• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee shine cancel in Smash 4 (Not a joke)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Okay guy's so I recently stumbled upon a Japanese player using Fox who literally preformed a melee like shine cancel in a match. The problem is I have no Idea how to preform it also from the looks of the video it seems he canceled it into a sidestep/spot dodge. I tried preforming it in training mode but had no luck. If anyone figures out how to do this please post it here. Here's the video of the shine cancel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkX-i_BACM&index=1&list=UU8Ci8QJf4zthST47g0KEtFQ

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
After it reflects something, you can jump or roll etc.

freeshooterxigbar2

Smash Apprentice
I think what you are referring to is the fact that he can roll and spot dodge out of reflecting a projectile. I didnt know it was in this game but ness and lucas could do it in brawl i think.

Loki

Smash Apprentice
Calling it Melee-shine is misleading... here I was thinking Fox dominating days migh have been back.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Calling it Melee-shine is misleading... here I was thinking Fox dominating days migh have been back.
I named it that because that was literally the first thing I thought of when I saw it. And It looks like it came out just as fast as a melee shine.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
I've already answered what is happening. After you reflect, the reflector can be cancelled.
What if people are curious and want to see the video for themselves? Also thanks for informing me on how it works I will fix the description later today.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
After it reflects something, you can jump or roll etc.
Question. I know the reflector can attack and be used to damage people. Does it work when using it for offense?

Say for example you run up to them with the intent of using the shine. Once it hits, can you immediately roll/dodge/etc.?

Gunslinger

Smash Apprentice
Question. I know the reflector can attack and be used to damage people. Does it work when using it for offense?

Say for example you run up to them with the intent of using the shine. Once it hits, can you immediately roll/dodge/etc.?
Unfortunately not, my friend. On the bright side, with the meta evolving more towards a projectile focused neutral, cancelling the shine after reflecting is a big help. I just wish Fox had a more effective projectile of his own.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
Unfortunately not, my friend. On the bright side, with the meta evolving more towards a projectile focused neutral, cancelling the shine after reflecting is a big help. I just wish Fox had a more effective projectile of his own.
Now that the games already been established, I guess it's too late to do something about it huh? There's no way to patch the game with updates?

Conda

aka COBBS - Content Creator (Toronto region)
Now that the games already been established, I guess it's too late to do something about it huh? There's no way to patch the game with updates?
There's no need. The shine also has low range this time around. Fox has other tools instead now.

Hidden Arwing

Smash Apprentice
There's no need. The shine also has low range this time around. Fox has other tools instead now.
Thought so. Oh well, it can't be helped. Drill Shine/ Shine, you will be missed.. ;w;
I know that Fox has more stuff he can do, but I can't test it out cause I don't own the game yet.

Sir Tundra

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Righteous
3DS FC
2938-7133-5824
RIP Shine 1999-2014

Why I remember the times I used to be able to shine spike all my opponents in ssb64

or

those times I spent waveshining my opponents in melee like I was styling on them.

Now can't seem to do any of that anymore.

Welp at least we still have up smash. It may not be powerful as it used to be but it still gets the job done.

Last edited:

AsymptoteG

Smash Rookie
It looks to me like he's just power-shielding. No reflector comes up and she shield hit noise plays.

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
It looks to me like he's just power-shielding. No reflector comes up and she shield hit noise plays.
If you slow the video down you can clearly see the shine come out, also the chime of the shine plays not the one of a power shield.

Shmoe93

Smash Rookie
NNID
shmoe93
3DS FC
3222-6067-0595
Didnt this happen because he shined right before the top hit him?

The Original Zeph

Smash Cadet
NNID
Ryanime
3DS FC
0516-7265-4386
Yeah so this is how it went down. He shined at the exact moment my gyro was about the connect and when you reflect with the shine you are able to jump roll shield or spot dodge out of it.

KntKumar

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
3797-9226-1052
Okay guy's so I recently stumbled upon a Japanese player using Fox who literally preformed a melee like shine cancel in a match. The problem is I have no Idea how to preform it also from the looks of the video it seems he canceled it into a sidestep/spot dodge. I tried preforming it in training mode but had no luck. If anyone figures out how to do this please post it here. Here's the video of the shine cancel https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thkX-i_BACM&index=1&list=UU8Ci8QJf4zthST47g0KEtFQ
Apparently you can spot dodge, roll and shield when you shine the projectile its in description of the video

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom