S2H
You should defend why you think you're number one. What are these solid wins you speak of?

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Just because people have the privilege to voice their opinion doesn't mean it's going to be heralded as truth. Nothing wrong with trash talk and harsh opinions as long as people don't let their pride get their panties in knot.
Discussions used to get too overheated, nobody wanted to step back, and just went "mine's bigger" all over the place.

LostinpinK

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Ailkah

1st. S2H
As I said, my list just reflected my feeling toward videos and results posted here, don't take offense if I'm misinformed :)
It would be nice if you posted more though.

Edit : wanted to ask the same as below but was afraid to sound ignorant :D

Last edited:

warionumbah2

Smash Master
Who the hell is Oki/:212:????

Not too bothered about who's the top dog but you gotta go in depth on why you think you're number 1.

Last edited:
Top Bottom