• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Q&A Meta Knight: Questions & Answers Thread (Don't make or reply to new threads just asking questions)

BunbUn129

Smash Ace
No. Up airs can be comboed together on any character, but it's only a reliable kill option on mostly light floaties because their attributes cause them to take more vertical knockback, allowing MK to connect rising up airs without them going into tumble.

Fast-fallers take less vertical knockback so when rising up airs start comboing, they're in their tumble animations and can thus easily DI and SDI out. You can combo up airs at pre-tumble percents but they have to be FF'ed and thus they won't be high enough for SL to kill. Fast-fallers can still die, but only if they have poor SDI and DI so it's not a reliable kill option on them even at mid-level play.

Last edited:

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
No. Up airs can be comboed together on any character, but it's only a reliable kill option on mostly light floaties because their attributes cause them to take more vertical knockback, allowing MK to connect rising up airs without them going into tumble.

Fast-fallers take less vertical knockback so when rising up airs start comboing, they're in their tumble animations and can thus easily DI and SDI out. You can combo up airs at pre-tumble percents but they have to be FF'ed and thus they won't be high enough for SL to kill. Fast-fallers can still die, but only if they have poor SDI and DI so it's not a reliable kill option on them even at mid-level play.
I know you have to fast fall the up-airs, but with enough rage and knowing where they DI you can kill them. I have done it and I've seen Ito do it many times against Sheik, MK, and others.

Freakzoid9000MS

Smash Cadet
NNID
Lukeduke5456
BunbUn129 BunbUn129 Can you give me a link to the MK discord real quick in a private message? I can't access my account on my phone for some reason so I need a link for the server and I'll be away from my laptop for the next couple days.

Last edited:

FW|Shock

Smash Rookie
NNID
Shockwave3456
It's a decent mixup I guess, if they're expecting something else (something safer on block...) they may fail to block the last hit which is the important one.

In a similar vein, I saw Leo do Dthrow at kill %, the opponent DIed down and away and Leo chased after them, they airdodged (I assume to avoid Up-B) and he punished it with a full hop RAR Bair for the kill.
Do you know if there is an MK Discord?

C0rvus

Pro Hands Catcher
Shuttle Loop, up smash, up or down air... It mostly depends on where your opponent is after the hit and if you perfect shielded or not. Just play it by ear.

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
Dtilt is also notable. And grab of course (although MK's standing grab range is ********).

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
Can someone give me tips about handling characters with disjoints as MK? I don't know why I have so much trouble with them.

I actually do well against characters like Cloud, and in the rare case I come against them, Corrin, but I have a pretty bad time with Marth and G&W's disjoints especially for some reason (also, sometimes with Pit if the player is good), probably because the MUs are less known.

I know MK has slight disjoints of his own, but I find his sword just trades unfavorably with any other disjoint and it gets kind of irritating. Any tips/help would be appreciated, thanks!

RosalinA

Smash Ace
Battlefield. These stadiums are really homey.
NNID
EthanDL
3DS FC
3093-7662-4641
Can someone give me tips about handling characters with disjoints as MK? I don't know why I have so much trouble with them.

I actually do well against characters like Cloud, and in the rare case I come against them, Corrin, but I have a pretty bad time with Marth and G&W's disjoints especially for some reason (also, sometimes with Pit if the player is good), probably because the MUs are less known.

I know MK has slight disjoints of his own, but I find his sword just trades unfavorably with any other disjoint and it gets kind of irritating. Any tips/help would be appreciated, thanks!
With G&W it's just a matter of getting in and using your really fast moves to your advantage because you can actually still use the ladder combo on him. I honestly don't know what to do with Marth besides going in.

Last edited:

Conn1496

Smash Ace
3DS FC
0344-9757-7217
With G&W it's just a matter of getting in and using your really fast moves to your advantage because you can actually still use the ladder combo on him. I honestly don't know what to do with Marth besides going in.
Oh yeah, G&W is super easy to KO, but it's more getting in on him that I find hard. Marth has the same issue. They're both pretty difficult to bait into doing moves MK can punish effectively I find, at least in the hands of a good player. G&W has a large jank factor and you have to basically powershield Marth at all times to avoid a nasty knockback or outright KO.

I might just need extra MU experience, but information is generally a lot of where I fall short on a lot of MUs, so...

luke_atyeo

Smash Hero
hey dudes, I'm trying to collect a bunch of quick easy info graphics on essential character knowledge to make a quick reference guide for commentators (we all hate it when a commentator says something that is wrong)
This shulk thing here is an example of the kinda stuff I am looking for

I'm going around to all the character boards and it'll be a little messy for me to try and check them all, so if you have any cool things like that, or just some useful info that I could turn into a similar picture, please send me a message. Cheers lads.

Veda1

Smash Rookie
Hello,

I'd like to know a few things about MK up-air combos : Is there a sweet spot of the up-air hitbox that you have to hit with, in order to combo and set up for the kill ? (does the last up-air before the up-b have to hit in a certain spot, in order for the up-b to kill ?) I'm not being consistent with it, and sometimes everything seems perfect, but the second hit of the up-b doesn't connect, which is frustrating. Any advices on this ?

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
I've heard of people comboing from MK's dthrow, but I haven't seemed to be able to get anything out of dthrows, not even in training mode. In Online games, they just airdodge way before I land an attack, on every single attempt. I've tried doing a shuttle loop followup, a nspec followup, a fair followup, everything. I either can't get to them before they hit the ground, or they airdodge. Any info on how I should be doing this?
Dthrow can combo into shuttle loop easily at early % (may get punished tho)

GlassSSB

Smash Rookie
NNID
The1N7
Have any MK players utilized a shield bait tornado? Jump in to bait an oos option then jump again and punish with tornado. I've tried it against some players and it seems to work pretty well and racks up damage.

Victory.IsMyDestinySSB4

Smash Journeyman
Have any MK players utilized a shield bait tornado? Jump in to bait an oos option then jump again and punish with tornado. I've tried it against some players and it seems to work pretty well and racks up damage.
I've found tornado to be a great move for a down throw, if your opponent airdodges, since you can get ~12% on them if you read it

The Goldenbrawler

Smash Ace
NNID
Frost3
3DS FC
3840-6562-5991
So, I've been looking for a reliable co-main/secondary. Thus far I've turned to :4mewtwo::4metaknight:or:4greninja:. I'm here, as I'd like to get some experienced players of each character to give me their thoughts. Basically, as someone who plays :4lucina:/:4marth:, does :4metaknight: cover their bad MU's well? I've heard people say that :4mewtwo:does a better job in doing such over :4metaknight:, but like I said, I want to get each perspective. If anyone has any answers for me, I'd greatly appreciate it.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Mewtwo should cover Sheik better than MK, and I think that's about it, Marcina don't have many matchups bad enough to require a switch.
In any case, it all comes down to preference, if you get comfortable enough you might not even want to change characters at all.
:196:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
MK goes even or loses to most of the top tiers except rosa. So m2 is a better pick. Doesn't help that mk has a low skill floor.

Last edited:

Jamurai

Victory is my destiny
NNID
Jamurai92
MK goes or loses to most of the top tiers except rosa. So m2 is a better pick. Doesn't help that mk has a low skill floor.
Against top tiers, MK has a high skill floor. If your punish game is not up to scratch you will fall behind easily and get bodied by their far superior neutral game.

ぱみゅ

❤ ~
NNID
kyo.pamyu.pamyu
3DS FC
4785-5700-5699
Switch FC
SW 3264 5694 6605
Definitively bad matchups: Sheik (don't get the Leo v Mr. R record fool you, the matchup is horrible when the opponent knows how to abuse it) and Sonic.
Arguably bad/Slightly bad/Winnable/even: Bayonetta, Diddy, Meta Knight, Pikachu, Megaman, Toon Link, Greninja.
Probably decent matchups (even or positive) but annoying and things can go wrong: Cloud, Fox, Zero Suit, ROB, Bowser.
:196:

Last edited:

Meatbag

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KeithSprings
oh, then mk isn't a good pick for marth. Sheik is a loss, Diddy has the edge because of the new ruleset, and Bayo is hard. I guess he would work well against the heavies.

Faceless

Smash Rookie
I'm developing MetaKninght as my secondary.
so I have a couple of question.

What is the best way to solo practice the UpAir string to UpB ?

Do you recommend A + > or c-stick???

Also should I always go for UpAir x 5 or is character dependent?

UpAir most be executed pressing jump at the same time or is Jump first and then UpAir?

Thank you

Last edited:

nyansylveon

Smash Rookie
3DS FC
0619-5060-5926
I've been practicing MK for the past month but I haven't been able to figure out what is the best way to start the up air into Up B
string is so how do you guys think I should start it?

Top Bottom