• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Melee Netplay Community Build - 0.2.0 released!

Are you interested in a Melee Netplay Community Build?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 1,042 97.2%
  • No, I'm not

Votes: 30 2.8%

• Total voters

SnG | Skin

Smash Apprentice
I love this netplay build, it's really fun. Is there any way I can move some of the changes from this mod to SD remix? Specifically the stages and l cancel flash. I know the latter can be done by code, but what about the former?
Stages are all available on various locations on these forums, check the texture thread for most. You can replace the stages on any melee iso pretty easily.

Chayce

Smash Cadet
NNID
C9-TANG
But you can set rumble to off on Dolphin itself, which would mean the controller won't rumble even if rumble is ON ingame.

Rumble players can't do that as turning rumble ON on dolphin would just mean that the normal rumble rules apply, meaning rumble has to be ON on both Dolphin and Melee for rumble to happen, whereas rumble only needs to be set to OFF on one or the other to remove rumble.

(I understand that I'm not the best writer. Please reply if you don't understand what I'm saying.)
I understand, it's just I don't play Netplay at all, so my response was ignorant. Sorry!

Garred

Smash Rookie
dunno if it was me or a glitch but I really love Snag the Trophies stage. so when I tried picking it in training mode, it froze the game. the menu music was continuing to play, so after 5 mins I stopped emulation.

just thought I'd report it.

HeroX3

Smash Rookie
dunno if it was me or a glitch but I really love Snag the Trophies stage. so when I tried picking it in training mode, it froze the game. the menu music was continuing to play, so after 5 mins I stopped emulation.

It's not just you.

Squid Kid

Smash Rookie
I love this build but I feel like it would make more sense to keep rumble default to ON rather than OFF as Dolphin itself defaults rumble to OFF. Players who don't use rumble just keep rumble OFF on dolphin and so if the game defaults rumble to ON it doesn't make a difference to non-rumble using players.

With the build defaulting to OFF, players who use rumble have to turn it on every time they play, which can get kind of annoying :/
You can hit down on the d-pad on the character selection screen to quickly enable rumble, but, if you would rather, you can use Gecko codes to enable/disable it from the get-go. Open up Dolphin and right click on your Community Build ISO, then select properties and go to the gecko codes tab. Once you're on that tab, click edit config, then paste the following:

Code:
[Gecko]
$Enable Rumble
043D4A70 01010101

$Disable Rumble
043D4A70 00000000
Check either of the boxes depending on if you want rumble on or off. Make sure your adapter supports it and it's turned on in dolphin. This shouldn't desync on netplay.

Thanks for reporting this.

Last edited:

Charmilio

Smash Apprentice
Not sure if this has been reported already or if it's just to my dolphin or something, but I get black bars following both characters. I've yet to see it in a netplay match but when practicing I see it constantly, could just be an offline thing. Figured it's worth mentioning, sorry if it's alreayd been explained and I haven't seen it yet.

Myougi

My posts are gluten free.
Not sure if this has been reported already or if it's just to my dolphin or something, but I get black bars following both characters. I've yet to see it in a netplay match but when practicing I see it constantly, could just be an offline thing. Figured it's worth mentioning, sorry if it's alreayd been explained and I haven't seen it yet.
Defragment your SD Card or USB. I've never seen this before. :o

Kati

Smash Lord
Loving the build so far. I'm assuming that because it has a different game id, that debug mode preferences and tags can't be saved?

Only things I can nitpick are:

Brinstar has acid, not lava :p
Debug mode has fod set to lagless by default.
Smashville song instead of fourside : [

Aktsumi

Smash Cadet
It looks very awesome. I would go as far as to change some of the character's appearance in game to match the character's appearance in the selection menu btw I where can I donwload the soundtracks you used in the game?

Noobly

Smash Rookie
Ok guys, quick and probably stupid question, but I noticed that in the op that it was said that this netplay build might be compatible with dios mios melee. I was wondering if this meant that the dios mios net play could play against computer netplay. If this is the case, I was wondering if someone could point me towards a set up guide as I am not proficient in modding.
Also I was wondering how this version of net play connects computer to computer as I have had security issues with other fan made peer to peer connections before and would not like to have to wipe my computer again.
Sorry if any of this was answered in the op I must have missed it/wasn't reading carefully enough.

Myougi

It looks very awesome. I would go as far as to change some of the character's appearance in game to match the character's appearance in the selection menu btw I where can I donwload the soundtracks you used in the game?
I'd rather shy away from changing any in-game cosmetics as this can mess with matches in various ways. As far as the soundtracks go, there's a song list in the main post.

Ok guys, quick and probably stupid question, but I noticed that in the op that it was said that this netplay build might be compatible with dios mios melee. I was wondering if this meant that the dios mios net play could play against computer netplay. If this is the case, I was wondering if someone could point me towards a set up guide as I am not proficient in modding.
Also I was wondering how this version of net play connects computer to computer as I have had security issues with other fan made peer to peer connections before and would not like to have to wipe my computer again.
Sorry if any of this was answered in the op I must have missed it/wasn't reading carefully enough.
The build itself can be booted up on DIOS MIOS (or other GC backup homebrew software), but you can't play people online with it on a console though those means. The just is that I was mentioning that it can be played on a console, not just though an emulator. Sorry for the confusion.

Loving the build so far. I'm assuming that because it has a different game id, that debug mode preferences and tags can't be saved?

Only things I can nitpick are:

Brinstar has acid, not lava :p
Debug mode has fod set to lagless by default.
Smashville song instead of fourside : [
Debug menu preferences and tags can't be saved because we skipped over the save/load points on most of the parts on the main menu. GameID doesn't really have anything to do with that (aside from if it could save you couldn't use those settings with vMelee).

Brinstar does indeed have acid, and I'll fix the stage preview text in the future.
Debug mode has FoD set to lagless for netplay purposes, but I suppose it would be better if it was default set to normal in hindsight. I'll also fix this in the future.
Smashville-Fourside's new music is probably going to stay despite how awesome Fourside's original music was. :p

Last edited:

Noobly

Smash Rookie
The build itself can be booted up on DIOS MIOS (or other GC backup homebrew software), but you can't play people online with it on a console though those means. The just is that I was mentioning that it can be played on a console, not just though an emulator. Sorry for the confusion.
That's cool, I expected as much but asked just in case. As to the other question I had, how does this build connect computer to computer, because in researching how to play melee online, I found that some people use Hamachi while others use direct connect (Smash ladder in particular uses this method I believe) and others port forwarding. The only reason I ask is I want to know what everyone else uses and make sure its safe/safely set up. I have gotten viruses/malware by using Hamachi (for the old pokemon redshark tcg simulator) before and wanted not have that happen this time if ya know what I mean.

Myougi

That's cool, I expected as much but asked just in case. As to the other question I had, how does this build connect computer to computer, because in researching how to play melee online, I found that some people use Hamachi while others use direct connect (Smash ladder in particular uses this method I believe) and others port forwarding. The only reason I ask is I want to know what everyone else uses and make sure its safe/safely set up. I have gotten viruses/malware by using Hamachi (for the old pokemon redshark tcg simulator) before and wanted not have that happen this time if ya know what I mean.
The quickest and safest way is to use a direct connect though Dolphin's traversal servers. All of the players on Anther's Smashladder use this. The build is just a modified ISO and works pretty much how vMelee does in terms of connecting to others.

Noobly

Smash Rookie
The quickest and safest way is to use a direct connect though Dolphin's traversal servers. All of the players on Anther's Smashladder use this. The build is just a modified ISO and works pretty much how vMelee does in terms of connecting to others.
Thanks for all the help Myougi, there's not much of a melee scene where I am from so hopefully will be able to start smashing online with yall once my gc/usb adapter arrives. :D :D :D

blargh257

Smash Apprentice
NNID
blargh257
Question: How frequently used is this on Anther's compared to standard Melee?

Last edited:

Myougi

Hey, and can you put on the next build DI on the CPU?
No. That would affect Nana and would skew games slightly. If you really want CPU's to DI in more directions than specific angles, use the 20XX hack pack to practice alone.

Question: How frequently used is this on Anther's compared to standard Melee?
Fairly frequently from my findings. Whenever I play a match I usually ask if they have the build or just vMelee and 9/10 they have the Community build and will play it. :3

smoke070

Smash Cadet
I created a tutorial on how to create the ISO file in case any people are having trouble:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
So, I just downloaded it to play it on my hacked Wii on Homebrew Channel with a USB Loader (I load the patched SSBM ISO 1.02 from my SD card) and when I play it, it automaticaly leads me to the multiplayer mode like the 20XX Training Pack would do, but when I go back to the menu or select a stage, it crashes the moment I go back or select select a stage, but the music keeps playing. Anyone knows what can I do to fix this?

Myougi

So, I just downloaded it to play it on my hacked Wii on Homebrew Channel with a USB Loader (I load the patched SSBM ISO 1.02 from my SD card) and when I play it, it automaticaly leads me to the multiplayer mode like the 20XX Training Pack would do, but when I go back to the menu or select a stage, it crashes the moment I go back or select select a stage, but the music keeps playing. Anyone knows what can I do to fix this?
The build is supposed to boot up to the CSS, that's normal.
Try de-fragmenting your SD card/USB. Those crashes shouldn't be happening.

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
The build is supposed to boot up to the CSS, that's normal.
Try de-fragmenting your SD card/USB. Those crashes shouldn't be happening.
I've already de-fragged my SD card before even having your NCB. Does that count?

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Doesn't that lower the life of your SD card?
An SD card has something like 5-10k rewrites. The SD Association site itself, which is likely propaganda given the source, says that's an average of 10 years for a modern card. I don't think you have much to worry about. Plus it's not like SD cards for these types of contain much, if any data that would even need to be backed up assuming a loss occurs.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
An SD card has something like 5-10k rewrites. The SD Association site itself, which is likely propaganda given the source, says that's an average of 10 years for a modern card. I don't think you have much to worry about. Plus it's not like SD cards for these types of contain much, if any data that would even need to be backed up assuming a loss occurs.
Should I backup my files before defragging then?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Stormghetti post: 20111281 said:
Should I backup my files before defragging then?
Do you have anything on it you couldn't get back in 10 minutes?

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
No, Defrag doesn't delete anything. I'm saying in the event the card failed. If not, don't worry about backing it up.
Well, what would defragging my SD card would do to fix my main problem anyways? (I bought this SD card about 1 year ago or some months ago).

Last edited:

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
Well, what would defragging my SD card would do to fix my main problem anyways? (I bought this SD card about 1 year ago or some months ago).
For Flash Memory, like an SD it offers almost no benefits as far as I'm aware. I was merely stating that it wouldn't be wholly detrimental. I'd actually probably format it and redownload the files if I was experiencing crashes. If that didn't work, run a "chkdsk" on the card to check file system integrity.

Last edited:

Stormghetti

Smash Journeyman
Slippi.gg
STRM#798
NNID
Stormghetti
For Flash Memory, like an SD it offers almost no benefits as far as I'm aware. I was merely stating that it wouldn't be wholly detrimental. I'd actually probably format it and redownload the files if I was experiencing crashes. If that didn't work, run a "chkdsk" on the card to check file system integrity.
I've already formated my SD card, but then I deleted the files and put the backup again... *Facepalm* I should've let the files like they were and replace them with re-downloaded files, right?

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
I've already formated my SD card, but then I deleted the files and put the backup again... *Facepalm* I should've let the files like they were and replace them with re-downloaded files, right?
Pretty much. Either your local files are corrupt or you should run chkdsk on the SD card.

SinsOfApathy

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Psion312
What's "chkdsk"? Also, I did that because I thought formatting would delete the files... Or screw them up.
Formatting will delete files. That's the point, if you have corrupted files.

Chkdsk is a command-line process to check file system integrity. It usually starts prompting you with it before a harddrive fails or if an SD card has corrupted. It won't delete files generally.

About to go into class, but Google should have explanations.

Top Bottom