• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Messed up C-stick

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
So I bought a gamecube controller off of Ebay a few months back and it's been working absolutely fantastically for Smash (note that I hardly ever use the c-stick). However, I began playing Wind Waker a few days ago and have realized that 9 times out of 10 my controller has about a 1 second delay before it will register a left input on the c-stick and even then it seems to be a partial input. I've tried to x+y+start to reset the controller multiple times as well as unplugging and blowing and nothing seems to fix the problem. It's worth noting that it appears my controller will default to a right input on the c-stick whenever a game starts or whenever the controller is unplugged then plugged in again. Is there any way I could fix this problem?

DippnDots

Feral Youth
If you've taken classes on electronics or messed with a circuit board before, you can probably fix it. Like, it could be the electric flow in the circuit, it could be the actual joystic, bunch of possibilities to narrow down. But this is something that needs to be diagnosed hands on by someone so I don't think you'll be able to find a lot of help online, or it might take a lot of correspondence to get to the bottom of it.

Order Nintendo brand only in the future!

Kadano

Magical Express
Has it the Nintendo logo? If not, throw it away. It's not worth repairing.

Buy an original instead. Used ones are usually okay too. White controllers usually have the best potentiometer (stick boxes), followed by Platinum and Black.

Ziodyne

Smash Ace
Actually, if anyone manages to find a relatively inexpensive way to mod 3rd party controllers so that they don't suck, I think it could help the community a lot (considering official nintendo controllers are gradually becoming more of a rarer breed nowadays).

Kadano

Magical Express
I'm pretty sure that's not possible. I've recently opened a MadCatz MicroCon, which in my opinion is one of the better 3rd party controllers (though still really bad), and it uses different control stick boxes that also are incompatible with original parts. The initial pressure threshold to move the stick a slight bit is very high, as soon as you're beyond it, there is hardly any additional resistance. This is bad because it makes tilting and walking very hard; you always smash and dash instead. The Shoulder buttons work differently too.
It's way easier to fix a Nintendo controller.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
It is an official Nintendo brand- I've learned over the years that unless I've heard repeatedly from reliable sources that a 3rd party option is good that 1st party is the only option worth considering. The controller's a orange one by the way (and yes, it does have the official Nintendo logo on it- if it's a 3rd party it's a very clever bootleg). What process would you recommend for me to go about trying to fix it?

RockinRudy

Smash Journeyman
Messed up C-stick? Those rarely come around usually the main Joystick is wobbly. Best bet is to open it up and replace the joystick with a new one. Or buy a new controller all together. Ebay is your friend and asking questions to the seller will save you time.

Kadano

Magical Express
It is an official Nintendo brand- I've learned over the years that unless I've heard repeatedly from reliable sources that a 3rd party option is good that 1st party is the only option worth considering. The controller's a orange one by the way (and yes, it does have the official Nintendo logo on it- if it's a 3rd party it's a very clever bootleg). What process would you recommend for me to go about trying to fix it?
I've written a guide here: http://smashboards.com/threads/tech...n-gamecubes-controllers-tvs-recording.335040/
Open it up so you can see the inner workings of the joystick potentiometer. Move the stick around and check if the black part south of the c-stick potentiometer that forwards the position information goes all the way left like the one on the control stick when you move it. If it doesn't, maybe it's just not sitting perfectly tight and you need to press it against the potentiometer again. If it does, there's probably an electronical problem that will be hard to solve, but I don't believe this is the case.
Anyway, if you don't manage to fix it on your own, make photos of it, maybe we can help you out.

JediKnightTemplar

Smash Lord
Something else worth noting is that I've begun to notice it's inconsistent. Sometimes it works almost perfectly, sometimes the problem is the reverse of what I stated it is above (albeit after dong x+y+start) and sometimes the input barely registers at all. I haven't gotten around to getting a triwing yet, but any other hypotheses before I go taking apart my controller?

Top Bottom