• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee running on Wii U through Homebrew (Works with Wii U Adapter now, will update OP soon)

MavenCast

Smash Rookie
Any more updates on this?
And on another note, what TV should I get if I have component on the wii to get nolag(flatscreens, not a CRT)

Krosel

Smash Rookie
Does this work on an Eu Wii U with an EU version of melee (pal) ??? And does the Wii U Gamecube Controller adapter cause any delay??

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
When I launch the melee iso from Devolution on my Wii U, I get a completely black screen. I'm able to change the wiimote controller ports and things, but my melee iso will not start. I know the melee iso works though, because it works fine on my Wii. I am using the same exact wiimote for everything. I don't know what to do!!

гυιη

Smash Cadet
NNID
Unique
3DS FC
5198-2442-2813
When I launch the melee iso from Devolution on my Wii U, I get a completely black screen. I'm able to change the wiimote controller ports and things, but my melee iso will not start. I know the melee iso works though, because it works fine on my Wii. I am using the same exact wiimote for everything. I don't know what to do!!
I've had the same problem, if I find a solution or if you find one, I'm sure it would be great to reply to the thread for others who may be experiencing the same problem.

BlurB

Smash Apprentice
I've had the same problem, if I find a solution or if you find one, I'm sure it would be great to reply to the thread for others who may be experiencing the same problem.
I have three different copies of melee- so I was able to give it a try 3 different times. Two were in considerable wear, and one was in better condition, but that doesn't explain why each ISO worked flawlessly on the wii but not on the wii u. I am confused and sorry I don't understand what made it work or not. Let me know if you find anything out and I'll keep digging for info.

Last edited:

Game Freak201

Smash Rookie
Since this thread was revived, I might as well bring this up. When I was playing Melee on Nintendont loader 1.29 with a Wii that can connect with GC controllers, The L and R buttons were only working when fully pressed. Partial presses weren't working at all; however, they did work when I loaded the game with the retail disc. Did anyone else notice this when they were trying Nintendont out on their GC controller-compatible Wiis?

ShredderN64

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShredderN64
3DS FC
3093-7074-7292
Oh, hey, just figured out how to play with the Pro controller. While Melee is running on the Wii U, press + until the blinking LED is in the P1 slot, then hit Home. It will stop blinking, and now it works!

Anth0ny

Smash Master
Oh, hey, just figured out how to play with the Pro controller. While Melee is running on the Wii U, press + until the blinking LED is in the P1 slot, then hit Home. It will stop blinking, and now it works!
Yup. Just got it working as well:

Only weird thing is the button mapping is all weird (Wii U Pro Controller Y = B in the game, B = A, A = X...). Does anyone know if there's a way to fix that? It's hella throwing me off lol

ShredderN64

Smash Cadet
NNID
ShredderN64
3DS FC
3093-7074-7292
Yup. Just got it working as well:

Only weird thing is the button mapping is all weird (Wii U Pro Controller Y = B in the game, B = A, A = X...). Does anyone know if there's a way to fix that? It's hella throwing me off lol
I believe there's a slightly modified version of the loader with CC in front of the name.

SuperUltraDX

Smash Rookie
Define “no lag”. Everything lags, so we need a certain threshold to consider something to lag. One frame is probably too long as 16.67 ms is more than 10% of good visual reaction times. So let’s say 5 ms. Even with perfect reaction times, the difference between a perfect CRT and a 5ms LCD would only be 4% of your reaction time (and less than a third of a frame). The ASUS VG248QE is advertised specifically to gamers and has 3.9 ms delay on a 1080p60 input. It’s $250—still consumer level if you ask me. So, there is incentive for the manufacturers to reduce their latency.
What's your source for the 3.9 ms delay on the ASUS? I thought it was supposed to be closer to 2 or 1 ms. I have that exact monitor. However, I use my old monitor for Smash. It's a 60hz ASUS that's also supposed to have a 2 ms latency. Using the Sewell HDMI adapter, I was still told by others that they feel lag, despite it being a fraction of a frame. I assume the majority of what they're feeling is from the monitor itself, not he conversion.

It seems like the limiting factor of LCDs is always going to be their inherent input lag. It used to be mostly due to A/D conversion and upscaling, but people are becoming aware of ways around those limitations. So I'm assuming that even if the WiiU renders Melee natively at 720p through HDMI, the TV or monitor will still cause enough lag for people to complain. There's no getting around it. Apparently even 2 ms is noticeable.

Kadano

Magical Express
What's your source for the 3.9 ms delay on the ASUS? I thought it was supposed to be closer to 2 or 1 ms. I have that exact monitor. However, I use my old monitor for Smash. It's a 60hz ASUS that's also supposed to have a 2 ms latency. Using the Sewell HDMI adapter, I was still told by others that they feel lag, despite it being a fraction of a frame. I assume the majority of what they're feeling is from the monitor itself, not he conversion.

It seems like the limiting factor of LCDs is always going to be their inherent input lag. It used to be mostly due to A/D conversion and upscaling, but people are becoming aware of ways around those limitations. So I'm assuming that even if the WiiU renders Melee natively at 720p through HDMI, the TV or monitor will still cause enough lag for people to complain. There's no getting around it. Apparently even 2 ms is noticeable.
1ms / 2ms is their advertised reaction time. Afaik, no display manufacturer ever bothered to test and publish the actual input lag.
My source is prad.de. I'm on a 2007 phone right no so finding the review is hard, but I'm sure you'll find it on your own.
Note that the VG248QE is faster on higher refresh rates, but unfortunately no smash game supports 120 fps to make use of that.

ShiroiKen

Smash Apprentice
Ok. Wow.

If this works with the upcoming USB adaptor for WiiU...

ONLY IF.

Also, we are getting overly excited for running a 13-year old game on current hardware. But in any case, YES.

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I really hope to see this supporting the new Gamecune to WiiU adapter coming out soon. Infact, there WiiU scene for homebrew seems pretty quiet these days...

LLDL

Smash Hero
Homebrew programmers will have to manually add support for the usb adapter, but hype if it does!

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
They probably both have a little, it's more of a question of if it's noticeable and if it would affect tech skill.
yea, also input lag comes from wireless controller, not from monitor... maybe..
Homebrew programmers will have to manually add support for the usb adapter, but hype if it does!
about Nintendont (loader) doing tech-skills on SSBM has a LOT of input lag. hope Smash Wii U GC adapter works on that crediar's loader via HID

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
yea, also input lag comes from wireless controller, not from monitor... maybe..

about Nintendont (loader) doing tech-skills on SSBM has a LOT of input lag. hope Smash Wii U GC adapter works on that crediar's loader via HID
Monitors always have lag unless they are CRT. Even high quality gaming monitors like BenQ and ASUS have a little (less than 1 frame but still a little bit). Yeah the wireless controller could introduce some into the set up as well.
I didn't know that the loaders would have any, but that would make sense. I hope they can get this rectified along the way

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Monitors always have lag unless they are CRT. Even high quality gaming monitors like BenQ and ASUS have a little (less than 1 frame but still a little bit). Yeah the wireless controller could introduce some into the set up as well.
I didn't know that the loaders would have any, but that would make sense. I hope they can get this rectified along the way
I'm playing Nintendont SSBM on CRT and has input lag... and played on HDTV and it's the same answer... or it's my imagination? :o

loaders with HDTV directly (no component) reduces lag... i think

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
I'm playing Nintendont SSBM on CRT and has input lag... and played on HDTV and it's the same answer... or it's my imagination? :o

loaders with HDTV directly (no component) reduces lag... i think
It depends on what you're using on the CRT TV. Component is best, then S-Video, and then Composite (single yellow RCA connection). Also a very small percentage of CRTs do have input lag on them, but most do not, or have such a small amount, people usually cannot feel it.
It could be the Nintendont loader causing it.
I'm not too educated on the Wii U Homebrew side of things since I just got my WiiU last week
Take a look at http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/27/this-tv-lags-a-guide-on-input-and-display-lag/
It's a great article with plenty of information on why it matters, and how to get around it, etc.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
It depends on what you're using on the CRT TV. Component is best, then S-Video, and then Composite (single yellow RCA connection). Also a very small percentage of CRTs do have input lag on them, but most do not, or have such a small amount, people usually cannot feel it.
It could be the Nintendont loader causing it.
I'm not too educated on the Wii U Homebrew side of things since I just got my WiiU last week
Take a look at http://meleeiton.me/2014/03/27/this-tv-lags-a-guide-on-input-and-display-lag/
It's a great article with plenty of information on why it matters, and how to get around it, etc.
I tested all CRTs TV of my house, Panasonic 24' best tv with no-lag. and has lag anyways... and HID adapters on Nintendont have pretty less lag than Wii-remote+Adapter for GC controller or CC Pro

and i tested HID wired controller using DualShock 3 and DualShock 4

Last edited:

Mechageo

Smash Ace
Bought a GCN mostly for melee.
Bought a Wii only for Melee.
Now gonna buy a Wii U only for Melee? Damnit, this game is crack.

In all seriousness, I'm reserving judgment. We've run into so many "lagless" solutions that turn out to be close but not quite there (as in there was a significant chunk of players who could feel it). I do consider chain ace a reliable source, but I'm gonna wait until we have more people stepping in and confirming. Plus, devolution is a pain in the *** to install. I really hope this works though. Output in 720p is cool enough as it is.
That or the Devolution team updates the app to support the Gamecube adapter.

JnL

Smash Knight
3DS FC
5455-9416-3843
Better is subjective. I like the anti-piracy measures.
Me too, but sometimes piracy avoid wasting a lot of bucks :3

Maybe hacking Wii plus installing HBC are part of the piracy already.

Last edited:

Nopfed

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nopfed
Hey chainace, so I have gotten this to work fine before on my TV back at home, but I am trying it again on my ASUS monitor, and I get melee to load from my Wii U just fine, but my monitor isn't displaying it in widescreen format, so when I put in the widescreen input, i have widescreen melee in 4:3 aspect ratio on my 1920x1080 HDMI monitor.

Any reason why this would be the case? I feel like the same thing happened in Anth0ny's post above? Even though I don't think he activated the widescreen hack.

EDIT: So like I figured out that if I made my wii output to 480p it would allow me to manually set it to 16:9 widescreen, which output my virtual wii and therefore my virtual homebrew to the same format. But if I do this am I getting HD melee anymore?

I thought I had it so that it was at 720 like you mention. I have also seen somewhere that there is a wad for homebrew channel that allows you to set the homebrew channel to widescreen and I am wondering if I get that homebrew app if it will put melee to 1080p widescreen ( at least that's what the wii U will be set to trying to output)

Last edited:

Vorde

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Vorde
3DS FC
4613-7807-1976
Hey chainace, so I have gotten this to work fine before on my TV back at home, but I am trying it again on my ASUS monitor, and I get melee to load from my Wii U just fine, but my monitor isn't displaying it in widescreen format, so when I put in the widescreen input, i have widescreen melee in 4:3 aspect ratio on my 1920x1080 HDMI monitor.

Any reason why this would be the case? I feel like the same thing happened in Anth0ny's post above? Even though I don't think he activated the widescreen hack.

EDIT: So like I figured out that if I made my wii output to 480p it would allow me to manually set it to 16:9 widescreen, which output my virtual wii and therefore my virtual homebrew to the same format. But if I do this am I getting HD melee anymore?

I thought I had it so that it was at 720 like you mention. I have also seen somewhere that there is a wad for homebrew channel that allows you to set the homebrew channel to widescreen and I am wondering if I get that homebrew app if it will put melee to 1080p widescreen ( at least that's what the wii U will be set to trying to output)
Just be careful with installing Wii WADs on a WiiU, I've heard of people bricking their vWii portion of their systems doing this...

Nopfed

Smash Rookie
NNID
Nopfed
SO does anyone know if someone is going to try and make it possible to recognize the new wii U gamecube controller adapter to now play melee more legit on the wii u?

I understand it doesn't currently work, mainly because it is probably not recognized through the vWii. Is it even possible to make a homebrew app that could recognize it? I honestly don't see why you couldn't other than it being technology that came out after the vWii, but I also have no idea what I am talking about lol

LLDL

Smash Hero
SO does anyone know if someone is going to try and make it possible to recognize the new wii U gamecube controller adapter to now play melee more legit on the wii u?

I understand it doesn't currently work, mainly because it is probably not recognized through the vWii. Is it even possible to make a homebrew app that could recognize it? I honestly don't see why you couldn't other than it being technology that came out after the vWii, but I also have no idea what I am talking about lol
It works. Me and stric are playing falco dittos on it right now.

Top Bottom