• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Meleepalooza: December 29 Bay Area Tourney (new location!!)

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
Harry: Go where? Where are we gonna go?!?!
Lloyd: I'll tell u where we're gonna go.
Lloyd: Someplace warm.
Lloyd: A place where the Simply Soda flows like wine.
Lloyd: Where beautiful women instinctively flock like the salmon of Capistrano.
Lloyd: I'm talking about a little place called...

MeleepaLOOOOOOzzaaaaa

Awwww yeaahhh boyeee, its time to smash it up!!! Bay Area style! LEZ... What better way to spend a lazy winter break day than to go to Meleepalooza!!!

Where:
Junio house
3703 Geyser Ct
Vallejo, CA 94591

707 644 3354, ask for justin or james
707 319 8320, james' cell

Towards the day of the tourney we'll post phone #'s so yall can contact us.

When:
Sunday, December 29

Time:
Sign-ups 1000-1130, PLEASE GET HERE EARLY, we're gonna bribe early goers with fooood. Forreal.
We'll have 8 TV setups so there'll also be a good opportunity to get your pre-Smash on.
In a perfect world, we'll start team battle by noon.

Rules for Team Battle:
  • $10 entry PER TEAM
  • Items LOW
  • 3-5 stock.***
  • Preliminaries consist of a variation of round robin, with randomly drawn divisions.****
  • Each round robin matchup will be a single, 3-5 stock match (again depending on # of teams).
  • Extra details about prelims: you will play each team in your division twice, with each team getting to pick a stage. During division games, you are allowed to pick stages that were pre-voted out.
  • For games against teams from other divisions...stage is either agreed upon, or if you can't agree, random select, excluding 5 stages that that are voted off by the players (you will vote during signups).
  • The first half of the prelim games will be TA ON.
  • The second half of the prelim games will be TA OFF.
  • The top 6 teams advance to a seeded, single elimination playoffs.***
  • Playoffs are best 2 of 3. Same stage selection as 1 on 1, EXCEPT for the first round...the higher seeded team gets to choose the stage.
  • You can change characters during the 2 of 3, BUT loser gets to choose character last. First round is double blind.
  • TA on/off in the playoffs will be similar to slob picks...we're not sure about this yet, check out my post at the end of the thread for details.
  • The battle does not end after the playoff finals!! The winning team MUST then play each other for majority of the pot!! Details in prize section below.

***Please note, depending on the number of teams that show up, things like stock # and playoff teams # are subject to change. For instance, the more people that come, the less # stock due to time constraints.
****As for preliminaries, we're "planning" to guarantee about 12-14 games for each team. If we get 8 or 9 teams, we'll do two full round robins, any more teams than that and we'll go to a pool format, with no less than 3 teams in each pool. You'll play each team in your pool twice, as well as single games against teams in other pools, until everyone plays 16 games.

1 on 1?
  • held at conclusion of double dragon finals in team tourney
  • $5 entry per person
  • Items LOW
  • Double elimination, best of 3 per matchup
  • 3-5 stock
  • Stage is either agreed upon, or if you can't agree, random select, excluding 5 stages that that are voted off by the players (you will vote during signups).
  • Loser picks stage and picks character second. winner can change character but he has to pick first.

Prizes
  • 3rd place: 10% of the entrance fee money, up to a maximum of $10 for the team (max of $5 for 1v1)
  • 2nd place: 20%, up to a max of $20 for the team (max of $10 for 1v1)
  • 1st place: 70%, or whatever is left after taking out the 2nd/3rd place prizes. For team tourney, this prize money will be further divided in the Double Dragon Final, where the winning team faces off against each other...winner gets 60% of the prize money, loser gets 40%!
  • Double Dragon Final is a single match, 3 stock, items low, in Battlefield.

What do YOU need to do?
Post here about your input about the dates, rules, questions, comments etc. Also, please post if you plan on coming, or if you need a teammate. Other than that, practice, and BRING YOUR OWN CONTROLLER!!

Ohhhhh sheeezy, its on. Lez smash it up.

Botsu

Smash Apprentice
****.... Well 27th-29th SHOULD be open for ME! but i'm not sure about my brother which is already starting to piss me off..... If my brother can't go i can't go... which really sucks. Rules are good i like them. I'm going for team attack off because of my lack of playing with team attack on. But either way i'm in unless my bro cannot make it :mad:

Other then that it sounds like fun!

P.S
If we arrive early would there be exhibitions going on?

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Well...

Dec. 29th is my older brother's birthday, so I have to vote for the 27th. I could still probably make it on the 29th anyway, but not without a lot of complaining.

Say, what's up with the 5 stages being voted off rule? Do we all get to vote for 5 things upon signups, or just 1?

RoyalFlush

Smash Cadet
Alright another tournement!!! :chuckle: I think Sunday would be best for me. I also really like the idea of voting out stages, but is it gonna be voted out for random only or will the competitors going to be able to choose whatever stage they like after losing?

rob1out

Smash Journeyman
LB strikes again???

umm... just wondering if people vote out a stage like final destantion (dear bob please dont let that happen), do we still get to choose it? Because if that happens, thats gonna suck for us agressive players. when obviously most players are defensive now (which seems to be the best to play as... hmm...)

And i DEFINITELY have to go to this one. Since i just missed out on the smash fest because family buisness on sunday :crazy: :( :( :cry:

Dec 28-27... 29 doesnt look too good because its a sunday.

btw? anyone willing to get another smash practice on?

AzN Shadow

Smash Cadet
Team attack off... that means... no team third impact? b@stards.

****in game and watch. ****in john-john setups.

anyway me and my brother are down for this, of course.. and any smashfests in between.

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
By the way... I think my brother coming down from Rhode Island next week, Oct 25 til Nov 2. So if anyone wants to hold a SmashFest that be cool. Cause not only do I wanna see his new skills, I want him to check out all of our new skills so that he can compare us better to the NY players.

OHHH BABY CANT WAIT TO PLAY WITH TEAM ATTACK OFF!!!

rob1out

Smash Journeyman
boy, falcos gonna be crazy with those lazers with team attack off!!!

word to the topic. and i just noticed that. and also, its changes the team game from tg3, completely. its no longer, watch out for your oponents pokemon. But that also means that there is gonna be some crazy ice climber team smashing every second. well, it you lose more you earn more.

I guess ness will be a no-show for team attack.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
Botsu, no prob from 1000-1130 there'll be exhibitions, so the earlier you get there the more playtime you get (oh yah did I mention that you'll get some food if you come early?). And when Meleepalooza ends, you can play some more until you get tired and wanna go home.

As for the 5 stages out dealie, well if your favorite stage gets voted out, for 1 on 1 and the team playoffs, you can still pick any stage for the 2nd or 3rd matches. The 5 stages out thing is only for the first match, and for the team round robin. So in round robin, yah you'd be a$$ed out, unless the other team agrees to play in the stage you want.

The intent of the voting out deal is to place more people in their comfort zone when playing. I know how it feels to have your character get counterstaged right off the bat, so voting 5 stages out should help out. I'm thinking of having a tiered voting process, where your first and second choices count more heavily than your 4th or 5th choice.

And its a good thing this baby was posted early because there might be a new idea in the works that mite change the tourney a little. We'll see how it goes, so be flexible and we'll be with you shortly.

rob1out

Smash Journeyman
smashfest october 25-nov 2nd... can't do it on saturday halo tournament that weekend.. maybe some day in the week? maybe friday the 1st... maybe i'll do it at my place.... what time are you leaving on the 2nd? cuz maybe we could set up a tournament.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Originally posted by terrakalar
(oh yah did I mention that you'll get some food if you come early
In that case, I'm coming early. Oh wait.....what kind of food?

Botsu

Smash Apprentice
Rob: friday? ouch... could you maybe change to a sunday?, cause i think most people don't get friday off..... anyways it sounds good!

terrakalar: exhibitions will be good! :) but if its on a sunday i won't be there till about 1:00.... (church) hopefully people will vote it for a friday... i better be able to make this one... and maybe my doc will come through!

itsSMASHtastic

Smash Apprentice
SCAMP: I think we'll be having breakfast food... like Bacon, Eggs, and/or Hashbrowns (stuff like that). Remember FIRST COME FIRST SERVE!!!

rob1out: My brother leaving 1200 on Nov.2 but friday might be fine for a SmashFest with my brother. If not... just screw him and lets SMASH IT UP!!!

rob1out

Smash Journeyman
lil bro

umm, i dont think sunday is a good idea EVER because thats possibly the worst day we can have ANYTHING. so yes, theres a chance we may not go to this tourney or the other tourney if its on a sunday.

Why? we are allowed many other days except for sundays, which is usally * family * day. which is why we didnt make the smash fest. well it was one of the reasons. so its either friday or saturday or something, depends on what my brother thinks. we will try out best.

Friday may be the only choice.......

time to bring out samus and ness (even though i suck with them HORRIBLY)....

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Re: lil bro

Originally posted by rob1out
umm, i dont think sunday is a good idea EVER because thats possibly the worst day we can have ANYTHING.
Why? we are allowed many other days except for sundays, which is usally * family * day.
Dude, you should make sure that * family * day doesn't conflict with TG4, which is going to be on a Sunday. I mean, you have 3 months in advance to plan. Go beg, borrow, and deal.

And I'll go to any tournament with free food. In fact, you should change the name from Meleepalooza to FREE FOOD!!!!

Mmmm...mmmm! Nothing like Vallejo home breakfast cookin'! Got any waffles?

LordLocke

Smash Journeyman
Sound like fun. Me and Cynt will definately try to be there. Sunday works best for us (No conflict for me, easier for Cynt to get off then Friday).

Time to start putting the ol' spit and polish on a few characters again. Set down the Random Select for a bit and start really whipping my tops into shape- getting wins on Cynt with Game and Watch is a lot of fun, but it doesn't really help me in a tournament.

Team Attack Off, eh? Well, that's... different. Looks like the old team dynamic won't work quite as well, but at least "Team Kill" Cynt won't get TOO much of a chance to live up to his nickname again. And besides...

...I have a cunning plan...

... and no, Rob, it doesn't involve spazzy Ice Climber smash-a-second bull-a-roonie. :p Me and Cynt might BE Double Climber players, but you'll just have to take my word for this: I got something far more EBIL in mind.

Trillian

Smash Journeyman
Sounds good. I'll be there either date... but when will that date be decided? It'd be nice to know within a month... or earlier. I like the rules... though apprently some don't. Also, is anybody offering "special bonuses"?

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
A few peeps have already submitted input about the date, so expect the date to be decided really soon, like this week or next. Waiting for confirmation on a few things like Adam's situation that weekend.

Botsu: hmmm...*if* its on a Sunday, you mite miss the 1 on 1's if you get here at 1:00.

Rules...well with the way the game is, you'll never get complete satisfaction with any ruleset. This ruleset seems reasonable, but we're always prepared to be flexible.

Special bonuses: sorry Trillian, unless one of my friends wants to put up some money, don't think we'll have any monetary out of state bonuses. You'll get some great competition though, and I'm sure you'll have a fun time while ur at it.

RoyalFlush

Smash Cadet
NOOOOO! I just found out that I'll probably be comming home from Reno on the 29th and the days before that I'll be in a tourney. This sucks, also January every saturday I have a tourney. So I might have to sit this one out. Hopefully we can work something out, tommorow I get my full schedule, but these dates look impossible for me.:(

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
Read this please!!!! Krazy Idea!!!

Dayum, I shoulda thought of this before I made up that
announcement. But read THIS because it's Very Important

First of all, it looks like we will have the event on Sunday the 29th then. I'll edit the thread soon, unless someone comes up with an urgent situation.

We're gonna change the structure of Meleepalooza quite a bit. No longer will 1 on 1 be a "scheduled" event. TEAM BATTLE will be the sole, main event.

OK before yall go flame the heck out of me, well picture this...

16 teams, divided into 2 conferences, each conference made of two divisions of four teams. You recreate the entire freaking NFL structure.

Each team plays 16 games. 6 within their division.
4 within their own "conference." 6 from the other
conference. We play week by week, with stat tracking and a "halftime" where we hold a small all star game (more on that later, just an idea).

Then you have 6 teams in a single elimination playoffs (2 wild cards). Same format as the original team playoffs; higher seed gets choice of stage in first matchup.

So will there be a 1 on 1??? Well, we're not gonna hype up a 1 on 1 tourney. If and when the team thing ends, we can have another mock 1 on 1, or a trimmed down version, or just a big smashfest. The big point of advertising as *solely* a team battle is to get everyone focused on the team concept, and so no one is disappointed if we can't hold a 1 on 1 afterwards.

We thought about this alot over the past week (hence the few updates on this), but this format will work. Feel free to post your thoughts, and hope to see you in December.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
Common Concerns

OK, we'll edit the rules with the new format soon (like tomorrow). Of course we had our own concerns about this change, its a good thing it's still two months prior so we had the ability to change things. Here were a few of our concerns and how we will deal with it:

aarrgh, no 1 on 1?
--Not as an advertised part of Meleepalooza. Like the post before, we can still have one afterwards, time permitting, or if peeps just wanna smashfest, we'll do that.
--The big point of the sole team focus, is like before, to focus on the Team aspect (since Melee IS a 4 player game), and to eliminate the time concerns of having two set tourneys in one day.

Isn't your format just like having pools?
--Sort of, but if you just have 4 pools you're restricting your play to just that pool. Having a 16 game schedule allows you to focus on winning your pool, but still be able to face other teams in the tourney.
--Facing each team in your division twice, one matchup will be in the stage of your choice, the other in your division rival's stage of their choice.

If 16 games, why not just have a full round robin?
--Having divisions spices things up. There's fierce competition to win your specific division. Plus you'll face other teams from other divisions anyways. It's possible that with the schedule setup, you won't face 1-2 teams, but you still end up playing against most of the teams.
--Oh yah, 16 games is ideal. If it seems like that may take too long, we can have 14 games or something.

What do you mean by "weeks"?
Just a fancy term to say that all the teams play their games at once... so after one "week" of playing (one rotation on the TV's), every team has played 1 game. It's just a way to help keep track of the tourney's progress.

What if not enough teams/too many teams show up?
Yah, 16 teams is ideal, but 12,15,10 teams works also. If there's only like 8 teams, we can have a round robin, and then have more time for a one on one. It's a bit flexible, and we're prepared to make schedules for every scenario (from 8-24 teams).

I don't have a teammate!!
A big concern, but my hope is that you use this thread to arrange and form teams. There's still 2 months before the tourney, and there's lots of peeps in Cali to team up with.

Again, we thought about it quite a bit, and we feel that this will be a fun and exciting tourney. Of course, we want your feedback and questions. But we're confident that it's gonna be a great smash day.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Screwball tourneys!

If you go by the NFL structure, then I call San Fran 49ers!

I'd hate to get the Browns or Bengals. Or Texans. Sheesh.

You could do a 3 vs. 3 tournament. They do these in Street Fighter. Basically the first two people play each other and whichever team loses then goes on to the second teammate. And so on and so on, until one team's third person gets eliminated. This format is usually used to save time as you get to eliminate 3 people at once, and it cuts down on the number of matches somewhat.

Or, you could have an even funkier format where 1 plays 1, 2 plays 2, and 3 plays 3. Then, whoever's left play against each other. (One team must be left with 1 guy and the other 2 for this to happen, so the team with 2 left gets to choose who plays first out of the two.)

Anyway, it's your tourney, so your rules. But I think cutting the 1-on-1 would just be wrong, as that's usually the most interesting tourney overall. Kinda like singles and doubles tennis.

EDIT: Just saw your post on Shoryuken.com. I'll bump it up if it drops to the second page. Anyway, you've gotta have 1-on-1 if you wanna integrate new competition. You've just gotta!

rob1out

Smash Journeyman
NO 1 ON 1, WHAT HAS THIS WORLD COME TO!!!!

lil bro.

as for the team being like the show of the tourney im not sure. You cant really make it the *show* or like the best part of the whole tourney. Its the people who choose it
for instance: im pretty sure matt deezie would have the team tournament the main event of his tourney if people liked the team tournament more during his tourney.

. I'm not sure, the tournament would seem like just a fun fest instead of whos team ownz j00.

or you can do 1 on 1 teams.

example:

Team Hercules
Rob1out with lil bro

VS

Team POOHzs
jr and justin

then
lil bro vs jr best out of 3 or just 1 match
Rob1out vs justin best out of 3 or just 1 match
If jr and justin win both of there matches, they win. Or if like lil bro wins and justin loses. then match which is
lilbro and rob1 vs jr and justin

that would work also... and its still got the thought of teams.

but its still one on one, you just got a partner you'll know youll never face.

smooth operator

Smash Rookie
"...Sharing horizons that are new to us..."
"Watching the signs along the way..."
"Talking it over just the 2 of us..."
"Working together day to day..."
"Together... Together..."
"WE'VE ONLY JUST BEGUN!..."

A huge team tourney... a full "season"... free food for early birds, and that's just the tip of the ice berg!

Terrakalar forgot to mention the just that "season" entails. Full stat tracking for KO's, deaths, damage taken/ received. "player of the week" salaries of $1 will be payed based on these stats. So if you earn at least 5 "player of the week"s, then you basically compete in the tournament for free!

And oh nellie =Championship Match on a 48 SQUARE FOOT PROJECTION SCREEN! Does it get better than this? I dunno, but the drama continues...

Get this! A DOUBLE DRAGON FINALE! Champions of the team tourney will face off Billy and Jimmy Lee style. They will battle for majority of 1st place pot! Losing teamate gets 40% of 1st place pot, while winning teamate gets 60%. Losing teamate receives a "special" hat while winning teamate is coronated with crown and sceptor by a special, suprise spokesmodel!

For those with a palette for 1v1's, I know cream of the crop will surely put $$$ up for grabs later in day...

As far as MELEEPALOOZA team tourney goes...
Rivalries will be born and competition will grow!

"...And on the 7th day god made MELEEPALOOZA."

Oh babee, the anticipation begins...

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
let me just bump this thread real quick so that people can see the format change that may or may not take place....we need everyone's input on this new krazy idea that terrakalar has so that we know whether to do it or not.....right now it looks like most of vallejo is down with this new format...let us all know what the rest of you guys think....

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
Yo just a quick update, I've edited the first post a bit, along with the new format. Also the date has been settled, it will be SUNDAY, December 29, mark your calendars and get a teammate.

I know it sucks cuz Adam can't make it, hopefully you can get there sometime that day cuz I'm sure peeps will be smashing late that day anyway.

Scamp

Smash Master
BRoomer
Say...

If Adam can't make it, then who's going to be Recipherus' partner?

Hmmmm....

Well, anyway, where are all the responses at? Is there more demand for a 1-on-1 tourney, or is the team tourney exciting enough?

Recipherus

Smash Journeyman
stranded

yea, if adam doesn't go i don't think i'm going to compete. although i might just go to watch because it looks like it's gonna be a lot of fun.

Mattdeezie

Smash Lord
Viens going to be in effing Vietnam, so if you wanted to we could re-do the team NYC rep. At least we'll have one other team attack off tournament under our belt.

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
recipherus is not going to compete?!?!?!?!?!

hey man...i say pair up with mattdeezie, seeing that his partner vien isn't gonna be there either....it wouldn't be as much fun without everyone participating in it....the whole point of a tourney is to participate....not to go and watch......why not show up at meleepalooza and show us the team that took action in the B.I.N. tournament.....

and it looks like LinXamuS will be a no show this tourney as well....john john will be in the phillipines during the entire winter break, so don't feel like not participating just because your original partner isn't going to show up.....do what i'm planning to do and find a temporary one just for this tournament, then drop them after....its that simple! its all for the good of the tournament...more competition equals more fun...

TheJigglyPuffer

Smash Journeyman
i 'll prolly need a partner too. dunno if tacogimp's gonna go to meleepalooza even though he's going to be in norcal for winter break.

Botsu

Smash Apprentice
Heh... I dun think i'm going... and if i did i'd probably be teamed with my brother *shrug* But if my bro doesn't wanna put 10 dollars into team tourney at TG4 i'm gonna team wit lakota... So i'm pretty much all set for the next upcoming tourneys ^-^

Master Sword

Smash Journeyman
If you're one of those people who are still skeptical about this tournament because you're concerned with not having a partner, why don't you guys post that you're gonna need a partner, and maybe someone will respond. I think that its a good idea for everyone to use this thread as a means of forming teams amongst each other so that you guys aren't left stranded at meleepalooza.

And by the way, this tournament is definitely TG calibur (seeing that vallejo has attended the last 3 and has learned a lot from Mattdeezie), so if you're looking for a tourney before TG4, this is definitely the tournament to look into.

terrakalar

Smash Journeyman
FAT BUMP

ay guys, just to let you know this party still going on the 29th.

few changes that you should take note:

1. screw it, we gonna have a 1 on 1 tourney right after the team tourney. after playing some battles last week, i realize that team matches take shorter than originally thought. also we can decrease # of preliminary games to like 12 or 14. however take note that the playoffs will still be *single* elimination.

2. mattD had a good idea, we will incorporate BOTH TA on and TA off during the team tourney. it'll be something like first half of the preliminaries will be TA on, 2nd half will be TA off. in the playoffs, the teams will have a choice of rules, but i'm not sure how it will go. there are two scenarios:
a. higher seed gets choice of TA on/off in first round, with loser picking afterwards.
b. to make it less likely for peeps to mess up switching from on to off, we can make it so higher seed gets choice for 2nd and 3rd rounds, while lower seed gets choice for 1st round. higher seed will still get choice of stage for 1st round. need your input on this one yall.

3. after realizing that we're not as rich as we thought, there won't be awards and stuff after each game. we'll probably have like "player of the first half" awards or something like that, but not after each freakin game.

In case yall forgot, Meleepalooza is on the 29th of this month. yikes!!

EDIT: i just edited the rules in the first post, so now they should be fully updated as of 5 Dec 02.

Top Bottom